Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

How are you all wiring/concealing the camera? Can we get some more installation pictures? I am inept when it comes to modifying cars so I'm hesitant to buy one because I'll probably break something while installing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

http://www.reddit.com/r/Roadcam/ is a good source of scary dashcam footage

like this butt-puckering moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce9lF_9m7yQ

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

What the hell was flying around at the end?

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Got my G1W today. Do all just use the suction cup mount? Hows it hold up over time? I've had poor luck with suction cups in the past, with them falling off and what not.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

It's remarkable how much texting resembles drunk driving

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

On the rare occasion I witness an accident and my dashcam wasn't recording. I think the power cable I used is defective.

:(

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Put together my first dash cam vid. It's boring, but it's two clips of one guy going straight through a turn lane and then going down the wrong way of another turn lane :psyduck: The second is just a moderately-high-speed u-turn in the middle of traffic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUmvCDmYLN0

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

PaganGoatPants posted:

That guy had some slick moves there.

Yeah I wasn't even mad, I was more confused and slightly impressed that his plan worked out.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

More wrong way/u-turn goodness. This time the opposite direction but same intersection :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hJg4z6u9bY

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Unless you're near a university. Someone once drove by and threw a beer at a girl, so I called the university cops. Red Jetta with the right tail light out. They pulled him over and DUI'd.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

A lot of those YouTube comments are random troll accounts when that video made the front page of reddit so I'd take them even less seriously than you would otherwise.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I have mine in the same spot except I'm lazy and the power cord just hangs down. I should really conceal it.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Hypothetical: To those who have a dash cam and got in an accident: Did you just get details and forward the video to your insurance? What about police reports? I have a Mobi so it doesn't have a screen so I wouldn't be able to just up and show an officer what happened.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I bought a 12V-5V converter with a fuse tap but my fusebox won't accept it because of space. Right now I just have the cable running from the rearview mirror to the little cubby about my dash, which has a power outlet in it.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

oxbrain posted:

Why not run it up the driver side a pillar?

It doesn't need to be on the fusebox. Just any switched power. Tapping into existing wires is easy enough.

I would love to hardwire it but any time I modify anything in my car I wind up breaking it :(

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Hit an Apex posted:

:siren: 17 Month Report :siren:

I was hit in a parking lot while stopped (I was in car and it was running) two weeks ago. This was one of those accidents were there was no way it was my fault, some guy just backed into me without looking, straight into the side of my car.

However, the G1W didn't cover even me screaming bad words. Seems sometime recently it has started to malfunction. It will record but not well. It has something to do with the internal battery being toast. It was/is set on 5 minute loops, so if I turn the car off in the middle of one, it won't save (like it used to) as the power is cut and the camera has no power to close the file out.

Yeah as much as I'd love for my dashcam to be hands-off I usually take it out every few weeks just to make sure everything is still working good. Especially now that it's hot outside.

Honestly I don't know why everyone harps on the G1W... I bought one and it was a lovely piece of poo poo. I bought a Mobius shortly after and was much happier. I'm actually thinking of upgrading again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

oxbrain posted:

Probably a better idea than doing the opposite.
https://youtu.be/UIYGokm9VPk

I thought this would be a video of someone on a motorcycle idling towards a stop light at 2 mph swerving around so they don't have to put their feet down. Holy poo poo that drives me insane.