Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have a dash cam although I want one that does motion detecting and has better night vision/LED lighting.

The most difficult thing is finding something that isnt going to obscure my god drat view. If its going to be a permanent fixture in my car, I want it to be able to be hidden behind my rearview mirror.

I have a similar one to this: http://dx.com/p/lson-x6-2-0-tft-3-0mp-cmos-wide-angle-car-rear-view-mirror-dvr-w-tf-av-out-mini-usb-black-196380#.Uu8ZvPmSyKJ which is pretty good for hiding, but the night vision LEDS seem to work at a range of about 3 inches, and quality-wise the footage isnt really useful for ID'ing a plate unless its almost hitting the car anyway.

So what I am after:
rear camera
motion sensing
good night vis for motion sensing
compact size/no horrible suction mounts

Its a shame my gopro is so expensive and a theft target, otherwise I would use that - the image quality is simply amazing by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I had some crazy woman stop in the middle of the road, roll back into the front of my car, then ENGAGE REVERSE and continue trying to move backwards, all the while I sat there honking my horn and flashing my lights (which i started doing before she started rolling backwards)

She got out of the car and said 'you shouldnt honk at people like that, its incredibly aggressive'. Swore up and down that she didnt hit my car (despite my license plate being clearly embossed in the dirt on her rear bumper, and my brand new plate bent to poo poo, and multiple cracks in my freshly resprayed front bumper after years of abuse)

So now I have a dashcam.

2 days after I installed my camera, the exact same thing nearly happened in a driveway for a fast food place.

Low car problems I guess?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I had an idea the other day, perhaps someone with experience with the things could tell me if it would work.

the biggest let down of these cameras is the often poor battery life which rules out leaving them on in the car unattended while its parked.

Could you plug it in to one of those USB based power banks, which is in turn plugged into the 12V accessory port in the car?

That way, the power bank is charging when the car is on, but is providing power to keep the camera running when the car is off. depending on the size you'd presumably get a few good hours of coverage?

I guess it depends on the power bank - it needs to be able to be charged while supplying power. Does anyone have one and can comment on that?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yes, I know you can do that, but I dont have that available in my car and dont really want to risk being unable to start the car.

The reason I got one was for both - my car has been hit and run in the past, and also as a tool in case of an accident.

Id like to be able to run the camera and GPS/phone charger as well as the camera sometimes too, and this would facilitate that.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Are the blackvue cameras that much better than anything else to justify the price?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

given that all the cameras seem to not clearly display licence plates beyond a few feet in front of the car, yeah, move it onto the windshield for maximum clarity.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I caught a minor fender bender on video :woop:

I didnt bother to save it because it wasnt me and it was a rear end impact so there was really no reason to put myself out by supplying video for something as cut and dry.

I also found that my suspension is firm enough that even on the least sensitive setting my G-sensor still triggers. Or maybe the lovely russian-english means high is low? who knows.

I also compared my footage to you guys and your cameras and holy poo poo is mine bad. can barely read number plates further than a few feet away from the car in day light. it almost makes a good case to use an old gopro or cough up for a blackvue.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Axim posted:

Stupidest item is the usb mini charge port is on the right of the device and the included cable has an L-shaped connector, and it faces you, not the windshield, so obviously when they designed it, they thought people would be using it plugged in directly into the lighter below it, not pulling the cable through the car. It gets worse, the cable isn't proprietary, but its not a regular USB mini cable. If you plug in any normal USB mini cable, the camera prompts you upon startup if you want to go into mass storage mode. You need to press a button to say no, then it goes into regular recording mode. So running a 2 dollar cable from monoprice thats 15 feet long to connect to the camera will cause me to have to click that button each time I start the car. (It seems the camera IS recording while it gives me the prompt, the red light is on and after I dismiss the prompt, you can see the video has been recording already, but the prompt doesn't go away automatically, so if I want the screen to shut down and not disturb me, I need to press a button)

To get rid of this, Garmin offers their own 5 meter (apprx 15 foot) cable, for 25 dollars on their website.

I can't believe its this difficult to get a good problem free dashcam. I looked into the mobius as was suggested here, and I did not want to mess with its configuration and such. If only someone would make a custom firmware for the garmin that increases the bitrate to 12 or 15 like the G1W and removes the stupid mass storage prompt when using a non-garmin usb cable.

