Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

It's 'illegal' if the ticket quota isn't met that month.

This thread, the "These are the people you share a road with" and all of Russia persuaded me to order a dashcam lastnight. I ended up going with the Eprance mini 0801 because the form factor is very subtle compared to the G1W and I can probably get away without people noticing it. It'll be interesting to use it as a timelapse capture camera for long trips, along with its daily duty of witnessing the strange and obnoxious things your average LA driver likes to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't expect that.

That was like a perfect worst-case scenario.

Reminds me of "Meet Joe Black" as played by cars.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

ltr posted:

Thinking of picking up a Mini 0801 since it's supposed to be alright and is much smaller so I can stuff it up where it's not noticeable. Even with the sticky tape mounting(which I kinda don't want to do), it may be a better option for me. But the visor mount for the G1W I already have would be preferable.

I recently got a mini 0801 and it's great. Mine is slightly blurry on the left side probably because of a lovely lens but I don't care. I'd also advise getting the non-gps version because the GPS version imprints your speed into the video at all times and it is horribly inaccurate (and incriminating). The sound is poo poo but I'm sure they all are.

It's super discreet and very easy to disconnect and remove from the car when you want to. It comes with or without 8gb built-in, both versions have a slot for microSD card.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Bovril Delight posted:

This is only true if you use the built in viewer. The .mov files can be played in any player with no GPS coordinates.

Ah, somehow I missed the option called "stamp" which does this. I found out also if you insert something into the "driver number" it wont display the GPS speed if you do still like displaying the coords. Thanks!

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

joe944 posted:

Hope to have some good footage soon.

Now you have a dashcam you will experience nothing but the most polite and safety minded drivers you've ever had the pleasure of sharing a road with. And it'll piss you off.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

You might have to put this one to 720p to see the turning lane lights change:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqJNEWPMdbQ

This guy was distracted and missed his light, but instead of stopping and waiting for the next turn signal he decided to gun it across all the turning lanes and the double yellows while the red light had been red for at least 2 seconds before he even entered the intersection without indicating or anything. Good driving!

This intersection is one of the worst in the state/country (Venice and Lincoln in LA). On weekends it is routinely blocked in most directions because of cars being jammed up right in the middle of it.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Here's a dashcam video where nothing goes wrong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nZ1VzJnxxQ

What country is this? Not only does nothing go wrong, but everyone reverses into the spots with their compact efficient cars and seemingly follow a perfect guideline of parking to the passenger side line.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone tried disassembling their dashcam and integrating the insides into their car? I'm considering doing something like that for my miata, as I wouldn't want to either leave it visible somewhere nor putting/removing it every single time I go somewhere.

Not quite, but I had to disassemble the car plug/step down converter the camera came with in order to wire my dashcam into a 12v source from the fuse box. I have the doors off the Jeep now and didn't want cables and other shiny things to attract the magpies.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Bovril Delight posted:

A couple that I picked up recently, nothing too crazy. I love me some horn apparently.

Yield signs? What yield signs?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKGKYFqd_zw

Dodge no signal lane change, bonus MB doing their best Autobahn impression on the toll. I was probably doing around 85mph so I'd put him at over a ton. He proceeded to ride some Mini's rear end and then was gone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9RD4uhBjk

First one I don't understand how that yield is supposed to work. Is he supposed to judge vehicles oncoming speed in the periphery of his mirrors verging on blindspot merging into his lane and then yield accordingly with very little time? You saw this coming way before they did, and you're the one honking? I don't get it. This is definitely a time where you should have adjusted your speed to avoid this, but you didn't.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Chinatown posted:

The second video is a simple blind-spot error that I see all the time and isn't really negligent driving either. Dude decided to lane change right when he got into the blind spot. Just bad timing. I'm always careful when I lane change into another cars blind spots for this reason.

Agreed but Other Guy didn't use indicators (cant hear them on the camera from the op either though lol), so its a crapshoot. Definitely agree that you should be careful when merging into someone's blindspot, you learn this within 10 minutes of driving. Two drivers mindlessly drifting into one another situation, if it had happened.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Someone merged into me incredibly slowly just now. No damage at all except the tire ring of shame my Jeep's 37" tires left on their Prius. mini 0801 night quality isnt that great, dirty window doesn't help either.

Very avoidable accident on my end I know, I saw them get close but from where I sit, I can't tell when their wheels go over the line. I should've not been in their blind spot etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJKq9Fvq5eo

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Yeah it's definitely a lesson (and some elbow grease) to remind them to check their mirrors/shoulder every time they merge. If they couldn't see a 6'6" bright white vehicle 2 feet away from them then I pitty the motorcyclist they're going to hit in the future.
The tires are pretty loud but we were slowing down for the lights ahead and with their windows closed I doubt they could hear them. They were an elder couple and were sorry about it. And of course it had to be a Prius.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Chinatown posted:

Lincoln just south of Washington. Sup.

Thats exactly why you got your camera.

