Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
So, uh, ever done some accidental fleeing & eluding?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMhabEpqF7A&t=30s

I gotta assume he wanted to get me for coming in a little hot in a 65 zone... Honestly though, I had a last-second change of heart & decided to take the State route instead of the tollway.

Start at :00 for some bonus commentary from Mr. Reznor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Wait so why isn't the hay truck even attempting to gear down/slow down and just barreling full speed toward his red light? He's got no indication its about to change.

Also how the hell does a fully-loaded truck brake check a car like that... I get that landyachts were big & brakes sucked then, but jeesh.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

IOwnCalculus posted:

I get perhaps mashing that button if you end up actually in a wreck where the video will be necessary, but.. are people putting in 256MB SD cars or something? I can get hours and hours and hours on a 64GB card and if something interesting happens you better believe I'm plugging that poo poo in as soon as I get home to :justpost:

Ten years ago, the coaches I drove had drive cams mounted with one eye out the windshield and another shooting back to catch the driver and pax. We could reasonably be out for a week at a time, running 10+ hours a day or longer with relief drivers mixed in. We as drivers were locked out of the cams.

The save function was triggered by shock and G sensors, but you could also lean over and slap the red button with your clipboard if you wanted. Sometimes I'd do it if I'd seen something cool or crazy up ahead, and get a thumbs up from the safety manager later on.

I guess it's one of those features that's just there from inertia of it, so why get rid of it? Also for the safety manager, it was nice to have a curated playlist of all their drivers' hard brake events to look for hints of distracted driving.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

GOD IS BED posted:

Is there an add a circuit without low battery protection that has a mini-USB end that I could use on a switched circuit?

How I ran power to my cam, I cracked open the cigarette lighter plug that came with my cam and used its guts as the bridge between +12v to +5v USB, wrapping it in electrical tape and just kinda stuffing it in the fuse box. I soldered the +12v input lead to the pigtail of a fuse tap, plugged that into a switched circuit in the fuse box, and screwed the negative lead onto the chassis. Bing, bang, boom, pretty simple and all I had to buy was the fuse tap (and soldering stuff I already had).

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

sharkytm posted:

2 wrongs make a right, right?

no that's a double-wrong, you're thinking of three lefts

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Reminds me of my neighbor, who had a jeep with one of those forward rollover hoops mounted on the front bumper, and his wife's car, which wore two dents in the rear deck lid spaced the same width as the bars of the hoop were. Yes, their driveway had a slope to it.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I'd see about a drive cam system that has a camera on a cord that can be sent out to the rear of the car, like those aftermarket back-up cameras that bolt on with the license plate bracket

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

IOwnCalculus posted:

I really doubt that this went from "silent and smooth" to "yeet" just like that.

Absolutely true, which is one of the reasons this whole thing makes my blood boil. Nobody can guarantee that if there were two infants in car carriers in that Kia, and/or a frail mother in law, whoever, that all would have survived the flip. All due to careless actions of the driver.

It would be one thing if the truck was factory stock and making noise from being run into the ground, and the poor driver didn't notice before the wheel let go. No, this driver made a conscious choice to go out and spend money either buying this truck modified or modifying this truck, then ignoring it/pushing on when it was showing obvious signs of not being road worthy.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Quote =/= edit

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Approaching a flip/flop traffic control for a lane closure 1.5 mile ahead, everybody gets in the left (oncoming) lane like a mile early once they see it. I stayed in the travel lane like you're supposed to do, and I've got people on the left giving ME the stink eye like I'm doing something wrong.

Go ahead flagman, flip the sign and pass the other direction of traffic with each one of these braindead assholes in the oncoming lane.

I try not to get worked up about traffic anymore, but jeeeeeeeezus there are some absolute morons out here.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
If you're recording the trip to replay the journey, you can set a gopro to take snapshots once every 1, 2, 5 seconds and then stitch those shots together with software into a video. I used Shotcut - the UI sucked but it was free and you can do a lot if you know how to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
y'all are mean :mad:

Here's one of my time-lapses to ignore, especially the part at 1:58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlhWPniOZEY&t=117s

For real though Rev. Bleech_ I think the appeal on some of these would be watching the landscape morph or going through some weather or interesting topographic features. Nothing wrong with what you've put up, and its kind of cool to watch and skip around.

For me, I'd planned to take about 60 minutes of video and compress into 4 minutes or less to suit today's attention spans.