Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
fire emblem and brain worms: a classic pairing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think the only bad class might be Armor Knight?

Roy, the 7 trio, and PoR Ike are stuck in some pretty bad classes (Ike has pretty good stats iirc at least), right?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

I think it's neat when a class is part of a character's identity so it can be a cool part of them. Like I'd never use Tana if she was an archer probably but being a Pegasus knight gives me something to get attached to. Same with the Christmas cavaliers.

Yeah, it definitely adds something to the character, which you lose when anyone can become that class.

Erg posted:

also: use the characters in bad classes anyways imo. A true tactician like Mark can make anything work

Also true. You can have fun runs using "worse" classes, but really it's just about adapting your tactics to that one classes handicaps.

Blue Labrador posted:

That's also why I dislike it when games where give you tons of characters with special classes without making that a focal point.

I felt this is what Triangle Strategy did and in that cast of 30 I was only never able to get traction out of 2 characters/classes. Some took more investment than others, but since you're encouraged to play through the game 4 times you can really discover every encounter in a different way.

It does a great job of making everyone feel useful in some way shape or form.

FE has big casts with only like 10 molds to fit them into. So you get duplicates, but that's why just run with your favorites unless luck really hates you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blue Labrador posted:

This is my biggest gripe with GBA emblem. I don't have the brain worm where I *have* to play optimally--in fact, I love playing with lovely units and reclasses--but it can feel pretty bad to have 80% of the game's 2nd half prepromotes just blow most of your early guys and girls out of the water.

prepromotes in the gba games that join around the second half:

FE6: Klein, Echidna, Bartre, Percival, Cecilia, Igrene, Garret, Douglas, Niime, Juno, Dayan, Yodel, Karel. Of these, only Percival and Niime are units I'd describe as better than most of the roster.

FE7: Isadora, Hawkeye, Geitz, Pent, Louise, Karel, Harken, Jaffar, Vaida, Renault, Karla. Of these, only Hawkeye, Geitz, Pent, Harken, and Vaida are units I'd describe as better than most of the roster.

FE8: theres only 6 mid-late game prepromotes and one of them is dozla, one of them is rennac, and one of them is syrene

its really only FE7 where this complaint even kind of tracks

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Bartre/Echidna aren't braindead like Milady and Percival, but they're still great and can easily be endgame ready with maybe a single stat booster, and Cecilia is an amazing utility unit after one unfortunate joining chapter. I still get your point but come on now lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres a difference between 'good' and 'invalidating the rest of the roster.' like do you want bartre and echidna to be bad???

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The times I played FE7 and I almost never used Hawkeye because I didn't like his look and Dart's a pirate! And Rebecca's brother! I think of the prepromotes I only ever used Pent and Louise and Jaffar with any regularity.

Vaida was pretty rad actually when I finally got around to using her.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I liked Echidna's forging bonds storyline in Heroes where she convinced a bunch of horny dudes to help build houses for the poor.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I feel like that's a bit uncharitable but yeah I'll admit to being hyperbolic.

Semirelated, but I've turned a corner on Syrene. I used to think she was garbage, but now that I've messed around more with rescue chaining and the like I see a lot of good she brings utility wise.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I used isadora heavily in my last run. Fe7 is piss easy

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

That is most certainly true.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
it's not pre-promotes specifically but the gap between the Random Dorkass (not to be confused with the random dorcas) and The Wyvern Rider(s) is at its largest in fe6, and it's not like fe6 lets you shower the Random Dorkass with favouritism the way engage (the only recent game in the series with a gap this large) does

if you got into the series with three houses in particular it feels even more dramatic because that game's cast is dominated by units you get immediately and you have absolute, excessive amounts of freedom in what you do with them, and also the roster size is set up to never bench any of them unless you really want to

i think what really exacerbates all of this is that fe6 also hands you a mountain of kaga-era Replacement Unit Theory units, so the new recruits that outshine the units you already had feel even more overwhelmingly superior than they already were. it's like if the four lategame recruits you got in engage were all as bad as bunet instead of being about as good as goldmary - that'd make the midgame recruits like pandreo and kagetsu feel even more absurd than they already are

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fe6 genuinely has the best roster and unit balance in the series. all the bad units are funny bad and all the decent units usually have at least one instance where they're good or some niche they fulfill. it's miles ahead of three houses where everyone is either Generic Blob (bad) or Generic Blob (good)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

units in three houses with a unique mechanical identity:

Lysithea

(scene missing)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
yeah to be clear i think three houses is really not very good in this regard. there aren't any Generic Blobs (bad) because of how good the units are, but they're all Generic Blobs all the same. it's not necessarily a bad thing that literally anyone can promote to sniper and rely on its class bases to kill endgame fliers with a forged bow but it's at total odds with a bunch of other things going on in the game

but i don't agree that fe6 is well balanced in the slightest. when the best armor knight in the game's achievements can be summed up as 'rescue dropped marcus on a fort in chapter 2' and there's more than one armor knight...

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

What FE has the best unit balance and why is it Thracia 776?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blue Labrador posted:

Roy, the 7 trio, and PoR Ike are stuck in some pretty bad classes (Ike has pretty good stats iirc at least), right?

I meant bad more as in "unfun to use". FE is generally easy enough that weak classes can still contribute significantly, so that's never really been a problem imo.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

conquest and birthright have good unit balance but pretty bad class balance, and birthright's level curve is kind of a gigantic mess on purpose because it's the We Want To Let You Grind game. however, i can't discount the possibility that the existence of rev is making me think more positively of the other fates games' balance than they deserve

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Fire Emblem thread, I have to apologize for getting my lore mixed up. Echidna didn't get a bunch of horny dudes to work for her in a forging bonds segment, it was in the Heroes 4koma.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ungulateman posted:

but i don't agree that fe6 is well balanced in the slightest. when the best armor knight in the game's achievements can be summed up as 'rescue dropped marcus on a fort in chapter 2' and there's more than one armor knight...
its not well balanced in terms of 'all the units are good' its well balanced in terms of 'being a fun video game'

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I think people tend to overemphasize long term, endgame use as the only thing that makes a unit worth using. If a unit is your 4th best combat unit in chapter 2 and starts slowly falling through the ranks until leaving your actively used party when a prepromote joins in chapter 12, that doesn't mean that they didn't contribute throughout that whole time that you deployed them. Hell, in some games, they may even have been one of your better combat units for the hardest part of the game.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I meant bad more as in "unfun to use". FE is generally easy enough that weak classes can still contribute significantly, so that's never really been a problem imo.

Oh yeah, in that case, I pick up what you're putting down lol.

PoR Ike would've been even cooler if he got axes on promotion, but he's still dope without that.

On a pretty much-unrelated note, I fell asleep watching this video talking about underrated RD units, and I think the guy who talks about Lyre makes a pretty solid point i.e. Lyre is still bad, but not at all bottom of the barrel, because Laguz in general have more utility and combat ability than people and fans like to prescribe them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElRYb9odjuU

Blue Labrador fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 3, 2024

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Endorph posted:

its not well balanced in terms of 'all the units are good' its well balanced in terms of 'being a fun video game'

oh ok in that case fe6 still isnt well balanced in the slightest lmao

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

FE6 would be a fun video game if it weren't for the fact that I like dark magic too much and keep trying to train Sophia.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I mean, Raigh’s right there if you want a dark mage to train, it’s not like Awakening where they just straight up give you a bad archer in Chapter 1 and a level 10 one in a paraloge with mid-lategame enemies.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

ungulateman posted:

it's not pre-promotes specifically but the gap between the Random Dorkass (not to be confused with the random dorcas) and The Wyvern Rider(s) is at its largest in fe6, and it's not like fe6 lets you shower the Random Dorkass with favouritism the way engage (the only recent game in the series with a gap this large) does

I think engage is actually pretty well balanced. it’s a lot easier for etie to contribute to the team and do something meaningful every turn than it was for rebecca.

though maybe this is an unfair comparison bc engage is a lot more player-phase than the gba games were

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Endorph posted:

units in three houses with a unique mechanical identity:

Lysithea

(scene missing)

hey the lords have some unique mechanics to them. except dimitri who is just guy who punch hard

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Fire Emblem thread, I have to apologize for getting my lore mixed up. Echidna didn't get a bunch of horny dudes to work for her in a forging bonds segment, it was in the Heroes 4koma.