:keke::respek::keke:

The video even starts as I'm passing by Chequered Flag, the most AI place on Lincoln. I just learned they have an inside streetview of that place, hell yeah!

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

My Mini 0802 has started getting pink stripes and weird video glitches when the sun is bright. I live in California so this is a problem. So I ordered a Mini 0806 from China and it came tonight! I'll install tomorrow and post some footage. I've been really happy with my 0802 and I think the 0806 is improved in almost every way, so I can't wait to see the quality I get from it.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

mini 0806 install report: I still hate wiring.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Laserface posted:

dont they use the same mounts across all the Mini 080x models? I would have thought you could just use the 0802 GPS mount.

The 0806 is notably different in design from previous models, however I went through the whole wiring thing and then realized at the very end I didn't even check to see if it would drop into the original mount lol so I still don't know. My previous wiring job was a complete hack (dismantling the cigar-lighter plug assembly wired to an inline fuse to plug into the fusebox) and the 0806 came with a proper wiring harness so it was worth cleaning up the mess of circuitry I had in the fusebox. The double sided 3M adhesive pad was an absolute burden to take off, too.

I will probably re-use the 0802 either as a rear facing cam or put it in the GFs car so I'd need the old mount for it anyway since it contains the gps module for that camera.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

"Whatabout that thing goes off now?"

Everyone in the world dies I guess? If it's so dangerous why are you lecturing him in the ~danger zone~ and not just telling him to get the gently caress out of the road asap you stupid condescending gently caress.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

Are you supposed to/allowed to change lanes in the middle of a roundabout?

Yes otherwise people on the inside lane would be trapped going in circles for eternity.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I went from an 0802 to an 0806 because the 0802 started dying (purple streaks in the video). I actually like these cameras because they have a great form factor. The 0806 is a bit hard to find and has some lens focus issues but the 0805 is probably a good safe bet with lots of supplies/deals.

Spatule posted:

The 0801 is terrible from a construction point of view. The base that houses the gps has a crappy mini usb connector and the link to the camera itself won't survive more than 20 couplings.
Not sure if this was fixed on the later models.

This hasn't been a problem with either of mine. You never disconnect the usb because the mount is semi-permanently mounted to your windscreen so no need to unplug it. The camera mount to the base has improved with later models for sure. It's not going to last a lifetime but no other camera will either.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

He must go through two pairs of shoes a day doing that (and also never change gear or use the rear brake). His walky legs at the end did go well with the jaunty tune though.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaBbGteDkoo

I started slowing down before the intersection (and horn) but apparently not enough since my wheels started losing a bit of traction and I came kinda close to this imbecile entering the lane at a walking pace. I should've slowed down sooner and much harder. Honk honk!

Also I'm not pleased with the mini 0805 quality so I'm looking at changing cams (again), I'm eyeing the 2ch front/rear BlackVue DR650GW, if anyone has any experience with it or better alternatives?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Laserface posted:

My 0803 gets good plates even at night. Although it seems that it has degraded a bit since I got it. Is that a thing?

Not sure, maybe the lens is slowly being vibrated out of focus somehow.

My 0802 was always clear but it eventually started dying (pink streaks whenever something as bright as a headlight was seen), so I replaced it with an 0806 which has been nothing but poo poo+piss. Blurry focus out of the box and recently it has started dying, basically failing to record after a while and rebooting once a second every time I turn the car on until I turn it off and on several times with the power button, so don't ever get an 0806.

My blackvue dr650gw-2ch just arrived today and I'll install it tomorrow once I get another fuse tap from o'reillys tomorrow. It looks swanky as gently caress and I can't wait to loving shoot my mini0806 to bits with a machine gun. It will need some black tape over the "Full HD!" text written all over it though, why would you do that to a dashcam, it's supposed to be hidden and obscure, not advertising its presence.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Happened to me the other week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd2wgsSOU_g

I'm a foot below and 2ft left of the camera position, so I didn't see this idiot cab until I'd cleared that last car in the queue.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Mostly been using the dashcam to timelapse driving videos though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX4sRlUjM5E

This is cool, really soothing with smooth roads. I've been meaning to do more of these too. Here's one I did a few years back in the largest jeep convoy I've ever been in (too big). Part of the Mojave Trail from morning to night in heavily compressed, jarring 720p. It doesn't work as well as smooth roads and it's sped up too much probably: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEV7gLSkrmE
e: alternate title: "Air filter Guantanamo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Seems pretty stable for me, given the terrain; you run a GPS track during that? I'm a sucker for off-road GPS tracks.

I used to use a compact camcorder on a weird suction cup/1/4" thread screw mount that was pretty shaky. I post this partly as example, partly because it's probably the raddest city entrance in the country
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0ScB9EpnBA

Nah unfortunately I never got the GPS logging to work properly on that cam (I think it was an 0802). Now that you've mentioned it though, I should start keeping the offroad GPS tracks in future.

Suction cap mounts always fail me - jeezeless things.