Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

ijustam posted:

Hypothetical: To those who have a dash cam and got in an accident: Did you just get details and forward the video to your insurance? What about police reports? I have a Mobi so it doesn't have a screen so I wouldn't be able to just up and show an officer what happened.

In the US the odds of some shithead running towards your car and acting like you ran them over is very small. The main reason to have a dashcam is in the event that someone does something stupid and then tries to blame you. Out of the 5 or so incidents I have ever had, the camera would have solely been for "HOLY poo poo CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS poo poo" vs this is what really happened and no I did not try to murder a pedestrian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

xzzy posted:

There was a story back when I lived in Alaska of a small Cessna-style plane that had to do an emergency landing on the Seward highway just outside Anchorage.. mountains on one side, water that kills you in 2 minutes on the other so the pavement was the only flat place to go.

The claim was that one of the cars that were on the road at the time actually had rubber from one of the plane's tires smeared perfectly down the center of the roof. I never saw pictures to prove it, but that was the tale.

Someone once told me that there is some sort of traffic code where any roadshighways built have to have at least 1 mile per every 5 miles be straight and level for use as a runway in emergencies. Probably a bit of bullshit but it makes sense.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
My G1W is currently sitting in the passenger seat because it's a piece of poo poo that no longer records, and constantly turns itself on and off whenever it feels like it.

Glad I didn't spend a lot on it. Think I'm gonna spring for a Mobius or something better this time around.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KozmoNaut posted:

A lot of newer cars will automatically apply the brakes 100% if you go from the gas to the brake quickly, no matter how gently you press the brake.

It was rather startling the first time it happened in the Panda.

I've had mine do this a couple times, and it definitely scares you a bit. Also, got to love it when its super cold out like today and you just touch the brake pedal and almost go through the windshield.

I've actually been trying to figure out the limit of my tires in the snowpack. Even standing on the brakes I can barely break these new winter tires loose.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The good news is, in the US at least, most idiots that pull that crap are going to admit to having done something dumb that got them hit.

Most people in the US don't understand the whole "never admit fault, ever, even if you are at fault".

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

8ender posted:

Because the 401 in Ontario is a magical place where dry pavement turns to ice in less than a kilometre and then you're in a whiteout and then that whiteout clears up to ice rain and suddenly its a nice sunny day except the pavement is hard pack snow and an old guy in a Saab just lost it and he's tumbling into the ditch but no one cares. The trucks won't slow down though, no they never slow gotta get that load there on time gently caress you cars i'm taking all three lanes with this drift walmart needs these loving bags of dogfood.

Sounds like a winter wonderland.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Scruff McGruff posted:

My second G1W is acting weird so I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and commit to the K1S.

I bought my G1W in Feb 14, it worked for about 6 months, then took a dump. Nice waste of 70 bucks. I'm going to do the same and just get a K1S, especially since I'm about to spend a stupid amount of money on a new car.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Laserface posted:

Hes Australian, so he is on the right side of the road.

Clearly he's driving on the left side of the road.

As to right of way, if you assume every person on the road is an idiot you never have to guess who has the right of way.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Reading up on the K1S it seems to have issues. Is there any bulletproof camera that I can just install and have it actually work without constantly having to be fidgeted with. Now that I have the new car, I plan to hardwire something in. I just need to figure out what camera is actually worth the money.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Yep, there are 2 Aurora bike cops out here that used to -always- sit at the same place. Then the speed limit went from 55 to 65 and low and behold they no longer hang out there. Now they hang out where it's still 55 but if you aren't paying attention you pull over after the FINES DOUBLE BECAUSE WE SAY SO sign. God I hate traffic cops. If you want to be a revenue collector, why not just go work for the IRS?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

The Locator posted:

I'm not sure why the Highway Patrol doesn't just set up shop on the HOV (carpool) lane on I-10 every morning. They'd make friggen bank, I swear that every 3rd car is just some person driving along by themselves in that lane, and I understand the fines for doing that are pretty steep. It would have the double effect of big revenue, and making me giggle.

Cause most of them have cameras. Out here in CO the HOV lanes either scan your tag or send you a bill in the mail from taking shots of your plate. Which leads to douches driving with no plates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I always get a kick out of the assholes getting pulled over using the HOV cheater lane entrance by where I work. Every couple weeks a cop will just stand out there and pull people over that think their Jag or X3 is too fancy to sit in line.