Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

limp_cheese posted:

How important is a rear view dashcam? I'm also curious what people have to say about the VIOFO A129 Plus Duo but it sounds like its a great camera.

How hard is it to mount one of those or just a dashcam in general? I'm assuming its mounting it, plugging it into the 12V slot for power, than syncing it to your phone. Hard wiring it is too advanced for me if that's important.

I've got 2 A129s, both hardwired, and I've hardwired an A119 (basically the same but just a front camera), and hardwired another camera a DDPAI something.

Honestly, hardwiring is pretty easy if you've got fuses in an easy to reach place. The hard part is running the cable under the trim so its out of the way, and frankly you should be doing that even if you're not hardwiring it.

As for the rear view, I'd say its about as important as the front camera really, even if someone rear ends you they can be a dick about it, might as well have footage to defend yourself with. That and I saw a guy nearly get dragged out of his car once but it was behind me so I was quite sad I didn't have footage of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I feel like they should be a standard feature. No joke, the first car I had I put a dash cam in it a few days after I got it and I went to pick up my girlfriend from her work. As I was talking about it someone reversed into me as they were pulling out of their parking space. No damage or anything but it was just the irony of me being in the middle of talking about useful it would be when someone hit me.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
The A129 comes with a little pry bar, it was good enough for me to lift trim and slide the cable underneath.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
How weird, Linus Tech Tips just did a dashcam video. They also recommend the Viofo A119/A129. I put an A119 in my mum's car and both my partner's car and my car have the A129 because I wanted the rear camera as well. All three have been going fine for a few years no with no issues, and the one in my mum's came in handy when someone deliberately drove into the side of her a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AnyhHl3_tE&t=9s

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I think its the age old "it depends". USB often only supplies 500ma, but I don't think that's enough for the A129. I've got mine hard wired to a box that provides a dedicated USB cable, but I have no idea how much power it has. I'll see if I can find the specs for it.

Edit: I actually bothered to read your post, if your car has a 2A socket it'll be fine.

Bertha the Toaster fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Sep 14, 2022

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
It blows my mind that someone walked away from that. Like, they should be dead. Its amazing how much safer cars are today even compared to 20 - 30 years ago.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Never thought I'd contribute anything to this thread, and its not the usual content either. Just drove home from a gig and this happened, at first I thought it the guy was just running across the road without checking.

You may notice the lack of shoes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD1z_AytNEc

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Skimmed the OP and the last page and didn't see anything conclusive, is there a thread favorite? I might add a front & backup cam to my car with neither, probably hardwire so I don't have to waste the 12v plug

I feel like it might be the Viofo A129, but I might be biased because I have two of them.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Cheap USB cables are notorious for not always using the colours correctly. If you've got a multimeter to check continuity you'll be fine wiring up a cable yourself. Question is, does the normal cable provide the 12V straight from the battery, or does it step down to 5V like USB uses? If its a 12V cable, using USB won't work. I just did a very cursory google and I feel like its a 12V cable.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Found out the other day that most, if not all, UK police forces allow you to send them dashcam footage and I might send them the thing I recorded last night on my way home from work. I'd post it here but their page for reporting says you can't post it on the internet and I've no idea how serious they are about that.

I pulled up to a 4 way junction, clear as day, no traffic in front so it was really easy to see from a distance that the light was red which means it was the same on the other side. The guy travelling opposite basically didn't stop even though he had plenty of time to see, and slammed on and stopped in the middle of the junction. He waited a bit, and rather than reversing back behind the line he drove on down the wrong side of the road. The missing the red light is one thing, but to then drive down the wrong side of the road on a road with two lanes for each direction is just madness.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
My grandad used to say Right of Might, not sure which is better.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Failson posted:

Man does bad crimes, forgets he has a dashcam. No injuries, but the video is harrowing.
Also make sure you've got an ad-blocker on if you click the link, the site is a disaster:

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/in...ff-6f164b0c5969

Page is blocked in the UK and I assume the rest of Europe. Direct link to the video on YouTube here.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
In this thread? Probably not, I think most of us have them. I've got 2 129s and my mum has a 119 and none of them have had issues.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, if you've had two different dashcams die, its your cars that's the issue, not the cams. I'd recommend installing a hardwire kit so you have a dedicated USB for the dashcam.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I meant a proper hardwire kit for dashcams that goes from a fusetap to a 5V USB, rather than what it sounds like you're doing which is adding an extra socket and then getting USB from that.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
LOL loving goons. What a random thing to be get mad enough about to end up sending a death threat over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
No. I want to believe someone got so worked up over a dash cam they threatened to kill someone. It'd line up with most of the footage you see.