Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

No, they would not. They cannot force you to give a statement, either, unless they compel an examination under oath - which requires a court reporter.

You can, however, volunteer it if you think that it helps your case.

(edit: US)

The typical contract has language requiring your cooperation, so yes, they can.

Anyways I bought a Mini 0801 http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/8/31/the-mini-0801-tiny-1080p-gps-car-camera-with-an-lcd-screen.html - should be here next week so I'll post a review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Well pleased with the quality on the Mini 0801. Seems well constructed enough, still need to figure out the GPS timezone thingy. Hope I have some good videos to post soon. :v:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That sucks. How swollen is that sucker?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Veeb0rg posted:

I bought a G1W back in November. I had it in the Jeep one night. When I pull the headliner to fix it I'm going to run the wire so its hidden and reinstall the camera but for now it sits in its box.

The guys over on DashCamTalk have had very good luck with transcend brand memory cards for these camera's.

Here's video of me driving to work at night. *I disable the sound on the camera, random youtube music added*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J_3PizQW7c

Nice automatic. :haw:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Looks like you accelerated quickly once he passed you. Could be a lot more defensive.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My MK6 Golf is switched.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That one is crazy. Downhill grade and what appears to be solid ice judging by everyone's complete failure to stop.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

No video since I'm at work but I passed a semi dragging what appeared to be a blowout, sparks flying everywhere off the steel belts. Amazing that he was truckin along at 80mph, have to imagine another truck would have told him over the CB.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ltr posted:

I've got a G1W and would love a visor mount, tried finding one online today with little success. Because of some little black bumps on my windshield near the rearview mirror, I can't mount it up near the mirror so it has to be more towards the passenger side and is really noticeable and ugly. It's far enough over that I can see about 1/2 the screen on the back while driving. I stopped using it for now because it's in such a bad position. If I could move it over 3 inches towards the center and a little up, it would be so much better. Here's a picture:

Thinking of picking up a Mini 0801 since it's supposed to be alright and is much smaller so I can stuff it up where it's not noticeable. Even with the sticky tape mounting(which I kinda don't want to do), it may be a better option for me. But the visor mount for the G1W I already have would be preferable.

The Mini 0801 is great and super small.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

tuna posted:

I recently got a mini 0801 and it's great. Mine is slightly blurry on the left side probably because of a lovely lens but I don't care. I'd also advise getting the non-gps version because the GPS version imprints your speed into the video at all times and it is horribly inaccurate (and incriminating). The sound is poo poo but I'm sure they all are.

It's super discreet and very easy to disconnect and remove from the car when you want to. It comes with or without 8gb built-in, both versions have a slot for microSD card.

This is only true if you use the built in viewer. The .mov files can be played in any player with no GPS coordinates.

Edit: Anyone want to buy a Mini 0801 w/ GPS? I've got 2 due to an ordering mixup, brand new.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My Mini 0801 is still trucking along with no problems. I think I have a Samsung card in there.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

This is great. I was tempted to install it behind the grille with a piece of plexiglass in front of the lens.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I still love my Mini 0801. It's worked fine the entire time I've had it, no issues with the memory card. Very small, I can hide it behind the rearview mirror very easily and it has built-in GPS as well. Quality seems on par with the other 1080p cams out there.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Coredump posted:

Is there a reason the Mobius camera isn't more of a consideration for dashcams?
http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/7/8/the-mobius-camera-the-do-it-all-mount-anywhere-1080p-micro-c.html

FWIW the author of that page uses the Mini 0801 in their own car.

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/8/31/the-mini-0801-tiny-1080p-gps-car-camera-with-an-lcd-screen.html

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mantle posted:

He uses a Möbius now with the lens extender. The post you linked is out if date.

Do you have a link?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I don't think there is any consensus on the best cam. The mobius, mini 0801 and others are all really similar.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Negromancer posted:

This. Doesn't matter how in the right you are, if you get a cop who is pissed off they will find a reason to arrest/make your day suck.

I just picked up a Mini 0803 and its pretty nice. I was able to tuck it right behind the rear view mirror in my JSW where you can't see it from either seat. Now I just need to order a long rear end usb cable so I can tuck the cable down the a pillar and out of sight.

Anyone know how long of a USB cable I would need? I think there are a couple other JSW drivers in here.

