Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What’s the purpose of the supercapacitor or battery in a dashcam? Flushing the buffer? Continuing to record in a severe accident where the 12 V supply fails? Recording people loving with the car while it’s parked? Just running the clock so your timestamps are reliable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/xsInPyv.gifv

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cartoon posted:

If you live in a heavily forested area then most people either have a chain saw or an axe in the car. I know I do. It's either that or not get home/to work on any given day.

Are we just talking about branches here?

A tree the size of the one in that video would take hours to clear with an axe.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

So, mystery not solved.

Attempted and failed to siphon gas?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Run the camera off a separate power source temporarily. If that fixes the problem, you need better power filtering/isolation. If it doesn’t, the camera is radiating directly and more drastic measures are called for.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I doubt the dashcam actually draws 5 W.

My laptop idles at around that.

The camera hardware is largely driven by cellphone development, which puts a premium on low‐power design.

I’d estimate at least a week to drain the battery.

Can you configure the camera to automatically power down? If you can have it shut down after twenty‐four hours, I would’t bother to wire it to a switched circuit.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hitler would be proud. :hitler:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FBS posted:

Should I care about having accurate time and date stamps on my videos? Should I use the stamps at all?

How much effort is it to get accurate stamps with your device?

Hardware‐wise, it’s trivial to run a quartz clock off a CR2032 for a decade. Or if the thing has a GPS chip, it can get the time from that for free.

If it’s hard to get accurate dates on your camera, the manufacturer cheaped out.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 22, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would expect it to take more like a week to kill a healthy battery, but doing it repeatedly wouldn’t be great for the battery.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Laserface posted:

pretty reasonable argument IMO.

This, but 1896.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is why 24 Hours of LeMons (and most other races) require fenders.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Locator posted:

Yea... I think I'd rather have whiplash from the rear-end hit, that dude is lucky to be alive, that truck nailed him good.

Seriously, run into a stopped car before driving into oncoming traffic... wtf.

I’m thinking “how does he remember it?”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

IOwnCalculus posted:

I kinda wish there was a dashcam that would connect to the wifi when I get home and upload everything to my fileserver :v:

You mean that there are dashcams with wifi and that’s not what they use it for? :psyduck:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

IOwnCalculus posted:

Every one I've seen with wifi on Techmoan's channel just seems to use it to connect to a smartphone app, along the lines of a Gopro or drone wifi. It acts as an AP, not as a client.

I assumed they worked like wifi SD/CF cards of years past.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

spog posted:

I suppose it is theoretically possible that if you had a wifi AP in your garage and you added an always-on feed to your camera, it would be possible to do this (32GB takes 1.5hrs over a good wifi connection)

A good wifi connection is 48 Mbps? 🤔

Ditch your WRT54g and get something with 802.11ac.

e: Dropped a factor of eight.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jul 12, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

~Coxy posted:

Enabling location gets you nothing (I doubt the location of the crash or whatever is going to be in dispute) and lets you infer speed.

Yeah but unless you are driving in a featureless void, speed can be inferred with greater accuracy from the video alone.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nm posted:

That requires hiring an expert and investigator and will only get you a 10 +/- mph at best. That's only gonna happen on high dollar cases. It is a four figure bill to do it in a way that is admissable in any court, which they're not gonna pay for your $5k claim.

Isn’t an expert witness also required to testify about the coordinate stamps?

wolrah posted:

Exactly. It'd be really easy for a nerd with video editing software and a few reference measurements to determine your speed from video in a way which would be convincing to other nerdy people who understand the principles involved, but convincing a jury is a different matter. If you aren't recording audio there's even potential to create doubt about the accuracy of the camera's claimed framerate.

If you have a GPS overlay however, you now have the most accurate source of timing and positioning available to the average person putting the numbers on screen in plain view of anyone with two brain cells bumping in to each other.

Okay but if any idiot can plot two points on Google Maps and measure the distance between them, how is that same person incapable of finding two landmarks in Street View and checking how many seconds of video exists between passing one and passing the other?

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 14, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

jabro posted:

I think the only two choices here is either say gently caress you to the man and GPS your ride with your middle finger in constant view of the dashcam or live in a bubble with a tinfoil hat on so those pesky GPS signals don't invade your thoughts.

The finger is the only acceptable way to express displeasure because an audible “gently caress you” would run afoul of wiretapping laws.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t think either determination of speed is likely to hurt you, legally. That’s my point. “Speed can be calculated from coordinate stamps” isn’t a compelling reason to buy a dashcam without a GPS receiver because it’s just as possible (and unlikely) that speed will be calculated from the video alone.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m not talking about stamping “88 mph” on the video. I’m talking about stamping “48.1516, 23.4269” on the video.

If that stamp is followed one second later by “48.1816, 23.4269”, that’s not any more suspicious or more damning than the the speed at which telephone poles pass.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nm posted:

It is more damning because to find out how far the poles are requires going out and measuring them.

In a world where maps don’t exist.

If poles are too mutable or hard to find on a map, use intersections.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This map?

It’s actually easier to right click and measure the distance between intersections than it is to plot the coordinates and then measure between them. And I’d bet on the the accuracy of Google’s map data over the accuracy of a random consumer GPSr in a moving vehicle in an urban area. The coordinates the GPSr spits out can have 3 m of error in opposite directions on the two points you’re plotting. Google Maps doesn’t have 6 m stretch marks in the ærial photos.

I can accept “the legal system is dumb and and it’s like how faxed signatures are accepted as the gospel truth”, but there’s not a major technical difference.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nm posted:

Google maps are often old and out of date in suble ways. Sometimes the data they're using is just wrong. I've definitly had something measure out to .2 miles with a calibrated device rather than the .3 google says (which can be a big difference).
Yeah, you gps data can be wrong too, but you'll have to go to court to argue that. It is way easier to argue with a prosecutor, cop, or insrance adjuster that thier google map is off than gps data.
The goal here is to not get charged or found at fault out of the gate rather than having to gwt lawyers and experts involved.

