Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Wamsutta posted:

I lost it at the guy in the black crossover leaving his poo poo in drive and getting out.

This one is pretty golden, too:

(I think that's even the same model Infiniti)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I can't determine whether she's egging him on or admonishing him. I prefer to assume the latter.

E: I know the truck shouldn't have been in the left lane, but man that Honda driver is a gigantic rear end in a top hat.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 29, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

mobby_6kl posted:

The camera vehicle was at worst a minor annoyance at the beginning, though it reacted in the worst possible way to the Accord's dumbass provocation.

Anyway, at least it wasn't this, jfc :gonk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKx-iDeceac&t=80s (from 1:20, if it doesn't jump there automatically)

Holy poo poo I didn't expect that.

That was like a perfect worst-case scenario.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

West SAAB Story posted:

Singapore. Followed upstream from Channel->Website->License Plate. Keep in mind this video was made SPECIFICALLY to sell one of these cameras, and they probably didn't want to destroy things just to flip for a meager USD profit..

This should make things normal again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-Mi2GpST54

Seeing that car sitting at the lights with the reverse lights still on. you know exactly what's going to happen when the lights change.

And then it doesn't, but the driver still fucks up royally.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Some dude nearly t-boned me today. I was turning left, 3rd in line already in the intersection and the guy in front was a bit slow to react, so we were still in the process of turning when the light turned green in the other direction.

Some monumental shitbag decided that this was his chance to floor it and lay on the horn, missing me by who knows how little. WTF man?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mantle posted:

It's not clear who was at fault in the OP's situation.

1) You can't know which legal jurisdiction applies to the OP's situation because you don't know where the incident occurred.

2) You don't actually know who has right of way in the OP situation because you are missing facts on direction of travel, speed of travel, timing of signal change relative to position in the intersection, all of which can affect right of way.

You're just coming to that conclusion because you've filled in the missing facts with assumptions.

Actually, he's 100% correct. You are not allowed to enter an intersection until it is clear, no ifs or buts. The "green light gotta stomp my go pedal" idiot was absolutely at fault.

Green doesn't mean "you have the unobstructed right of way", it means "go, but only if the intersection is clear".

I regularly stop at green lights because traffic prevents me from clearing the intersection before the light changes. It pisses off some people, but I'm not getting stuck in the middle of an intersection just because some impatient douchebag wants me to. Blocking intersections is extremely bad karma.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 11, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mantle posted:

Motor vehicle liability is a complex area of law with lots of issues that can affect liability. If you think that you can just apply an absolute rule to your situation I encourage you to represent yourself in court against an insurance agency's personal injury lawyer next time you are involved in an accident. You will learn a lot.

Luckily, I have a good insurance company (including unlimited legal assistance) on my side to handle that bit, should it ever come to that.

And in this case, it would actually have been exactly that clean-cut. I was in a line of cars, all legitimately waiting to turn left. He was stopped at a red light and if he had hit me, it would have been 100% deliberate, as he would have had to accelerate from a complete stop straight into a car that was right in front of him.

I was in the intersection. No matter what color the light is, that means he still has to yield to me until I have cleared the intersection. And sometimes it takes a little while to clear the intersection of left-turning vehicles because of late-yellow/red light jumpers.

Don't forget, I was there. You weren't. Don't make assumptions.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 11, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

WTF, that car literally came out of nowhere.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

So, the G1W is pretty much the go-to dashcam right now, despite the questionable construction?

Has anyone tried the Powerucc PanoramaII? It's significantly more expensive, but from looking at dashcamtalk.com, it's the bee's knees.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Coredump posted:

Is there a reason the Mobius camera isn't more of a consideration for dashcams?
http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/7/8/the-mobius-camera-the-do-it-all-mount-anywhere-1080p-micro-c.html

I've heard that it tends to overheat.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

slidebite posted:

I'm in the market for a dashcam and really dig how tiny the Mini 0801 is and how you can pretty much tuck it behind the review mirror out of site.

Are there any other ones that small that I should be considering? I'd like something that isn't obvious in plain view so I don't have to take it off every night.

The Moebius is quite small and unobtrusive, as is the G1W when mounted with the optional rear view mirror mount:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281305105027

Those three are pretty much my shortlist for which dashcam to get.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CharlesM posted:

Yes that's what I have now and it works flawlessly unlike the Mini 0801 I had at first.