This is dumb bullshit. My Garmin GPS does the same thing, and it is especially annoying in my car which places the 12v socket on a 45 degree angle behind the shifter, FACING the front of the car. So all the massive 12V adapters for GPS/dash cams are protruding right into fore-arm territory.

I solved the problem by installing a twin 12V socket in the glove box. Cut the wires, spliced into the standard 12V harness and now I have a small light in there and can run my DVR/GPS without obstructing my arm from shifting easily.

There is guides online how to convert a standard USB cable to a USB power-only cable, but no one should have to do that - Garmin should just be not-dicks and make poo poo ignore the data signal unless its actually, you know, transmitting or receiving loving data.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I was going to post my awesome night-drive through the twisty roads nearby that features me swerving to avoid hitting a loving deer, but my camera has the worst low light sensor known to man, there is no sound when I import it to iMovie, and also features a buddy driving better than me.

So gently caress you guys, you can just imagine it while you watch icknas sun-shade removal videos.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Caught my first... interesting thing on my cam, not sure if it's interesting to post though. Some guy had his bike rack completely obscuring his license plate, no bike on it. I pulled up next to him and told him the cops might stop him for that. He's like, "oh, I know" and gives me a thumbs up and grin. Is he planning to rob a bank or something?

People did this with such frequency in Australia that my state now requires all bike racks to be fitted with a government issued duplicate number plate of the vehicle its fitted to.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cops in Australia (NSW) record the conversation anyway.

I didnt mention it the last time I got pulled over, because I didnt want them to have any evidence against me. I wanted to make sure the footage I had only got submitted if it helped my case.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Well my SD card just poo poo the bed, so I figure now is a better time than ever to upgrade to the 0803 since it seems to poo poo all over my current dashcam in every aspect.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

8ender posted:

If I was the mayor of this city and people were doing this after I paid some millions of dollars for bike lanes I think I'd lose my poo poo and start running them down to yell at them.

Its great. my office is on a street with one these lanes and due to the lane running down one side of the road, theres no parking there.

So now everyone crams into every spot on one side, making coming out of driveways during peak hour traffic pretty much a guessing game since you cant see past the cars that are parked right up against the edge of the driveway.

I havent seen a single bike in the bike lane since I started.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Mini 0803 arrived, quality is awesome. very happy. Only gripe I have is that it isnt easy to mount it to the windshield AND see what the lens sees - my video is at a slight angle now. Much closer to center now, but slightly angled.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

This is the most exciting thing to occur since installing my 0803.

http://youtu.be/Wlv_lmM5yMw

The USB jack also lifted off the PCB which required the cable to be held in at an angle, but I just cut down a piece of springy plastic and reassembled it which has given it plenty of contact now. I ordered a spare just in case.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Had to repair the gps/power bit of my 0803. The micro USB cable socket pins had lifted off the PCB. this was probably due to me yanking the unit off the windshield with the power connected.

Fixed by jamming some spongy double sided tape folded onto itself and a snippet of cable tie between the housing and the USB connector. Perfect contact now.

Ordered 2 spare gps units for $40 shipped just in case it fails.

This camera is really great. At night, it's capturing license plates at two or three times the distance that my old cam would struggle at capturing during the day. It's also less annoying on start up as it's splash screen/tone is quieter, less bright LEDs (though I still cover it with some translucent silver tape) and has better control over the G sensor, which is a blessing for my car with it's coilovers.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Wickerman posted:

So the mini 0803 is probably the best budget model these days?

very happy with mine, the only negative is that due to the form factor it can be difficult to place way up high on the windshield - I had to mount mine about 2 inches lower.

It actually might be a big deal for Left-Hand drive cars. the way my mirror angles means there is plenty of room for the camera on that side, though for a LHD car the mirror would be opposite, thus losing a lot of space.

Pic for reference

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

Do you guys do anything to .. .I guess... shade or protect your cameras from the sun?

Comparing footage taken when I got the camera like a year ago to today it looks somewhat degraded.

Its probably worthwhile, Im guessing my SD card died because of Australian sun.

