Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

davebo posted:

Allstate's recent survey, among the top 200 U.S. cities the D.C. area came in 197th for collisions.

https://www.allstate.com/tools-and-resources/americas-best-drivers.aspx
I'm not saying YOU interpreted this wrong, but the way you stated here is unclear.

#1 on this list is the least likely to have collisions, #200 is most likely (of these 200). DC was 197th.

So it made the list of best places, but it was very low on the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

sharkytm posted:

Better Than Boston (R)(C)

200TH, baby! Dead loving last.
It's funny, because I travel for work, as do many of my coworkers, and they (being from the Midwest) all bitch about Los Angeles (where I'm from) traffic and drivers, and I always tell them that Boston is way worse. It's nice to see evidence backing my opinion!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Cartoon posted:

This is clearly your fault. Can't you plan your route better?
Asking someone on the road - or in this thread - to think ahead. What are you, crazy?

I agree.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I cannot imagine that I could mentally justify being behind that car and not turning on all of my offroad lights. If I'm going to stare at the surface of the sun while I'm driving, I'm going to need to light the road to that level also, so that I can drive safely.

Of course, I'd probably also just get in front of him and turn the backup lights on, but that's harder to actually justify. I mean, it's not that hard, but ...

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

I ain't waiting around on a mostly empty street with no peds present for some inconsiderate dickheads to finish their middle of the road chat :v:

Seriously, I have no idea why people feel they should do that when roads are for driving on and there are people waiting behind them. I see it every couple of weeks, usually where there is no way around. Beeping the horn gets some glaring and they clearly think it's not their fault.
I'm 100% with you on this - pull the gently caress over and talk.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ha, I live near here.

Gooooooodddddddd, that dumb girl yelling at the cop about the truck.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Edit, wrong

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 9, 2017

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Work has me traveling to chicago for about 8 months this year.

Given how badly these people drive, I can't wait for it to be over.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Chicago update: Still terrible.

Note: Some of this happened on the way into Indiana, which is terrible too.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I care deeply about your opinion, thanks for sharing it.

Edit because I do like being open, generally:

I certainly didn't run anyone off the road, I attempted to close the shoulder. He decided to drive off the road because he's a road raging moron - or, in simpler terms, a bully.

Bullies will always do what they can get away with, and I've always made it a point to encourage them to the extent possible not to get away with things. You're certainly welcome to live your life differently. I won't even stoop to your level and say "gently caress you" as you did.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 9, 2017

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Cage posted:

When I intentionally try to cause accidents you should absolutely tell me to gently caress myself, as I would be a danger on the road.
I have never intentionally or unintentionally tried to cause an accident, so cool, I guess.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Nope, didn't try to cause an accident. If I had, believe me, I could've.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yup, lol.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ok guys, relax, the video is gone and I won't post about it again. Everyone will be ok. Thanks to those that kept somewhat less extreme views.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Locator posted:

Nice new avatar Krakkles. :v:
Man, there's a lot of typos in there - somebody was maaaaaaaad.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Option to upload all, upload flagged, upload flagged plus configurable period before after?

I'd pay a lot more than I've paid so far for dashcams for this.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Depends on what you mean by flagged?
Something happens, push a button, most cameras lock the file. I'd look at it as both a lock and a flag - this file should be uploaded. I'd add configurability to say "I also want the <x> minutes leading up to or after", as well.

In terms of other features, I know this is an existing thing, but put in a parking mode that records video when an impact is detected? Motion maybe, but if you park on the street or the sensitivity is wrong, it gets absurd.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

uncle w benefits posted:

I was able to stuff the wire under my headliner in my wifes Corolla, but trying to stuff the wire behind the plastic housing with the SRS Sidecurtain Airbag stamp on it, that runs down the sides of the windshield, is very difficult. I can't seem to pry the plastic away from the frame enough to get the cable in there, and I don't want to muck with it too hard because it's an airbag. Are there any products, like poofy tape or something, that I can use to tape the wire just along the edge of this housing? It'd be great because there is a bit of black on the glass along this border, and you couldn't even tell it was there.
DO NOT gently caress WITH THOSE.

