Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I got some pretty cool footage the other night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyA9iHna4o8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I just replaced a DOD LS473W+ that started having problems staying turned on (which corrupting every microSD card I put into it) with a Viofo A119 Mini 2 that keeps tripping the gently caress out and shutting off all of the time and getting stuck in a loop of shouting "Recording Mode Enabled" at me as I'm driving. It seems to start happening when I really put my foot into the gas pedal, leading me to suspect that an electrical surge is causing it to flip the gently caress out. I have a hunch this might be what eventually caused my DOD to start malfunctioning as well, but the DOD eats SD cards even when plugged into a regular 5W USB power adaptor indoors, so I can't quite say it's the electrical circuit in the car that's causing that camera's issues. Has anyone had anything similar happen before?

I'm hardwired into the power mirror always-on switch in the car's dashboard fuse box, going from 12V fuse-tap-to-cigarette-lighter-to-USB. I've tried two different cigarette lighter USB adaptors that had different wattage and amp outputs, they both still do this. I had had problems with the power mirror control switches a while back, so in attempting to troubleshoot the dashcam electrical issues, I replaced the mirror switches, but that didn't change anything. The last thing I've yet to change out is the fusebox-to-12V-cigarette lighter adaptor that came with the DOD camera, but I'm torn between ordering one of those and just returning the Viofo, as it seems to be a commonly reported issue that these cameras can just trip the gently caress out and go nuts, ostensibly as it concerns the GPS module's questionable connection to the camera, according to some of the other forums I've read up on this problem.

Fuckin' dash cams, man.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Nocheez posted:

Have you tried disabling features to see if something is wrong with the auto detection? Like the g-sensor or something is failing, so turn off automatic recording of events?

I've been toying around with a few of the settings but there are still a handful of things I need to try, and after work I'll be trying another cigarette lighter on a different circuit entirely. I'm not enthusiastic about how it goes into timelapse mode every time I stop at a red light (aka parking mode), only to shout "Record Mode On" every time the light turns green and I start moving again. It makes me question whether it's even been recording at all since I got in the car. Very confusing feature tbh. I can disable it entirely but then it'll just be chewing through memory while the car is parked, so I would prefer to be able to use it.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Initiated a return on the A119 Mini 2, left a 1 star review. What a piece of junk. But now I get to spend ANOTHER two hours trying to find something ELSE that isn't garbage, and likely failing. Any recommendations aside from Viofo?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
drat. Well the way I see it is I either got a dud or there's something else going on with the electrical in my car that just decided to start murdering dash cams. I ordered a 70MAI A800S dual cam kit to replace the Viofo, and an INNOVA 3320 multimeter to run some battery and circuit tests. If it's a problem with the electrical that I can diagnose then I'll go back and change my Amazon review.

I had two DOD cameras that I loved, but they both basically melted in the sun after a while and now they're old tech that nobody sells anymore. :sigh:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Yeah, if you've had two different dashcams die, its your cars that's the issue, not the cams. I'd recommend installing a hardwire kit so you have a dedicated USB for the dashcam.

It was installed via hardwire. I mentioned that in my first post. I tried two different fuse jumper locations, one for always-on, one for key-on only, and even the cig lighter in the cabin to usb had the same results. Bringing them into my house and running them from 10W chargers they had the same problem.

Nitrox posted:

Clearly, the solution is to order more dashcams and plug them into the same socket

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Rinkles posted:

Any one have any opinions on this deal? Sorry I'm struggling with figuring out what's important in a dash cam.

https://www.amazon.com/70mai-Parking-Recording-Android-Control/dp/B09YCZ7PYW?th=1

I just finished installing this and tucking all the cables under the trim in my car not five minutes ago. I've had it hooked up and running flawlessly for the last week after the Viofo I ordered was a total piece of poo poo and got sent back. Once I was happy knowing that the 70MAI wasn't going to suck rear end straight out of the box as it sat with cables dangling everywhere since last weekend, I figured I wouldn't be returning it. So far I am neither overwhelmed nor underwhelmed. It's cool to have a rear camera, and it sees through dark tint really well, but a dashcam is a dashcam is a dashcam so long as it works consistently and reliably. License plate readability is pretty terrible so far, even in decent lighting conditions, but I did install this custom firmware a few hours ago to see if it doesn't help at all. I won't be able to report on that for a day or two though, and I guess I'll have to read any plates out loud for the mic to pick up as per standard practice for the last 7 years with these things.

Also, it's probably worth it to mention that if you or your sister have never installed something like this, you might want to budget to have someone do the work of running all of the wires through the fuse box and up through the trim for you, because I know what I'm doing and it was still a major pain in the rear end on a 16 year old Pontiac. It'll probably be an hour shop time at any reasonable garage, plus fuse taps or even the parking surveillance cable that I see is sold separately and won't let me engage that mode without it. :argh: I can imagine someone with little to no DIY skill receiving this kit as a present and being happy about receiving a dashcam, then either seeing what's involved in setting it up and just deciding to not even try it, or trying to get by with cables dangling all over the place only to in-relatively-short-order get frustrated with how messy it is and decide to get rid of it. But that probably goes for most dual dashcam systems and wouldn't necessarily be attributable to this one alone.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 2, 2023