Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What the hell are all the "Berta Lovejoy" feminist strawman comments on every Youtube video these days, and why are they all voted up to the top?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

murphle posted:

The standard matters if you're trying to push data over the cable. It's way less of a concern if you're just trying to get 5V up to a camera or GPS.

Voltage drop is still a concern. Assuming a good quality cable with 24AWG copper conductors, 15 feet long, and 5.5 volts (the specification maximum) at the source, and a 1A draw, you'll see 4.73 volts at the far end. That's low, but within the expected range that USB devices are supposed to handle.

However, use a cheaper cable with 28AWG wires and a linear regulator putting out exactly 5 volts at the source, and your device will see 3.05 volts -- not even enough to power up a low-power microcontroller.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

trouser chili posted:

Scion xA can't hold it's lane, then chooses the wrong (inside) lane for the turn, immediately changes to outside lane after second turn is complete. I get so tired of driving behind these idiots

This video was so mild I fell asleep.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

smax posted:

Well, I got some actual use out of the dash cam last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8w1ZD2v9_I

Nothing quite like a minor hit and run to round out the night.

Edit: And a crappy picture of the aftermath:

Does this actually prove fault, though? We see the bump, and then you follow a guy who makes an illegal right turn. Unless the police do some CSI paint-matching, there isn't much to go on here.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Random question: I've heard that in California, recording audio of someone without informing them beforehand is illegal wiretapping, so any secret recordings you make are inadmissible as evidence. This rule doesn't apply to video, just audio. Does this mean that if your dashcam records audio, the recordings won't be valid in court?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, I ride a motorcycle, so the camera is on my helmet...and I can imagine that if I got into any incidents, there'd be words exchanged. Would a lawyer be able to argue that because I recorded the person screaming at me without their consent, the evidence is inadmissible on a technicality? Does being out on a public highway excuse the requirement? Would drawing the person's attention to the camera change anything?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I assumed that would be called "tampering with evidence."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is it legal to get one that does the little BLLLAAAATT *woop* that the police use (but not the real continuous siren noise)?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

People still get FOP bumper stickers all over the place, though, since there's no restriction on those or "yeah, my brother-in-law's a cop a few states over" stories.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The 3M VHB adhesive that GoPro uses is unbelievably strong. I would trust it more than nuts and bolts in many situations.

I don't know if that's the same adhesive, but yeah.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Laserface posted:

Yeah if I was riding a motor cycle I would switch to mounting it on the bike.

I needed a screwdriver and a hammer to remove the GoPro mount. It hosed the helmet pretty badly in terms of cosmetic damage.

Use a heat gun/hair dryer and a putty knife next time. The stuff slowly peels off at high temperatures. I have GoPro mounts on my Motorcycle helmet and I would trust them to hang on at much higher speeds than I'm comfortable riding.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

In other news I saw this on reddit today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=346FO0B_qv8

Puckered up just watching it.

"well, I guess that's kind of cutting the guy off, but you'd have to be a real baby to--" :stare:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Seems legit

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cartoon posted:

I wouldn't have bother but I had to do it (The whole cam download/Youtube upload) for the next video and it happenned today too. Some further evidence of the "gently caress you I'm in a Truck!" attitude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_M6b-MhiBA

I think the title of this video is supposed to be sarcastic, but actually it's just accurate.

What did you want the truck to do? Slam on the brakes and lock up the wheels and slide into a tree, just because you feel uncomfortable pulling a little bit onto the shoulder of a narrow forest road?

e: I watched your second video too and you are just a whiny peepants baby. That guy made a perfectly legal and safe merge into your lane and it pissed you off because...??? Heavy equipment and vehicles with trailers don't have to get out of your way. Get over it.

e2: nice illegal pass around the trailer (you drove over the parking space lines, moron) because you can't wait five seconds for him to make the turn. The "loving asswipe" is you.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 29, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cartoon posted:

Well in my defence the fact that it was a blind corner may have tipped you off to the fact that they did a U-Turn across double center lines. If I had been in a heavy vehicle I may not have had time to slow down enough to avoid them. They should have taken the slightly longer route to their destination that didn't involve a dangerous illegal turn.

1. Can you post a Google Maps link to that particular intersection? Because I don't think what he did qualifies as a U-turn and I'd like to check it out for myself.

2. If you are in ANY vehicle, not just a heavy vehicle, and you are driving so fast around a blind turn that you wouldn't be able to stop in time for the sudden appearance of another vehicle, a boulder, a pedestrian, etc., you are a dangerous driver and should be kept off the roads.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Interstate highways are a slightly different situation because they're controlled-access and heavily patrolled. The chances of coming across a kid chasing a ball or a boulder that hasn't been cleaned up are pretty minimal. However, they still shouldn't be designed to include blind curves of such a radius that the average vehicle travelling at the average speed couldn't stop in the available visual distance. And the fact that interstates regularly produce multi-car collisions where drivers are unable to stop in time is proof that they're still problematic.

On any other road, you're a goddamned moron if you outdrive your braking distance. It doesn't matter if you know the road like the back of your hand and you can totally take this curve at 55 even though it's marked 20. If you can't see as far ahead as it'll take you to stop, you've just turned the first unexpected obstacle into an inevitable accident.

