Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's honestly a legitimately fun, complete FE game, which is a complete miracle given that it was made by one kid over a decade ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

I've never played a fire emblem hack, are many of them good?

Yeah romhacks rule

lol it's so true

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Endorph posted:

the way mangs has slithered back into the community is sickening.

Yeah, it's sickening and astounding. He came back like nothing ever happened. Certain youtubers who collaborated with him now don't anymore, but his fans simply don't care that he's a sex pest. That part is honestly not that surprising to be honest, considering the creepy content he put out before he was exposed, but it still sucks.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s sickening but I sadly can’t say I’m all that surprised, when it comes to lovely creeps all too often all they have to do is put forth the barest pretense of an apology for “unknowingly” hurting others for stuff they “might” have done and usually people just pretend it wasn’t that bad or whoever was affected was asking for it or some other vile poo poo.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

revisted awakening lunatic, ended up finishing it this weekend. I've beaten it once before near launch, but I wanted to do it deathless & no grind which i didnt accomplish back then.
real mixed bag of a difficulty. There's a window where it can be pretty enjoyable, kind of starting at ch 3. Like it can be pretty fun to figure out things like splitting aggro by presenting a softer target in the early game, or working out formations to limit attacks, and having a decent amount of rescue staves even before theyre buyable is cool. But around the valm arc my enjoyment really declined a lot, and was kind of tanked by the first walhart battle. The gaiden DNA of exposed maps with insta-aggro enemies kind of catches up really hard around that point (kind of a weird trade off. awakening maps at least have side objectives going on sometimes but gaiden at least does a river with a bridge occasionally). One notable difference is that I actually had a Grima Killing Plan this time, instead of just leaving nosferatu tanks in front and hoping it worked out with vengeance procs and dual strikes eventually.
Shoutouts to freddie though. what a god.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It was especially bad back when Reboot Camp came out and i'd be all excited to see a youtube recommendation on like unit or co tier lists or whatever and it was just a loving Mangs video

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

So I just started Engage for the first time, and the first two cutscenes have me dying. If I was 10 years old I would've thought this was so badass; It's like Power Rangers lol

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Blue Labrador posted:

So I just started Engage for the first time, and the first two cutscenes have me dying. If I was 10 years old I would've thought this was so badass; It's like Power Rangers lol

it gets so much more power rangers

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

They had to censor the latest Heroes unit for Youtube lol

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I love how low effort the smear job over the boobs is. Just no fucks given.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Endorph posted:

last promise is pretty decent for how early in the hacking scene it is. and it not weighing itself with dumb gimmicks is kind of a plus. its main issues are a few maps are overly long and that it really hates giving you axe units.

Yeah, I've been realizing that in retrospect, I was doing vitriol on it for the sake of vitriol, and it didn't deserve half the mockery I gave it when I LP'd it. It's one of my Let's Plays that I wish I could go back and never have done, because while the writing was childish, the work put in was really good for the author's age.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

It was actually really high effort and did a ton of neat stuff with the really limited tools of the time.

It's also an embarrassing fanfic written in youth that will forever haunt the internet

But it gave us kelik with a gun in that one hack, and for that, it's super cool it exists.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I remember Kelik more than I remember a lot of official Fire Emblem characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly compared to a lot of things of that ilk the writing isnt even... that? bad. the kelik/kelik's evil brother stuff is really goofy and kelik's Theme Song is hilarious every time it plays but its not like there's anything offensively bad in it or anything that justifies mocking the author. heck for a complete amateur there's a couple half-decent lines and the idea of the father/son stuff is good even if the execution is terrible. of course there's also a lot of insanely clunky lines but eh.

its not professional at all and there's not really any like, Core to it that makes it worth looking past the amateurishness, but ive seen way worse sitting on actual bookshelves. and id gladly take it over all the fe romhacks that think they're doing deep game of thrones poo poo.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Got back into Engage after cooling off in Solm for whatever reason (time) and now I'm tearing it up. I've settled on a group of 12 to the detriment of everyone else who just isn't keeping up/coming along. My main group of 12 features Ivy, Yunaka, Jean, Clanne, Panette, Chloé, Timerra, Merrin, Etie, Seadall, and Hortensia. Most of them are stone-cold killers, and arguably too highly leveled? Though I find that this game really pushes the first-attack advantage to the point that if I'm defending only Panette (general) can actually take blows and everyone else gets hosed pretty hard. Which is why most of them are power-houses. Only Chloé, Timerra, and Hortensia aren't good at getting the kills, but the former is a weakener/flanker, a pseudo-wall, and healer so it doesn't matter quite as much.

