Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

wolrah posted:

I believe that in some European countries it's not a direct offense but if you wreck with inappropriate tires installed it's considered more your fault. Not sure if that applies just to the retards who try summer tires on snow or if it also includes crappy all seasons or lack of full winters in the colder regions.
In Germany it's not so much considered more your fault if you're involved in an accident and your car has inappropriate tyres for the conditions, it's considered negligent. You neglected to fit proper tyres and that negligence is held against you, so a 50/50 might be rules all your fault because "if you hadn't neglected to put on proper tyres, this wouldn't have happened". If some fuckwit T-bones you and you are obviously not at fault, the fact that you were running racing slicks in January doesn't enter into it at all, even if there was black ice.

It basically boils down to whether or not the tyres have the magic snowflake (could be M+S, I'm not sure) on them. A nice Vredestein Ultrac, like I had on my previous car, is objectively a better tyre than the Kleber Viaxer2 bullshit that my current car came with. But because the Viaxer2 is an "all season" tyre, like the Goodyear Vector 4Season tyres that are currently on my car, it gets to have the magic snowflake and thereby gets a pass.
It doesn't matter that the Viaxer2 are such crap that I replaced them after 8000km because driving in the rain was loving scary.

There is no 'you have to be this cool to ride', every special little snowflake gets to go and the manufacturers are essentially free to call all their tyres special little snowflakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Well tbf, real winter tyres *are* worse on wet roads than all-seasons or summer tyres. Most of the tyres called "winter tyres" in Germany gets called "continental winter tyres" here in Sweden, and are considered worse on snow and ice than real winter tyres, but better on wet & dry roads.
I have no experience with proper winter tyres, around here there is no need for them. The Viaxer2 things were €39 a pop all-season budget crap tyres, definitely not a real winter or snow tyre.