Is it as huge as it seems from the pictures and description?

I want something discreet, right now I'm considering a Mobius with the wide-angle lens. Although the native 12V power supply on the PanoramaII is pretty sweet.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Every few seconds that video gets worse and worse and worse. :stonk:

6:42 is my favorite :allears:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 28, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Today, as I was waiting behind another car to turn left, some turdface in his turdbucket Kia tried to cut in front of me from the street on the right to barge into the same street I was turning on to.

He had the most incredulous look on his face when I honked at him and didn't let him in.

So yeah, I've just ordered a Mobius cam with a few accessories, and I have a plan for a nice stealthy install similar to what the Techmoan guy has done. That huge rain sensor housing behind my rear view mirror has all kinds of space for hiding gadgetry.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If you put a 32GB card in it, i think that's about 8 hours of footage at 1080p. But really, the most important bit to record is the one leading up to the crash, so i think having it hooked up to ACC power is fine.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Apparently my car is wired for an auto-dimming rear view mirror, which is great because I've kind wanted one for a while. But it's doubly awesome because it means ignition-switched 12V power is available centimeters away from where my camera is going to sit, thus making the install ~100 times easier.

I guess what I'm saying is make sure to check for an easier power connection before committing to snaking a cable all the way across the roof lining, down the A-pillar and behind the dash :)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Why? If it's anything like the connection in my car, the plug for the mirror will have three wires. One is 12V, one is chassis ground and the last one is for undimming the mirror when the car is in reverse.

If you have a multimeter and a couple of pins (sewing needles will do) or short bits of thin wire, it's pretty easy to figure out the connections. The multimeter I'm using cost like $10 at the hardware store.

Of course, then you need a bit of electronics work to wire up the 12V->5V converter, but it's definitely on the simple end of wiring projects.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You bought the cheapest decent dash cam available. I say if the new sd card doesn't do anything, just get a new cam. I'd go with the local store, since the price difference is so small.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Generally I would say that a wider angle lens is better, at least up to 140-150° or so, in order to better see crossing traffic or other cars in roundabouts. Beyond that you get way too much fisheye effect.

But I guess it's best to see for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Oxa55qF88A

Wide angle lenses can also be kind of a two-edged sword. They make stuff look like it's farther away, which in some cases can make it hard to read license plates. Compare the Mobius cam with the wide lens and the standard lens on this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BytEb6LDkk

Personally, I would probably get the H over the C, for the slightly wider angle lens, and the all-black housing (although that is pretty easy to replicate with a bit of tape).

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 5, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

From what I gather, a number of cams have an issue where they will stop recording once the card is full, instead of recording over the oldest file.

Which brand, size and speed card are you using? Apparently class 10 cards can be finicky, and class 4/6 are the ones to go for.

The first thing I'd try is to reformat using the camera. If that doesn't help, try a different card.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 5, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Laserface posted:

I also compared my footage to you guys and your cameras and holy poo poo is mine bad. can barely read number plates further than a few feet away from the car in day light. it almost makes a good case to use an old gopro or cough up for a blackvue.

BlackVue cameras are expensive, but that doesn't mean they're the best you can get.

If you troll around http://dashcamtalk.com/ a bit and read the reviews etc., there are better options for less, like for instance the Powerucc Panorama II.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You can buy a wide angle lens for the Moebius. Some sellers offer it pre-installed.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've been using my B40/A118 for a day now, and so far no issues. It's ever so slightly blurry at the edges (and ~5% more blurry on the right than on the left), but hey, it's a cheap wide angle lens, and even my GoPro isn't completely sharp at the edges. It's most noticeable on the road sign in the last picture, and from looking at Youtube videos, that's just how the camera is.

No thermal issues to report, but today hasn't exactly been super warm, 4°C in the morning and 18°C as I was driving home from work. As long as I'm not hit with the blur issue, I'm very satisfied.