I just wanted to state that clearly to hopefully communicate that you do NOT want to pry on it, put wires in it/in front of it, etc.

Electrical tape would do what you mention later, which is fine, but do not gently caress with your airbags.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

IIRC an actual traffic lawyer, in this thread, explained the folly of dashcam GPS and how people grt screwed with it on.
That was nm, as Yugiho alluded to. And yeah, that’s about how I remember it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Not sure this helps much, but just for another data point: I use this stuff to attach my radio handset to the dash of my Jeep. It doesn't get pulled off once or twice a week, but when I do go wheeling, it's on and off all day. It's been on there for 4+ years and hasn't shown the slightest sign of weakening.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Chunjee posted:

I'm looking at this one that goes over the existing rearview mirror because I want a backup cam without messing with adding a screen:
https://www.amazon.com/Pruveeo-D700-7-Inch-Channel-Reversing/dp/B073WFJ7HV

Any experience on how shaky that might record? I only really care about the video in event of insurance claims.
This isn't a perfect parallel, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6DyNFcRjA8

That's a Mobius attached to the stem holding the rearview, in a lifted Jeep on mud tires. There's some noticeable vibration/shake, but it's generally still clear enough to capture details. If your car shakes less than a lifted Jeep, I think you could probably count on it being reasonably steady. Because the camera is attached to the mirror, though, I'd make a point to make sure it's as securely attached as possible, which might take some doing.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Godholio posted:

How well is it going to hold in an accident?
Yeah, it looks like it just clamps onto the mirror (four corners, from above and below), and if that's the case ... I mean, i'd be surprised if it stayed on during driving on anything but glass smooth roads in smooth cars. From that standpoint alone, I'd want to reinforce that.

Beyond that, you have a pretty good chance that the mirror itself (meaning, the part of your car mounted to the glass) comes off in an accident anyway - I've seen that happen, a lot. Part of me thinks that as long as it captures everything up until, it might not be a big deal, but a) it might be, and b) it's another projectile now.

If it could be secured well, I kind of dig the idea, because it lets you add a backup cam relatively easily as well. I'm kind of tempted to get one and see what I can do to mount it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Fo3 posted:

These are regarded as the best current value cams with decent reviews and comparisons. The top 3 front only and top 3 front/rear cams if you scroll down.
https://carcamcentral.com/guide/best-dash-cams-car-dvrs-black-boxes-of-2018
Looking this over - if I need parking mode, is it pretty much BlackVue only, or are there others I should look at?

stevewm posted:

Can someone recommend a 12v to 5v hardwire power adapter that doesn't blast out a bunch of EMI?

I've tried 2 different ones now attempting to hardwire my dashcam, and they both blast out so much EMI crap it completely swamps all AM/FM reception.
Are you going to 2 wire 5v, or USB? I've got this and haven't had problems - though, full disclosure, I rarely listen to broadcast. (I definitely didn't hear interference when I did, but I don't regularly listen to it.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 14, 2018

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I got this one and installed it recently:

eRapta ERT01 2nd Generation Car... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074KZSVD6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Couple of thoughts:
  • it includes a video feed (RCA) wire that also incorporates a power feed wire - so you only have to run one wire, instead of two.
  • It’s not totally obvious from their description, but the LEDs are not IR - they are quite visible. (Up to you if this is good or not, I like it, but don’t be a dick and leave it wired on all the time.)
  • It overlays a parking guide (green/yellow/red lines) on the video feed. Nice if your head unit doesn’t do it, probably bad if your head unit does.

