Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

FogHelmut posted:

I'm going to be doing a cross country trip around the week of Labor Day. My route has me on the road for about 60 hours. I think it would be neat to do a time lapse, is this something a dash cam could handle?

Not sure if other dash cams do a much better job of compression on the raw recording, but my G1W can store just over 4 hours of video before it starts over-writing old footage - on a 32gb SD card. So yea, you'll need some way to download that to a much larger storage device on a pretty regular basis since 60 hours = 480gb of footage on my dash cam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

NoWake posted:

Almost rear-ended a guy on the way home today, even though I was doing >30mph and 5-6 car lengths back. My eyes were on him the whole time, but panicked for a split second when I noticed I was gaining on him very quickly. I didn't even notice he'd come to a stop.

His brake lights are full-on when I pull up to him, and they blink off at about :19. The next little while is stop and go as I watch his back end like a hawk. From the looks of his tail gate, I'm not the first person with whom he's almost caused a wreck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5iVwzeahA8

I thought of you today while following an old Mitsubishi Eclipse in stop and go traffic on I-10. At some point the Mitsu had been rear-ended, not much sheet metal damage, but both tail lights had been broken. The owner had fixed this in the only sensible way, with multiple layers of red duct tape. The brake lights were about as visible as you would imagine with this fantastic repair method in place. The left one was barely visible if you squinted, the right one I don't think was actually working at all. To top it off, the center brake light, which actually did work, was behind the worlds darkest window tint, because it was too hard to tint around I guess?

Too boring to bother pulling dash-cam footage, but it made me think of this thread and the 'no brake lights' video.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

It's perfectly legal here to make a right on red while the oncoming traffic has a green, as the only 'legal' way to make a left turn is into the left lane. I never actually do it though, because I don't trust the idiot making the left turn not to just plow into the side of my car in the right lane.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Yup, Arizona is pretty much the same.

quote:

28-751. Required position and method of turning
The driver of a vehicle intending to turn shall do so as follows:
1. Right turns. Both the approach for a right turn and a right turn shall be made as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.
2. Left turns. The driver of a vehicle intending to turn left shall approach the turn in the extreme left-hand lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the direction of travel of the vehicle. If practicable the driver shall make the left turn from the left of the center of the intersection and shall make the turn to the left lane immediately available for the driver's direction of traffic.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

That dude is clearly driving in the cow lane.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

OK, I'm down to the G1W vs the Mobius. I'm not terribly concerned about size.

Regular G1W is $42 on Amazon. Is the battery model that bad in the heat? The capacitor model is $63. I'm moving to Southern California and driving there from NJ, down south to New Orleans and then across through Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona.

Mobius is going to be $90-$100 with the capacitor. Is it twice as good as the G1W? I know its half the size.

I'm kind of afraid to post this, because I'm probably cursing myself, but I've had a battery G1W in Phoenix for over 2.5 years now and it works just fine. Full disclosure - car is parked in the garage at home, and 99% of the time under covered parking at work, so only really gets parked in full sunlight on shopping trips, autocrosses, etc.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

PT6A posted:

You have a serious traffic offence (hit and run) captured on video, along with concrete evidence that this person is not competent to hold a driver's license, and that's all that happens. But heaven loving forfend people go 115 km/h in a 100 km/h zone! That's serious business! $$income$$

Fixed that for you.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I'm not sure why the Highway Patrol doesn't just set up shop on the HOV (carpool) lane on I-10 every morning. They'd make friggen bank, I swear that every 3rd car is just some person driving along by themselves in that lane, and I understand the fines for doing that are pretty steep. It would have the double effect of big revenue, and making me giggle.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

Cause most of them have cameras. Out here in CO the HOV lanes either scan your tag or send you a bill in the mail from taking shots of your plate. Which leads to douches driving with no plates.

They don't have that going here in AZ, so people just freely use that lane because they are 'special', and the chances of getting pulled over and ticketed seem to be pretty slim. I won't do it anyway, because I'd of course immediately get pulled over and written up, because that's how my luck goes with traffic violations.

nm posted:

You get to ride bikes, have a gun, never get a ticket yourself, and get a pretty sweet pension.
I shoulda been a cop.

Yea, the whole 'immunity to tickets' thing really irritates me. I have a friend who is border patrol that regularly abuses the hell out of this, and he finds it amusing. I found it pretty funny when he was ranting on FB about the 'dick' CHP officer that wrote him a ticket for going 15 over, when in reality he was doing triple-digits on a 2-lane with a 55 limit.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

PenisMonkey posted:

Tell me how much of a jerk I am!

Nope... gently caress people who can't plan far enough ahead to figure out where a turn lane starts, they can go past the turn and come back. There is a reason the line on the street at that point is solid.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

PT6A posted:

I saw the video but I didn't know he'd been arrested.

loving good. Why would you do that to some random person's car, whether it's an Aston Martin or not?

