Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

For what it's worth, the "3 minute auto off" on the display is configurable.

My G1W is slowly failing. When it works, it works great. But every now and then it goes into a "gently caress you" mode where the power light will come on, and nothing else happens... and it starts backfeeding the power adapter. :stonk: It's done this twice now, and always seems to start working again once the internal battery runs down completely (the reset button won't do anything when it's doing this). Prior to this it would occasionally lose the date/time; it hasn't lost them since it started with this crap.

Pretty sure I just got a defective unit though. The video quality is great, and the audio quality is surprisingly decent. I've turned off audio recording to hide my terrible taste in music. :v:

The mount on mine is also a little loose; the camera sometimes fall off of it if I'm listening to terrible dubstep with the sub cranked up. :haw:

When it finally dies, I'll likely replace it with the same model. I haven't been able to find anything about anyone else having the same issues.

There's been a lot of reports of class 10 cards (Sandisk in particular) not working properly in a lot of dashcams, including the G1W. I've been using this Sandisk class 4 32GB with no problem, and it's only :20bux: on Amazon.

Bugdrvr posted:

I see some pretty awesome terrible driving on my daily commute but don't have any decent editing software to pull it and post. What are you guys using?

If you have Windows 7 or above, Windows Movie Maker is surprisingly capable, and it's a free download. It works just fine for adding/removing audio, speeding up/slowing down video, and trimming.

I seem to remember a version being available for XP or Vista at one point.

For OSX, I'd imagine iMovie would be perfectly capable.

Comedy option would be putting the micro SD card into your phone or tablet and editing it from there :v: - though it records in .MOV (it claims to be MP4, but YouTube bitches about Quicktime settings when uploading straight from the card), so some phones may be pissy about that.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I asked about making this kind of thread awhile back (2-3 months ago?) in the "you share a road with these fucks" thread... and was shot down. :colbert: I'm not bitter. Really. :haw:

Seriously though, hoping to see some other affordable (<$100 with 1080p and auto start/stop) models brought up outside of the G1W. Partly for variety, partly because I'm a little hesitant to replace my dying one with another G1W. The picture quality is fantastic, but the build quality on mine is garbage, and the issues mine has are definitely hardware. It has a warranty, but shipping it back to China will cost almost as much as buying a brand new one... shipped.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mine went into its infamous gently caress YOU mode again. Except I had turned off the "turn off display" feature in the firmware, in hopes of catching it in the middle of said :fuckoff: mode to see if anything indicated what was going on.

Turns out when it goes into gently caress you mode, with the display set not to shut off, it just records nonstop until the battery dies (and thinks it's powered by the car the whole time; also makes the stereo pop and flash a bit). I'm just gonna guess whatever diode lives between the battery and USB port is making GBS threads itself. It was back feeding the power supply until the battery died, and the display showed that it was being charged while this happened.

Makes me feel better about replacing it with another G1W at least. I cracked it open, but it seems to have 3 or 4 chips and not much else.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Previa_fun posted:

Ok so I bought a 32gb Pixtor card for my G1W and now I'm having a problem where the camera will record for a couple of minutes and then display "memory error" and not record any more.

Do I need to format the card or buy a better (not cheapie) SD card?

The G1W (and a lot of other dashcams) have a known issue with class 10 cards where exactly this happens. Sandisk class 10 cards are particularly bad with dashcams for some reason (and Sandisk makes Pixtor, from what I dug up).

Try a cheaper card, actually. :haw: I have a Sandisk 32GB class 4 card, works just fine.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Looks like the G1W is also on Amazon, and it sounds like it's the same company that sells as estore009 on ebay (same price, same text, same color options).

I just ordered another G1W through there.

edit: I emailed the seller on Amazon, they confirmed that ebay's estore009 and Amazon's BAIKLOV are the same company. So if you don't want to deal with ebay and paypal to get a dashcam, you can go here instead.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 30, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CharlesM posted:

Gonna try for their one year warranty for the other one? Seems like it would make a good rear view cam if I could be sure to get a reliable one. :v:

Shipping the bad one back will cost almost as much as just buying a new one. Which is why I.. bought a new one. I'll probably try to ship the bad one back once I have the new one, I just didn't want to be without it for the 4-8 weeks it would take to ship back and get a replacement.