I like it, and it has the upside of being pretty cheap (I say that not having looked at the other links, but I did pick this partially based on price when I was shopping)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Geoj posted:

If you scroll through the pictures there's a wire loop that can be cut near the camera that disables the guide.
Even better, and I was wondering what that was. (My head unit doesn’t do it, so I appreciate having it.)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Long Francesco posted:

I like that one, couple questions:

Do the leds actually throw light or are they the ones that blind you if you look directly at them but don't do much otherwise?

and, are the power and video wires all molded together or is it like a zip cord kind of thing? I don't really see a reason to run power all the way up front when you can just butt into your reverse lights
They're definitely not as bright as my (Sylvania ZEVO) backup lights, but they're pretty bright and do throw a fair amount of light - I wouldn't expect them to light very far away, but it does help see detail right behind the car. Bit difficult to get a good shot, but here's an attempt:

As for the wire, it's molded together. It may vary by headunit, but on mine (and I think on most), you need reverse 12V into the back of the headunit so it knows when to switch the camera view on.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Wrex Ruckus posted:

what's the deal with the truck blocking the white car?
My initial thought was that he was pulling up there to help the person in the white car + put some flashing lights in the road to make the cars more visible (which, if that's what he was doing, he did in a weird way, but ...), but then I didn't see him get out and try to help. So if I had to guess, he has some weird personal experience with hit and runs that made him act really strangely?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

Also wtf with people in the few previous videos watching a wreck and then just driving away? I hope they at least submitted the footage to the cops later. When I got hit by a red light runner I only had one person stop to confirm to the cops that I had the green light. Without him there could have been a really annoying he said she said situation.
That drives me insane. "Oh, I just watched someone probably die, I'll hit the save button to make sure I can get internet cred later and ... that's all I'm willing to do here!"

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

STR posted:

I have a dashcam video I want to post, but it has (a) a coworker's car visible (and he asked that if I upload the video, to block out the license plate) and (b) another coworker's face visible (road rage passenger screaming at him and pounding his window :stare:).

Anyone have suggestions on easy ways to blur out a face and license plate? Let's pretend I have no experience with video editing except for trimming clips and joining clips...
It won't solve both, but it might be easier to crop the license plate out?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

STR posted:

PERFECT! Thank you!

Now I just need to get off my rear end and pull the video. :v: I hit the "emergency" button, so it shouldn't get overwritten (not that I drive much anymore anyway, and it has a 64GB card...)
I have to admit that I'm curious to see this. POST IT ALREADY

:v:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Looking for dashcam recommendations. I've checked out the ones I can find on the last couple pages and haven't quite found what I'm looking for: I'd like it to be relatively stealth (like this Aukey or this Vantrue), I'd like a Parking Mode that is entered automatically (which I'm sure requires hardwiring, which I intend anyway, but I don't want to plug it into the OBD port). Bonus points if it's a dual front/rear setup, but I'm ok with wiring up two separately if needed.

The VanTrue requires the OBD port for parking mode, the Blueskysea B1W that I saw recommended in the last couple pages requires you to switch to parking mode manually.

Is this possible? The best answer I can come up with seems to be those modern BlackVues, but fuuuuuuck, that price.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Blackvue DR590W-2ch with the Power Magic Pro kit?

If you want something that's really stealth the Blendmount kits are really nice, so maybe look at the models they offer (Blackvue is one of only a few). You can then take it to a stereo installation place and have them run the wires so it's all nice and tucked away.
This is looking more and more likely, although it's still more than I was hoping to spend. I didn't know Blendmount made mounts for this, but I'm familiar with their products - I have their Valentine One mount in my cars. And I'd wire this myself, but appreciate the thought.

Craptacular posted:

I've got a midrange 2-channel Blackvue and I'd recommend it. Parking mode with only recording motion, and a 128 GB SD card means I get quite a lot of video captured before old video gets overwritten. The only problem is that video transfer over wifi is pretty slow, so you pretty much need to remove the SD card and put it in a PC to view videos.
I'm ok with that. Dumb question: The DR590 listed on BlackVue's site asks for "memory size" - does it not use cards?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ah, that makes sense. I'm good with that. Thank you!