Then again it could also have been due to the ridiculous amount of writes and re-writes these things experience.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The biggest problem with both dashcams I have had (some weird one and a mini 0803) is the loving software. its poo poo, cant be updated and the broken english just loving sucks to deal with.

a distant second is that even the lowest sensitivity G sensor still writes a bunch of locked files thanks to my fairly stiff (but not bone rattling) suspension.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Ok, so I just bought a shiny new car and I'm seriously considering getting a Mini 0803 dashcam for insurance purposes. One question though: that little digital display on the back of the camera, does that always stay on when the camera is plugged in or is there a way to turn it off while the cam is still recording? Apologies if this has been asked before.

Can be set to turn off after 1/3/5min of power on.

Most cameras have this function.

The more annoying factor is the LEDs to indicate recording (Which I just cover with masking tape and dot with a sharpie to dim them down). My old dashcam looked like a god drat police siren flashing red and blue off the back of the mirror.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Christobevii3 posted:

I'd use black nail polish. Other guy with the 0803 does yours lock up sometimes on startup? I have it maybe 1 in 15-20 times that it locks up with screen on solid blue led but not recording. Have to hard restart it then works fine after.

Maybe your newer firmware isn't doing this?

I have an 0803 and I have upgraded to one of the firmwares on that other site with no issues, except that I turned down the sharpness to 'soft' as they recommended due to standard over-sharpeniing but it seemed to make it way too soft so I went back to standard.

mine hasnt locked up on me yet, though the battery life is totally poo poo. I get maybe 2-5min before its dead from a full charge, even when not recording.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I use a 32GB Sandisk Ultra in mine with no issues.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Cartoon posted:

I bought a really cheap "Response' dashcam. The overall clarity (reading plate numers etc.) is way poorer than I had expected. How's it compare? Footage is the best, for wtf content, I've gotten in ~ a month.

http://youtu.be/6F4x8QRDtlY

This is my mini 0803. Considering this is after iMovie AND YouTube compression I'm pretty happy.

Raw video is easy to read plates day and night time at decent range. The gps speed and map overlay is good too should you need it.

It's a repost but I haven't had any reason to pull the card and upload something new.

http://youtu.be/U9M5d9KpahU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Not sure, I think I paid around $200 delivered.

If you forgo the gps its a bit cheaper as its a separate module

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the first one is an 0801, or maybe an 0803 (not likely as it doesnt have the same max resolution)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Christ, there is already the Mini 0806 coming out soon.

how old is the 0803? it seemed relatively new to the market when I got mine about 4 months ago.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Wickerman posted:

It's the 2014 model. They've released the mini 0805 and 0806 (2015 models) at about the same time. From my understanding, there are only minor differences in components and the biggest thing is that there is newer firmware with the 0805/0806. Not worth it to get to rid of your existing equipment unless it's giving you problems, imo.

Cool.

I predict after an Australian Summer that I will be in the market for a new camera anyway. Parking outside sucks.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Someone backed into my car in a parking lot on NYE. I have no idea how as the literal only way they should have been travelling after I parked behind them was forward - the spaces are 20-something rows side by side with spaces end to end - so the only way that car can leave their spaces was by driving out forward, not reverse. No note, of course.

Anyway I have the footage of me pulling up into the space behind them. then i went into the shops and my camera turned off. I came out and their car was gone, the space (and numerous other spaces around us) were empty - so there is little to no chance it was someone else parking there in the interim as there was plenty of spaces available closer to the entrance to the building.

This is probably the third or fourth time this has happened (low car + low front + world of lovely, gigantic SUVs and general terrible drivers) and I paid good money to have my front bumper professionally resprayed after the worst one, so Im pissed off.

Im guessing the best course of action is to file a police report and then call my insurance company with the registration of the other car?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

PaganGoatPants posted:

Worth a shot :shrug:

What happens if you're wrong?

The police could request the CCTV footage from the carpark to sort it out pretty quickly.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

oxbrain posted:

I've got the flu, I don't usually sound like a munchkin. :shobon:

http://youtu.be/SwDutFaJZ74

OK so if you hit that guy, whos at fault?