Rhyno posted:

For $52 i think we have a winner.

:confused: This camera has always been $52, I think everyone that has the G1W in AI paid about that...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bajaha posted:

Anybody have any recommendations for a dashcam that can operate reliably in unbelievable cold? I'm talking temperatures of around -40*C (coincidentally -40*F) Would be nice to get one but with how low the temperatures get around here I'm thinking I'll have trouble finding one that'll be ok with it.

I can't think of any li-ion battery that will work reliably at those temps (and they pretty much all use li-ion batteries). The electronics can't really be counted on at those temps either.

That said, if you just bring it inside at night (most of them unsnap from the mount easily enough), and wait to bring it out until you're ready to drive, the only issue I really see is the lens fogging up for a few minutes.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

anonumos posted:

What's the best ~$50 camera, assuming you don't need obscene high def or special features. I would settle for something that I turned on manually and recorded enough resolution to see car make and model. I doubt I'll really need to make out fine detail or license plate numbers.

I guess the one in the OP is one of the better ones for roughly that price, yeh?

$52 USD shipped for the G1W, figure another $20 for a 32 gig class 4 card (don't bother with class 10 cards in most of these cheap cameras, they don't play nice). 1080p, auto start/stop. Pretty crappy user interface (which you'll run into on every cheap dashcam), but the video quality is excellent.

I've bought 2 from this seller (one via ebay, one via amazon, but it's the same company). Unfortunately one of them has gotten a bit moody, but the seller has promised to replace it if I can arrange to ship it back (1 year warranty).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

My new G1W showed up today.

Older firmware than the first one, but functionality seems to be the same - except you can add an 8 character identifier to the video. I'll have to pull some video from it later.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

First uploaded video from the new one. :v:

Came across the legendary 3 tired mustang in the middle of a road. Driver claimed he fell asleep and nailed the curb - the tire was a few hundred feet down the road, wheel was still attached to the car, with a nice groove dug into the road by the wheel.

Dude didn't seem intoxicated, didn't smell any alcohol on him. Helped him change the tire.

Wish I had something more exciting :effort:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHGzZfILTFg

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

He wound up not having a lugwrench, and getting to mine requires removing the subwoofer, followed by the spare, and finally, the jack (and I'm pretty sure mine is a different size anyway, the lug nuts on my car are a bit smaller). Someone else stopped and had a lugwrench that fit the lugs on his car though. :neckbeard:

I got the feeling he's the destroyer of cars based on the rear end chewing he was getting. :haw: I was pretty impressed with how well the factory alloy held up - the lip was peeled off for about 6 inches, but it didn't crack, shatter, or bend, despite the tire separating (the inside sidewall was still on the wheel).

I saw someone shatter an alloy on a much newer Buick doing the same thing a few weeks ago - it was pretty impressive how badly the wheel failed, especially since the tire was still attached (and inflated, but the center section of the wheel was obliterated).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ijustam posted:

How are you all wiring/concealing the camera? Can we get some more installation pictures? I am inept when it comes to modifying cars so I'm hesitant to buy one because I'll probably break something while installing it.

Not really "concealed", though I do remove it whenever I park for a bit.

View from driver's seat:

I have the included power cable running into the head liner - right now, it drops from the head liner where the B pillar would be (if my car had one) so that it can plug into the rear lighter socket (front is always hot, rear is switched).

Wickerman posted:

12V to 5V 2xUSB (I went ahead and got the two USB females variety because I wanted the ability to add a front and rear dashcam with only one fuse tap.): http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-Conve...=item20d69526c2

Looks like I'll be ordering that tonight - I have a second G1W that's a little too flaky to use for the main camera, but not bad enough to bother returning. Been planning on putting it in the back window eventually.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

sarcastx posted:

Thought I'd throw my opinion into the ring; I, too, have purchased a G1W from seller "estore009" on eBay; it's served me well (so far) but I thought I'd make a few comments as I've had a couple of different experiences here from the norm.

*I am using mine with a Class 10 Sandisk card (this card specifically) and it's given me no problems.
*The suction cup is practically useless in extreme cold (0F and below inside the car) if you are applying it to the window from being put away - but if it's already on the window, it won't come off.
*The screen on mine never turns off unless the device turns off - someone said something to the effect of the screen turning off after a few minutes of recording - I wish mine did this.
*The firmware is so awful that you won't bother to go through the settings. Happily, you generally won't need to - but I only was able to disable audio recording by accident. Changing the setting appeared to do nothing - I only found out that the audio was disabled after reviewing the footage. The on screen display still shows a microphone icon, confusingly.
*Picture quality is superb - especially for something that costs $52.
*The silver trim around the camera makes it stand out as a target for thieves. It is, however, easily removable.

It should show a slash through the microphone when audio is turned off.

For the screen turning off, you need to select the "screen protection" option in setup. To get to setup, power it on, press M twice in a row (first time gets you into video options, second press takes you to setup). Use the arrows to scroll down to screen protection (it's on the 2nd page on the semi-broken G1W on my desk, I think it's in a similar spot on the one in the car [which runs a different version of the firmware]), press REC, use the arrows to move to 3 minutes, press REC again, press M, and you can then power it off. After that, the screen turns on for the first 3 minutes of recording, then turns off (leaving only the power LED as any indication that it's doing anything).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Incursus posted:

I recently purchased a GW1 like the one pictured. Just curious, but have you tried dealing with a customer service rep at all from that company?

Yes. They responded both times within a few hours, and have a decent grasp of English.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Didn't catch any moron (except myself), but it's drat near impossible to make this turn with any kind of traffic on the road. Cut across 3 lanes in the span of about 4 seconds to legally* make that turn. I don't know who the hell came up with that exit design, but I know that intersection is on the "Top 10 intersections for traffic accidents in Plano" list.

For DFW goons - 121 SRT eastbound exit to Preston, turning south on Preston. I gave up long ago trying to make that turn if there's more than 2 or 3 cars on the service road.

* Not crossing solid lines; pretty sure cutting across that many lanes in such a short term is also illegal in some way, isn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQKubO9GP6k

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Krakkles posted:

Pretty sure there's no law against that, and I do poo poo like that all the time, in traffic.

Also, what the hell were you listening to?

Alexisonfire. Not sure which song (I don't know their songs by heart, and I'm too lazy to do a sound search), but it was their Crisis album.

That's a very high traffic area during off peak daylight hours; during rush hour you'd be lucky to get over one lane before the light.

e: have a video of the :siren: leading by example. I bet if I'd done the same thing in front of a cop I'd have at least a couple of tickets in my pocket. :haw:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 22, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I found a future Darwin Award Winner. :stare:

Hard to see him as I turned off the high beams when I saw his single solitary reflector (didn't want to blind him). You get a glimpse of him - barely - when the video slows.

Dressed in dark colors. No reflectors on the bike except for the one on one pedal, no lights. Riding down the middle of a dark road. I would have never seen him had he not had that one reflector.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm still picking the seat cushion out of my rear end from this one. :suspense: No way in hell could I have stopped for that, just glad the guy who was next to me gave me room to swerve.

This one is intentionally poo poo quality, since there wound up being a few :cop: involved (they have the original unedited file, just didn't think it'd be a good idea to post the original yet).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Feb 1, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ror posted:

Actually, the fact that you really had to edit the video is probably the final point that sells me on the G1W, but your other posts have done a good job too. A lot of cameras with similar levels of build quality really don't seem to have crisp video even if they're delivering the advertised resolution. It seems to me like being able to read license plates and the sort is a critical selling point of a dashcam and I've seen a number of demonstration videos for cameras that are a bit too questionable.

I know it's still at the bottom end of cameras, but the price:quality ratio is what I'm after.

It was the best price:video quality camera in mid 2013, which is why I got one to begin with. And honestly, it really does better than a lot of higher end cameras. There's been some knockoffs showing up (which is funny since it's already a generic knockoff), but that's why I keep recommending the seller I dealt with (estore009 on ebay; they have an Amazon storefront as well, though it's changed names a few times - looks like it's now Blueskysea).

At night, I still can't read license plates with it unless I'm right up on their bumper; same if the sun is glaring into the camera. But it performs like a middle to higher end phone camera in just about every situation.

I edited the video not because the license plate was readable (I couldn't even read it from 3 car lengths back, partly due to dark, partly due to old glasses, partly due to an out of state tag with a format I couldn't easily make out without being close), but because street signs were easily readable. And the only reason I even did that is because there were cops involved.

The only editing I've done to every video I've posted from it has simply been trimming the video down to a reasonable length (or in one case, substituting the Benny Hill theme song for the original audio). And my editing tools consist of... Windows Movie Maker. :haw:

Kilersquirrel posted:

poo poo, that happened to me on 20 going to Arlington yesterday.

Dallas Parkway in Frisco. There was no obvious reason for the car to have stopped - nothing in the road, nothing visibly broken, though they threw their hazards on as I was passing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

"Night vision" on pretty much every dash cam (and pretty much every camera in general) is just a bunch of lovely IR LEDs. And what happens when you shine a light at a piece of glass? :ssh:It reflects!

Most dashcams can easily be mounted in a way that they're hidden (from the driver view) by the mirror. I have mine mounted such that I have to lean way over to see more than a tiny corner of the display; I could hide it entirely from my view, but at least this way I can glance up and see that it's on and recording.

As for the mount, I know the G1W uses a fairly common mount (same one the camera you linked uses). Supposedly you can track down visor and mini windshield mounts? Frankly, I'd much prefer a visor mount, but I've been too lazy to bother with tracking it down.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Betacord posted:

I got my G1W (in brown) and I'm impressed!

As with a few others, I'm looking for a visor mount, not had much success so far as most of the camera mounts I've seen are for some variation of the screw-on sort like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190897181553

Supposedly it uses a similar mount as the LS300W, though you'd need to trim it a little. Supposedly.

If that's the case, something like this will probably be what you're looking for.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FWIW, my car has that same funky dot-matrix thing going on across the top of the windshield - the G1W's mount sticks to it for about 5 minutes before taking flying lessons. Thankfully, between the tinted windows, larger windshield, black mirror, and some black tape, it's not super obvious when you walk past the car.

That stands out pretty bad on your car. :smith: You could use some double sided tape to move the mount up a bit higher, but then you'd risk damaging that dot matrix crap whenever you get sick of this camera and remove the mount.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Just driving home from work. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfamZ0nNKv0

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Feb 15, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I can only assume they were. I stayed the gently caress away from them.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ltr posted:

The linked visor mount just arrived. It fits the G1W well with no modification. Slightly snug but no real forcing to fit. I would assume snug is better than loose with a dash cam anyways. The tightener on the ball joint seems alright for a sub $3 mount. I won't be able to test it out in my car until tomorrow afternoon when I get it back from the shop, but it seems promising so far.

Thanks for following up on that - I may order it myself, just to get it off the windshield.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's the same one that Blueskysea is selling on Amazon.

BSS also ships from China, but they arrive fairly quick (especially compared to DX).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

veedubfreak posted:

My g1w is being weird. I set it to turn the display off after 3 minutes, but it basically stays on constantly. Meanwhile, it acts like it turns off completely while I'm driving. WTF is it with this thing.

That's uh... what it's supposed to do. The "screen saver" only functions while driving; the only sign of life once it kicks in should be the power LED.

Unless I'm misreading your post?

e: wait, is it not shutting off when it should, and sometimes goes dead while driving? That's what my first one wound up doing. :( I keep meaning to RMA it..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 27, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Looks like you found a way to deal with it, but I use Windows Movie Maker to trim video clips. It's free.

iMovie works pretty well too.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tomarse posted:

So are the ones on ebay like this one not the same as the G1W's everybody else is talking about? The specs look the same as the £35 amazon ones at a glance?

If you're going to ebay, I'd suggest using estore009. They don't seem to sell knockoffs, and the dashcamtalk community thinks highly of them.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I think Pfox is more interested in it starting up to record if the car is struck while parked, in addition to typical dashcam functions.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah it does, but all it does is mark the file as one not to be deleted.

Mine occasionally gets set off if I nail a speed bump going too fast or slam the door too hard.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

And yes, off also means it'll stop when the card is full.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ansith posted:

I was expecting to have some trouble with getting power to it but I got lucky and it plugged into the cigarette lighter of my car which was built in the late 70s. The only real issue I had with it when I had it plugged in was that I couldn't get the display to turn off, went through all the menus and pressed all the buttons but nothing.

If it's staying on even when the car is off, your lighter socket isn't switched. You'll need to tap into a switched circuit (such as the radio circuit) with either a power supply, or another socket.

It normally stays on when the car is on, though there's a setting to force it to turn off after 3 minutes (screen saver, I think?) of driving. For now, just unplug it when you're not driving; it'll stay on for 15-30 seconds before powering off.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

All of that said... I turned off the audio on mine.

The dashcam taught me that I'm constantly talking, cussing, shouting, screaming at other drivers. Glancing through videos from it made me realize just how much I babble while driving. And how much I'm cussing out other drivers. I really consider myself a pretty calm driver (to the point that people honk at me for slowing down for a red light more than 15 ft away), but my constant :words: makes it seem otherwise.

It honestly seems kind of like cheap insurance to keep the audio off, at least for me, in case I shout out something like "YOU loving IDIOT WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU CROSSING 3 LANES IN 10 FEET WITH A F-350 PULLING 2 HORSE TRAILERS WITH 30 HORSES YOU loving IDIOT WHY DIDN'T YOUR MOM DO A COAT HANGER ABORTION" (it kind of seems like I might get myself a talking to by homeland security if I kept audio on).

Outside of that, from the few video clips I've uploaded with sound, it makes me too self-conscious of my broken teeth (and thus, lisp).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The whole point of them is that they record while driving.

If you need one that stays on, tap into a constant 12V source. Many cars have lighters/sockets that are always on - my car has 2 sockets; one is always on, one is only on when the car is running. Worst case, tap the radio backup wire.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

meatpimp posted:

Finally jumped on one http://www.amazon.com/Lycheers-1920x1080-Recorder-Dashboard-Detection/dp/B00J58I4N8

G1W with same processor listed as E-Prance, but less than $42 shipped Prime... worth a shot.

"Currently unavailable, we don't know when this item will be back in stock"

The one review says it's a knockoff with poo poo firmware.

Never change, China. Never change. :allears:

veedubfreak posted:

Blueskysea is fine. I got mine roughly a week after I ordered it.

Blueseasky and Baikov are supposedly the same company as estore009 on eBay, at least according to a brief conversation I have with Baikov on Amazon. My first G1W came from estore009, second came from Baikov/Blueseasky.

The second one (via Amazon) took about a week and a half to show up. First one was more like 2 1/2 weeks. Outside packaging was the same between the two.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mini USB.

Your head unit likely puts out 500mA, while the included power adapter puts out significantly more.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm really glad I pooped before leaving work tonight.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Locator posted:

poo poo like that is scary. Nice reaction though, not the typical 'panic stop' that would have gotten you into a wreck (probably).

Should have had the audio on so we could have heard your stream of thought. :v:

The best/worst part: my GM was directly behind me (reasonable following distance; I was doing about 30, he was about 3 car lengths back).

I mentioned to him today. He asked what I was talking about, so I showed him the video. He was busy texting his girlfriend at the time :arghfist::downs:, so if I had panic stopped, I would likely have been spit roasted by two Corollas. :haw: (at least, I think the oncoming car was a Corolla)

I don't remember saying anything except ":wtf:", then forgetting about it and turning the radio up.... then realizing a few blocks later "wait..... did that just happen?".

Beach Bum posted:

OH JESUS loving poo poo CHRIST YOU loving RETARDS ARE GOING TO loving KILL ME AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :tizzy:

Nah, that was tonight, local MLS team had a home game. Stadium is just down the street from work... :argh:

e: maybe I should turn the mic back on..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, Youtube tends to make the lowest resolutions available immediately, followed by HD formats. It may take an hour or more for HD stuff to show up if it's a particularly large file.