Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

some texas redneck posted:

I'm still picking the seat cushion out of my rear end from this one. :suspense: No way in hell could I have stopped for that, just glad the guy who was next to me gave me room to swerve.

This one is intentionally poo poo quality, since there wound up being a few :cop: involved (they have the original unedited file, just didn't think it'd be a good idea to post the original yet).

Actually, the fact that you really had to edit the video is probably the final point that sells me on the G1W, but your other posts have done a good job too. A lot of cameras with similar levels of build quality really don't seem to have crisp video even if they're delivering the advertised resolution. It seems to me like being able to read license plates and the sort is a critical selling point of a dashcam and I've seen a number of demonstration videos for cameras that are a bit too questionable.

I know it's still at the bottom end of cameras, but the price:quality ratio is what I'm after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Do you guys who have posted the G1W videos use 1080P 30FPS? I got mine and set it up at 720P 60FPS last night, which I thought would be acceptable but it's not great, so I guess I'll move up. I wasn't sure if the FPS made much difference, I guess it shouldn't thinking about usual video FPS. I think a cleaner windshield might improve things as well.

That $2 eBay visor clip someone posted earlier is pretty pro though, definitely easier to use and mount higher than a suction cup. The camera still sticks out like a sore thumb with a totally untinted windshield, but I'm not worried about theft, I just want it too look more subtle in someone's rearview. Both the camera (from Amazon) and the clip came from China in less than 3 weeks, I think I ordered it all on 2/18.

Also, is there a preferred method of running a wire down the A-pillar? I can force most of it into the crevasse but it doesn't want to stay in there perfectly by friction alone.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I find it difficult to get a good sense of speed in some dashcam videos, but it also looks like classic ineffectual late braking. It's hard to really criticize people for not slamming on their brakes every time they get spooked, but there have been a lot of crashes like that where they pull computer data and the braking doesn't even go past 50% until a second or so before impact.

Practice your emergency stops and don't be afraid to use them, especially on a country road with no one on your rear end.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

My choices in radio selection and propensity for foul language are the reason I turned audio off on my g1w :) Now if I could just get the drat thing to stop turning off randomly.

I listen to terrible music and talk to myself a lot, but I decided it is much easier to mute a video before uploading it or risk embarrassment than to get in a situation where I wish I had the audio recorded. There are a number of scenarios with people approaching your car I could imagine where it would be helpful, but that recent Canadian t-bone video has reason enough: you can hear the guy who pulled out say "sorry, that was my fault" at the end of the video. The video has already been used to charge him for the accident (though admittedly his case wouldn't be looking too good with a silent video either).

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Kill-9 posted:

Ok, my turn for a commute vid at 8x speed. Make it two, they're cheap!

These are the GoPro, not the G1W, right? I like those exterior angles a lot.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

It was lightning but I thought it was an explosion at first too. He definitely should have stayed in the car unless he thought it was too damaged to drive.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

G1W is consensus cam as a surprisingly competent device at $50 and because most of us are cheapos. The Mobius ($80, right?) has gotten excellent reviews from goons and other people online, is smaller than the G1W, and the overheating issues that were initially mentioned at the dashcam site seem to be pretty nonexistent for most users.

I haven't seen anything scathing written abut the mini 0801 but the market really opens up once you go over $100 and particularly between $200 and $300. Those models will start having features like GPS and better collision detection. As much as I love my G1W, I would definitely qualify it as a good choice for a bit of a lark getting some neat footage or exploring the possibilities of what dashcams can do, but if you have serious concerns regarding legal issues or something business related I would probably spend the extra money for a better product.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

That's actually pretty drat good quality for the lane next to you at dusk. I tested my G1W with plates a few times and it's just not consistently good enough to rely on so I have to remind myself to say the plate number out loud if I ever need it to go with the video.

In light of the positive goon reviews I'm highly considering moving my G1W to my rear window and picking up a Mobius for the front though.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Christobevii3 posted:

It is pretty much universal in most states that it is a felony for failure to render aid. What an rear end in a top hat

I'm pretty sure these laws apply to the people involved in the incidents and not observers, they're essentially hit-and-run laws.

Not that the boss is not an rear end in a top hat for his attitude.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

I think the link was broken on purpose so people don't auto-click on a video where half a dozen people are dying

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Nocheez posted:

So what's the recommended dashcam nowadays? I'd like to get both front and rear facing cameras, and am proficient at installation.

Viofo A129 Duo if you want to buy one thing and be done with it. Technically the single A119 v3 has slightly better video quality so if you just care about the absolute best quality, day and night, that's the front camera to get. I got the A119 for my front and the Blueskysea B1W for the back, which is what the mod at r/dashcam recommended. I also like the smaller rear form factor for my Miata since I just mount it on the wind deflector.

My dad wanted one a few months later and we just got the A129 Duo for his car, he couldn't really be bothered to get two products. The only practical consideration for installation is that two individual dashcams will each have a single (thin-ish) power cord running out of them, whereas a dual kit is run by the front camera, so it has a power cord coming out but also a longer, thicker data cable that runs to the rear camera. Doesn't really make too much difference, on the Miata I think it was easier to run the two but on a bigger car it might be harder to get power to the rear. A129 install on a Subaru Outback was pretty easy.

Also storage and phone apps, the two cameras will obviously back up on separate cards and require separate control / apps if you want to wi-fi in (which isn't really necessary, but nice), whereas the twin kit will use a single card and controls for both front and rear video.

Ror fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 24, 2021

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Is there a reason 256GB is listed as a "max" for the Viofo, and are the "endurance-rated" MicroSD cards worth it?

Yes, the endurance cards are worth it. They are specifically designed for heavy write and rewrite operation which is pretty much exactly the use case of dashcams. For the slight extra cost they are significantly less likely to crap out over years of constant use.

I think card size is a firmware thing and a lot of dashcams have a max of 128 or 256. I think I read that they were trying to update it to 512 but I'm not sure. It's ultimately not that big of a deal since they're designed to overwrite themselves but if you need something there's still plenty of time before that happens. You'll probably pull the video within a couple days if something significant happens so the chances of overwriting something you need on a 256GB card is still pretty slim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

This is why the huge ships are winning.