Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Idiots all around:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH5QT-Fy_Ic

EDIT: Figured out how to edit videos and not make the quality suck

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

The Locator posted:

You car appears to pull pretty hard to the right on full braking.

The road is somewhat off camber through that intersection, more than what's obvious from the video. I think I lock the brakes up at the end there and the front of the car is just sliding sideways down the hill, as soon as I let up it goes back on course. Since the front is sliding to the right, the back of the car is going to try and pass the front of the car, especially with weight transfer forward, so the back is probably sliding out as well, adding to my direction change.

Due to the fact that I don't have ABS I was pulsing the brakes pretty hard throughout that stop, but looks like I got a bit aggressive on the pedal toward the end. If I'm driving down a flat road and stomp on the brakes (not hard enough to lock them) it brakes perfectly straight.

EDIT: It also looks like I may have actually steered to the right, obviously it's a case where steering left would be better to go around the back of the car, but it was drilled into my head in commercial driving school NEVER STEER LEFT TO AVOID AN ACCIDENT. You can cause a head-on collision on the other side of the road. Flying planes and driving boats (my two other forms of transportation), collision avoidance is also generally "steer right", so it's sort of programmed into me.

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 22, 2017

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Beach Bum posted:

BMW 6-cylinder?

Other car looks like a Ford Fusion. My car is a 98 Legacy brighton base model everything I got for $700.... Nothing of value in this video :v:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

FBS posted:

After a few days I've got a couple of minor clips worth saving. I drove past an overturned Suburban on Friday but the camera didn't catch it.

I take this exit once or twice a day and mostly I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often than it does:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9GCmJ17bKE (swear words)

Do they teach this trick in trucker school?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-zH83m1vUc

I take an exit like that every day. I, too, am always surprised how infrequently that happens.

also LOL truck parking brake.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Whenever I'm in a newer car, I get distracted by all the touch screens, buttons, controls, etc. It's insane, no wonder they need self-driving cars, let you concentrate on operating a drat spaceship. I drive beaters and antiques, so I'm accustomed to the bare minimum stuff needed to operate a car. It's kinda nice, simple, to the point, gets the job done.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Cocoa Crispies posted:

BMW drivers are courteous and polite and never drive like morons when speeding isn't appropriate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj-w0ecgmzM

Would it be possible to move your dashcam to the top of the windshield? Than angle doesn't show the road as well, and half the picture is just the dashboard and hood.
Running a wire up the A pillar and across the headliner is pretty easy in most cars, just take your time and it isn't too bad.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

My G1W-C has HDMI out with pretty good quality. I plugged it into my computer monitor once just for shits and giggles and was actually surprised.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_3ZV1SJu9Q

This wasn't a student, was some old guy who probably had to sit through his kid's boring AF senior presentation or something. Stop signs are hard, apparently...

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Hey looks, two posts in a row of the same drat intersection...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Relu07A75ME

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

This person would have had enough room to make the turn if they didn't slow down to a crawl half way through the turn...
Apparently I live in a black hole of people who can't look before making a turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTvz4sBoXjg

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

The Locator posted:

What the last three posts tell me is... You need a louder horn.

Yes, yes I do. Anyone know of a good all-in-one air horn setup that doesn't break the bank? :v:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Language warning...
(yes, my car stalled... It doesn't run properly at idle)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwq7hYQr6r0

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Shere posted:

I laughed when your car stalled mid honk.

It was kind of embarrassing.... I need to pull the IACV off and clean it. I beat on it with a wrench last week and it ran fine for a while, now it doesn't idle again... :effort:

Shere posted:

I've had people honk at me for not blocking the box, and preventing them from doing so in turn.

I've had people honk at me for that and for not turning right on red when there was a big sign that said "NO RIGHT TURNS ON RED" accompanied with a red arrow...

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

nm posted:

Can you change the battery (or put a capicitor) in a g1w? I mean easily.
I have one that has been going strong for almost 3 years, but it now has no battery life, so it shuts off instantly when I turn the ignition, which corrupts the final video, which is far from ideal.
No reason to take another spin on the cheap camera wheel when I have a known good one

I'd note in support of the g1w that the battery survived the inland empire, high desert, and central valley (aka hot as balls) for that long.

The insides of the G1W-C look exactly like the insides of the G1W, there's just a capacitor soldered onto the board where the battery belongs. Looks like it was an afterthought. I don't see any problem with changing the battery out for a capacitor.

I don't deal with extreme heat, but I do deal with cold, my G1W-C has held up fine with -30F temps in the winter.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

CharlesM posted:

I got a G1W-C from Spytec to tide me over until the Street Guardian dual channel camera comes out. I noticed it stopped recording at some point on the drive last night. Any idea why? Is it true a UHS-I is actually too fast?