Nine thousand of those English pound things in damage. Holy crap, that's serious Felony level criminal damage here. Guy loving deserves to go to jail for that poo poo though, glad they arrested his stupid rear end.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

PhoenixWing posted:

Driving near the local college is always entertaining. This guy is already half way over the white line when the video starts.

Probably should've predicted he'd pull in front of me at the end, but, I wasn't really expecting him to floor it off the line and catch up to me.

Is lane-splitting up to the front at the lights legal there?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Knobjockey posted:

Don't watch this one then. Fahn Cahn spotted in the wild.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsJJOOCiRto

That was the softest roll-over I think I've ever seen.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

8ender posted:

The provincial police have the video and the officer was super happy I had it.

Yea, I bet the truck driver is happy you had it too, with the way that guy (or gal) who hit him was driving, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they lied about what happened and tried to somehow blame it on the truck driver.

Stopping and giving that to the police was the right thing to do. Thank you.

Edit: Was that person honking at the truck driver, or did the impact make the horn get stuck on?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

That's awesome. I really should put in a rear-facing camera, I see a lot more stupid poo poo in my mirror than I do ahead of me.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

This video is private.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

:stare:

Holy crap I would totally need a new pair of pants after that.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

Totally unrelated, but what is the loudest aftermarket horn I can buy :getin:

Clearly, it's time for a trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fUtYEZwgXk

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

spog posted:

I've used Freemake video converter and it does all you'd want for basic 'look at this dumbass video editing'

Except text overlays. That would be nice

Installing Freemake, even if you make absolutely sure to un-check all the bullshit stuff it wants to install (it tries multiple times during the install), also installs malware (well not technically malware, but it is as far as I'm concerned) pop-up advertisement (ads by Wajam) bullshit into your browser and enters it into your registry. Malwarebytes found 87 loving entries from this bullshit.

Because you are giving the installer permission to run on your system as part of the install, it won't be caught on the install side, only by a scan afterwards.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

spog posted:

Apologies for that: when I installed it a couple of months ago, it didn't leave anything nasty that Malwarebytes didn't like (apart from the program itself).

I did have to go through a lot of the 'do you not not not want to not not not install this addon?' bullshit, though.

Maybe the installer has gotten worse?

If I wasn't clear, I wasn't pissed off at you spog, I meant this more as a warning to anyone else.

But yea, either the installer is worse, or this ad 'feature' is part of the software itself. I haven't run it again since then to test it.

What I really don't get about this is - when your program installer does this, why would you think I might actually spend money to go to the 'pro' version of your software? gently caress you if you think I'm supporting a company that does bullshit like this.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 22, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Did you download it from sourceforge? anything you download from there has adware forcibly injected.

Nope, downloaded from their own website.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

In my experience, any wreck at all that shows up on the cars history means you eat a 20-25% diminished value on a trade in, so sue the moron for full damages plus at least 25% of the current value of the car.

Edit: Yes, throw in lost wages if they force you to take time off work, worst case is the judge denies it.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 19, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Maybe he was inspired by this guy from 12 days earlier! (chopper view, not dash cam)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF2BaZmlYz0

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

oxbrain posted:

This video has me seriously considering ditching the mobius. No way could I have got that plate.

According to the comments in the video, that was just a normal 'black box G1W' dash cam.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

0rganDonor posted:

I almost decommissioned an older Blazer the other night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErmS7rS8KEQ

drat, that looked really really close. Lesson - if you realize at the last moment you are going to run into someone who is a moron and stops instead of merging, that's why there is an emergency lane to your right.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

Obviously the van turning into an oncoming green light is at fault, but I just don't get how, if you're looking forward, you can not see that coming. It was from a stop too so it's not like anybody was up to speed, the car to his left brakes in plenty of time. My best guess is that he wasn't really paying attention, saw the van out of his peripheral and subconsciously assumed it was oncoming traffic from the other direction, not noticing it was actually in front of him until it was too late.

I could see how the driver of the camera car could be held at fault, as by law you must not enter an intersection if it's not clear, and as you noted, this was from a red light and the van was easily observable coming into the intersection.

Local laws could obviously vary, and it could also be considered 50/50, or completely the left turners fault depending on how the cops/judge felt that day or decided to interpret things.

It was easily avoidable though, absolutely.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Nitrox posted:

It's more important who is at fault in the eyes of the insurance company, not judge/police. I'm PA, a forward moving vehicle is 100% to blame for striking another in the back. The logic behind it, is that you're supposed to be traveling at a safe stopping distance. No idea how they accommodate for situations where someone pulls out into the 65 mph traffic lane, while going 10.

This is why I now have a dash cam. In the case of someone pulling out in front of you, it's a his word (I was in that lane for a long time officer, I just slowed down for <insert animal/child here>) vs. your word unless you have some sort of proof that the other guy was an idiot, and the dash cam can provide this. To me, it's like buying insurance, except I only have to pay a fairly small amount, and only one time, rather than an ongoing expense.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

What kind of trailer is this? It looks like a tiny air-conditioned house, but I know AT&T can afford to use hotels.