Edit: Probably last question: There are a few amazon reviews on the 590 where the person is saying it's impossible to make out a license plate - but it also looks like the images they're supplying as "proof" are live view images. I'm assuming that in the actual recorded video, copied off the SD card and viewed on a PC, that's not generally an issue?

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 7, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yeah, that's probably an issue no matter what. The person on Amazon was saying it's an issue in daylight, too, though.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Takes No Damage posted:

This is a hell of a setup:

Do they sell whole kits like this or did someone just DIY 4 cameras together?

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm gonna go with DIY. Also, camera car is a dick in that situation for being in the middle lane for no good reason.
99% sure that’s a Tesla. Maybe other OEMs have made it available too, but the mid-panel side camera is usually a Tesla thing.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Dumb question: Why do most of the manufacturers seem to want to run through the OBD port if you want the camera to run while the car is off but not kill the battery? Does the OBD port turn itself off at some voltage cutoff or in some other way obviate the need for a voltage monitor built into the (cable / cam)?

I saw these adapters and would like my wife's car to have parking mode, but don't really like the idea of having a random device plugged into the OBD port.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I haven't driven a Passport lately, but Ford certainly has capless gas systems and auto start-stop down and they seem like really weird things to get mad about. You can usually disable auto start-stop if it's something that really bothers you and you think contributing to global warming a little bit more is better than a car having a couple of extra noises but otherwise behaving in exactly the same way. The fuel system thing - sure, needing a tool for a gas can bites, but how often are you filling up from cans? More pointedly, how often are your elderly parents filling up from anything except a gas station? The convenience of not having the check engine light concern of a fuel cap, not having to remember to put it on, and presumably problem some kind of emissions benefit over thousands of fillups probably outweighs needing a tool twice, ever, in your ownership of the car. The only real argument there that I can see is "what if you don't have the tool", but they're a lot more ubiquitous than you thing - I've seen a bunch in the wild without even realizing what they are, and only connected it when I just looked up a youtube video on whether Fords use it (they do).

(I've literally never run out of gas in the 20 years I've been driving so maybe my perspective is off on that one.)

stevewm posted:

Ford has been doing this for a while.. No gas cap, just a spring loaded metal flap. There is a little compartment in the trunk somewhere that usually contains a little long and narrow funnel you can use if you need to fill it up without a gas pump.
Funny story, these posts and the video I looked up made me realize a couple of things, not least amongst which, I need to verify that it's there it my wife's car AND there's a ton more storage under the floor than I thought.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Takes No Damage posted:

AC trickery is annoying, but my main concern would be something like waiting to make an unprotected left turn and having the delay to get rolling cause issues if you're trying to make a tight gap. Sure in a perfect world you wouldn't ever have to cut it that close, but I think some roads and intersections were designed with active malice...
Two easy things that make this a non-issue: Every single car I've seen auto start-stop in has a switch to disable, and every single one I've driven will not reactivate it (I.e., stop the engine) if you let up on and reapply the brake. (You don't generally have to take your foot all the way off, just lower the pressure and then reapply.) This would generally trigger in traffic - so if you're stopped at a left turn, then the light turns green/yield, rolling forward will keep the engine running. Beyond even those, they start back up really quickly.

It's really not that big of a deal.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

It's not the asserting your right of way - I'd do that too - it's the going out of your way to scream "gently caress you". I mean, you're even posting "gently caress (him)".

To be clear, he's wrong as hell, and I'd thoroughly enjoy scaring him into stopping as you did. But I'd do it with a smile, I'd maybe post the video, and I'd definitely have calmed down about it long before now.

My only point is, you're obviously aware you have anger management issues. Get help. It does get better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Takes No Damage posted:

Sometimes I wish I drove a beater, was wildly fantasizing about just slllooooooowwwwwwwwly scraping across this douche's entire driver side before he had space to turn. If it isn't clear, that is NOT a double turn intersection...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NbA-PLQe4I
I mean, I have and would never hit someone else's car, but I do love driving my rock crawler for exactly this reason. Just pull forward next to him, he'll decide to go a different way.