Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
What's the best ~$50 camera, assuming you don't need obscene high def or special features. I would settle for something that I turned on manually and recorded enough resolution to see car make and model. I doubt I'll really need to make out fine detail or license plate numbers.

I guess the one in the OP is one of the better ones for roughly that price, yeh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Rhyno posted:

I wish I'd remembered mine before I went to Michigan yesterday. I was on the highway and two times some rear end in a top hat blasted past me at 90+, cut across in front of me and then slammed on the brakes to hit an exit. I just hope they wrecked elsewhere out of my sight.

What a terrible thing to say.

You want to see that poo poo!

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Sigma X posted:

The reactions in this video are delightfully stereotypically Canadian.

"Yoo ookay?"
"Oh may gawd. I'm hurt but I'm all right. Oh may gawd. Oh may gawd."
"Is everybody OK? I'm so sorry. That was totally may fault."

You'll never hear that at the scene of an accident in America...that poo poo'd be like:

"OW OW OWWWWWW..."
"Shut up, woman! He's comin' over 'ere!"
"What the gently caress do you think yer doin'? You ran RIGHT into me! Yew stupid or sometin'?"

anonumos fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 6, 2014

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Kill-9 posted:

My wife is also a 'spirited' driver in her R on occasion so we're always both paying pretty good attention to our surroundings. Especially on this fun and winding road. That intersection always seems to be an issue so we both kind of expected it. We really weren't going too fast. Limit there is 35, I was doing under 40. The wide angle always makes things look faster than they are. Kinda why they use wide angles for extreme sports. Gives a feeling of speed.

I was gaining on the slow car in front so I assume the BMW thought I was going the same speed and misjudged. Also, the Fiat is a small car. He could have just misjudged how far away we were by going off our size out of the corner of his eye. About half the cars turn up that street so he might have thought we were. My lack of expletives kind of supports that I believe it was an honest mistake. I always slow down for the hundred yards through there for this very reason. No harm, no foul.

Edit: here's the cam for $52 on Amazon. Free two day shipping with Prime. Its a more recent chipseted G1W. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GIDXG86/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the updated testimonial about this particular G1W. I just picked it up along with a 32GB SD card (which was recommended upthread). I'm looking forward to installing it and recording some insane SoFla traffic. Having recently been vandalized worth almost $3000 on my 2 month old car, I'll also be happy to have evidence if it ever happens again.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I just got my GW1 today. I'm thrilled to capture some crazy driving to post soon.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Mantle posted:

Is there a software out there that can automatically and seamlessly stitch together a bunch of video clips produced in a loop recording mode, editing out the overlapped bits?

VirtualDub?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

spog posted:

I researched a little further:

I think it is signifcant that the prosecution was 'causing death by careless driving' (up to 5 years in prison), rather than 'causing death by dangerous driving' (1 to 14 years in prison). The actual sentence probably reflects how they apportioned blame.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/news/fact_sheets/dangerous_driving/

Still, that final 'oh!' is probably going to haunt me.

I dunno, I'm still firmly in the camp of "biker should have slowed down". You just can't expect a car driver to predict a collision with a speeding anything. I'm shocked that they prosecuted. Shocked.

edit: basically, '7 seconds my rear end!'

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Hikaki posted:

Yeah, it's one thing to be going 100 on the highway in the fast lane, but this idiot was on a two lane road with crossing traffic. I feel really bad for the Clio driver. It's almost like those cases where a person suicides in front of a train, except the conductor gets prosecuted in addition to mentally scarred for life.

I'm also annoyed how sympathetic that video is to the biker. It should really just show the footage and have in big block letters: "DON'T BE LIKE THIS FUCKWIT".

Though, of course, watching out for bikers is A Good Thing(tm). I just don't know if Clio could have done anything even if he did see the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

wolrah posted:

My G1W has started doing this when I shut the car off recently. It turns off, then for some reason turns back on. For a week or so it would get fully on and then pop a low battery warning and turn back off properly, but now the battery is apparently dead enough that it can't get fully booted and it just loops like this for a minute or two before giving up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unaKL8xQFv0

It still seems to work fine when the car is actually on and providing power, so its only a minor annoyance at the moment, but has anyone else experienced this and is there a fix?

This happened to me, too. I finally trashed the thing and intend to buy another brand.