Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They fall asleep?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Smart

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Any current recommendations for dash cams with the best video quality? I had a recent accident with an idiot who just pulled out in front of me turning left from a side street then tried to claim it was somehow my fault. No witnesses stopped and while the police fortunately sided with me I'd rather not leave something like that up to chance again.

Viofo A119 V3 or Street Guardian SGGCX2PRO. Both are reliable, at least within warranty. I don't know of any dash cams that last forever yet.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
When I was a kid my dad brought home these VHS tapes called the Smith System and I think they should be mandatory.
Edit : although usually (there are 50 states + more territories etc) it is legal to turn into any left lane if it's a single left turn lane.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 8, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrOnBicycle posted:

I too have the A129 pro duo and it seems to be working fine. I'll be honest though, nothing has happened since I got it over 6 months ago, so haven't had a reason to check. The only bad thing is that the front plate that you can connect and power it to doesn't seem to like the power input, so I ran the micro-USB straight to the front facing cam. Apparently a common problem, but doesn't really matter more than it's an extra step if you want to remove the front camera. Oh and I've had maybe 3-4 "corrupotions" of the SD card that it bleeps about when starting it. Can sometimes be solved by restarting and formatting in the cam, but once I had to remove the SD card.
I've got a plug-in hybrid, so I don't have to worry about the battery going flat as the car pulls from the big battery to the 12V battery if need be. The kit I bought from VIOFO in Europe had all the fuse cables etc needed. The USB cable to the rear cam was more than enough to feed cleanly to the rear hatch.
I drive a KIA Optima PHEV Sportswagon.

I don't know about the power req. I run mine of the steering wheel heater which is a 10A fuse, and I forget which constant I chose, but probably 10A as well. Turning the steering wheel heat on does not mess with the camera or blow any fuses.

Does your DC-DC converter engage when the car is off?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrOnBicycle posted:

No idea. If it's the thing that the manual says enables the 12v battery to be topped up by the hybrid battery, I guess yes? Not familiar enough with what a DC-DC converter does etc to say much about it. :)

On a full EV at least it will not charge the 12V battery with the car off. It usually disconnects the high-voltage battery entirely (loud click). But a dashcam isn't a huge drain.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrOnBicycle posted:

I checked the owners manual. The KIA Optima has a "AUX Battery Saver+" mode for the Plug-in hybrids that monitor the charge level of the "extra" 12V battery and will recharge it using the high voltage battery. If it happens too often though it will throw an error message with the motivation that something must be wrong if it needs charging too many times (more than 10 times in a row, and it charges for 20minutes at a time). I haven't had it whine at me. Only when I sit in the car shut off but with infotainment on for long periods of time.

Nice!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I like the sunrise.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It was a bad post.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 4, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh, I didn't know all that, I thought it was just making fun of the buggy AI / dialogue in Oblivion. I'll delete it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I definitely have flinched on a green arrow before, but never have gone through, continued to go through, and ignored oncoming traffic 🤔🙃

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Composite video quality is not going to be great.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Did you make contact? Geez Louise. Glad you have a dashcam

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Tex Avery posted:

The clip at 17:45 has what I've been waiting for: someone getting hit by a tram. I hit several cars back when I used to operate trams, and I really wish that I had dashcam footage for them. Hell, a newer portion of the route I used to run is unofficially "mine" because I got the first vehicle strike: a valet driver returning a brand new Chevy Sonic. His drivers license had expired about 15 years ago, to boot! :toot:

There is a lot of dashcam footage from Europe of cars turning left in front of trams and other stupid poo poo. Unfortunately pedestrians too

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
A lawyer has advised us it's a bad idea. Garmin's early entries to the dashcam were quite bad but looks like the Mini 2 fixed the overheating issue. I usually check dashcamtalk forums.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Was that a rear end while turning left?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The mirrors thing is true. But I don't think there's currently a solution out there I'd trust my life to. I believe the Bolt also has a mechanical backup

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'd probably ask at Dashcamtalk forums, I'm not sure I've seen anybody bring up a turn key solution for the extended side mirrors I mean, so probably DIY, which I would probably just carry the clip on mirrors (inside the vehicle) just in case.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Microsd holders aren't that robust

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
but....but..... they just drove into the side of them

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Don't change your username 🤞

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't think our AI resident lawyer posts in here anymore :(

For me I would not take $600

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mobby_6kl posted:

I wouldn't settle for less than $800, personally.

I didn't really mean I would not take $x, just I wouldn't be willing to be paid off vs my health, but if they start offering higher amounts they are desperate and you know it's a better idea to say no :P

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Dashcamtalk forums are usually where I recommend to look for recommendations, haven't checked it out lately to make sure it's still good, but generally people there are into keeping up with current products.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
No hesitation there, he saved their life for sure. Good job

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I had mine go blurry too, have never used a sunshield. They don't seem to be interested in repair after warranty is over so 😒

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I had the blurry lens thing on a Street Guardian and I didn't park it in the sun or anything