Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
How did you Mobius guys attach yours to the car? Mine came with a black sleeve thing and some velcro but I'm a little concerned about vibrations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

spog posted:

Rubber sucker on the windscreen. No issues with vibrations.

When I finally get round to mounting it permanently, I'll probably get the mount with 3M tape.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

oxbrain posted:

I use something like this. It was like five bucks on eBay.

This is what I ended up getting. Got it all wired up today, mounted the camera behind the rear view mirror, went to plus the power cable in and the goddamn mirror is blocking it! I had to use my interior panel pry tools to pry the glued mount from the glass then I used the velcro the camera came with to attach the mount to the glass. I'm happy and done though, except I just need to figure out a way to keep the wires in place along the side and the headliner!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Krakkles posted:

Tuck them behind the headliner and side trim. The pry tool you mentioned is perfect for this, and it's easier than it looks.

Ok, I'll try harder. It felt like I couldn't jam them in any further but I'll give it a shot using the tools.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
crisis averted

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jul 30, 2015

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

spog posted:

And I am crazy, or did someone just post that their dashcam had been stolen by a neighbour, then deleted the post?

Not crazy. My wife called while driving home from work after midnight saying her dashcam was stolen but nothing else was taken (it's a beater civic but it has an ez-pass and a nice stereo). In the morning I went out and found that the glue on the mount failed and it fell and ended up completely out of sight. She parks her car at a public pay lot in NYC and there's a guy there that's hosed with the car in the past so we both immediately thought he swiped it.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

spog posted:

I felt really bad for you, so glad it wasn't stolen.

Reminds me of one of my first videos where I didn't set the 'power off' setting correctly:

30 mins of driving, 30 mins of a car park wall, 60mins close-up of the floor of my car, 3 mins of me looking confused.

I was livid since it has only been in the car for a week! Now I'm torn between keeping it on velcro (need to make it so it won't fall off in the heat again) or make it semi-permanent. My wife wants to be able to take it out of the car when she parks at work and at home, but I can see it being forgotten on the day we actually need to rely on the footage.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Knock out one of the foglights and install it behind the lens in a waterproof enclosure.

Interesting idea but I don't care to spend the money to replace the already broken fog enclosures, or really do anything to make the car look nicer. I ordered the suction mount so hopefully that fixes the problem.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

bobfather posted:

One day, six months ago I stalled out my car. When I restarted it, I looked up and noticed my Mobius wasn’t on. I unplugged it and plugged it back in (it has a supercap) and it has worked ever since <---------------------------- true story of my only problem ever with a Mobius in 18 months of ownership.

I wonder why that had any affect on it. I just bought my second mobius for our other car, this one has the new C lens.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

bobfather posted:

I have my Mobius wired into ignition power, not ACC. I’m betting the quick off then on again just confused it.

Interesting, I got the new mobius for our golf tdi and I turn it on first to warm the glow plugs before starting it, which disable all accessory power while cranking. I wonder if I'm going to run into that issue.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

`Nemesis posted:

Oklahoma is a shithole

Agreed! I'm stuck in okc for a few months for work and I can't wait to get the hell our of this poo poo city. I've had so many close calls recorded on my dashcam...

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I hate this loving place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcNm8PD7W1g

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Nothing too spectacular, just a Maserati launching from a light. Thankfully I had my windows open a little but it sounded awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHCAfVV30yE

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Anybody have any experience with submitting a dashcam video to police to use as evidence in a hit and run? My wife says she was sideswiped today on the highway and caught it all on camera but I won't be able to pull the video from the camera until tomorrow morning.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

The Locator posted:

If your wife was in a hit & run, did she call the police and get a report? If so, she should have some contact information and be able to find out from the police what to do with it. If not, then she might be SOL. You need to immediately call the PD and wait on the scene for a report in a hit & run, even if it's just so your insurance doesn't decide it's your fault.

She didn't call the police because in NYC they won't file a report if nobody was injured, there's a state form to fill out instead.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Gothmog1065 posted:

Who has experience with these?

Basically what is happening is the cam will start over and over for about 10 minutes then work fine for the rest of the drive, but it does it pretty much every time the car comes on. Is this a faulty adapter or me doing a lovely wiring job?

Basically is there anything I can check before sending it back?

Holy poo poo you too? I've gone through 4 of these loving things and I've been convinced that my cameras (Mobius) are poo poo. I'm ordering this to try now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

kastein posted:

What's the current recommendation for dashcams? I'm on A118-Cs of the finest 2015-2017 vintage still and they have now hosed me multiple times by either just going out to lunch and not recording, corrupting the SD cards, and/or straight up dying. Looking for something a little more reliable, but not looking to spend a zillion dollars.

So far it hasn't cost me anything except memories, none of the stuff they have failed to catch was needed as evidence it was just supposed to be part of timelapses of trips and nonsense like that. But it sure isn't making me trust these things at all.

If it's been posted recently, I'm perfectly fine with a thread page number/url/whatever reference, I'm just like two thousand pages behind on this megathread and definitely not digging that far myself.

I have the Viofo A119 V3 in all of our cars and have been very happy with them.

e: I also had a problem with corrupted files with previous cameras so I also got the endurance SD cards that are "optimized for dashcams" whatever that means.

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 25, 2024