Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I've been reading this thread, trying to find a camera for my dad, it has to be "leave it and forget it" kind of operation. He was reading glowing reviews of G1W but mostly wants it because of the large screen that he'll never ever use. Just like mini 0803/1 there are user submitted pictures on amazon showing cameras melting and falling apart. Is G1W good enough for him or is there something better that I'm missing. My price range is under $100 and that's with the memory card. Which Mobius camera is everyone referring to? Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

some texas redneck posted:

Too tired to go get the camera out of the car, but I'll try and post the video tomorrow.
Looking forward to it

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

nm posted:

The only problem is proving who was driving. Testimony will be more than enough to prove a H&R and the illegal right turn is evidence of flight which can be used to show knowledge.
Good news is that 9 out of 10 times the driver will narc themselves out.
Hit and run is an actual crime with possible jail time. The police actually treat it fairly seriously everywhere, unlike accidents. Generally though, they have no leads, this has a big lead.

Keep us updated.
OP does not care who was driving, all they need is the other car's insurance provider info. In busy metropolitan areas, police rarely bother investigating , unless someone got seriously hurt. Hopefully these assholes get hit with hit and run charges, but that certainly depends on where the incident occurred and how overloaded the police are.

I've t-bonned a car flying though a red light. No dash cam, but my phone is mounted on dash for gps purposes and I've managed to snap a few shots before the car took off. I assumed they were either drunk, had warrants, or the car could have been stolen. Whatever. Police shows up 30 min later, completely ignored my pictures and wrote this out as a single vehicle accident. Despite the fact that i'm driving a tank-like pickup truck with minor damage, while the other car looked like it's ready for a junkyard. That's Philly for you, guys. Took 12 months for my lawyer to straighten everything out and collect money from the other vehicle's insurance.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Does anyone have a functional dash cam they want to get rid of cheap? I don't really care about quality, just need it to work.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Is there a camera I can mount on my bike helmet that does not look like a loving Christmas tree ornament? The less conspicuous the better.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'm not doing track days, just regular street riding. Some of it is at night, so looks like Contour is out. Shame, it's rather inconspicuous otherwise. Thanks for the suggestions

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Is it just adhesive that attaches it to the helmet? Because that's a bit scary

Sorry for the derail

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

0rganDonor posted:

Bonus; Have a stop sign runner calling my bluff and nearly losing badly;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc291rpj1pQ
Does that idiot drive around with blue brake lights or is there something going on with your colors?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It's more important who is at fault in the eyes of the insurance company, not judge/police. I'm PA, a forward moving vehicle is 100% to blame for striking another in the back. The logic behind it, is that you're supposed to be traveling at a safe stopping distance. No idea how they accommodate for situations where someone pulls out into the 65 mph traffic lane, while going 10.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Scruff McGruff posted:

It's some inside joke on the channel, I think he accidentally used "ride" instead of "right" in one of his videos and people went nuts about it in the comments so now he puts it all the time just to annoy them
Is the Fair Use disclaimer on a video that's monetizing other people's poo poo also to annoy them?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Why in the world would police investigate a minor traffic offence recorded on your camera? Or was there an actual accident? I'm watching it on the phone and can't see every detail.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

The Mandingo posted:

Deadspin's deal of the day is a Rexing V6 2.7" for $50. Is this a good deal?
It's out of stock

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
So I'm still shopping for a camera, and this seem to be the winner in my (sub 100) price range... Except I don't see a way to mount it on a bike helmet. It'll be in the car, 90% of the time. But I'd still prefffer to have video evidence on a bike trip, when some mouthbreather eventually merges into me because "sorry, bro, didn't see you". Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Get a different camera? Mount it on a bike windscreen instead? Thanks

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SK8B47W/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=QN6ZDL5RPQ22&coliid=IFPA3WOCO2Q3C

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Biscuit Joiner posted:

A Mobius is about the same price and is a fantastic camera. If you get a mobius you should get the Super Capacitor for it as well. Mine has been working great for about a year now with no problems other than the battery dying (repalaced with a super capacitor).

Do you mean a bicycle or motorcycle?

