Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
My Mobius will kill a GPS signal if you place it within 4" of a satnav

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Scruff McGruff posted:

I've seen quite a lot that use the same mount bracket the G1W uses, but there's definitely not an agreed upon standard as far as I can tell.

If it has a screwthread, then it's probably a standard tripod screw, so I suppose there is some commonality there

spog
Aug 7, 2004

chrisgt posted:

Yes, yes I do. Anyone know of a good all-in-one air horn setup that doesn't break the bank? :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mQcGLpc8to&t=26s

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Gothmog1065 posted:

Thanks for that. It seems it's either that or the G1W, are there any other alternative cameras that are good? Price isn't a huge factor at this point, going to be using the money from the wreck to buy the new dash cam.

Heat resistance is big (so capacitors), and I would like good video quality.

Should I look outside of those two?

Mobius

(I really should get sponsored by these guys)

Also, look here:
http://www.techmoan.com/what-is-the-best-dashcam/

spog
Aug 7, 2004

smax posted:

I've had good luck with Mobius cameras in the Texas heat (the slightly older ones, not the Mobius 2). One battery failed so I had to put a supercapacitor in, but that was a less than $10 fix.

One of the reasons I like my Mobius, apart from its reliability, is that you can can change all the settings by using easy-to-use software on your PC.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I THOUGHT WIFI CONNECTED TO AN AP AND UPLOADED VIDEO

WHY IS THAT NOT THE MAIN loving FEATURE

I suppose it is theoretically possible that if you had a wifi AP in your garage and you added an always-on feed to your camera, it would be possible to do this (32GB takes 1.5hrs over a good wifi connection)

You'd end up with terabytes of your commute filling up your home PC though.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Platystemon posted:

A good wifi connection is 6 Mbps? 🤔

Ditch your WRT54g and get something with 802.11ac.

https://techinternets.com/copy_calc?do - have a play with the numbers, but you aren't going to dump an entire card in a hurry.

Also, I am jealous if you have wifi in your garage.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

Huh, I have a ton of experience with streaming multimedia and product building.

Is a wifi enabled dashcam that can connect to a remote point in the car and save files there something people would really want?
I could literally make that product from start to finish and sell it in ~6 months.

*edit* I could even add RTSP if that's something people would find useful.

If you could make it so that if you press a button on the dashcam and it posts the last 30seconds straight to Facebook/Twitter along with an emoji, then i would probably invest in your company with my life savings.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Don't be. My house is small, so I can cover the entire drat thing with one AP stuck high up in the garage.

#FirstWorldProblems My wifi signal won't reach the servants quarters.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

The Viofo A119 I ordered from Zapals finally arrived, literally 29 days after I ordered it.

Part of me wants to place it on the dashboard of my Prius so I don't have to run a long rear end USB cable across the ceiling, down the A pillar, then across the dash. Are there any drawbacks to this layout?

Yes, the angle of view is not as good.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Platystemon posted:

In a world where maps don’t exist.

If poles are too mutable or hard to find on a map, use intersections.

If we all say that you are right, will your humour us and let us get the free advice from the actual lawyer with experience in this specific field?

On an entirely unrelated note: nm, will you share some of your many personal anecdotes about people who represented themselves in court, insisted that they knew more than the lawyer or the judge and turned a $15 parking ticket into 10 years on Riker's Island?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

nm posted:

I was representing him for allegedly stabbing a man with a fork. I think that case just kinda disappeared after the confession.

So technically, you won and can claim it as a victory.

Related note: I've discovered that in the UK, you can report someone to the police if you have a dashcam video of a traffic offence and they even have an online form to upload it.

https://www.cheshire.police.uk/advice-and-support/roads-and-vehicle-safety/submit-dashcam-footage/

The only silliness is that you have to keep the original memory card with the video on it and not overwrite it, but apart from that, it seems a very sensible idea.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah there's a process in place for securing the mentally ill who are dangerous to others, though.

Presidential elections?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

The Locator posted:

Why do a lot of semi's in Aus have those steel grid things over their windshields?

Have you been watching the dashcam videos?

Protection against bit of toyota.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

nm posted:

Probably depends on the person, but i talk so much poo poo it probably would get me in trouble.

I bought a dashcam to record my final moments, so I think I'd like it to record my last words, too.

Augustus Caesar, first Roman emperor:
"I found Rome of clay; I leave it to you of marble."

Leonardo da Vinci, inventor and painter:
"I have offended God and mankind because my work did not reach the quality it should have."

