Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'm not sure how big the 12V-5V adaptors typically are, but you might be able to power them much more conveniently by tapping into the map lights or similar. I do my radar detector that way, luckily it runs directly off 12V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

sarcastx posted:

*The suction cup is practically useless in extreme cold (0F and below inside the car) if you are applying it to the window from being put away - but if it's already on the window, it won't come off.

Is there any better way to attach things to glass? Some kind of semi-permanent adhesive?
I have similar problems with my radar detector in periods of extreme heat.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Ror posted:

Also, is there a preferred method of running a wire down the A-pillar? I can force most of it into the crevasse but it doesn't want to stay in there perfectly by friction alone.

Blu-Tack or local equivalent.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

They may "work" in theory but it would be a one in a million shot for the footage to actually show anything incriminating.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Over here it was a fad for a while to cover the entire front grille (and numberplate) of the car with shadecloth, attaching it underneath the car to the trim then slamming the bonnet down on the end. No pics because google image search won't find anything with those terms. Ostensibly this is a cool country folk thing to do to stop bugs splattering on the front for whatever reason...

This went on for a while and actually become quite widespread as people saw more and more other people doing it with apparently no repercussions so copied the idea. I guess they cracked down on it though as now it's completely gone except for a dedicated few who still use this method, just with a hole in the cloth cut to uncover the number plate.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

evobatman posted:

I just bought this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131208541342?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Look forward to boring videos of bicyclists going to and from work too slow on narrow roads with a perfectly empty bicycle path next to them.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Dashcam footage is still novel enough to make the nightly news in my city.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

It's a bit dumb that all the dashcams use USB power rather than 12V like every single radar detector, GPS, and other accessory power device.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

They're reneging on the deal!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

CJing your dashcam is the exact opposite of a bulletproof install-and-forget camera that the OP wants.
I'm not sure one exists at this point.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Takes No Damage posted:

HAHA yeah....... The idea is that if you don't have a TollTag then it's "no big deal" as they will just mail you your toll fine with a little bit extra for admin fees. In your case they would have sent that back to the car rental place, which then had to turn around and track your info down and forward it on to you, the bureaucracy of which as you say took months, with late fees and admin fines piling up all the way. Maybe could have called NTAA and plead your case, but that's a pain in the rear end either way you go.

Also, if you get a toll for a rental car they will enroll you into some kind of "toll convenience program" where you pay $X per day up to some large maximum value, plus you have to pay the value of the tolls and the admin fees etc. etc.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Enabling location gets you nothing (I doubt the location of the crash or whatever is going to be in dispute) and lets you infer speed.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Cartoon posted:

More of the Aussie dashcam channel. You should all subscribe so I can stop posting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUoEWB0GgAw

What the heck happened in the segment starting 6:25?
Someone had their car nicked and recovered the footage?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

1m33 and 7m23 are both great.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Dumb question: Why do most of the manufacturers seem to want to run through the OBD port if you want the camera to run while the car is off but not kill the battery? Does the OBD port turn itself off at some voltage cutoff or in some other way obviate the need for a voltage monitor built into the (cable / cam)?

I have no idea how they actually do it but if you accept 12V in your own hardware then you can monitor the line voltage and shut down the dashcam when it gets too low.
If you take in 5V then you have no idea how the battery is actually doing.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Tex Avery posted:

Looks like a hearty number of crashes that could have been avoided had the driver with the camera hit the brakes for just a few seconds. Does Australia not have the "rearmost vehicle at fault" rule that seems to be prevalent in the US? The fellow who just let another driver merge into him confused the hell out of me.

Depends if it's a real merge or a "change lanes" merge that the powers that be have recently decided is betterer.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Advent Horizon posted:

GPS in a dashcam - ‘great idea’, ‘necessary’, or ‘meh’?

I can't think of a positive aspect of recording GPS unless it's to prove that you weren't speeding.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Platystemon posted:

The timestamp is always accurate.

Sure, but party A hits/damages party B, right?
It doesn't really matter what the time was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

If you can steer it, clear it!