Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Wow this thread has good timing.

I got into an accident where I had a protected left green arrow and hit a guy who decided to completely blow through the oncoming red signal. He claimed I ran a red arrow (along with everyone following behind me apparently. :downs:)

Luckily my insurance found me to be not at fault but I am getting a dashcam so I won't have to deal with that bullshit ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Hopefully. If a sober person did that then god help us all.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
That's just classic LA.

Every time I am driving around LA I make sure to take an extra second after the green, and never speed into an intersection just after its turned green.

I HAVE SOMEWHERE IMPORTANT TO BE. GET OUT OF THA WAY BRO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R99riaOdqo4

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Thats some real pretty country right there.

Traffic look like my commute. (if I did it at 3am)

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I let truckers in and blow their mind that some blacked out BMW is flashing their high beams and letting them merge in.

Good driving karma too.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Not mine. From a local news story in San Diego.
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/may/12/road-rage-truck-car-san-diego-interstate-8/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-iOeLGSNvQ

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Question:

What program do you guys use for creating youtube videos? Never done it before.

I have a ton of raw footage of my car from last weeks roadtrip to Vegas and will be taking tons more this weekend.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

ickna posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAublHsUne8

I bought myself a dash cam to record bad drivers and to be able to laugh at them later, but the real joke is how boring my own life is when seen from this perspective.

schreibs posted:

Wow this is extraordinarily lovely.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Kazy posted:

First day out with my dash camera. Always count on city driving to go against the 'everyone will behave once you get a new dashcam!' lore :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzDOKfeJpyw

A couple are in there to pad things out, but this is all within the space of an hour or two.

You would not like driving in Los Angeles.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Is that the 15 west of Vegas?

I have passed a few morons doing the "rolling roadblock" going 70mph before that way. Flat, straight, and clear visibility obviously.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

CharlesM posted:

Internet lawyers: do I have the right to leave the audio recording during a traffic stop?

Don't say poo poo. If they ask if its recording say no. That's it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
That sucks. But you got it on cam!

Also that damage is pretty minor and looks easily repairable?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Pros cut across gas stations to avoid waiting to turn right on a red.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Then eventually get a ticket because it's illegal almost everywhere!

Yeah, ive done it countless times and :lol: if you get rolled for doing it. I am sure its low (to nonexistant) on the police's priorities.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Christobevii3 posted:

Slow da gently caress down

Speed up and just blast pass everyone. Safest option IMO.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

tuna posted:

First one I don't understand how that yield is supposed to work. Is he supposed to judge vehicles oncoming speed in the periphery of his mirrors verging on blindspot merging into his lane and then yield accordingly with very little time? You saw this coming way before they did, and you're the one honking? I don't get it. This is definitely a time where you should have adjusted your speed to avoid this, but you didn't.

Its a lovely Yield sign that makes no sense IMO as simple merging rules would suffice at that intersection. I think he was assuming he would stop but he didnt. Still, that had about a 0% chance of collision so I don't get the horn and all.

If I honked at every person that came that close to me in SoCal I would literally have the horn on constantly.

The second video is a simple blind-spot error that I see all the time and isn't really negligent driving either. Dude decided to lane change right when he got into the blind spot. Just bad timing. I'm always careful when I lane change into another cars blind spots for this reason.

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Sep 21, 2014

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

tuna posted:

Agreed but Other Guy didn't use indicators (cant hear them on the camera from the op either though lol), so its a crapshoot. Definitely agree that you should be careful when merging into someone's blindspot, you learn this within 10 minutes of driving. Two drivers mindlessly drifting into one another situation, if it had happened.

True. Also, why side indicators aren't required in the US is beyond me.

I'm pretty sure I have avoided a few of these situations (especially at night) because my car has a nice bright LED indicator right behind the front wheel.

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Sep 21, 2014

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

ijustam posted:

More wrong way/u-turn goodness. This time the opposite direction but same intersection :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hJg4z6u9bY

Sick moves.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

iForge posted:

So this happened yesterday.

She was in the opposite left turn lane, and drove into oncoming traffic almost hitting 3+ people. Have a pic:

Ok now this is impressive.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I agree with the "call the police" sentiment. Then I remember that cops are loving USELESS SHITHEADS and then I'm like "meh as long as you're not involved gently caress it"

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Haha I thought it was the girl at first.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
:rip:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
He should probably slow down but yeah in a super crowded urban environment the interaction between pedestrians and cars is a bit more complex, IMO.