Ludwig van Beethoven, composer and pianist:
"Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est" (Applaud, friends, the comedy is finished)

Spog, moron and shitposter:
"Jesus, titty-loving Christ!"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Caught someone clipping a cyclist during the blue hour a couple of weeks ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ3YDYQTt-Q
Dude was okay, or at least ambulatory and coherent. The car just clipped his pedal.

Not to victim blame too much, but that guy was practically invisible.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's not like cycling clothing isn't famous for being lurid coloured and reflective anyway.

You may look like a Penis, but you're a very visible penis.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Cartoon posted:

Big motors and tiny brains. No worries!

While this is the main reason, isn't it also true that pickups are really light on the read axle with crappy weight distribution when they are empty? Since you have to design them to work when fully loaded.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I love this place: you enjoy the poop jokes and then you learn something that is both interesting and potentially lifesaving.

I knew that cameras mounted to helmet were considered A Bad Thing after the Schumacher accident:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/m...d-injuries.html

But at the time, the worry was that they were concentrating the impact.
It never crossed my mind that they could dig and and snap your head round.

That's scary as gently caress.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

About a year ago, feeling evangelical because of this thread, I convinced a coworker to install a dashcam on their car (and I helped set it up for them)

Last month, someone cut her up whilst texting and gave them the finger when the horn was used. All this was clearly caught on the dashcam.

Well, in our region, you can submit dashcam footage online and complain to the police. So they did.

Yesterday, they got a letter informing them that the driver had been prosecuted for using a mobile phone and fined £200 and given 6 penalty points (that's half their license gone)

Very satisfying.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Much as I like WMM, it always choked on the video from my dashcam.

I believe the recording format is incompatible with it, though it just crashes, rather than giving a helpful error message.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

bolind posted:

What broke, it seems reasonably benign...?

Love the gesturing. In almost all jurisdictions, turning left (or right, in Australia/UK etc.) is solidly at the top of the list of must-I-yield.

I am guessing that the wooden cart wheels that he appears to be running are very expensive to replace.

Possibly the coils have been replaced by rods made of diamond.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Chicken Doodle posted:

I'm hoping you guys can help as I'm looking for something particular in a dash cam. All the ones I could find recommended in this thread are attached by suction cups to the windshield, but my car is like teflon and nothing with suction cups sticks to it. My current camera has a kind of mount that is stuck with sticky backing to the windshield, and I can remove my camera from that dock when not in use. I'm looking for something similar.

Current camera for example: http://www.ojocam.com/

The quality isn't that great in the build of this camera which is why I'm looking for any alternatives. I appreciate any suggestions!

Any one that uses a screw-in tripod mount will happily work with a 'car windshield tape mount':

Like my mobius, for example

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

My Mobius dashcam is great except it can’t read license plates worth a drat. Are there any dash cams with good enough picture quality to pull plate numbers?

I had a situation where I needed to get the plate number off a dump truck and even right behind him I couldn’t read it clearly in full daylight.

Despite mine being older than this thread, it seems to pull UK plates off pretty darn good.

Maybe something is wrong with yours? Post a sample video.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Tex Avery posted:

Here's a crazy one from Flagstaff, AZ. My apologies for it not being embedded; I couldn't figure out how to do that with BBCode.
https://twitter.com/Arizona_DPS/status/1068592307031568384?s=20

quote:

The wrong-way driver’s two-year-old daughter was in the backseat of the vehicle and was not physically hurt.

loving hell.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Lord Stimperor posted:

Do you guys feel that your driving changed after getting a cam? If I see dash cam vids on YouTube, I often have the feeling that cam drivers are much more aggressive and even let accidents happen rather than, say, make room for someone who did something wrong

If anything, I am marginally calmer after witnessing something stupid or dangerous.

There is no reason to shake my fists in impotent rage...I've got it on camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Lord Stimperor posted:

Thanks for your input. I guess looking at Dashcams on YouTube just gives you a really biased sample, of people who're narcissistic enough to seek out dangerous situations for internet points.

I was wondering because I wanna get a cam myself but I don't wanna become one of those YouTube assholes who sees a hazard a mile away and then barges into it because they have on camera that they were in the right.

I'd say that the dashcam assholes you are seeing are simply the people who, without cameras, would be winding down their windows and hurling abuse at people 2-3 times per week.

If you get a cam, you get excited for the first 2-3 weeks and it rapidly dwindles once you realise how mundane your daily drive is.
I forget I have one most of the time.