Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My Mini 0801 has finally kicked the bucket. Anyone bought a Rexing v1? Lot of positive reviews on Amazon but other review sites are mediocre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

azurite posted:

I'm looking for my first dashcam and I'd like it to be mostly out of sight. The idea of suction cups really irks me. I saw the A118 recommended here, but there are a billion no-name models of it. Any opinions on this Rexing?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X528FNE/

I have that Rexing. First one the battery did not work at all, so as soon as you turned off the car it would turn off. They sent me a replacement and it's worked fine ever since. I wish it had GPS but I can deal without it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I hope my cam lasts because I've just epoxied the mount to the windshield. The double sided tape, even the 3m extreme, can't handle the heat.

Note: don't be a dumbass like me, make sure you're getting the 1 minute epoxy otherwise you'll be holding the mount up for almost 10 minutes getting it to set.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

DethMarine21 posted:

The SG9665GC comes with 3M VHB tape for the mounts which looks like it's somewhat more temperature resistant than 3M Extreme.

I haven't had any of them hold up very well over the summer. The epoxy is about 1/4 the cost of a roll of 3m as well.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I believe both google maps and waze have options to avoid toll roads.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cugel the Clever posted:

Wait, am I seeing that right? Do both sides have 'Yield' signs??

It's just on both sides of the road. The small sign underneath indicates which side has to yield - "To ramp"

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Couldn't you just do the deltas and only upload new items?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’d just swap the battery first and see if that solves it. Super cheap.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

This is a 75mph limit highway. When they started walking out slowly I legitimately thought they were trying to commit suicide. Keep trying to cross a highway during rush hour and I'm sure that day won't be far off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyEqudsXzR0

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You can be right but be dead. Some people insistence that they’re “right” even in the face of very bad potential consequences is baffling.

It’s like the guy who was a colossal mega dick to an ex-con tow truck driver. Yes, when he beat your rear end he was legally in the wrong, but you played a stupid game and won a stupid prize.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The birds eye view is definitely one of those features you scoff at until you use it. Super nice.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

nm posted:

It's not about being right, it is about not being dead. I'm far more worried about the million distracted drivers who won't look for something on the edge of the road and the other hundred thousand who will try to fit in a lane that won't safely hold a bike than the one dude who has extreme road rage. He might try to hit me on the white line too because he thinks I should be riding in the dirt.

If I wanted to be right over dead, I could do many other things like not assuminh every single car is going to turn right in front of me.

Yeah, I wasn’t replying to you specifically. Just an observation in the conversation of the guy with brain damage.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nothing like two idiots constantly on upping each in other in a game of shitsmanship

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Some OC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrV7jpuAIdQ

He was originally driving down the middle before going even further to the left. I'm going to assume texting.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Why are you mounting it to the plastic trim vs the windshield?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TheRagamuffin posted:

Ahahaha what the gently caress, you can appeal a verdict you pled guilty to?

I think he’s appealing the length of the sentence, not the verdict.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

I just bought my first dash cam and wondering what software people are using to edit their videos and whatever. I've never done any kind of video editing and have no clue.

Windows Movie Maker.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

STR posted:

No longer available (from Microsoft) as of January 10, 2017, and was never released for Windows 10.

For Windows 10, Easy Movie Maker is pretty simple to just trim, stitch together, etc - it's in the Windows store, and free (has an ad here and there).

Nah - https://www.techradar.com/how-to/windows-movie-maker-is-back-how-to-use-windows-10s-hidden-video-editor

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mine works flawlessly to trim 1080p videos. It takes a minute or two to preload the file before you can edit it though.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

sharkytm posted:

Hey, I get to contribute.
Agreed, I was going to be close on the light, but the oncoming guy was at the same point that I was. No harm, no foul... but stop lights aren't stop signs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hndMmx39R2c

Close meaning you were going to run the red?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

chrisgt posted:

The guilty never have dashcams :v:
(unless they're too drunk, dead, or arrested to remember to grab it off the dash...)

