Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
After seeing video after video of idiots in Russia, I decided I have seen enough dumb antics on U.S. roads to somewhat compete.

Based on a few threads in this forum and dashcamtalk.com’s reviews and forums, I picked up a G1W from China (there are various versions, look for the seller estore on eBay).

Despite a hilariously bad interface and directions, it was pretty easy to figure out – and bang for the buck wise it is the best there is at below $70 for HD, sound, auto-looping, etc.

It came with a HDMI converter cable and a cigarette lighter adapter that plugged into the unit’s mini (NOT MICRO) usb port, the cord is about 20 feet long.

I decided to hard-wire it into my Speed3, which involved buying a cheap China e-Bay converter box for 12-volt to usb power, tapping into the fusebox, and snaking a 15 foot (way too long) micro usb wire to the headliner from behind the driver’s side fuse panel, only to discover mini usb. One adapter later and I was set.

So far, the reviews on the G1W are spot on. It is decent for the price, although the sound isn’t terrific and the usb connector isn’t very tight. Previous generations had loose mounts but that appears to be fixed. In addition, I ordered a cheap $6 low profile mount so I can hide it better behind the mirror.

That being said, it is pretty automatic. Since I tapped into accessory power, the dashcam turns on and starts recording once it senses power. Very automated. In addition, the screen turns itself off after three minutes – which is super annoying at night – however, some electrical tape will take care of that.

With five minute loops pre-set, and a 16 gig micro-SD card, I am able to record roughly 2.5 hours of driving until it starts recording over old files again.

I don't have anything fantastic (yet) from the video, just boring holiday roads. But the quality is pretty decent. The latest firmware lets you put your 6-digit license plate number on the videos as well.

Some Sample G1W YouTube Quality Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJJZqhS_n0Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pR1ITYjKQc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.

VelociBacon posted:

Just to play devil's advocate - would your insurance company have the ability (legally) to force you to disclose video to them under any circumstances? Just thinking of situations where you happen to be speeding or something at the same time someone merges into your car and the insurance company trying to pin stuff on you after seeing the camera when you bring your vehicle in for inspection after making the claim.

Google seems to suggest I won't be getting a discount for a dash cam. I am going to ask regardless.

I am sure, however, their lawyers could force you to hand over the card, if it recorded and you saved it. Lot of variables there.

As for the GoPro, I did look at it but it sure big to sit on top of my windshield 24/7. And I want to at least attempt to leave something on there instead of take it off all the time.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
Here's a gem - idiot on bicycle ran the red light. Looked closer in the car but glad I had a camera - I am sure this would have come in handy if there was contact..

https://vimeo.com/84528964

(while the radio talks about all the pedestrians killed over the weekend).

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
Has anyone found a source to buy replacement G1W suction cup mounts? Mine finally gave in, won't stick anymore, and I can't seem to find a non-adhesive replacement.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
Near one year report with my G1W - it still works.

Other than that, there is no battery/power left in it, so it has to run on the car's power (which it was) - however, that makes the basically useless shock sensor even more useless for parking lots.

Otherwise the stock mount failed in summer heat, so I bought a variety of low-profile mounts from China off eBay and modified them to work with the G1W, which many consisted of slimming down the attachment part on the windshield mount.

The next - way down the road project - is to add a rear mount on the 12v system. Lot of wire running for that.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
Has anyone put in a rear facing camera (out the back window), would be curious to see the setup in photos.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I might do this with my G1W if/when I replace it with something else up front. My WJ already has a lighter in the hatch area so it shouldn't be too painful to do.

That is basically what I am toying with, minus the lighter and adding the run wires through the car bullshit.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
:siren: 17 Month Report :siren:

I was hit in a parking lot while stopped (I was in car and it was running) two weeks ago. This was one of those accidents were there was no way it was my fault, some guy just backed into me without looking, straight into the side of my car.

However, the G1W didn't cover even me screaming bad words. Seems sometime recently it has started to malfunction. It will record but not well. It has something to do with the internal battery being toast. It was/is set on 5 minute loops, so if I turn the car off in the middle of one, it won't save (like it used to) as the power is cut and the camera has no power to close the file out.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
Some dashcam highlights from recently. The video definitely slows things down a bit it seems.

Taurus driving on wrong side on narrow road (blind corner): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQTNw8r7m-A

Parking in Queens - so many big speed bumps and tight and reserved spots (and also, I can't decide): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM7ecA9rK8Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
Here is my latest - put my car in a Manhattan parking garage. Pretty boring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMCzTC-W2mY

What are people using to edit? Windows Movie Maker is driving me crazy with the black box it wants to put around the video.