Motorcycle, but the mounting function is the same as a bicycle, handlebar clamp or helmet. The camera you linked would work great on a helmet with that adhesive Velcro pad. But can it stay put at 90 mph? Also, how does it mount on a car's windshield? Or do I need to velcro it to the flat part of my dash?

Also, is there a function to turn the lens 90°? Because on a bike helmet it'll likely get mounted on the side

Edit: i found all the mounting answers on dashcamtalk.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 18, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I got a Mini 0806 and aside from the annoying unmarked buttons (what does what? nobody knows) it's pretty good, and it can hold an enormous size microsd card which is nice. Here is a boring sample video from me driving to work the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_L9azHnlgs&t=5s

e: loving hell my windscreen is FILTHY

These are usually boring as gently caress, but the tour of central London is kinda nice. Thanks for sharing :D

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's the one, lifehacker has a coupon code to knock it down to around $57 I think. Looks super interesting and I've been happy with every Aukey product I've bought so far.
Can you link the coupon?

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 15, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Thanks. Order placed. Does anyone know if it'll work with this memory card? I ordered one anyway, price is hard to beat.

Oddhair posted:

Mmicrocenter has a PNY 128GB SDXC card on sale for $31.99 down from >$100 until the end of the month. I know the Mobius has seen some reports of incompatibility with Class 10 cards, but I couldn't find a 6GB class 4 card in the local store's maze of flash memory and it's been working fine with the store brand class 10 card that's in it. This card also has the newer UHS bus so I have no idea how it'll work though from reading the descriptions of all the speed rating systems the camera should just treat it like a really big SDHC card. Will report back; looking forward to having 10 hours of drive time before that one video I forgot to pull off the card gets deleted.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
http://www.amazon.com/Rotatable-Cov...316%5Bb%7Cdeals

So I bought $57 AUKEY camera and have a few issues to report.

The bad:
Horrific instructions that explain very little
You have to use the app to view and save video files, it's a very bad app
Sharing videos via app is impossible. I'm yet to pull the memory card to see if format is readable on PC, but that's the only option left.
There is light underneath and on the back of camera. It's either constantly ON or blinking. Blinking function is not explained in the manual, no changes in camera operation. What the gently caress
The "M" button does not capture still shots, which is what it supposed to do according to the manual.
Permanently attaches to the windshield via 3M sticky pad, no other mounting options exist.
Lens of camera is mounted on a silver-colored drum, it rotates independently from body. That is a very visible color and if you wanted to hide your camera, tough poo poo. Between this and the fuckign disco lights, that camera is drawing too much attention.

The good:
Very nice daytime image, acceptable night footage, license plates are readable ~15' away
No battery
Link to a phone app is very nice, wish it had more options
Will pull current date/time from phone when synced
Selectable quality and resolution on the fly
Lens can be adjusted vertically by at least 180 degrees for different mounting positions

Also, I'm very skeptical about the "G sensor", because there is nothing about it in the manual or on the box, or in camera options.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Ha, that's like normal day in Philly. Stay safe

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Takes No Damage posted:

It looks like they stop as soon as they get in front of the wreck so you're probably right :unsmith:

I kinda wish I had pulled the video now, but a few months ago I was behind a BMW at a red light and when it went green he just sat there for a second. I was all ready to go 'arg arg arg fuckin beemr assholes think they own the road bla bla' then he rolled his window down and handed some cash to a dude who was begging on the medium. Oh..... oh. It's me, I'm the rear end in a top hat :(

It's cool. You can contribute to someone else's drug problem at the next intersection.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Cugel the Clever posted:

Assisting the homeless out of their homelessness should be the prerogative of the state and charitable organizations that can manage the complex and comorbid problems that go along with the homelessness, including drug addiction, as Nitrox pointed out. People just handing out cash at the freeway exit perpetuates the cycle.

But that's an argument perhaps better left for another thread.
Thank You

Now, oldie but goodie https://youtu.be/GCuLCEv1a5M Read the video description for an explanation

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Nitrox posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Rotatable-Cov...316%5Bb%7Cdeals

So I bought $57 AUKEY camera and have a few issues to report.

The bad:
Horrific instructions that explain very little
You have to use the app to view and save video files, it's a very bad app
Sharing videos via app is impossible. I'm yet to pull the memory card to see if format is readable on PC, but that's the only option left.
There is light underneath and on the back of camera. It's either constantly ON or blinking. Blinking function is not explained in the manual, no changes in camera operation. What the gently caress
The "M" button does not capture still shots, which is what it supposed to do according to the manual.
Permanently attaches to the windshield via 3M sticky pad, no other mounting options exist.
Lens of camera is mounted on a silver-colored drum, it rotates independently from body. That is a very visible color and if you wanted to hide your camera, tough poo poo. Between this and the fuckign disco lights, that camera is drawing too much attention.

The good:
Very nice daytime image, acceptable night footage, license plates are readable ~15' away
No battery
Link to a phone app is very nice, wish it had more options
Will pull current date/time from phone when synced
Selectable quality and resolution on the fly
Lens can be adjusted vertically by at least 180 degrees for different mounting positions

Also, I'm very skeptical about the "G sensor", because there is nothing about it in the manual or on the box, or in camera options.

I'd like to report that camera has stopped working, 3 weeks out of Amazon's return policy. Seller did not respond to my email. Good times

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Godholio posted:

Yeesh. Mine's still working.

The blinking light means it's recording. When you hold down power, the light goes solid on, then everything shuts off.

I still haven't pulled the card to see if it's readable on PC either.

Blinking light is the most "LOOK AT ME" thing there is, and is the last thing I wanted in my window. But the camera recorded while the light was steady ON, so I don't know what's up. In fact, my lighter socked is always powered, and I've recorded 3-4 hours of parking lot footage once. The most amazing thing is how little battery power that camera requires.

It's easily readable on PC, by the way. 1 minute clips are very easy to manage and edit.

Does anyone want to recommend a replacement camera under $100 with similar options? I can do without the blinking lights, but phone output was a really awesome thing.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

MattD1zzl3 posted:

this is..... sort of a dash cam? Crossposting from the miata thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOqDhRtqxOs

The gently caress is this stupid poo poo.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Dope fiends will break window thinking your dash cam is worth enough money to get high. They will break window if you have loose change in plain sight. It's not a mystery, really

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Hello everyone. A year ago I was asking this thread about motorcycle specific "registrator" or dashcam.

Ended up settling on Sena 10C simply because there isn't much out there. But it is an excellent travel companion, tough and rugged. I've had an accident where camera actually hit the pavement. It broke the bracket and casing, but the little bastard still recording.

Photos and video review here https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/sena-10c-bluetooth-communicator-and-video

I can post my own if anyone is interested.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I think powerful magnets and sensitive electronic equipment may be a bad combination. Why not use something like this, and stick directly on glass? Woks for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0773FXVKL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
One thing I learned from skateboards and bicycles is that you want to minimize the contact with asphalt as much as possible. So when you fall, tumble and move, never freeze up. Every second your skin is touching the pavement, the less skin you have. That skillset served me remarkably well during a 65 mph motorcycle accident.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Your buddy needs to wear a camera and then press charges. Also post the footage here. Sena 10C is about $260 on Ebay and it's worth every penny

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Those usually get installed on RVs, because they are large enough to warrant so many cameras. On a standard car it's rather unnecessary.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Takes No Damage posted:

I see lovely lane changes every day but even relatively speaking this is pretty impressive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtdZIUY2PLY

From a KDLINKS X1 dashcam about to enter it's 3rd Texas summer. Not great quality but it is still chugging along.
I like your choice of classical music.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Don't buy cameras with internal batteries, unless you're out of options or somehow.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

ratbert90 posted:

I am afraid of motorcycles for this very reason. I have strapped my dumb teenage self into a 600HP 1991 CRX-HF with no roll cage before and had a blast, but a motorcycle? No thanks, I'm good. :v:

I had a friend in high school who crashed once on a motorcycle with just regular shirt and jeans on. He said the worst part about the accident was the hospital when they had to get the asphalt out of his skin. :gonk: He always wears full leather and jeans now, even in 100F heat. The scars on arms remind him to.
I went from fast cars in my 20's to leisure motorcycles in my 30's and it has been a wonderful experience. There are many ways to mitigate risks of riding, and being a mature responsible adult is a huge factor. Nearly 70% of motorcyclists admitted to hospitals have elevated blood alcohol levels, if that tells you anything.

My unmodified 90hp motorcycle does low 11's in a 1/4 mile and still quiet, comfortable and easy to commute on. If I were to replicate the experience in a car, huge sacrifices would be made.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I've done a few turbo kits on daily driven Hondas and they actually perform well as daily drivers. Usually because the turbo doesn't do anything until 5k+ rpms and you can mosey around town without going into boost. Don't know about "600hp"

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
GoPro sucks as a dashcam. Even at most conservative settings, battery will not last more than 3 hours, and you can't charge and record at the same time. Also, no video loop

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Fats posted:

Get a couple extra batteries. A gimbal is probably overkill for helmet mounting, your neck is already smoothing things out.

Everyone will tell you that they're bad dash cams, and they're not wrong, but there's also very little out there that will easily mount to a helmet and still work well. I'm pretty sure an A119 would disintegrate in the wind.

Edit: I get about an hour on one battery, shooting 4K with GPS off. Going down to 1440 or 1080p will get you about three.
No

Nitrox posted:

Hello everyone. A year ago I was asking this thread about motorcycle specific "registrator" or dashcam.

Ended up settling on Sena 10C simply because there isn't much out there. But it is an excellent travel companion, tough and rugged. I've had an accident where camera actually hit the pavement. It broke the bracket and casing, but the little bastard still recording.

Photos and video review here https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/sena-10c-bluetooth-communicator-and-video

I can post my own if anyone is interested.
It's cheaper than GoPro

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Fats posted:

I had a Sena Prism Tube before I got the GoPro, and was fairly disappointed with it. Picture quality wasn’t great, and it would often lose the last few minutes of footage when I’d turn it off. I’m glad the 10C is better; if I didn’t already have a 10S I would have considered one.

I’d never heard of the Fly12 before, but it looks very good. Odd how they manage ~10 hours of runtime when these others can hardly do 3.
I don't know what Prism is, but my post was about Sena 10C, which has nothing to do with it.

nm posted:

He's riding a bicycle.
It mounts on a helmet. He can ride a mechanical bull for all we care.

Fly12 looks like a really good item. Amazon long term reviews are pretty good.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 29, 2018

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You're right, most bicycle helmets don't have a good mounting position for it, I take it back.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Sena 10C is bluetooth first, camera second. It mounds on a side and comes with speakers and such, so most of that functionality will be lost on a bicycle helmet installation. Considering that it cost $340, you either get a 3/4 helmet or just move to something else, like a Fly12 posted above. The bluetooth setup is loving excellent, especially if you're riding in a group and will use it to full potential. It does group or individual chat with up to 4 people and you can even share music between users. There is nothing better on the market if you're on a motorcycle.

https://imgur.com/3XOAM17

If you're looking to film 4k footage in extreme fisheye style, then GoPro or similar is what you want. If you want to leave it and forget it camera that just loops forever, and will only be used in case of an accident, then maybe 10C is a better option.

My experience with GoPros circa early 2017 is that they could not loop or charge while shooting video. Glad to hear they corrected those shortcomings.

Zero VGS posted:

I was probably going to mount to the chinguard.
You're adding weight to a helmet in the worst possible spot, especially with that specific helmet.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 30, 2018

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Thank you for that post, it's very informative.

Another reason Sena is the best motorbike cam, it mounts in the safest possible spot. https://imgur.com/3XOAM17

Edit: Bicycle dudes, https://www.evanscycles.com/coffeestop/news/10-things-to-know-about-mips-in-bicycle-helmets

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

LloydDobler posted:

So for those of us with multiple cars, has there been any discussion of a good cam that can mount/dismount and swap between? Or are they inexpensive enough that if you have two cars you should just get two cams?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0773FXVKL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's an excellent camera and you can order additional mounts from manufacturer. However, at this price point, buy 2. I did