I’m not so sure about that, have you seen some of the motorcyclists who smash mirrors over the smallest perceived slight by a motorist, almost assuredly precipitated and made worse by the motorcyclist driving like a retard?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

This thread title is cancer, lovely reddit memes shouldn’t be here

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nocheez posted:

You are correct.

It can be both hth

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Beach Bum posted:

That dude is about to have an insurance nightmare

Better hope he has collision coverage because nobody else will pay for it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sovereign immunity is a hell of a thing.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

nm posted:

Lots of departments self-insure.
It doesn't relate specifically to this, but I know of some officers (due to my public defender days) who were taken off patrol due to having cost the department way too much money (normally excessive force, but not always), so it can have an impact.

It’s interesting to read the police monitor reports. Tons of at fault accidents by officers, almost never in the course of an active pursuit. Just bad driving.

Lot of DUIs, PIs, and sadly domestic stuff as well.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

actually, sir, you see, when you swerved to avoid the deer you commanded the car to go into the ditch, so the accident is determined to be your fault. if you had struck the deer then you would be covered. this case is closed, thank you for being a customer

this is how insurance really works, at least for some companies

It’s because comprehensive coverage is a defined list of perils vs a collision loss which is a broad coverage. Also every moron would just claim they were avoiding a deer when they bin their STI into a ditch.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

nm posted:

I would consider a small claims action depending on how it works in MA.

Your insurer, however, will absolutely go after their insurer. They don't make money by not getting the money they are owed.

It’s this. $2k is definitely an amount they will subro for, especially since it’s a company with actual assets and not JimBob Sawyer with $67 to his name.

Also, it’s a collision claim, not comprehensive as it isn’t vandalism. Is your deductible different?

However, driving history follows the driver, so it’s not on your record.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

STR posted:

This depends on the state, and particularly on this, the circumstances.

I'm thinking in Texas, this may be covered under UM/UIM as a hit and run, or under comp as vandalism. UM/UIM in TX carries a mandatory $251 deductible (which you get back once they subrogate). UM/UIM also doesn't affect rates much here. UM/UIM here covers a lot more than just getting hit by someone without insurance.

It'd probably be best to attempt filing it under UM/UIM first; if it gets denied, then file it under comp, and if that fails, collision (assuming OP carries collision; for a 12 year old car, that may be up in the air). I'm not sure how MA laws work though.

Vandalism can not be applied to the operator of a vehicle. Comprehensive has a list of things that make it a comp claim. Usually this is animal strikes, explosions, earthquakes, fire, vandalism, missiles/falling objects, riots, theft, hail/wind/flood.

UMPD also has a very specific definition of what the coverage entails. Usually this is damages sustained to the vehicle that the insured is entitled to recover from an operator of an uninsured motor vehicle. Your own car is specifically listed as not qualifying as an uninsured motor vehicle in the contract.

Collision is the catch all bucket.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

STR posted:

Again, depends on the state. UMPD covers hit and runs here, whether or not you have a description of the other vehicle. It's what paid out when someone hit my car while parked and took off.

Right, not disagreeing. If you can’t locate the other car then the assumption is they’re uninsured. I’m saying your own car cannot qualify as an uninsured vehicle, so it wouldn’t cover anything here.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

STR posted:

I think the kids may need to take the keys away from this guy. No reaction at all to honking, waving, flashing lights, etc, and looked like he was about to keel over.

Yes, I did call the police. I have no idea if they caught up to him or not. I hope they did, because it looked like something was very wrong with him. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0sFm4W2RTk

This intersection is a little bit of a clusterfuck, but there's a one way sign where he originally turned, and plenty of DO NOT ENTER signs.

