Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 233 days!)

So, where are we with the cheaper dashcams, now?

G1W is common- but firmware and other issues seem to be at play for many builds.
0801 is the predecessor to the 0803, which lack mounting stuff, but is generally thought of as better?
Mobius B is... ???

I'm looking for a fairly cheap and mostly idiot-proof solution as a gift. I know everybody thinks theirs is the best/worst- but is there somewhere which does a fairly good comparison of features/abilities, and ease of use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Cartoon posted:

I bought a really cheap "Response' dashcam.

Tell me about pissing off bleeding heart aussies.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

The Locator posted:

I see stuff like that almost every day (sometimes a lot more than once) on my ugly commute.

Yep. Every. Goddamn. Day. (that I go into town) There is the three-isle-sweep onto the interstate, both ways. Even better, for a short distance on the return, it balloons up to 5 lanes, and back down to 3 within about half a mile. The exit after that one has two merges onto it and one out within, oh... 400 feet or so. It was accident prone BEFORE the 5 lane debacle. Welp..

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

I'm going to be rejoining the Dashcam Denziens after having sold my G1W to CSB without ever using it.

The methheads down the street seem to be taking care of their grandkids (at least for the holidays). :frogsiren: Yesterday they spent a couple hours playing and hopping off their bicycles and sliding them under the comical gap beneath the neighbors' jacked up Grand Cherokee. That'll end well.

Hell maybe I just need a webcam. v:v:v

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

For anyone who is a poor like me and thinks this is a good idea, this cheapo turd is actually worth the $17 (I paid $15). You can turn off most of the 'cheap stupid poo poo made to impress nobody', change the boot logo images, et al. The battery will charge for at least an hour when I did an override to keep it on after I turned off the ignition. I decided to feed it a class 4 card, instead of a class 10, and it works just fine. In poor light it switches to black and white until there is enough color to saturate, but I don't think it actually has IR.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

PuTTY riot posted:

The light would reflect off of the glass and you wouldn't be able to see anything if you mean an IR LED

Just like my security cams do (that have it). :haw:

Yes, it claims to have an IR LED, but I think it just has a garbge CCD that goes B&W without a lot of light saturation. You get decent viewing with just the headlights, but it works better with high beams. For <$20, I'm still not going to complain. I'm going to pick up a second one for my folks, who will make good use of 'turn it on and ignore it'. It seems perfectly fine for basic use, but I managed to get mine stuck (trapped) by changing modes when trying to record the aftermath of this last night, and I wasn't going to play with it too much when first in line waiting for the county trooper to let me go. Turns out I accidentally paused it, but you have to do a proper sequence of buttons to get it out of this mode afterwards. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

I ain't got time for 10 years of catchup on this thread.

What's the current cheap favorite not-pared-to-smartphone option everyone's running? G1W is long gone, my cheap Uniden's firmware is scrambled and it won't record, and a garbage Chinesium I have right now is probably not going to survive the winter.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)