E: I might just get one for the rear window as well.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 23, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:stonkhat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-0E2Nxtm6o

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dick Trauma posted:

I know I should not read Youtube comments but jeeeeesus christ... :stare:

Yeah, that's bad even by YouTube standards.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MiniFoo posted:

Just found out that my dashcam hasn't been "recording" for about three weeks now. The recording light had been blinking to signify that it was, but it wasn't writing anything to the SD card. I updated the firmware today and it seems to have resolved itself, but this thing is stupid.

If anybody wants the same form factor that I got, though, I'd look into this version instead. Seems to have higher quality parts, a custom firmware specific to its hardware revisions, and much better customer support.

Well drat, I'll have to check mine and see if it's dead, too.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

As I was turning left onto my street today, I had just put on my blinker and this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1bwO5IVR7M

:catstare:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Locator posted:

A local autocross group does a yearly 'teen driver school' thing that I instruct at. One of the things we run the kids through is full ABS stops, both in a straight line, and while making an emergency lane change. I'd say that 9 out of 10 of them do not get into the ABS until the 5th or 6th run through the scenario, even with an instructor sitting with them yelling to push the pedal harder (and having started the thing by demonstrating ABS with them riding along).

I think it was Mercedes that did some sort of a study while working on their automatic braking system that determined something like 50% or more of drivers in simulated barrier collisions never used more than 80% of the braking and did not engage ABS.

A lot of newer cars will automatically apply the brakes 100% if you go from the gas to the brake quickly, no matter how gently you press the brake.

It was rather startling the first time it happened in the Panda.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Locator posted:

Could be, but in that case, this description that I was replying to:

is completely wrong, otherwise I'd get it engaging constantly. I do my best to not do fast transitions from gas to brake, but there are at least a few times each day during the commute that someone decides they need to be in my lane right when I would normally be transitioning from gas to coast, or even while I'm accelerating, that require a judicious application of brakes straight out of acceleration.

Also - I've autocrossed the Focus a few times now, and I left-foot brake a lot while autocrossing, sometimes very hard braking coming off full throttle, and I've never noticed anything, and the only times I've been in ABS where when I wanted to be.

An exaggeration and misinterpretation from my side, you probably have to go straight from the gas to at least 25-50% braking or something like that before it kicks in. I only ever had it kick in accidentally once or twice in the Panda. It also prevented a collision once when my ex-GF was driving and some jerkoff pulling a trailer swerved right in front of us and braked. She remarked that the Panda braked a lot harder than she expected it to, so I figure the system overrode her input and slammed the brakes.

The 500 has it too, and given that a couple of AIers own 500s and probably drive them in a spirited manner, if the system was too intrusive, we'd have heard about it.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 5, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Here's one to revive this semi-dead thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=molbgVu54jg

(Audio changed due to copyrighted music. Also swearing. Youtube's ad-free music options are hilarious.)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Here's another beauty. A bike's a bike, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln45CRHWSmA

(Yes, it's a motorcycle, not a moped or anything else that's allowed on the bike path.)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CharlesM posted:

Are those street lamps suspended overhead?

Yes, it's very common in Copenhagen, and they light up the streets quite well.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

drukqs posted:

not sure if I spammed this here yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEg5iU4MbVM

Something I really don't get is why people overtake trucks on the right.

Just hang back for a couple of seconds, give them space to merge all the way to the right, and then pass them on the left. So much safer for all involved.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

E: Original posts:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3739469&userid=135033

I am so loving pissed off right now, I'm almost shaking.

I just got a mail from my insurance company with the statement from the other involved party (actually her husband) from when I was sideswiped way back in September. Obviously, it tries to put into doubt everything I put in my statement, and claims that as we were approaching the light, we both slowed down* and that I deliberately put her life in danger by forcing her into the oncoming lane. Words like "angry", "unthinkable", "pushing", "far out" and "threatening" are used.

Well, "angry" is correct at least. Because you're drat straight I get pissed off when somebody deliberately sideswipes me.

They also make a point of mentioning that I told the driver I had dashcam footage, but that this was not provided along with the original statement, so obviously that footage must put me in a bad light. Nevermind that the reason I didn't attach it was that I was unsure of the legality of using it. Obviously I will send it to the insurance company now that it's become a "he said, she said" thing.

