Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Despite being a Brit, Ive only ever driven in the US and where I live we don’t have many big roundabouts so I’d appreciate an explanation of what happens in the 2nd video, just because I don’t want to do anything stupid in case I’m driving out of state. I still feel super guilty about a howler I made a few weeks ago, so always trying to learn.

I don’t hear turning signals for the lane change and it feels like a blind spot check would’ve shown the white car coming up, so what am I missing? I know the video wouldn’t have been posted if the dashcam person was in the wrong (which I’m presuming is you based on the username) but I can’t work out what white car did wrong despite multiple views.
No, you definitely interpreted that correctly. And ... oooh, boy, that quote ain't how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Toe Rag posted:

I’m not a traffic engineer but that’s a poorly designed traffic circle IMO.

For a two lane circle, the outside lane must exit and the inside lane may exit. That’s not how that circle is designed, though. Assuming the arrows are the same all around, it looks like there are two thru lanes which is how you end up with crisscrossing traffic.

People also tend to not signal in traffic circles which adds to the problem. Signal left when staying in the circle, signal right when exiting.
Agreed. The signage before the circle, I would interpret the way the poster seems to have. The lines in the circle contradict that, though.

It's a bad circle and everyone drove badly.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Given Amazon's questionable partnerships with police departments, I'm not going to be putting any Ring cameras on any of my property.
This.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Everything about this is perfectly awful.

I like how he closes his eyes for each shot.

edit: Full video also shows that he'd been loving with the guy for awhile - he cuts him off at least twice.

Like, the other guy is obviously an idiot too, but what the fuuuuuuuck

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 29, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I dunno about way more than normal, but I find that the vast majority of dashcam content is more of a self-own than the people originally posting them seem to realize.

Zero One posted:

Umm... Except for the very last video I didn't see any that were the camera owner's fault.

Unless you think getting cut off by someone who should be giving you the right of way is your fault?
He didn't say they were the camera owner's fault, he said they made them worse ("... ratcheting the situation to 11 through their own actions"). There's certainly more than a few videos where something dumb was obviously happening and the camera owner appeared to try their best to get involved in it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

OMGVBFLOL posted:

laying on the horn for a good five seconds straight has the double-bonus of helping avoid a crash AND being an rear end in a top hat, i would highly recommend it
Replace your horn fuse with an auto-resetting circuit breaker for longer lasting honks.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Nitrox posted:

I honestly think you just startled him. I personally put on my turn signal and creep to the left for a few seconds so it's prominently in their left mirror. People react in all sorts of funny ways when you pass them in the passing zone. I've learned the hard way while riding motorcycles
Agreed. Unless he has the worst reaction time ever, that didn't look like he was trying to gotcha with a brake check, it looked like he reacted to a surprise by braking.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

You Am I posted:

New Dashcam Owners Australia crash compilation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_8TZdx6xhc

:nws: for tons of swearing
What the hell happened with that silver Tiburon at ~4:30?

Best theory I’ve got is on, running, in drive, then he either added enough ATF that it stopped slipping and/or goosed the throttle so it jumped the curb. Yeesh.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Nitrox posted:

Feel free to only post interesting things. Not like someone lazily running a red light on the opposite lane, we don't care about mundane poo poo
:agreed:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

lmao now fisheye lenses bend time as well? Ok

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

stevewm posted:

When I took my state's written driving test I do not remember roundabouts being covered at all (granted this was 20ish years ago). I also had an extended driver's education class in high school. I again don't have any memory of roundabouts being covered. I was well into my 30's before I ever remember encountering one in real life.
I definitely don't remember anything in driver's ed about them, and I won't swear to it, but I don't think they were addressed in any of the documents from the DMV in my state at that point either.

Despite that, I am and have been perfectly comfortable with them, because there's this monster near where I learned to drive:

There's also one near where I live now which is clearly a roundabout, except that it has stop sign at all four entrances. :psyduck:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I don't see anything wrong with the first clip - as long as you're checking that the lanes are clear (I.e., don't do what someone almost did in the second clip) and you give it the beans, that's a perfect valid move.

I see much more of an issue with people merging below the speed of traffic, aka the van/car in front of the black car in the second clip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

First guy drives right over a solid line. People merging way below the speed of traffic is a huge problem, but that guy is still an rear end in a top hat.
Oh no, not a solid line!

I'm all for obedience to lane markings when they matter. The line exists to encourage people to speed up before merging into traffic. There was no traffic (and again, I'm basing my ok-ness with this on the idea that the driver actually looked and validated this, which ... we'll never know), and they sped up. Sounds like they did the needful.