Lots of people in NYC just don't give a poo poo and walk wherever they want.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Citizen Tayne posted:

Which is their right, and it's your responsibility as a driver to let them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaywalking

Yielding to J-walkers is mandatory yes.

Honking at them and telling them to gently caress off is optional.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
double

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
lmao this thread got cool

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
My dealership has a phoenix yellow and neon lime M4s sitting out on the display pads.

HHHNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
:stonk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP8nLbgGDFA&t=28s
:stonk:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

tuna posted:

Someone merged into me incredibly slowly just now. No damage at all except the tire ring of shame my Jeep's 37" tires left on their Prius. mini 0801 night quality isnt that great, dirty window doesn't help either.

Very avoidable accident on my end I know, I saw them get close but from where I sit, I can't tell when their wheels go over the line. I should've not been in their blind spot etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJKq9Fvq5eo

Lincoln just south of Washington. Sup.

Thats exactly why you got your camera.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Sick.

Driving in West LA is a goddamned battlefield.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

trouser chili posted:

Captured this one on my drive in this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB3JGo-GYPc

I gave the Mercury Milan driver a copy of the video, and the guy driving the Pontiac got the plates off the truck and came back.

The proper move here was to brake hard. That swerve doomed them from the very start.

They truck even moved back to the left after realizing he was encroaching into the cars space and there was never a time where there wasnt enough shoulder space to manuver.

I can't really fault anyone other than the car for the damage done.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Horse Divorce posted:

The truck was trying to pass on the right through the merge lane. gently caress him.

That's not a merge lane though. Not at fault regardless.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Pretty sure that most people with some semblance of a self preservation instinct would prefer trading paint with a guardrail if they saw a vehicle roughly twice the size of theirs bearing down upon them. Sucks that the insurance company might give you guff about it afterwards but in a situation like that I know that I would be far too busy getting the gently caress away from the giant goddamn truck that's about to drift into me than weighing my insurance options.

No one is denying the need for the car to make an evasive maneuver.

Jerking the wheel to the point where you lose control of your vehicle is extremely dumb and never a good idea.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Yeah it's a dumb move in hindsight, but put in the same situation I suspect that most people would be prone to overreacting in the same way the Milan driver was. The scare factor of unexpectedly seeing a vehicle on collision course with yours shouldn't be underestimated, even if it all that would result from it would be a fairly mild fender-bender.

Yup. Its completely understandable. I have been in that exact situation a couple times. One last week. I braked, slightly altered course to the right, and kept the car steady. I was going ~80mph at the time.

I understand the reaction to jerk the wheel, but sorry, you eat poo poo from it, that's COMPLETELY ON YOU.

You are COMPLETELY RESPONSIBLE for the control of your multi-thousand pound flying missile. Evasive maneuvers included.

Take a cab if you can't accept that very obvious fact.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I just had a dude try to literally sideswipe my car because he thought i "was trying to race him" from a stoplight. :wtc: I got his plate thankfully although there's really nothing to do.

Looks like I am done being on the fence on buying a dash cam.

Anyone have a good recommendation for something ~$200? I will be getting it wired at a local shop probably to hide all the wires and not have it use my cigarette lighter.

Thanks.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Trip Report. Been using this for the past month or so and its been flawless. If you are thinking about getting a better unit check this out.

http://www.amazon.com/KDLINKS%C2%AE-X1-Dashboard-Camcorder-G-Sensor/dp/B00N8BM0BU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Yeah my KDLINKS is chugging along quite nicely. I got a larger 32GB card to capture more. It holds about, eh, 8 hours of footage maybe with a 32? Plenty for normal commuting.

The included software is also suprisingly good and shows your location on google maps as you play a video back since its encoded with GPS data.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
the fact that no one got hit when driving on the wrong side of the road is the most amazing part of that video

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Heres my KDLINKS X1. Caught a traffic break this morning on the way to work. Piece of blown tire.

If you enlarge the video you will see him completely fail on the first throw attempt lmbo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmrnWNcI1Mw

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Traffic breaks are fairly common in SoCal because of the volume of traffic always leads to poo poo being strewn all over the road and people know hitting things loving SUCKKKSSSSS.

Semi-truck blowouts happen all the time and i blame all the lovely garbage 18-wheelers that come across from Mexico for it.

the worst is coming up on a ladder in the middle of a lane/lanes :stonk::stonk::stonk::stonk: