Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sigma X posted:

31 bike cops, out for a parade ride?

There was a big bicycle race across two counties the following day and I guess they'd drafted in a bunch of bikes from various regions to cover the route. Would explain the variations in livery (plus, I've never even seen a single one here, so they must be from other forces). Probably running the route as practise.

Dick Trauma posted:

I thought this was going to turn into one of those deranged Cyriak videos.

No word of a lie: there was a brief moment that I felt like I was stuck in an infinite loop gif.

Wish I had the skills to loop the video myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

^^^ :arghfist:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I'd like to buy my brother a dash cam as a gift. That Lukas LK-7900 looks great, but it's around $500 in Canada. Is there a generally recommended cam that would cost in the ballpark of $100-200?

http://www.amazon.ca/Mobius-Action-Camera-1080P-Sports/dp/B00DP1WYD2

Mobius is 95 of your Canadian Dollars

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Diplomat posted:

For you guys that have the mobius, do you run it off batteries or wire it directly to the car? Are they any good guides for doing the latter?

You shouldn't run it off batteries: one of the key benefits of a dashcam is auto starting when you turn on the ignition.

I just take the easy option and run it off the cigarette lighter.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Wickerman posted:

That's an interesting decal on your hood.

I like the Roadrunner 'meep meep'

spog
Aug 7, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

How did you Mobius guys attach yours to the car? Mine came with a black sleeve thing and some velcro but I'm a little concerned about vibrations.

Rubber sucker on the windscreen. No issues with vibrations.

When I finally get round to mounting it permanently, I'll probably get the mount with 3M tape.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Vorkosigan posted:

Well, I finally have something to post in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uArmOZS5E1k

Everyone was looking at the postal van that hit something.

That took me a while to twig that the second half of that video was from your Tailend Charlie

(I like the sound of your engine)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

OK, I'm down to the G1W vs the Mobius. I'm not terribly concerned about size.

Regular G1W is $42 on Amazon. Is the battery model that bad in the heat? The capacitor model is $63. I'm moving to Southern California and driving there from NJ, down south to New Orleans and then across through Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona.

Mobius is going to be $90-$100 with the capacitor. Is it twice as good as the G1W? I know its half the size.

Reading through this thread: lots of people report problems with the G1W breaking. Nobody has had an issue with the Mobius.

And I am crazy, or did someone just post that their dashcam had been stolen by a neighbour, then deleted the post?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Scruff McGruff posted:

The G1W is ok if you want a camera on the cheap but expect to have to replace them after a year or so, I've gone through 2 so far (though my current one has been chugging along for about 2 years with no issues). Definitely make sure to get one with a capacitor instead of a battery, the batteries have been known to explode if your car gets too hot, even in the northern US.

The Mobius definitely seems to be the way to go if you ware willing to spend just a few more bucks, I don't think anyone in here that has one has complained about it.

There's also the Mini series (0801, 0803, 0805, 0806) which seem to be alright but IMO aren't any better than the Mobius and seem to have more firmware issues.

The general advice is if you are looking to get into dashcams for as little as possible then get the G1W (Make sure you get it from BlueSkySea, EPRANCE, or BlackBox), if you're willing to spend just a bit more, get a Mobius with capacitor and possibly a "C" lens (wide angle). If you have no problem spending a lot more money theres a decent list of excellent cameras.
  • A118
  • K1S
  • X1
  • Panorama S

Pivit posted:

Today when I went out to leave for work I found my G1W shell popped open and the very bloated battery hanging down by two wires. Glad it didn't catch fire.

Time to order a mobius.

Spatule posted:

I think what happens is everyone recommends a crappy camera like the G1W and people buy them then are disappointed, then the same happens again with another model like the mini 0801 which is full of problems too, so when yet another recommended camera comes out that's cheap and crappy looking like the Mobius, people say gently caress it and buy something so expensive "it must be good."

bobfather posted:

Man this thread is crazy. I guess $240 dash cams are what happens when nobody edits the first post to just say, gently caress the G1W and anything else. Just spend $70 on a Mobius.

Scruff McGruff posted:

My second G1W is acting weird so I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and commit to the K1S.

veedubfreak posted:

I bought my G1W in Feb 14, it worked for about 6 months, then took a dump. Nice waste of 70 bucks. I'm going to do the same and just get a K1S, especially since I'm about to spend a stupid amount of money on a new car.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

Not crazy. My wife called while driving home from work after midnight saying her dashcam was stolen but nothing else was taken (it's a beater civic but it has an ez-pass and a nice stereo). In the morning I went out and found that the glue on the mount failed and it fell and ended up completely out of sight. She parks her car at a public pay lot in NYC and there's a guy there that's hosed with the car in the past so we both immediately thought he swiped it.

I felt really bad for you, so glad it wasn't stolen.

Reminds me of one of my first videos where I didn't set the 'power off' setting correctly:

30 mins of driving, 30 mins of a car park wall, 60mins close-up of the floor of my car, 3 mins of me looking confused.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

smax posted:

Mobius. EOT.

The only time I ever touch mine is if I want to copy some video off it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

No-one posted this yet?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33980186

(can't embed)

Reason no 1 for buying a dashcam if you own an Aston Martin.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Deanut Pancer posted:

My dad is looking for a dashcam for his car (in the UK). Could anyone recommend any of the brands/models sold here as worth looking at (or avoiding)?
http://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams-parking-sensors/dash-cams
Alternatively if you know of any other retailers that sell good models (ideally with a fitting service) I'd be interested in your suggestions for those too. Thanks!

Buy a mobius from ebay and fit it yourself.

Save the money for your inheritance.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Where'd you get the SD card from? I've seen a lot of really good-looking counterfeits on eBay.

When I got my Mobius, I ordered the card at the same time. Figured that even though it's not a premium brand, it should be guaranteed to work as they'll make sure it does.

I buy all my cards/flashdrives from Amazon. Prices tend to be the same as ebay (if not cheaper) and if they come direct from Sandisk, they'll be legit. I assume that any I find on ebay are going to be hooky.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

xzzy posted:

On the upside, SanDisk provides a 5 year warranty on their SD cards and their customer support is good in the sense they won't hassle you about the problem. You call 'em up, get your RMA, then wait for the new one to be mailed.

SanDisk is the de-facto standard for DSLR's these days, obviously a dash cam has to deal with more temperature swings so maybe that's where the issues come from but they do make a good product.

Nah, that's not it. As DethMarine21 said, there was a quirk with Mobius that it didn't always work perfectly with some of the named brands.

That's why I bought my SD card from them: I figured that if they did all their testing on 'Wong Fu Plop' branded cards, I should get one of those.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's been resolved with one of the many firmware updates since it first came out.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

nm posted:

The gps speed thing is just giving peoplr ammo if you are doing 36 in a 35 (or if, as is likely it is innaccurate).
If you are grossly speeding, that can be shown through a long process and ditto for clearly not grossly speeding. The GPS speed thing seems like a bad idea.

I've been saying that for a long time, but that's based on a layman's (low) view of the lawyers who work insurance.

I'm curious if you have any real-world examples of this happening, or something similar that illustrates that it is something that they would try?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

nm posted:

In a lawsuit, there would be some issues actually introducing it as evidence. In dealing with adjusters and what not, it could make it more difficult.
Note thatcthere are states where 1 mph can mean a lot. In Minnesota, if you are speeding, you lose all ROW at intersections.

Thanks for the expert opinion.

Not mine, but I enjoyed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZAAlXXGtMI

spog
Aug 7, 2004

nm posted:

That evo looks exceptionally lucky. Did he really hit nothing?

He slide over a traffic island which is one kerb-high.

So, I guess that depending on his luck, he may have missed everything, or ripped off his exhaust, or smashed an suspension arm or, hopefully, mashed up his frame.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

drat. I was hoping this was something minor I could fix, but if it's endemic to the car, I may have more trouble.

Maybe I'll ask in the DIY wiring thread about how to clean up the power coming from that circuit.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lnHKJgzLVdP/learn/learningcenter/car/noise_suppressors_installation_guide.html

spog
Aug 7, 2004

LloydDobler posted:

This video is going around my Volvo circles right now, some guys in an S60R get lucky and spot a friend's stolen S60 and chase it down to a happy ending.

After all that excellent commentary and driving, it;s really disappointing that they missed the money shot

blk posted:

My Mobius isn't powering on - pushing the power button with or without a card in or with or without the camera plugged in yields the same flash pattern:

Have you tried updated/reloading the firmware?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

8ender posted:

When I helped them out of the car their phone was on the ground in the passenger footwell but I have no idea if that means they were texting or if it just flew out of where it was sitting.

If they weren't texting then they must have been driving with their eyes closed.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

PenisMonkey posted:

That's why you say the plate number out loud so the audio picks it up.

I tried that, but it turns out that 'gently caress you, you blind twat!' wasn't a valid plate.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

YF19pilot posted:

In light of recent events involving my friend and an errant scooter, I'm going to buy a camera for my car. However, I'm not sure if I can source a Mobius here. Does anyone know or have any experience with the Mio MiVue?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161577541220

quote:

Item location:
Hong Kong, Hong Kong

Posts to:
Bolivia, Colombia, Paraguay, French Guiana, Suriname, Chile, Ecuador, Argentina, Venezuela, Uruguay, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), Guyana, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Cambodia, Thailand, Brunei Darussalam, Philippines, Macau, India, Armenia, Mongolia, Nepal, Tajikistan, Korea, South, Japan, Azerbaijan Republic, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Maldives, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Lebanon, Kuwait, Jordan, Turkey, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Oman, Grenada, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Antigua and Barbuda, Anguilla, British Virgin Islands, Panama, Guatemala, Bahamas, Honduras, Saint Lucia, Dominica, Belize, Turks and Caicos Islands, Barbados, Netherlands Antilles, Nicaragua, Haiti, Aruba, Virgin Islands (U.S.), Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica, Montserrat, Guadeloupe, Puerto Rico, Vanuatu, Cook Islands, Nauru, Tonga, Guam, Tuvalu, Niue, Kiribati, Solomon Islands, Western Samoa, New Caledonia, French Polynesia, Palau, Australia, Marshall Islands, Wallis and Futuna, Micronesia, New Zealand, American Samoa, North America, Italy, Czech Republic, Macedonia, Malta, Spain, Norway, Romania, Iceland, Cyprus, San Marino, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Svalbard and Jan Mayen, Andorra, Netherlands, Guernsey, Gibraltar, Austria, Croatia, Republic of, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, Belarus, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Albania, Portugal, Jersey, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, France, Germany, Slovenia, Monaco, Poland, Vatican City State, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Bulgaria, Slovakia, Moldova, United Kingdom

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Meydey posted:

So I made it all of 2 months before my Cobra 840 got swiped from my car. At least they did not rip out the power cord that was hardwired in and damage the car. Only other thing taken was a pair of crappy sunglasses and an old ac converter.
One thing I did not like about it was that it was a pain to remove from the mount. Is there a decent cam with a quick release mount so I can just pop it off and put it in my pocket when I leave the car? I switch between two cars to drive to work so would like something I could move between both easily. I would just hardwire both cars and plug it into whichever I was driving that day.

Mobius has a nice quick release clamp.

You still have to unplug the power cable, but then the unit slides right out and into your pocket.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I've used Freemake video converter and it does all you'd want for basic 'look at this dumbass video editing'

Except text overlays. That would be nice

spog
Aug 7, 2004

The Locator posted:

Installing Freemake, even if you make absolutely sure to un-check all the bullshit stuff it wants to install (it tries multiple times during the install), also installs malware (well not technically malware, but it is as far as I'm concerned) pop-up advertisement (ads by Wajam) bullshit into your browser and enters it into your registry. Malwarebytes found 87 loving entries from this bullshit.

Because you are giving the installer permission to run on your system as part of the install, it won't be caught on the install side, only by a scan afterwards.

Apologies for that: when I installed it a couple of months ago, it didn't leave anything nasty that Malwarebytes didn't like (apart from the program itself).

I did have to go through a lot of the 'do you not not not want to not not not install this addon?' bullshit, though.

Maybe the installer has gotten worse?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

The Locator posted:

If I wasn't clear, I wasn't pissed off at you spog, I meant this more as a warning to anyone else.

But yea, either the installer is worse, or this ad 'feature' is part of the software itself. I haven't run it again since then to test it.

What I really don't get about this is - when your program installer does this, why would you think I might actually spend money to go to the 'pro' version of your software? gently caress you if you think I'm supporting a company that does bullshit like this.

Nah, it's all good bro. It's good that you warned people about this.

It's a shame that they load nice little programs with shite like this.

If I could ever get Windows Movie Maker to actually work some time; I'd use that in a flash.

Fake edit: Yup - me too. There's no way I'd pay for a full version of anything that does poo poo like that.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Soarer posted:

After using my mobius for a few days I am seeing that at night it is not great at capturing plates and tail lights cause a ton of glare in the cam. Has anyone had luck fiddling with the settings to get it to behave better at night?

At night, bright lights have halos around them, but not large enough to obscure the plates.

