Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Betacord
Mar 24, 2013

7 DAYS / 1 PROGRAM
I'm considering buying the G1W. I'm assuming the mount is just some kind of standard suction-cup setup, is it simple enough to transfer the whole thing between vehicles? Sounds like it's easy enough to take the camera out, but I was thinking of using it across a few different cars. I read the mount can be quite fragile but that's about all I can find.

For me, it'd be more for occasional hobby use than 24/7 recording (trackdays and event type things) so I wouldn't mind having the wire running into the cigarette lighter, but it's any kind of ordeal to transfer car-to-car it probably isn't worth it. It just sounds like it would beat my current setup of jamming a digital camera under the passenger head restraint and a lot cheaper than the dedicated track camera solutions I've seen.

Also is it possible to disable the date/time stamp? (not exactly a deal-breaker)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betacord
Mar 24, 2013

7 DAYS / 1 PROGRAM
I got my G1W (in brown) and I'm impressed!

As with a few others, I'm looking for a visor mount, not had much success so far as most of the camera mounts I've seen are for some variation of the screw-on sort like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190897181553

The G1W uses some kind of slide-on plastic rectangle type mount (it's hard to describe, I suspect it has a name). I'd really like something similar to the linked mount, cheap and unobtrusive, but basically with the slide/click mount. Anyone come up with anything broadly similar?

Betacord
Mar 24, 2013

7 DAYS / 1 PROGRAM
My G1W has started making weird morse code type noises over the recordings, I'm guessing the mic has shifted and is now next to some internal stuff. Luckily the sound recording was pretty lousy anyway, so I've just muted it. As long as the video works I'm happy.

Betacord
Mar 24, 2013

7 DAYS / 1 PROGRAM
Nope! I did consider that, the sound is a little different to phone transmission though, more like background spaceship noises on some 70s sci-fi or an ancient modem. It's still recording sound, but it's drowned out by the weird noises. Not changed anything, it just started doing it one day. Tried hard-resetting, changing various config options without success.

Betacord
Mar 24, 2013

7 DAYS / 1 PROGRAM
Some old guy deciding to queue in traffic on his electric scooter today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dHJH6nu9d0

I'm familiar with the area and can offer no explanation.