Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

nm posted:

California law (VC26708) technically requires that a "video event recorder" have a notice that audio will be recorded.
Technically under PC632, recording audio with two or more parties without consent when one party intends the conversation to be confidential is a crime and makes it inadmissible.
I suspect that stripping out the audio would fix the problems, but I'd have to do research on that.

Generally, my advice in cars is to turn off the audio. I don't generally see the utility, but I guess the other party might confess everything.
With motorcycles, I suspect it matters less as that is all in public and no one would have a reasonable expectation of privacy. Just turn it off before you go inside.

After getting hit by a loving car (and being "lucky" enough to be hit in front of a bar with a poo poo ton of cameras), I'm getting a helmet cam for my bike and leaving audio on. Any recommendations for a cheap and light helmet cam? Battery life need not be that extraordinary.

The Drift Stealth 2 can be top or side mounted flat against your helmet. Rainproof without a case. It's also useable at night which is something most of the other "non-box-shaped" cameras utterly fail at. Contour's official recommendation for filming at night is "None of the Contour cameras are designed for nighttime or low light conditions. They do best in daylight."

Contour Roam 2:

Drift Stealth 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgI0r2Xct6g

Krakkles posted:

Old gen GoPro? The new ones are $400, I can't imagine any of the old ones are holding that much value.

Also, this has been getting picked up by a lot of people for similar purposes in PYF:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JFMT1RM

Chinese GoPro knockoff.

Don't get the clone of the knockoff, get the original knockoff:
http://www.amazon.com/SJCAM-Origina...&keywords=sjcam

The clones are running outdated firmware and trying to update them can brick the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Laserface posted:

I bought a contour roam camera to put on my helmet for track days. It's great if a little rigid in setup. Just quirky things like doesn't charge unless the memory card is inserted and formatted. go ahead and turn it off once the sun sets 'cause it's pointless to run it after twilight.

Just chiming in with my regular reminder that Contour's recommended solution for Roam cameras having piss poor low-light recording is to "make sure there's plenty of sunlight when you use our cameras."

Contour Roam 2:

source

Drift Stealth 2:

source

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Dec 17, 2015

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Nitrox posted:

Shame, it's rather inconspicuous otherwise.

It's no Mobius but I used the Stealth 2 as a comparison for a reason :) It's actually a bit smaller while having similar features like the rotatable sensor and being rainproof without a bulky case.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

melon cat posted:

I'm retracting my positive review for the Mobius Action Cam. Barely 2 weeks into ownership, and it's decided to stop working. I tried 4 different microSD cards of varying classes and brands, and it just decided to stop working. Footage looked great for the entire ~2 weeks that the unit worked for, but not worth the $100 price tag given its obvious reliability issues.

I'm not going out on a limb here to suggest that maybe you just got a defective camera.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Drift Ghost X maybe?

It's been a while since I've looked at cycling cameras, but that was the best all-around budget camera the last time I did. 5 hour record, decent low light performance, rainproof, has a rotating lens so it can be side mounted on a helmet or upside down on a Garmin/K-Edge mount.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Krakkles posted:

Replace your horn fuse with an auto-resetting circuit breaker for longer lasting honks.

When I was an obnoxious teen I'd wire in extra horns. On vehicles with multiple horns they blow notes that sound musical together, I chose notes that didn't. Furthermore, horns could be tuned back then, so I'd detune them so that even the normally musical pair would sound bad. Never blew a fuse, but I have to think I came close sometimes.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Nitrox posted:

Why does it look like dog poo poo?

Re-compressing a compressed source. It can look pretty terrible depending on what each algorithm decides to throw out. When Techmoan was doing action camera and dashcam reviews he always hosted clips on his own site so you could see the actual quality without YouTube's added blockiness and banding problems.

Re-compressing an mp3 to mp3 sounds bad, but re-compressing from ATRAC (mini-disc) to mp3 sounds god awful because they use different acoustic models of how humans perceive sound. You end up stripping out what both consider unimportant. *

Also, YouTube does multiple processing passes. They do a quick and dirty one when you upload, that's the progress bar**, and then run a higher quality pass later. Don't know how long that takes. Sometimes the pro YouTubers set a video live too early and the 2k/4k option isn't available until later. If a video looks like total rear end try giving it a day and watch it again.

*: All of my live recordings on mini-disc had to be stored with lossless compression on the computer, significantly bloating the file size, because I couldn't transfer the ATRAC files or play them.

**: bar or whatever. I haven't uploaded a video in years and don't remember how they display that a video is still being processed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Found out the other day that most, if not all, UK police forces allow you to send them dashcam footage and I might send them the thing I recorded last night on my way home from work. I'd post it here but their page for reporting says you can't post it on the internet and I've no idea how serious they are about that.

Just wait to post it until you get word back on whether they take action or not. I see a lot of footage captured by cyclists and they'll often mention if the driver received punishment or was forced to take classes or whatever.