Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Cartoon posted:

OK fresh meat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZCx9Huij3M

Who's in the wrong here.

The manufacturer of that camera for passing that off as a video recording device when it's clearly a flipbook maker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

How did that whole thing happen without you saying a word?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

CornHolio posted:

A police report? No, but I'm calling insurance today. I don't see any value in a police report. I think it came off of the truck on the right shoulder that you see towards the end, not the truck right in front of me. No way I could go back and get his plate or anything or even prove it was his.

I'm a pretty calm driver, unless I'm remarking at the utter stupidity of people.

Same but I would have at least let out an 'oh no' or 'son of a beesting!'

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MrOnBicycle posted:

Like all the morons in the dashcam videos that honk before even moving their foot toward the brake pedal. So drat tiring to see. Also, when I taught my wife to drive I always told her to be super careful in towns when there are two lanes going forward and the car in the lane next to you is stopping for no reason and you can't see why.

Good advice. The response to 'why is this idiot stopping for no reason' should be 'i should slow down too just in case'.

Seems like a lot of the cars in these videos have awful tires too.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Caught my first incident!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR4aZkFi7jw

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That's the one I have and I'm happy with it. There's a video sample somewhere in the last couple of pages.

I like having front and back, good piece of mind there. Twice as many videos to check if I forgot why I saved one lol. And of course when I saw a bicyclist wreck and spill his pack of Lacroix on the sidewalk and have a seltzer fountain it was perfectly timed to be on my side and missed on both. Front video, guy on bike, rear, guy on sidewalk.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Bondematt posted:

So...I got the A129 Plus Duo.

Figured swapping it out would be super simple, but I cannot get the ROAV mount off the windshield. Tried floss, which just resulted in some pretty deep creases in my hand. Tried heat, which let me get it started, but it's still super stuck.

Think i just need to try a few rounds of heat, but I was expecting it to come right off.

How about the opposite, can you get your hands on a little chunk of dry ice and freeze it and scrape it off? Or since it's such a small bit a can of duster upside down?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Sagebrush posted:

...compared to...towing a trailer?

I've been laughing at that for hours now.

I get that fuel economy still matters with a trailer and that's why a lot of semi trailers have a bunch of plastic on them now for airflow...

I'd love to see the data on the mpg hit of tow mirrors though.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Yes, I do. Not the OP but I do anticipate driving around when it's -17C at least a few times a year.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Boring video alert. When I got on the freeway I must have cut this guy off or at least that's his perspective. I never saw the guy. It's a poo poo situation on this onramp where traffic is going quickly but slows down very quick thereafter and it's hard to balance getting up to speed with what I clearly see ahead as slowing traffic. I'm going to pay a lot more attention on this side to see if I'm clear and safe to merge in the future.

He was very upset for about the length of this video, it's hard to see but he was constantly pointing at his mirrors and flipping his middle finger at me. At the time linked below though he moved over and was trying to goad me into passing and making some maniac flinches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLNxALwSKDY&t=279s

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
All right do your worst, roast me for being too close or whatever. It was a strong braking effort on my part, wish I had slowed down sooner.

I slowed down a bunch, car behind me did too, then got pushed into me. No lasting damage to my truck, you can see the mark of the recovery hook I have in my tow hitch I have her bumper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsdW7tJ_5fQ

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BIG HEADLINE posted:

:sigh:

You and the Outback (not a Legacy but same thing only wagonized) did the right thing by clearing the lanes, but Mr. :downs: just had to throw on his hazards even though I'm pretty sure he had ample energy to make it to the side.

He was under 21, as I learned from spotting his vertical drivers license. I stepped up and was organizing everyone and we moved his car out of the road before long... It honestly didn't matter much since there was another collision about 1/8 mile back. That one must have been worse because an ambulance showed up for it. Our group was fine overall.

White Tahoe's passenger was napping though and woke up to a face full of airbag.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I would not have mentioned or shared the video with her at all. I'm perhaps overly worried about litigation, better safe than sorry. Or to modernize it, I don't want to find out so I'm not fuckin around.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BbFv63dOOQ

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

mobby_6kl posted:

Audio is maybe like a megabyte a minute? Negligible for 1080p video. I just have it off so it's not recording my criminal conspiracies.

I have it on so I can narrate when I see something stupid but it's probably more likely that I'll incriminate myself.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The horn is one of the few ways we can communicate from inside the car, I say use it however you want.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
It's snowing today which reminded me I had a few good snow and ice videos, so here's a three incident clip! The second one put me on edge at the time and holy poo poo it looked close on the video. The last one is really the little engine that could. I hope you can tell from the point of view from my cam, how it stays straight, moves smoothly, that I have good tires for these conditions, it was very slick out there but these guys had awful tires and skill, shouldn't have been out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U8VsfKzNoc

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Stop signs in parking lots aren't real.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

limp_cheese posted:

Just got my A129 Duo and will be installing it in my mom's car tomorrow. It seems straight forward enough but I was wondering if anybody has any tips or advice they wish they knew before installing it. I won't be hard wiring it and worst case scenario I'm sure there are YouTube videos explaining how.

I installed one and the only challenges I had was in the hard wiring. I didn't realize I had so many different fuse sizes so my two add a fuses almost didn't work.

If you're running the wire under trim pick up some plastic pry bars if you don't have them. And save the extra adhesives somewhere you can find. I had to replace the one on my rear window.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Well at least they cleared it from the road.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

~Coxy posted:

If you can steer it, clear it!

Goddamn you could get a job at Colorado DOT programming signs with that one.

Today's sign was "it's not a race, hold your place".

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
My A129 duo just died. Hangs on the title screen. I tried new firmware, a new card, and eventually disassembled it in case one of the ribbon connectors came loose as per someone else's repair.

I'm torn about getting a new one since I don't drive the vehicle to commute anymore. I probably will though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

XYZAB posted:

drat. Well the way I see it is I either got a dud or there's something else going on with the electrical in my car that just decided to start murdering dash cams. I ordered a 70MAI A800S dual cam kit to replace the Viofo, and an INNOVA 3320 multimeter to run some battery and circuit tests. If it's a problem with the electrical that I can diagnose then I'll go back and change my Amazon review.

I had two DOD cameras that I loved, but they both basically melted in the sun after a while and now they're old tech that nobody sells anymore. :sigh:

My A129 died and when I searched the issues trying to revive it I was met with quite a few reddit posts about the same failure. For how much it cost I won't try a second one.