Did it come with the 12v adapter? Whatever that length is, I used all but about 6-8 inches in my Golf. If you're having trouble keeping the cord up under the headliner at the windshield, I put a hearty zip tie on it, cut off the excess and put that under the headliner. Since its thicker there the cord doesn't come down.

It's easier to run it on the outside of the A pillar instead of the inside, as well.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

A couple that I picked up recently, nothing too crazy. I love me some horn apparently.

Yield signs? What yield signs?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKGKYFqd_zw

Dodge no signal lane change, bonus MB doing their best Autobahn impression on the toll. I was probably doing around 85mph so I'd put him at over a ton. He proceeded to ride some Mini's rear end and then was gone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9RD4uhBjk

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Craptacular posted:

In the first video yeah if the other guy was a either a little faster or a little slower it would have been nice, but poor yielding like that from other drivers is literally an everyday occurrence.

In the second video, the SUV didn't signal, but also you were passing him on the right and changing lanes right into his blind spot. You should have seen that it was a possibility that he might change lanes. There was nobody in the rightmost lane in front of you, so why change lanes into a lane where he might go?

Right lane is an exit only just a bit up, if you don't get over immediately you're likely to get blocked out. I'm coming down off a flyover.

I wouldn't even call the first one poor yielding, the guy didn't have a clue they were there.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I dunno I think trying to avoid a collision with another vehicle is a pretty good reason to scrape a guard rail. It is their fault for not executing the move perfectly because they're not a pro at Gran Turismo 5 or something though I guess.

I can almost 100% guarantee it'll be an at fault ax for the car for a faulty evasive action from the insurance companies perspective.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N8mf9o4boM

Saw a guy lose it during the weekends rain. Starts about 2:15 in - you can see a the spray from the opposite side of the highway from all the standing water. I'm not sure what happened to this guy, going to wager there was a bit of standing water and poor tires involved.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Audio recording does get a little more complicated though. Look up if your state is one or two party consent for audio.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Great Beer posted:

loving imgur. http://i.imgur.com/VqYd37j.webm That one should work.

drat, did that taxi make it? Hard to tell if they go off the side in the end.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

surebet posted:

I would be legit curious to know if the taxi's insurance is going to cover the damage.

In the US if you had collision, yes. I suppose you could make a case for a falling object as well...

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Time for you guys to invest in the Mini 080x models. Year and a half on two of them with zero issues.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ran into this genius tonight. When I passed her later she was clutching the steering wheel like a chupmunk, face about an inch away from the top of the wheel trying to make a turn. I'm sure they heard the airhorn but decided to keep on trucking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43HliIZ-OYU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PaganGoatPants posted:

The ole "signal and turn instantly" maneuver.

Them signaling is actually unexpected, usually they just try to dive for the smallest gap with no signal.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Laserface posted:

OK so if you hit that guy, whos at fault?

I always wonder about stuff like this. Yes, he was breaking the law there, but he was also right in front of you and very obvious, so you should be able to avoid it, right?

Depends on your statement. If you're a moron and give the "they came out of nowhere!!!" then you're likely to have some negligence. If you're real dumb and say you saw them but took no evasive action because you had the right of way. (this has happened) you may wind up being majority at fault.

If you brake and attempt to avoid the accident but can't because they pulled out too close, not much you can do. Some carriers have hard ons for putting negligence on everyone for everything, and if you're in a contributory state you better have your own coverage to go through.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Locator posted:

It's really quite clear cut, unless you hand them dash cam footage of you being stupid and going "Yee-haw" as you accelerated into him, he turned left in front of oncoming traffic. He is fully at fault here in AZ. It wouldn't even be a question as he failed to yield to oncoming traffic. If it's illegal to make a u-turn there based on the laws where you are with that pavement marking, then that makes it even more clear cut.

Also, it's nice how after doing that he couldn't even figure out what lane he actually wanted to be in and ended up in the gore point.

Its illegal but failing to keep a lookout can net you some share of the liability anywhere in the country. Not the case here since he avoided the accident but industry wide the shared liability percentage is on the rise as insurance companies look to be more cost effective to offer better rates.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

spog posted:

About that....

actually, it's not a big deal to run it around the windscreen/A pillar, the problem is getting it from the base of the A pillar to the centre console, without having to open up the dash. I am half-wondering if I could take a feed from the courtesy light or autodim mirror and hide a 12v-5v converter up inside there. Can you tap straight into a light feed that, or will the CANBUS complain?