* Despite the fact that she also claims to clearly have heard me accelerating. I would think that if she was slowing while I was accelerating, I would have passed her quite easily. As I was in fact accelerating, she would have had to be accelerating as well from her original slower speed, in order for us to even be side-by-side as they're claiming.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 21, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I have uploaded the relevant footage to Dropbox (including the preceding video showing perfectly normal driving, for context) and drawn a couple of sketches of the situation. The links to these files have been sent to my insurance company along with an almost verbatim repeat of my original statement, with additions pointing out the specific events in the video and a couple of lines added to rebuff the other party's accusations.

Most notably, she claims that I accelerated wildly alongside her, while the video clearly shows that I accelerated hard-ish from the light and thus actually stayed in front of her the whole way until I had completed my lane change, after which she accelerated alongside of me and sideswiped me.

Her whole explanation doesn't add up at all. She claims that I must have been annoyed at her driving slowly in the left lane and sideswiped her for some reason, but I was in front of her, so why would I be bothered by her driving slowly? In fact, if she had just been driving slowly in the left lane, there wouldn't have been an issue at all.

All this goddamn bother for a simple sideswipe that happened all the way back in goddamn September. gently caress that noise. I'm trying to stay as civil and neutral in my descriptions as possible, instead of resorting to accusations like she's doing.

I'll probably upload the footage to Youtube once the case is done and closed.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 22, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

6:44 :stare:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

On my way home from work today, I had the typical white van driver right up my backside, tailgating so hard I couldn't even see his headlights in my rear view mirror and swerving and looking like he was trying to overtake constantly, despite traffic and absolutely no room at all to get a van past. When I finally took my left turn, he passed me so closely I was 100% sure he was gonna bust my right side mirror.

So in light of this, and my recent bullshit insurance case where some bitch claimed I merged right over into her, and I had a hell of a time arguing with my insurance company since I only had forward-facing video, I've decided to get another dashcam and move my current cam to the rear window.

I've ordered the StreetGuardian SG9665GC, since it gets great reviews, and because it's basically an improved version of the B40/A118 I have now, so I can just reuse the mount and everything else. They also say the power supply is improved to reduce radio interference, so I'll probably swap that as well. The noisy power supply will be fine in the rear of the car.

It was a bit pricy at ~£200, but it's still less than my deductible.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 4, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I prefer the B40/A118 form factor:

https://dashcamtalk.com/b40-a118/

But there are some reports of reliability problems, so YMMV. Mine has been fine so far. I've ordered the fancy-pants version (SG9665GC), which is based on completely different hardware and a much better lens, but has the same casing. It's also significantly more expensive, but that form factor is just perfect.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

My A118 crapped out on me a couple of weeks ago. Luckily I was only using it as a rear camera, I've been using a Streetguardian SG9665GC as my front camera for a while, and it's been awesome so far. Kinda expensive, but the image quality and just overall quality is so much better.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's the exact same case, all the window mounts and so on are 100% compatible. Despite that, the A118 is low-end/mid-range at best, while the SG is a high-end dashcam.

The A118 uses an older Novatek processor and an Aptina sensor, pretty standard for affordable cams. OK video quality, but nothing to brag about. The SG uses a newer more powerful processor and a Sony sensor (same as in the high-end cams), plus a much better lens. It has much better video quality, especially at night, where the difference is dramatic. The HDR function works great thanks to the newer processor, and helps night video a lot. There is also a difference in assembly quality. My A118 was kinda blurry on the left side of the image, the SG is perfectly clear and sharp across the whole image.

The Streetguardian guy is a regular at the dashcamtalk.com forums, so it's pretty easy to get support for any issues, and firmware updates are high quality and actually fix the issues they promise to fix. I know I could have gotten three A118s for the same price, but since dashcams are supposed to be set-and-forget, IMHO they need to be as reliable as possible and not crap out randomly like my A118 did. The SG comes with a GPS antenna and a bunch of extra mounts and other goodies in the box, too. It even came with a decent-quality plastic spudger for trim removal.

The button to lock the current video actually works on the SG, it never did on my A118.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Holy poo poo, shooting him just made him even more angry.

That dropkick on the rear window was pro as gently caress.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xsqXo8pW2c

bolind posted:

how hosed is a car if someone bends the doors all the way forward like that?

It would need extensive panel work at at best, or more likely a new door+hinges+quarterpanel.