Ask me how I know!

e: just for the record, though, I did once come over a hill on I-280 to see a loving aluminum ladder sitting in my (the rightmost) lane. I braked heavily and veered onto the shoulder in case someone was tailgating and zoned out, but if I'd been going much faster that may not have been an option. There's no way to prepare for those situations other than driving at a reasonable speed for the road.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 1, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Which one did you buy specifically? I keep wanting to get a little 808 camera but even the "official" website isn't much help with the millions of variations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:psyduck:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I actually would not put it past some mouthbreathing dumbass to see a camera pointed out the side, assume "that's fer takin peepin tom pictures!" because that's what they would do with it, and smash it up out of a terribly misguided sense of vigilante justice.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

seems like nothing you couldn't fix with a .30-30

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have a KJZZ sticker on my toolbox. :hfive:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

yeah he said "whilst" which is a dead giveaway he's in the UK, and they say "cut up" instead of "cut off" over there for some reason.

it's like how they have drink driving and maths classes and drugs abuse

bizarre language

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sharkytm posted:

Hey, I get to contribute.
Agreed, I was going to be close on the light, but the oncoming guy was at the same point that I was. No harm, no foul... but stop lights aren't stop signs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hndMmx39R2c

This is what you call "close on the light?"

By stepping through it, I can tell that he started to move into the intersection as soon as your light turned yellow -- with the set-back stop line, it looks like he was timing it so that his nose would enter your lane at the moment he got the green. So yeah he jumped the gun but you were 100% in the wrong there. The collision would have taken place when his direction was green and yours was red, and the camera shows that you ran the light.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 12, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fknlo posted:

You are completely right, it looks green as poo poo on my phone but it's clearly already red.

The camera didn't capture the colors very well yes but i have literally never seen a stoplight with green on top. Even the sideways ones seem to be going out of fashion. Where do you live?

sharkytm posted:

Yup, I was definitely in the wrong, but he moved long before his light turned green. Even with zero delay, he was moving when the light was still yellow on my side. Again, no harm, no foul, but he definitely was in the intersection when his light was red.

So were you, so let's just agree that you're both terrible drivers.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You can usually tell when someone in this thread is from a small town because they post videos like "oh wow, look at this moron on the road!!" and it's something that you see twenty times on any given trip in a big city, like that crappy merge

In San Francisco people probably wouldn't even honk at that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The thing that makes me the most irrationally angry is when, as I'm changing lanes, I put on my turn signal, wait for an opening, check my blind spot, slide over into the space, and get immediately honked at by the person I moved in front of because they weren't paying any attention to the road or my signal and they think I cut them off. Or alternately they saw the signal just fine, and were accelerating to try it and close the gap specifically so I can't take it. Either way, the sheer audacity of the pricks who do that just drives me insane

It's nearly always someone in a BMW or Lexus SUV, for some reason

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sure it is. (Nearly) all quartz clocks use a standardized 32.768 KHz timing crystal whose frequency is electronically divided in half 15 times to get a 1-second pulse. One way to cut costs in your mega bargain dashcam is to buy your timing crystals from the factory reject pile, because 32.783 KHz is close enough, right? Who's gonna notice anyway?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yes, probably. 2 minutes in 8 months is roughly 6 parts per million, which is right what you'd expect for a generic quartz timing crystal (most of those I've seen are specced +/- 20ppm or so).

Crystals also expand and contract slightly with temperature, which alters their frequency even more, so if you live in a particularly hot part of the world you might find that your marginally larger crystal beats just a little slower and your clock loses time a bit more rapidly.

In general the crystals are trimmed for the median temperature in the sort of places humans usually inhabit, though, so the annual weather changes will mostly average out.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

^^^^ neat, I did not know that. What's the reason? Do they cut high-frequency crystals into different shapes from low-frequency ones?

Anyway, point is that if you're buying your electronics from random mystery Chinese sellers on AliExpress or Amazon or eBay, I absolutely expect that they are using the cheapest possible components, including Z-bin timing crystals that won't hold 10 minutes in a month. Or they're just leaving the crystal out entirely and relying on an on-chip resonator or whatever that is even less accurate. Watch some of the EEVBlog or BigClive videos of cheapo AE/DealExtreme/Banggood product teardowns if you really want to blow your mind.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you're really into it, you can assume that your crystal is pretty average, get some datasheets from digi-key for generic timing crystals that have t/f graphs like those posted above, find their reference temperature, compare that to your average annual temperature, and see how well the graph lines up with your observations.

I am working on building a digital instrument cluster for my motorcycle, and in the current version I took some shortcuts with the timing system, and it's fairly cool to see how my speedometer accuracy changes quite dramatically with the outside air temperature (as the timing system that's measuring the wheel revolutions speeds up and slows down).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't know how these people got driver's licenses, we don't usually allow infants to drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ3JnxkZxJg

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NoWake posted:

Crosspost from the OSHA thread:

actually, sir, you see, when you swerved to avoid the deer you commanded the car to go into the ditch, so the accident is determined to be your fault. if you had struck the deer then you would be covered. this case is closed, thank you for being a customer

this is how insurance really works, at least for some companies

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that's the fastest fire truck response i've ever seen

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What was the car doing at first? I thought it was backing out of a driveway, but...?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"Jessica says Sam doesn't have any memory of what caused him to go into the other lane. Police are still investigating"

gee i wonder why a teenager driving down a mostly-empty road would drift in their lane and then suddenly veer at the last minute. we'll have to get every detective on the case for this one

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nitrox posted:

Were you cursing with a child in the car?

ironically, the people who get the most upset about children possibly hearing ~~~~the f-word~~~~ are also the ones who drop terms like "towelhead" or "wetback" or worse in front of their kids all day long

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have heard that in Australia you'll also get ticketed for going even 1 km/h over the limit; the police attitude is "it's a speed LIMIT not a speed SUGGESTION" and you are supposed to be going 5-10 km/h slower than that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Does that also mean that if you turn it on while cruising at 75mph, and it slows down to 35mph for heavy traffic, that when you disable it to take manual control it'll floor it back up to 75 and ram the car in front?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's some real A+ engineering right there boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

STR posted:

I would fill up a 1TB memory card in a few hours if swear detection was built into a camera.

maybe go for a walk or something