Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Volguus posted:

You don't want to either.

Very true. I'm not one of those idiots in compilations that seek trouble just because of the dash cam though. I let most things slide and just adapt to it. I hate people who pass and then go back in about 1 car length in front of me when there are no cars behind them. gently caress them and the stone chips they bring with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
If they are going the same way as me on a single lane road, I'll let people in. If not, never. It's super dangerous.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

SlapActionJackson posted:

If you have time to say "Woah" a full second before impact, you have time to panic brake from 30mph. Put the brake pedal on the floor.

Like all the morons in the dashcam videos that honk before even moving their foot toward the brake pedal. So drat tiring to see. Also, when I taught my wife to drive I always told her to be super careful in towns when there are two lanes going forward and the car in the lane next to you is stopping for no reason and you can't see why.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I too have the A129 pro duo and it seems to be working fine. I'll be honest though, nothing has happened since I got it over 6 months ago, so haven't had a reason to check. The only bad thing is that the front plate that you can connect and power it to doesn't seem to like the power input, so I ran the micro-USB straight to the front facing cam. Apparently a common problem, but doesn't really matter more than it's an extra step if you want to remove the front camera. Oh and I've had maybe 3-4 "corrupotions" of the SD card that it bleeps about when starting it. Can sometimes be solved by restarting and formatting in the cam, but once I had to remove the SD card.
I've got a plug-in hybrid, so I don't have to worry about the battery going flat as the car pulls from the big battery to the 12V battery if need be. The kit I bought from VIOFO in Europe had all the fuse cables etc needed. The USB cable to the rear cam was more than enough to feed cleanly to the rear hatch.
I drive a KIA Optima PHEV Sportswagon.

I don't know about the power req. I run mine of the steering wheel heater which is a 10A fuse, and I forget which constant I chose, but probably 10A as well. Turning the steering wheel heat on does not mess with the camera or blow any fuses.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Charles posted:

Does your DC-DC converter engage when the car is off?

No idea. If it's the thing that the manual says enables the 12v battery to be topped up by the hybrid battery, I guess yes? Not familiar enough with what a DC-DC converter does etc to say much about it. :)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Charles posted:

On a full EV at least it will not charge the 12V battery with the car off. It usually disconnects the high-voltage battery entirely (loud click). But a dashcam isn't a huge drain.

I checked the owners manual. The KIA Optima has a "AUX Battery Saver+" mode for the Plug-in hybrids that monitor the charge level of the "extra" 12V battery and will recharge it using the high voltage battery. If it happens too often though it will throw an error message with the motivation that something must be wrong if it needs charging too many times (more than 10 times in a row, and it charges for 20minutes at a time). I haven't had it whine at me. Only when I sit in the car shut off but with infotainment on for long periods of time.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

There are legitimately people who will take no action to avoid an accident because they have the ROW. I’ve dealt with a number of them over the years in the insurance world. They’re always surprised when they get hit with some degree of fault after just telling you they saw the guy merging and didn’t try to avoid it in any way, or even accelerated to close the gap.

These people are the worst.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Zero One posted:

Umm... Except for the very last video I didn't see any that were the camera owner's fault.

Unless you think getting cut off by someone who should be giving you the right of way is your fault?

If you don't do anything to prevent something you can see happening (even if it technically isn't your fault), you are a poo poo driver. This is also why insurance providers assign blame where the police doesn't.
Like mentioned, many of the dashcam people (especially if they upload more than once) go out of their way to be assholes that escalate situations. I wonder how these people think where they could have just let off the gas and let someone in, but instead chose to spend time and money having their car in for repairs after a totally avoidable accident...

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

So many stupid mistakes in this one. More than usual. The "I'm not really stressed about anything" girl doing a hard brake for a yellow that turns red is why we are taught to just run the yellow in driving school here in Sweden. If you can't slow down safely, you should run it. Obivously if she wasn't on the phone and paid attention she'd be stopping for it in time as there was plenty of warning. I guess she's stressed now.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
^^^Yeah the hit and runs are infuriating. Especially the dumbasses with the big rear end bullbars with 0 spatial awareness.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

lmao imagine thinking rear ending someone is the other person's fault

They are both bad at driving. Neither were paying attention.There is another example later in the video of a van slamming on the brakes as the light turns. Again a case of both being bad at paying attention, but if they had just carried on there would be no accident.
Just saying that it's what we were/are taught in driving ed precicely because of situations like this. We don't have red light cameras or incentives for the local police to get money from tickets. Yellows are generous here and if you are about to pass it, there is plenty of time to get through the intersection before it turns red (and even more time before it gets green for the crossing traffic). Everything to minimize accidents.

Sagebrush posted:

... that you're supposed to look at the pedestrian signal for the crossing street and/or count the number of cars stacked up waiting and infer whether it's a fresh or stale green, and be ready to stop for the yellow accordingly.

I actually do this when I drive, but I think it's kinda unreasonable to have that kind of requirement on a drivers test.

VVV: 100% agree.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 13, 2021

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I dunno, we have plenty of protected left turns at the end of the cycle in my city in Sweden. It's always at 40km/h speeds though. The only problem that ever arises is that people don't understand that the green arrow means that they have priority over everyone (including pedestrians on the street they are turning onto) and just sit there waiting for traffic going the opposite way to fully stop. Doesn't happen very often though.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Nitrox posted:

Maybe they're waiting for traffic to stop because they don't want to participate in a collision.

Nah they just don't know that the green arrow means that the traffic coming the opposite way has a red light and have had it for the duration of the time. I mean if you can't trust that people will stop for a red light, it'll be pretty hard to drive in cities. Like I said, it's not a problem here beside the rare, rare occasions where what I described happened.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Russian Bear posted:

Haha look at this rule following Swede thinking that a red light stops Americans. Driving around Stockholm was a treat ime.

I'll always wait for at least the first row of cars coming the other way to actually stop before I take the trailing left turn arrow (unless there's no one coming).

I stop for red lights in the middle of the night on empty streets. :unsmith:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Teslas surveillance system might be in some trouble here in Sweden for the same reason. Counts as a surveillance camera which you need a permit for in order to have it film public areas. I mean tons of people do it with after market dashcams, but it's a bit different when it's OEM.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm not for narcing (to the police) on people taking drugs because it doesn't help... but calling it a victimless pursuit is a bit strong.

Narc on that driver though. They were probably on their phone when they missed the red light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Unless you can find a reputable review for that, I'd probably give it a miss and see if one of the known good brand had a Black Friday deal (Viofo has) going.