based

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
On the topic of fe8 class options, how do super-trainee classes work? Do they have the same growths and caps as the basic trainee class? Is there any benefit to using them whatsoever?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

classes in fe8 dont change your growths at all, thats all character based. theres no difference in growths between knight amelia and cav amelia.

super trainees do have higher caps than the default trainees but they're pretty low and the promo bonuses don't increase your CON so thats a big problem too.
ross and amelia get a crit bonus and ewan can use dark/light/anima as super trainees.

in ross's case there's literally no reason not to go berserker and light magic is pretty mid in fe8 so druid is probably better if you want dark/anima for ewan but ig amelia is the only way to get a 'halbedier'

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ewan also loses staff access that way. The super trainee classes are all pretty underwhelming for being a new game+ Easter egg. Ross in particular, because while the other two at least try to do something cool and unique, Ross just gets handed "one of the classes you already had, but worse"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

WrightOfWay posted:

I think people tend to overemphasize long term, endgame use as the only thing that makes a unit worth using. If a unit is your 4th best combat unit in chapter 2 and starts slowly falling through the ranks until leaving your actively used party when a prepromote joins in chapter 12, that doesn't mean that they didn't contribute throughout that whole time that you deployed them. Hell, in some games, they may even have been one of your better combat units for the hardest part of the game.

Etie got mentioned, but she's a really good example of this. Even though she's a middling character at best in the context of Engage's overall cast at endgame, early on giving her a steel bow with a couple of cheap forges lets her trivially vaporize every flyer in the early game, which are otherwise pretty annoying to deal with with your other early character options.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The main reason to use super trainees is if you really like their sprite, there's not really compelling mechanical reasons to do so.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

It’s more of a goofy bonus, and it’s locked behind beating the game with both routes. They get an crit bonus like swordmaster/zerker though which is funny, but not enough to make up for being in a trainee class

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

WrightOfWay posted:

This is a problem with gaming in general, if there's a strategy that makes something stronger at the end of the game it's overwhelmingly considered the optimal path even if it makes the earlier parts of the game an unfun slog

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Eh I wouldn’t really call that a problem with gaming. That’s just a natural heuristic of Maximize Output, but we all have to rely on something like that when we’re not familiar with a game. There’s definitely also a naive option of just only focus on what’s right in front of you and eschew any long term planning. More nuanced approaches like recognizing when you can cash something in because you’ve hit the threshold, balancing short/long term payoff, etc all pretty require some experimentation or built up knowledge so they’re not as broadly applicable at first.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, at least with Fire Emblem something like early promotion (where it theoretically comes at the cost of stats) can be kinda daunting in a few games, like if I’m getting my rear end kicked and actually want the power on New Mystery Maniac, what happens when I hit endgame and Palla’s getting doubled by everything because I promoted at level 10? If I early promote Rutger what about the extra HP he would have had by waiting?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I think a lot of this happening in Fire Emblem is just an outgrowth of Megalixir syndrome. Similar to how people don't want to "waste" limited resources like megalixirs in RPGs and end up beating the game with a bag full of them because they refused to use them even in situations when they would have helped out because what if they needed them later, a lot of people who play Fire Emblem don't want to "waste" limited resources like exp or kills or limited use weapons or promotion items or whatever, so you get people playing through the entirety of GBA Fire Emblem games using only iron weapons and never letting the Jegans get a single kill because the Jagen only gets 2 experience and someone else might have gotten 15 even if that other person would need to level up 10 times to be as good as the Jagen is right now.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Endorph posted:

fe6 genuinely has the best roster and unit balance in the series. all the bad units are funny bad and all the decent units usually have at least one instance where they're good or some niche they fulfill. it's miles ahead of three houses where everyone is either Generic Blob (bad) or Generic Blob (good)

Except that everyone has different combat arts and spell lists!

And the different boons and banes make getting into classes take different amounts of time, and this constrains the classes you can realistically pass through and master in a playthrough!

Like, yeah, you can make Lysithea into a fortress knight, and you can also make Raphael into a fortress knight. True.

But not only will they play very differently in the class given their different stats and combat arts, but the journey to get to that class will have been totally different. In investing in armor for Lysithea, you're making a bigger sacrifice of not investing into other things than you are with Raphael since he has a boon in it and Lysithea has a bane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I’ve just picked up Tree Houses, it’s the first time I’ve played a FE game. How much can the random leveling up screw me? I’m pretty anxious about it.