I always wonder about stuff like this. Yes, he was breaking the law there, but he was also right in front of you and very obvious, so you should be able to avoid it, right?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

For those that don't follow, the Mini 0803 has a nice firmware upgrade that adds the option to display GPS speed overlay in the video feed along with date and time, and Co-ordinates too I think.

You can also set the speed stamp to blank-out after a certain speed to protect your innocence should you decide to break the speed limit.

Also this looks like a great design - a mini DVR almost in that the cameras are remote, miniaturized and the control unit can be remotely mounted. The quality isnt quite up to par with the likes of the Mini 080x range but still pretty good if you definitely had to have a twin camera setup. pricey though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt7lhKSwWcI

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

DropShadow posted:

I love the Techmoan reviews when I have time to watch the whole thing. Otherwise, I wish he offered a TL;DR version.

skim the videos. I do and dont feel like i miss anything important.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

it was earlier in the thread, yeah.

its not as 'remote' as those cameras though. maybe about 10cm.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

spog posted:

Glad it's not just me.

I feel a bit guilty, but drat it, you don't need 20mins to review a single camera.

I dont. he puts all the important info in the description. read his thoughts, skip to the video samples and decide from there.

Hes a great reviewer (thank god he doesnt take 20 years 'unboxing' every single item and going to great detail about it) but it feels like im watching Thomas the Tank Engine.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Negromancer posted:

My google-fu is apparently weak today, mind sharing a link to where I would find that? Instal instructions would be awesome as I would rather not brick mine trying.

should have done that, Sorry! The latest firmware is the top one here

Be aware that it will change the language to Russian as default. take note of how to get to the language setting BEFORE you update the firmware (or spend 20min searching for 'english' in every setting.) All settings are also defaulted.

That page also has the software editor that allows you to upload custom boot logos and gently caress around with other settings.

Dashcamtalk.com has the instructions here

You do need to rename the file to firmware for it to detect the update.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

spog posted:

You're probably right: the Garmin has something funky going on with its power supply: a genuine Garmin cable will let you use it in a car, a generic USB cable will force it into charge-only mode: so they've probably got a short or something in there.

I am currently having a problem working out how to install my dashcam without horrible cables all over my shiny dash.

hide them in the roof liner like everyone else in the thread.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Chinatown posted:

I just had a dude try to literally sideswipe my car because he thought i "was trying to race him" from a stoplight. :wtc: I got his plate thankfully although there's really nothing to do.

Looks like I am done being on the fence on buying a dash cam.

Anyone have a good recommendation for something ~$200? I will be getting it wired at a local shop probably to hide all the wires and not have it use my cigarette lighter.

Thanks.

Depending if you want additional features, the Mini 0803, 0805 or 0806 are my suggestion. GPS is optional, and the image quality is the best I have seen this side of a GoPro.

Im running an 0803 and am very happy with it. the 0806 is supposedly just as good with some better cooling and slightly better image.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Negromancer posted:

I really like my mini 0803, but as soon as it gives me problems or I buy a second car, I am picking up one of those cameras. It is is exactly what I wanted when I got the 0803, but at the time there was not a good package out.

My 0803 had its first ever hang on boot (causing the boot chime to stutter until the battery died) and it was tempting, for sure.

though the firmware update added some nice features.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

fps_bill posted:

I've never given much thought to getting a dashcam before until my drive into work today. I live in pretty rural pennsylvania so I don't have to deal with the inner city driving bullshit but today I had the closest call I've ever had.

I'm in the right lane traveling east bound on a 4 lane non divided highway. Some rear end in a top hat heading west bound decided to pull a u turn, ok no problem, I'm in the right lane there's nobody in the left lane he'll hang out in the left lane alowing me to continue on my way while he gets back to highway speed. Wrong! He comes directly into my lane when I'm about right on top of him, I stand on the brakes and manage to get slowed down enough to not hit him.

I'm sure in his story I'm the rear end in a top hat because yea I was speeding a little bit(nice day, empty roads, fun car, etc..) but who the gently caress pulls across 3 lanes into the only lane with a car in it?

Much like how people never experience their vehicle above 3000rpm, most people never turn the wheel more than 10 degrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

tuna posted:

mini 0806 install report: I still hate wiring.

dont they use the same mounts across all the Mini 080x models? I would have thought you could just use the 0802 GPS mount.