Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Thinking of upgrading my dashcam from the A118C to either the A119 or the Street guardian SG5966GC. The only problem I have with my A118 is that it doesn't turn off properly when I unplug the charger, in that it power cycles itself 3-5 times before turning off and the car charging cable cigarette lighter end is half broken which I fixed temporarily with superglue. So thinking it could be time for an upgrade.

Anyone want to try and sway me to one side to help me pick one?

Chillyrabbit fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Disharmony posted:

I found the Transcend DrivePro 520 brand new for $150 and I was wondering if this is a good buy or are there better ones at that price range? The second camera isn't exactly a dealbreaker but it's nice to have so I know exactly what happened inside the car when an accident takes place (i.e. driver dozed off, etc.) But if it doesn't work as well as advertised then might as well just stick with the one camera.

I always thought this website gave pretty good reviews of dashcams https://dashcamtalk.com/transcend-drivepro-520/

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Hdip posted:

My brother has people stealing stuff out of the cars parked on his street. Daylight in his neighborhood. Would a dashcam with parking mode be able to get some footage if this happens to his car? Is there one he can spin around to point at the glovebox/passenger area easily? I just have an a118 so not sure what to recommend to him.

If the thieves aren't totally retarded they'll notice the wires and think its an expensive electronic to steal. Maybe if he can hide it very well it might work but I'm not too sure on counting on it.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Hdip posted:

They're not breaking windows and only taking things from the glove box is the odd thing. Trying to make it as low key as possible maybe? Or maybe just some kid in the neighborhood who thinks no one is the wiser. That's why I thought it'd be possible to get them on tape.

in that case try looking into taxi dash cams or something, they tend to have an inside view and outside view. The Transcend drive pro 520 that recently came up in this thread might do it but its fairly expensive.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

azurite posted:

I'm looking for my first dashcam and I'd like it to be mostly out of sight. The idea of suction cups really irks me. I saw the A118 recommended here, but there are a billion no-name models of it. Any opinions on this Rexing?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X528FNE/

Good webpage with links to the true models of the A118C, at the bottom. Amazon link

I personally like the website since its nicely laid out and I think they give mostly fair representations and reviews of dashcams. They also host forums that manufacturers drop by in.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Stultus Maximus posted:

People here seem to really like the Guardian and the A118. The Guardian is twice as expensive, what would I get for that much more cash?

The packaging of the dashcams are deceptive, the guardian has more customer support available, it also has different sensors and lens which give it a much high quality image. They just released a V3 version of the Street guardian which has a CPL filter standard, the latest firmware and apparently a 2017 model lens.

So the Guardian is basically A118 case with entirely new internals.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

FogHelmut posted:

Is this Street Guardian SG9665GC v3 2017 that much better than everything else? Or should I just spend half as much on something reasonable?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00U0OJMYG/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_2?colid=26IZ05XZOID8K&coliid=I30C7HBM318Y0S

New sensor, new lens, comes standard with a CPL filter. If you already have a V2 its not a big jump. Anything else its just you deciding how much more quality you want in your video. The A118C and the A119 are similar with lower price points, but have slightly worse sensors, so night time is a bit worse. Depends if you are okay paying a premium for better quality when other cameras have good enough.

A119 review $100
Street Guardian SG9665GC review not V3 $200

Street Guardian V3 vs V2 Video comparison https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/sg9665gc-v3-vs-v2-day-night-beta-fw-v30.26123/

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Gothmog1065 posted:

So, read through the last few pages of this thread, and some stuff online. My wife just got t boned in an intersection (Yet she hit him somehow, guess she was driving sideways). We had a lovely dashcam but of course it got hot and fried. I've been waffling on these a bit, but I want to make sure I'm getting all the right stuff and some of the better stuff:

So the A119S is supposed to have the Sony CMOS sensor, which is supposed to be slightly better (Same price as the A119 so no reason not to). These seem to have issues with glare so I got the polarizing film with it. Then of course the hardwire kit to go directly into the fusebox and the 64GB SD card.

Any issues with these?

This website goes over with known issues about the camera, and a basic review worth a read. https://dashcamtalk.com/a119/#Known_problems

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

The Locator posted:

On the correct side of the road at least he has a chance to see his death coming and possibly jump out of the way though!

But to ride his bike he would be crossing the road multiple times, everytime he dismounted he increases the chance of getting hit.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Greater Vancouver Crash compilation a little old but if you want to see cars crashing into each other look no further!