Also, I need to put my camera behind my mirror instead of on the dash.

They do fiber splicing in those little trailers.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Cross post from the 'people you share a road with' thread.

This is from my commute this morning. A 2+ year old G1W attached with the included suction cup mount. Sort of shows how shaky the window mount is, and thanks to the wide angle lens it looks small and far away. Keep an eye on the white pickup in the lane to my left that is taking the exit to the flyover ramp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KusSsa_7N5w

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I'm guessing that the 'fault' here was pretty clear to the officer who responded, since I called DPS and gave them my name and number, and told them that I saw the accident and had it recorded on dash cam, and they never called me back.

I bet there are some clearly visible crossing marks on the gore point, because although it doesn't show up in the video, there was a rather large cloud of dust kicked up by that idiotic crossing maneuver. Oh, and that little blue car wasn't doing that from the HOV lane, he pulled that stunt from the lane I was in.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Nitrox posted:

Why in the world would police investigate a minor traffic offence recorded on your camera? Or was there an actual accident? I'm watching it on the phone and can't see every detail.

What PenisMonkey said. The impact was actually pretty significant, and I was pleasantly surprised that neither vehicle over-reacted to the impact and lost control. I fully expected the little car to bounce too far right and hit the barrier at the end of the gore point.

I gave my info to the DPS so that if there was any question of who was at fault (like the little car driver made up some story about what happened) the officer could make a simple phone call and get a witness account. Cost me nothing to do that so that the driver of the truck didn't get hosed. There was a car to my left when it happened or I would have gotten over and followed them to give my info, but I didn't feel inclined to cause a wreck trying to get over.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

:stare: Holy crap.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I got my father a Mobius, but I can't get it to auto-record on power on. Everything seems to work fine, except that it's just ignoring the setup file for how to operate for two things - the recording indicator, and the power on recording. It just goes into stand-by, and pushing the shutter button starts recording, but the recording indicator doesn't work (it is the same with the setting in the file for it as 0 or 1).

It shouldn't matter, since I've use both the setup program and manually edited the config file, but he's on an older Mac, not a PC.

Any ideas?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Shere posted:

I never get anything cool on dashcam but I did get this lady trying to turn left across a rumble median out of a parking lot getting upset that I wouldn't just go around her:

I wasn't in a hurry, I just honked at you because you're stupid.

Bonus clip guy was very clearly trying to get to the opposite corner sidewalk in the worst way possible.

It's hilarious that she got out of the car upset at you for her being there. That cyclist is apparently even dumber than that lady.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

I Will Not Turn
In which a pair of cars refuse to turn despite sitting in turn-only lanes. The second one went so far as to jump a curb and almost sideswipe a pickup all because turning left wasn't their ~*Favorite Thing*~

I like this video, as it proves that I am not the only one that maintains a colorful expletive filled commentary on the idiots around me as I'm driving around.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I'm going to assume that this was some sort of an attempt at insurance fraud by this car driver, but holy crap what a terrible idea.

This is actually sort of an ad for the dash cam company, but it's pretty amazing to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQR5RC-NiQk

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Given the drift wide at first, I'll say they just freaked the gently caress out and overcorrected when they started on the rumble strip.

Certainly possible, it just looked like he intentionally steered left and then quickly back right, rather than a 'drift' to the left.

Going to call him pretty lucky regardless of why it happened, as it looked like he got away with a fairly small amount of damage and didn't roll it going off the road.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Lime Tonics posted:

Insane truck crash and a lesson in poor highway construction.

No one died, http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...0919-story.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irE5z6X2pL0

So where was the poor highway construction involved in a semi driver not paying attention? Looks like a clear day and a nice smooth well-built highway in the video, and there is no mention in the article of any road conditions that might have contributed.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

Anybody have any experience with submitting a dashcam video to police to use as evidence in a hit and run? My wife says she was sideswiped today on the highway and caught it all on camera but I won't be able to pull the video from the camera until tomorrow morning.

Not for a hit & run, but I sent a dash-cam video to my local PD yesterday of a guy blowing past a school-bus that was loading kids with the lights on and stop-sign out. No idea if anything will be done with it.

If your wife was in a hit & run, did she call the police and get a report? If so, she should have some contact information and be able to find out from the police what to do with it. If not, then she might be SOL. You need to immediately call the PD and wait on the scene for a report in a hit & run, even if it's just so your insurance doesn't decide it's your fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Lime Tonics posted:

Speaking of hit and runs, watch the cops do nothing,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0oxDu-svSk

Guy got away too.

Holy poo poo.. Chicago is terrible. There is no such thing as 'jurisdiction' here in AZ. Every cop has full police powers anywhere in the state so that there is none of that bullshit.

two_beer_bishes posted:

She didn't call the police because in NYC they won't file a report if nobody was injured, there's a state form to fill out instead.

It is really strange to me that the police won't file reports on hit and runs. Here a hit and run is considered pretty serious and they'll actively go after people who do that. Just so strange.