Have you tried cleaning the windscreen glass and the camera lens?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Another reason to get a dashcam: see how a mechanic treats your car when they are working on it:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3404946/Subaru-owner-s-anger-garage-staff-pothole-video.html?ito=video_player_click

quote:

'Got that one': Dashcam footage appears to show garage staff deliberately aiming for the potholes as they take customer's Subaru for test-drive down country lane

And a follow-up to another news story from the UK

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3406089/White-van-man-deliberately-STOPPED-middle-lane-M60-road-rage-row-banned-driving.html

quote:

Shocking moment white van man suddenly swerves in front of a driver and STOPS in the middle of the M60 during road rage row

Anthony Cairns from Salford, admitted dangerous driving on the M60
The 43-year-old has been given an interim ban while he awaits sentencing
He was caught on camera deliberately stopping in the middle lane of road
Was also seen repeatedly cutting in ahead of other drivers and shouting abuse

spog
Aug 7, 2004

surebet posted:

Since I loaned out my cam a few months back and it's looking like it's not coming back, time to get a new one. Last time I was looking the G1W was king, now it seems like the Mobius is the current recommended cam? For what it's worth, a fair chunk of my driving is done at night.

Has anyone tried to add solar charging to their cam setup?

Mobius if you want one that will work.

Never felt the need for solar charging, what with the giant lead acid battery and alternator already attached to the dashcam.

On a related note, I just realised that the last firmware update to the Mobius didn't keep my user-settings and so it hasn't been auto-starting for the past 2 months.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

The mobius has a little red led on the back that flashes when you turn it on, then stays on when you record.

I've gotten used to checking that it powers on (due to loose USB socket), but not to keep watching it to ensure the recording it has started, since I have set it to auto-record ever since I bought it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

The Locator posted:

I got my father a Mobius, but I can't get it to auto-record on power on. Everything seems to work fine, except that it's just ignoring the setup file for how to operate for two things - the recording indicator, and the power on recording. It just goes into stand-by, and pushing the shutter button starts recording, but the recording indicator doesn't work (it is the same with the setting in the file for it as 0 or 1).

It shouldn't matter, since I've use both the setup program and manually edited the config file, but he's on an older Mac, not a PC.

Any ideas?

Actually, Scruff McGruff's advice may work for this problem too.

Also, try it with a different power supply. Some users found that their cigarette socket was putting out funky power when first turned on and it confuses the camera.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Handen posted:

I got some pretty cool footage the other night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyA9iHna4o8

You're a bad man who ruined someone's romantic evening.

But it made mine.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Genuine 3M tape can be some serious poo poo. They do some adhesives that are second only to spot welds.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Godholio posted:

^I know it's a shear test, but that's still insane.

If this were a permanent installation that's definitely the way I'd have gone at least to start. But this is going to be removed twice a day, five days a week at least.

Magnetic tape?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Gothmog1065 posted:

So looking through this thread, is the Street Guardian the non GoPro better recommendation with the Spy Tec MG380G as the ~$100 recommendation? Looking to get a dash cam, but not the cheapest on the market?

I'd say that the Mobius is consistently the most recommended one

Howver the DDPai M6+ looks amazing for <$150

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OPrYBWCAYc

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I'd be over the moon to get a response time like that.

Last time I had an accident, I stood, bend double, on the roadside, flagging down passing cars and none of the buggers stopped for me.

gently caress moms on the school run.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Biscuit Joiner posted:

This one is my video. Came across this person on my way home today. Nothing too exciting, just a moron backing up an on ramp. I probably stayed on the horn a little to long but this kind of thing really pisses me off.

I think it wouldn't be excessive if continued to sound your horn whilst you followed him home, entered his house, went up the staircase and continued honking whilst he tried to go to sleep

spog
Aug 7, 2004

The Midniter posted:

So what's the most reliable, lowest cost dashcam out there these days? I looked at the last few pages but it's all just videos of idiots on the road.

I like my Mobius and they are good value for money and reliable.

Cheaper than that and quality becomes an issue.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Platystemon posted:

What’s the purpose of the supercapacitor or battery in a dashcam? Flushing the buffer? Continuing to record in a severe accident where the 12 V supply fails? Recording people loving with the car while it’s parked? Just running the clock so your timestamps are reliable?

At the very least, you need the system to have enough power for a graceful shutdown once the car power is cut (i.e. to finish writing the files to the card)

You can then have teh option for fancy stuff: such as continuing to record for a few mins after the engien is off (handy if you have a crash and the power gets cut: it might be nice to record your fisticuffs with the other driver)

Some have the option of coming back to life if they get a vibration shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Someone did not like my side-facing cameras. Smashed a rock through the window and literally ripped the camera out (pulling the metal sheath of the USB plug itself away from the pins as well).

Nothing else stolen.

That sucks.

Now you need another camera to point at the replacement camera.