The GPS data is also just more likely to be accepted by a jury, even when interpeted by an expert who explains the issues, than some very acomplished guy who went an measured every uility pole with a calibrated roller.

Humans love black boxes. Other people just seem biased and error prone.

You know how hard it is to convince a jury that a breath test reading of 0.08 doesn't automatically mean someone had a BAC of .08 or greater even though the manufacturer will openly state a margin of error of +/- 0.01? (The actual error is closer to 0.02-0.04 depending on conditions, but whatever.)

Thank you for directly addressing what I was saying.

So in conclusion:

Stamping the speed right on the video is a terrible idea and no one has ever disputed this.

Using coordinate stamps or frame counting in court both require expert testimony and are technically similar.

but courts are more comfortable with GPS data (as testified to by expert witness “nm”).

So leave the stamps off and don’t give them ammunition.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Locator posted:

What do you have to do as a lawyer in that situation? I would hope that client attorney confidentiality doesn't count here where you were not representing him for that murder, but I honestly have no idea.

You may be interested in the Buried Bodies Case, a classic in legal ethics.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 16, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nm posted:

I tried to speak over him loudly advising him not do it. Made the record slightly harder to record.
As it was open court, it isn't attorney-client, but any other interaction would be if not on the record.

Describe the facial expressions of the relevant parties.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Police Chase White Bronco

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I hate it when I’m driving through the countryside where the locals haven’t gotten with the twenty‐first century.

If I knew about that wreck I could take a back road, but nope, no one has reported it even though traffic is backed up a great distance and first responders have been working on site for a while.

So I just drive into it and get stuck with everyone else.

Fuel prices: last updated eight months ago. :thumbsup:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Can anyone recommend a turn‐by‐turn navigation app that allows custom routes?

I want to be able to drag the route around like I can on Google Maps desktop, but Google won’t let me send a route like that to my phone.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
180° is outright impossible with a rectilinear lens. It has to be a fisheye.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

8ender posted:

Speaking of GPS on the A119. I have a A118 and was considering an upgrade. Is it possible to have the coordinates show up but not the current speed? I feel like that'd help with putting me at a location during a crash but not introduce the "you were going 2 over the limit" bullshit that may come from an insurance claim.

Lawyers in this thread are on record as saying that that is still a bad idea.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

8ender posted:

Is it because the speed might be able to be deduced from the coordinates in the video?

Yes, and apparently U.S. courts find that to be easy and trustworthy, unlike deducing speed from mile markers or intersections or whatever.

I open the can of worms with this post.

The discussion concludes on the next page.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nitrox posted:

I think powerful magnets and sensitive electronic equipment may be a bad combination. Why not use something like this, and stick directly on glass? Woks for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0773FXVKL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Magnets messing with electronics is the exception.

It’s fine unless the dashcam writes to floppies or has a CRT screen.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

NoWake posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr60eLzJ4TU

"Share the road" doesn't mean you get to take the oncoming lane, blind, whenever you feel like you gotta be in front of a bike. I saw the bike, then the car, and was more afraid he'd sideswipe the bike jumping back in his lane than hit me.

I saw this yesterday with a truck pulling over the centre to pass a bike and the SUV following like a wart on its arse.

They did this right before a small bridge

Luckily, there was no oncoming traffic. It’s possible the trucker was high enough to see over the bridge, but the SUV driver definitely couldn’t.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MrOnBicycle posted:

From watching US dashcam/TV/movies/videos that no one ever fully stops at a stop sign in the US. Should just swap them all out for yield signs, but I guess people will not even slow down for those?

Half of stop signs should become yields; half should be removed outright.

The only nice thing I can say about all‐way stops is that a steady stream of traffic on the main road can’t shut down the other road, but if that’s a real concern the intersection probably warrants a light.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 17, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’d feel stupid if I mounted a camera there and got brain damage in a one‐in‐five‐hundred scenario.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Geoj posted:

I understand where you're coming from, but this is really a situation where there isn't any other option:

Demonstration of removing the polarizing layer from a LCD panel, and the screen appearing white until looked at through polarized lenses.

:wrong:

Screens could incorporate a quarter‐wave plate.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Toe Rag posted:

38.243389, -122.465167

I sent it in to my contact at PG&E. Hopefully they already looked into it, but you never know...

5 km from Bliss.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

STR posted:

None of my dashcams have ever kept good time. My current one gains about 10-20 minutes a month, and corrupts the memory card at random (yes, using high endurance cards, and I've tried several cards).

WTF

I didn’t know it was possible to make a quartz clock that bad.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
So worst crystals Digikey will sell me (hundred parts per million tolerance) work out to four and half minutes per month in tolerance, but when you factor in frequency stability, the arithmetic checks out.

That’s before accounting for the temperature swings automobiles experience.

I would like to note that we’re talking about parts that cost seven and a seventh cents apiece when you’re not buying from the reject pile.

Using the same crystal as the CPU clock would saves money and make the clock more accurate because higher frequency crystals have better precision and stability, at the expense of power consumption. That would require effort, though.

Or maybe they’re really saving money by not using a crystal for the CPU clock at all. The catch with that is that it can break things like USB because the timing becomes too inaccurate for the host to accept.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Laserface posted:

Is this why my head unit clock loses 2 minutes over the course of 8 months? I normally gotta add 2min whenever I switch DST On/off

Fifteen seconds per month is respectable.

Many quartz wristwatches aim for that and they have the advantage of operating at a more controlled temperature.