When I wired up miata I ran the cord down under the weatherstripping on the A pillar, then under the dash in the passenger footwell, into the outlet. Worked fine.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Craptacular posted:

You're not passing anyone, get out of the passing lane.

100% this. Yeah they're driving like poo poo heads but you have no business in the passing lane. Had it been open they'd have just gone by.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Looks like my dashcam's sound has crapped out, but video still working.

55mph access road, left two lanes are turn only (Uturn & regular left). Not unexpected for people to realize they're in the wrong lane coming off the highway and dart over, but this person had came from the far right lane originally, into a turn lane. When they came over I braked but figured they'd keep going straight vs. stopping at a green light. When I passed later they looked me and looked confused why I was honking at them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFYNIUgYDg0

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Horse Divorce posted:

Wouldn't have been a problem if you weren't hogging the left lane.

You see that car that comes by? I just passed them before the video starts. On the left. Not enough time to move over safely.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Laserface posted:

how do you even do that in an Evo? arent they basically 'point steering wheel, mash gas, win game' ?

Probably poo poo tires I'd wager.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

sharkytm posted:

Yeah, I've seen your sample videos. How clear are license plates in front? Both your videos have no cars in front of you.

Any pics of how you mounted it?

FWIW I've had a Mini 0801 for over 2 years mounted constantly in Texas. I was expecting the heat to kill it, but it keeps trucking. Every once in awhile (once a month maybe?) it doesn't turn on but it's easy to look at the LED and see the status. If you mount it behind the rear view you can't even see the screen.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Since you don't have any collision coverage your company has no legal way to pay and then subro, so yeah, you're on your own. If you win a small claims judgement against the other driver they'll pay up but never admit liability.

I could maybe see them applying some shared liability since you saw them creeping out and didn't stop (last clear chance, improper lookout), but 50% is way too much. What state are you in? This determines the negligence type the state uses.

I'd escalate past your adjuster to their sup, manager, etc. Squeaky wheel.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

He was taking a left out of a side street and I was on the main road, and he does come to a complete stop, which is when I figure "typical Masshole driver pulls out really far" and proceed past him. But I could see he had his head turned all the way to his left, like I was more or less in his blind spot the whole time because my car is so short.

I'm in Massachusetts. You're saying my insurance has no legal way to subrogate but I should still escalate the case and see if they'll help me out anyways? When I said "their own adjuster" I mean the other driver's insurance adjuster. They already take two weeks to respond to each communication from me (I have to poke them with "what's up" messages each week to get them to reply) and are generally all talking at me like I'm a shithead, when I've been polite with them the whole time.

I figured they'd just look at the vid, say "yeah we're at fault", and pay out a couple grand. If they want to do this the hard way I'll throw down; I don't suppose I can work in time off the job and all these bullshit inconveniences into the settlement?

MA is a modified comparative 50/50 state. What that means is both parties can collect if they are equal to or less at fault than the other party. In essence, by saying its 50/50 they can pursue you for half of their insureds damages, which is contingent on their insured having collision coverage. If their insured was 51% or more at fault (in their eyes) then they couldn't collect from you.

Your insurance won't make a payment to you since you don't have coverage, and since they haven't paid they have no way to legally recover the damages through subro. When I said escalate it up, that's through their company. If you aren't getting responses timely then look up your states department of insurance. Stuff starts moving much faster when they are potentially looking at fines or state actions taken.

I'd hold off on filing suit until you go through the department of insurance. They're less likely to play ball. If you do file small claims court know those type of fees aren't reimbursable. The court is looking at real damages caused to you and making you whole. Putting a bunch of stuff comes across as a money grab and makes you less credible.

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 19, 2016

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I would put a lot of negligence on the car pulling forward. It's clear as days what's happening and the car beside them is able to avoid the accident, which doesn't bode well for a defense that you did everything you could to avoid the accident.

Hell it looks like they never even braked and were trying to play chicken.

Edit: ok they braked, but there is almost a solid 3 seconds between the van turning before they brake.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CharlesM posted:

A goon in another thread got $3200 for their 2000 Chevy Malibu when it was totaled. :psyduck:

It's crazy, if the comparables locally are overpriced you'll often make a decent amount. I once gave a guy around 2k for his clapped out late 90s Accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I have some 3m double sided tape that has held up for over a year in Texas, outside during work hours. I bet their Velcro equivalent would hold up equally well.

I cleaned the glass and applied it when the glass was pretty warm and applied pressure for about 5 minutes.