Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I forget which Youtube channel I saw it on, but one of the people who covers dashcams a lot went in depth on license plate visibility and basically demonstrated that a standard wide angle dashcam view is just never going to be amazing. Some are a bit better than others but if you really want to reliably capture plates you want a different lens that shoots a much narrower angle focused purely on where license plates are.

There's a reason police cars with ALPR systems have a half dozen cameras mounted everywhere, all with big lenses aimed low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
My A129 Pro Duo has been mostly fine, the first summer it had a bug where sometimes it'd rotate files and something would get stuck leading to the same video frame being all that was recorded for the rest of the session. A firmware update seems to have resolved that, I haven't had it happen since.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CornHolio posted:

What do you guys use to merge clips?
LosslessCut, which AFAIK is basically a GUI that runs ffmpeg underneath. It doesn't actually re-encode the video so it can only cut or join at keyframes and any joined clips have to be the same format but that also means it operates more or less at the speed of your disks and maintains the original quality.