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Major Isoor posted:

Oh, and by the way - this is no doubt a stupid/"dashcam 101" question, but how would you all recommend mounting an A119S, and positioning the power cable? Since I remember reading on that dashcamtalk site someone linked to, that mounting the cam up behind the rear-view mirror is the best spot - which I agree with, in terms of visibility, etc. Although that'll result in the cable dangling down the middle, in your peripheral vision. So, do you all do it this way, or do you find that another solution (like mounting it low on the windscreen, in the middle) works best, for you?

The cable should be long enough for you to run it on the edge of the windshield/just behind the plastic upholstery if it can peel. There should be little clips with sticky tape that you tape onto surfaces and you can clip the cable onto that.

I run mine from the middle to the right, down the edge, under the glove compartment and have it plug into the center console as I'm too lazy to hardwire it into the circuit panel on the drivers side.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Major Isoor posted:

Ah excellent, I didn't know they were that long - that's good to know, thanks!

Oh also, I know I'm pummeling you all with questions here, but what micro SD cards do you recommend using? I ask since I've just remembered reading that SanDisk Ultra (and one other brand, I think?) cards weren't recommended for use with the dashcam, for one reason or another. (Plus apparently some cards' warranties are voided if you use it in a dash cam, and they die prematurely) Is a Transcend, or perhaps a Kingston card a good way to go, or?

Basically Dashcams are reading, writing, and erasing a lot. I haven't personally used these sd cards yet, but I thought it gave a good overview to at least help decide what to pick.
SD Card dashcams

Get an MLC type sd Card

Class 10 is really all you need, extra speed like Class 3 or UHS doesn't matter unless you taking 4k video.

32Gb is the sweet spot (3-4 hours), but I prefer 64 Gb as I can sometimes drive up to 8 hours in one day before I get home to take an sd card out.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

incogneato posted:

I don't know how much truth there is to it, but I've read that "normal" SD cards are not made to withstand the constant writing that a dash cam puts out. Apparently they are more prone to failure. There are SD cards that allege to be better for that sort of high volume overwriting.

No idea if it's a marketing gimmick or not, because I know nothing about memory. I've just seen that pop up in discussions online when I was researching cams.

I'd love to know if there's truth to it, because I have a 64gb card just sitting around unused.

You'll just have a shorter lifespan and need to replace it sooner. SD cards are not really made for the constant write/erase of a dashcam recording for hours on end. Like instead of being able to completely rewrite itself 1000 times, a bad one can only do it 500 times. You should always check your sd card and make sure it is writing and recording properly, and that you can take the recordings off the dashcam.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Finally a little dashcam incident for the thread. Not too exciting just being aware of the cars coming down the hill and knowing when to stop before completing the turn. I shouldn't have rolled through the stop sign because I didn't want to stop and wanted to have momentum. Hard habit to break of just rolling and not stopping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBNcXhCog-E

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Looks like TND started the turn but paused and wasn't physically in front of the red-light runner until he stopped then completed the turn.

Back seat driver says: Probably don't even start to turn if you think he might be running the red light. But I've totally started a turn on a 4 way stop even when I suspected the SUV coming down the icy hill full speed probably isn't going to make the stop sign. (She slid into the intersection and I had to wait for her to go after she stopped)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBNcXhCog-E

Chillyrabbit fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 24, 2021

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

PittTheElder posted:

Can't decide if you also live in Calgary or all Canadian cities just look the same in winter...

I do, it's just an old video of me being a bad driver and rolling through stop signs. I now do the full stop even though it's annoying.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Minor close calls but the first one caught my eye because on that whole wide empty road the hatchback closely swerves into people twice trying to do a lane change.

The 2nd part in the video was that black SUV forcing their way into the queue (after being queued up behind the truck with an open spot to merge into) even when the pick up truck blocked them. The pickup driver later on swerved into them a couple of times probably yelling at them but it was pretty far off and not easily seen on camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUHxqa9jgFE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Having an always on camera is really rough since you'll be running it 24/7 and basically run through memory cards quickly by the constant writing and deleting, so if you do go for that mode prepare yourself to already consider the SD cards as consumables that need to be replaced every year or so.

I've had a street guardian for 4 years, and when I got my new car, I switched to the viofo a119 duo, which I've now had for 4+ years.

Had to get 1 new SD card since then, but it still is kicking around.

Mentioned before but unless you drop serious cash nearly all dashcams use the same camera sensor so quality on all of them are pretty terrible for reading license plates except in perfect conditions.

The viofo can't really record license plates but really the use case is to show its not your fault if someone tries to insurance scam you, get funny car driving videos, and post horrifying clips of people trying to murder you driving cars.