A fast SD card shouldn't cause a problem, that wouldn't really make sense. Mine was having an issue where it would record to the end of the memory and not overwrite old files. Only did it sometimes, though... Kind of annoying, especially with a 16gb card. I messed with some settings and found out that setting the recording length to anything but 5 minutes caused the problem, after I set 5 minute clips I haven't had a problem for over a year and probably 30k miles of driving.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

CharlesM posted:

Doing a full format of the card and I haven't seen the problem again, but the capacitor doesn't hold the time for more than 13-14 hours (I haven't tested exactly how long), so I'm going to return it anyway.

Mine will lose the date and time after a couple of days, 13 hours seems excessively bad. I actually don't know how to set the month/day on mine.... The settings just skips right over those and goes onto the time. lovely firmware, but the camera works, so whatever. I'll have to make sure I unplug it for a week and plug it back in on january 1st next year :P

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Acky posted:

Older lady gets "lost" and enters the rotary the wrong way. Honked at her the first time I passed her and was still oblivious, and didnt stop. Sadly I just replaced my old dash cam and forgot to turn audio on :(.
https://youtu.be/vlJsRc7_mjs

Hey another Mainer! For some reason that circle has a lot more problems than the Cony circle, probably because it's so big and has bushes all through the middle of it, you can't see over it.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

nm, say someone was injured in an accident that wasn't their fault. The injuries took a couple months to heal at which time they were unable to do their job, missed out on a vacation, and were unable to perform their normal hobbies such as hiking, etc. It was also deemed that the injuries caused permanent wear and tear to the body, nothing serious at the moment, but could lead to issues down the road sooner than later.

Besides obviously compensation for wages and medical bills, is this a case worth a lawyer to seek compensation for pain and suffering, and all that stuff you can go after?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

How'd they even hit the van at that angle? Forget to turn with the road or something?

Probably going too fast, understeered, and got bitten by target fixation. OMG LOOK AT THAT VAN DON'T HIT IT! And then hit it.
He's also really close to the car infront of him, helping my theory that he was hauling rear end around that curve.
Looks like a grey day, the road may have been damp contributing to the loss of control.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

The g1w is a piece of poo poo anyway, mine hit the windshield so hard it broke the windshield from the inside. Also smashed the camera and corrupt the file... Basically defeated the whole point of having a cam in a crash.

I really wish I had the clip of my car bursting into flames....

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Why don't you just replace it with a super capacitor? That's all the g1w-c model does. It's literally the battery model with a capacitor soldered across the terminals. It's a massive bodge job, but so is the rest of the product... Seems to work well unless you crash.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I just picked up a mini0906 and though I've only had it a few days, it seems like a pretty good camera. It's easy to use, seems to have fixed all the things people complain about with the 0805. Mine came as a kit with a rear camera which was kinda dumb since my car has tinted rear glass that slides down... hah. It'll be useful in my other car, though. I'll just order another one without the rear camera.
Next time I'd probably get suction cup mount not the sticking to the windshield kind.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, it's really hard to compare especially when everything is resized or compressed.
Here's the old g1w and even with a bit of resizing, the black on blue plate, the windscreen reflection of the dash vent, plates are clear (even the street sign on the top right). Very clear in the 2mb screen shot but I compressed the image and resized it to 75%.

Toss the g1w in the trash... Mine hit the windshield so hard in an crash that it broke and didn't save the video clip. With the footage, this case might not be going on 6 months of dragging on....

I have a mini0906 and it seems to be a really robust camera. Saved my rear end the other day when someone ran into the side of my car. They claimed I changed lanes into them. Just a fender bender, so I should post that up in a couple week probably.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

The other version of that which pisses me off almost just as much, and is equally dangerous is the "good Samaritan 2-way stop", in which the person who has right of way stops to let someone at the stop sign go. Now they've buttfucked traffic behind them, may get rearended, vehicle coming in the opposite direction probably isn't going to stop, why should they... Yea, I see that one all too often.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

The Locator posted:

Why do a lot of semi's in Aus have those steel grid things over their windshields?

To keep kangaroo guts off the windshield.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

If every direction is clear and some dickhead stops to wave me on, I'll usually go as long as they're in clear view of the camera. But sometimes It's really not safe, I'll just sit there and honk/wave. There's a lot of insurance scam bullshit going on where I live, so I'm pretty careful. I've known a few people who had someone stop in the middle of the road to randomly wave them on, then crash into them on purpose, unless there's a camera, the scammer usually wins.

Budgie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIpWZjlQyIM&t=68s

This particular clip at 1:08 is special. Honking at a guy doing a dangerous overtake and swerving and braking to avoid him, only to have the car behind him pull the same dickhead maneuver and disappear into the distance.

yea if the silver car and blue car had a headon, it would have been two dumbasses in one pass, it would have been beautiful.