Crude overlay on the map. Red line is the path he took. Wide green highlighter line is the path he would have had to take to accomplish the same thing safely (also, unaltered map link)

I’m convinced that TacoDeli has some sort of effect on people, because that intersection is always a clusterfuck. All the people coming from the Domain on north Mopac get in the wrong lane and dive over, you’ve got people turning left on reds, just a general bad design.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Oddhair posted:

Reminds me of my favorite TX law, you can turn from any lane to any lane as long as nobody else has right of way.

That law doesn’t exist

(a) To make a right turn at an intersection, an operator shall make both the approach and the turn as closely as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.

(b) To make a left turn at an intersection, an operator shall:
(1) approach the intersection in the extreme left-hand lane lawfully available to a vehicle moving in the direction of the vehicle; and
(2) after entering the intersection, turn left, leaving the intersection so as to arrive in a lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the direction of the vehicle on the roadway being entered.

(c) On a street or roadway designated for two-way traffic, the operator turning left shall, to the extent practicable, turn in the portion of the intersection to the left of the center of the intersection.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

Not mine, but there are enough Dallas goons in here to appreciate this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffR7qcsNTic

Hell yeah bro take the lane

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

nm posted:

Seriously. If you think drivers are bad in a car, wait until you walk or bike where you are completely invisible and screw ups that cause fender benders kill you.
Literally no one stops for crosswalks, at limit lines, and if you think only bikes run stop signs, I got some stories.
My bike camera is loving R rated.

My entire bike commute is filled with traffic violations. I’d wager that almost every car I encounter is violating at least one law. Most common is stop sign rolling, no turn signals, and of course using their cell phone while driving. The trifecta is pretty common too.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It’s mostly you notice women holding the phone up to talk because they don’t want to smudge their makeup. Men just smash the phone against their neck.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

https://open.spotify.com/user/pf1hfcyxdoxfelqtsdmpnnq4c/playlist/0MNHPzq7xlKLVlF0pGes7q?si=g-5i2_aGRZCjreLIbEyf5Q

You might not have a job after this though

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Local agents are worthless for claims handling and often don’t have a clue how it actually works.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Linux Fairy posted:

I have Amica; the other guy has Allstate. Strike one was that they made me install their stupid mobile app to upload a photo of the damage :goonsay:

I originally called Amica, and they offered to claim it under my comprehensive (and then they'd try to collect my deductible back from Allstate), but the guy on the phone couldn't tell me if it would affect my premiums, and told me I'd have to negotiate with Allstate anyway for diminished value (which would be substantial; it's an otherwise spotless Golf R), so I decided that since the thing was drivable, I'd try first with Allstate and then come back to Amica if I didn't get what I wanted.

It’d be under your collision coverage with Amica, not comprehensive.

They also now have a record of the accident since you called in, so if a not at fault accident will impact your premiums it’s going to now for sure. They’d probably catch it on your CLUE report at the next renewal anyway. Amica tends to be a higher tier insurer so hopefully you’re not on the cusp where they’d drop you.

As for diminished value, fully expect Allstate to tell you to get hosed the first time. You might be able to get a few hundred dollars, maybe up to $500 just to make you go away but if you’re thinking it’s going to be “substantial” you’re likely to be disappointed. You could hire a third party or attempt to sue for whatever value you think it’s lost but the courts have generally not been favorable to a perceived loss of value that is very difficult to meaningfully quantify.

Allstate is the 4th largest insurer so their service level is roughly the same as you’d get at State Farm, GEICO, etc. It’s mostly dependent on your rep and how on it they are.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nitrox posted:

Also, this just happened

https://youtu.be/sYkPByLPMjg

Dipshit got a ticket when police showed up

Uh nice work showing him that you have the ROW and will not stop for any man. The pleasure of dealing with an auto accident just so you can feel that righteous indignation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

JuffoWup posted:

Reminder that the person merging would be at fault no matter how dickish the driver was to hit them because the person merging is required to yield. In getting hit, they obviously did not yield as they were supposed to.

Fault is not a binary thing though, if someone submitted this video to prove their case I would absolutely put negligence on them as well. In some states if you contribute at all to the accident you can’t collect from the other party.