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 22, 2018

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCm5VNLHfMk

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I'm a lot less nervous as a pedestrian when I'm not loving JAYWALKING. Takes a pretty good dipshit to cross 4 lanes of traffic on a stop hand.
It's not like the light recently changed, either. It had been green for a long time.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

nm posted:

Probably depends on the person, but i talk so much poo poo it probably would get me in trouble.

I talk to myself while I'm driving, could I be ruled as insane if a lawyer ever had to review the footage? lol

I used a dashcam clip to dispute a claim and was told the same thing, the audio of me laying on the horn showed I was paying attention well before the accident as well as yelling something like "you stupid loving idiot" and slamming on the brakes.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I should really get my rear dashcam hooked up. It came with my mini0906, I just haven't had the energy to drop all the trim in an SUV to run the wire. I still have the issue of a tinted back window that rolls down, too... I can't stick it to the window, and if I stick it to the headliner it'll get ripped off when I camp in the thing. Or use it to haul firewood, or lumber, or whatever else....

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Budgie posted:

I'm really struggling to see what the reason was for going and banging on the car driver's window was. The cyclist felt they stopped too late? The late stop didn't even impede them. I kind of feel like the car had both right of way and the ability to pull fully over the crossing and stop beyond it far enough for any pedestrian traffic to pass them. I've cycled and encountered a late stop many times but stopping my bicycle and half-hearted-vandalising their vehicle was never on my mind, or even necessary. Maybe a light level of 'wanker' motion or a finger or two, but never full on thumping on the window.

It's an odd video when a cyclist rages for no reason like this video shows. I've seen plenty where they're ignored but this one was noticed and given far too much leeway (driver could have easily cleared the crossing and been forward of it for the cyclist passing) and still felt like they should try to punish the car. wtf?

People get really weird about cyclists and crosswalks.
I have no problem with someone riding across the crosswalk IF THEY STOP FIRST AND WAIT FOR TRAFFIC TO STOP. Just randomly darting across the crosswalk is stupid, whether you're on a bike, skateboard, heelys, etc. Stop, make sure traffic sees you and stops, then proceed on your favourite method of transport.

Hell, if someone rides across, they're spending less time in the road and everyone can get on with their day. But for gently caress sake, just like stopping your bike at a stop sign, stop before you cross and make sure it's safe. Your neon green bike shorts (or whatever the term is) won't reduce a car's stopping distance to 3 feet.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

Is there a version without gps?

The mini 0906 has GPS overlay turned off by default, at least mine did.
If you're extra paranoid, you can always put kapton tape over the GPS signal pins on the base...

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

The problem is, if he was going 1mph over the speed limit the lady would have a bullshit case against the guy. You know there's some lawyer out there who'd make that trucker miserable over 1mph.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

JuffoWup posted:

Correct, which is why I mentioned it good for those that are sure to be right at the speed limit or driving under it. Mostly under it for the reason you said.

And since literally everyone does 1mph over the speed limit sometimes, GPS is a terrible idea.
Well, people who never do 1mph over are usually the people who always go 10mph under, and that's more dangerous...

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

nm posted:

Man, slowing down there would take that guy 2 seconds.
ALso, the cyclist should be further out in the lane, it discourages unsafe passes like that. Riding the white line is dangerious.

In the cyclist's defense, there isn't any road over the white line, the white line is literally on the edge of the bitumen and probably all cracked up and full of holes. I hate riding on roads like that because you're either in the cabbage or half in the road.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

spog posted:

While this is the main reason, isn't it also true that pickups are really light on the read axle with crappy weight distribution when they are empty? Since you have to design them to work when fully loaded.

Sure, but I've driven pickup trucks for years and never spun out in rain or snow. Just gotta keep tires on the thing and not drive like a loving idiot.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Saw her at the last second or she would have crushed me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUdAp_fLSqE

She's in the wrong for running the stop sign, but it wouldn't have been such a close call if you actually stopped.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Platystemon posted:

I’d feel stupid if I mounted a camera there and got brain damage in a one‐in‐five‐hundred scenario.

If you got brain damage, you might not have the ability to feel stupid, so go right ahead :v:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I do multiple cams for the cars I drive regularly, and I have one with a suction cup mount that has a USB battery pack attached to it for cars I don't drive regularly. This includes a car with 6v electrical system that would be difficult to hook a camera up with another method. It also means I can pull it down and stuff it under the seat for car shows. Also 12v positive ground... Don't go plugging a USB thingy into that lighter plug, the smoke gets out ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Yea, if a 6v system is actually running at 6v, you have problems. It's like a 12v system running at 12, yer poo poo's dicked.
It's easier to use a USB battery pack since it runs the camera for several hours at least, longer than I ever drive the car. It also doesn't have a lighter plug. Why modify something when it works. It's almost 70 years old, let it be.

Most USB adapters are either inefficient piece of poo poo switch mode regulators that die below like 7v or so, or are properly designed and shut down below a certain voltage.