Pandreo and Zelkov are useful subs especially on the map and I'd like to use Citrinne and Lapis but they really aren't very good.

All told. Fun game. Currently on Leif's maps and I can't figure out how to get around the ballista without just face-tanking them, which works, but isn't ideal.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Have you tried using bonded shield from Lucina's emblem? It makes you significantly more able to do things on enemy phase and also do things like tank ballista shots with ease.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
leif's map is designed to make you think "this is stupid" and figure out a more elegant way to proceed

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The other common solution is to use Micaiah with warp and byleth to jump them from the other other side of the map

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

That makes sense! I'm actually... really bad at engaging. Like I forget half the time I can do that and the other half my brain is like "but i'll need it later I'm sure!" even if it's on a recharge. It's a very good mechanic and it certainly changes up the gameplay but I'm not the best person for that sort of mechanic. The game plays really well w/out anyway mainly because the map design is generally great. I haven't seen such good level design in ages and am loving it.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That makes sense! I'm actually... really bad at engaging. Like I forget half the time I can do that and the other half my brain is like "but i'll need it later I'm sure!" even if it's on a recharge. It's a very good mechanic and it certainly changes up the gameplay but I'm not the best person for that sort of mechanic. The game plays really well w/out anyway mainly because the map design is generally great. I haven't seen such good level design in ages and am loving it.

I feel like I would have got stomped if I wasn’t regularly using my engage skills. Byleth especially because it meant people got a second turn and wouldn’t get completely owned on enemy phase.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

TheMightyBoops posted:

I feel like I would have got stomped if I wasn’t regularly using my engage skills. Byleth especially because it meant people got a second turn and wouldn’t get completely owned on enemy phase.

Yeah I use them for key moments like that or for an ultra-powered attack, but it means I tend to use them only once per fight even if recharging it is both easy and very viable given all the recharge points. I definitely use them to burn through Revive Crystals. I get them and they're a general plus in the game, but at the same time gently caress them.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah I use them for key moments like that or for an ultra-powered attack, but it means I tend to use them only once per fight even if recharging it is both easy and very viable given all the recharge points. I definitely use them to burn through Revive Crystals. I get them and they're a general plus in the game, but at the same time gently caress them.

On maniac I learned that the key moment was almost always the opening moves of the map and that an alpha strike was the key to winning most maps.

And then I almost never used the recharged engages because, "well, I don't really need it anymore, and maybe I'll need it later."

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

FoolyCharged posted:

On maniac I learned that the key moment was almost always the opening moves of the map and that an alpha strike was the key to winning most maps.

And then I almost never used the recharged engages because, "well, I don't really need it anymore, and maybe I'll need it later."

Recharges could work but only if they’re a direct line to where your going or the unit has crazy movement. Otherwise the waste of the turn to get there and back I found was usually a disadvantage.

I should mention Engage is the first FE I played above normal and therefore like had to actually sort of learn how FE works, but I’m no pro.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

TheMightyBoops posted:

Recharges could work but only if they’re a direct line to where your going or the unit has crazy movement. Otherwise the waste of the turn to get there and back I found was usually a disadvantage.

I should mention Engage is the first FE I played above normal and therefore like had to actually sort of learn how FE works, but I’m no pro.

I just meant them recharging in general from combat and stuff. I'd sit on guys that were ready for a second engage. But yes, not all of the instant engage meter spots are created equal.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

FoolyCharged posted:

I just meant them recharging in general from combat and stuff. I'd sit on guys that were ready for a second engage. But yes, not all of the instant engage meter spots are created equal.

You’re mostly right but I was saved on one of the last maps by Rosado getting a clutch Engage Bow from across the map that I didn’t realize had recharged.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Been chipping away at FE5 very slowly, just finished chapter 7. I think the funniest moment so far was when I decided to toss Asbel into the chapter 7 arena for a couple levels before early promoting him. First round, against a mage, easy duel, no problem. Second round, opponent's an axe armor, I figure this should be easy, right?

lolnope, fucker had 12 mag, Asbel was dealing 1 damage on non-crits. Gets a level with magic though!

Clearly not learning my lesson I throw him in for one more round, and it's another axe armor. This one had 14 magic, meaning Asbel was tinking on non-crits.

FE5 arena is a hell of a thing, apparently.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
lol, and I thought the GBA games rigging the arena to kill whoever you sent to fight in three hits even when that means breaking stat caps was egregious.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/lucky_lunatrick/status/1790562171207696517

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Writing my Masters thesis on Edelgard discourse

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fajita Queen posted:

Writing my Masters thesis on Edelgard discourse

There's a sociology paper in that poo poo for sure.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Quoting a friend's analysis of this here, there is not enough information here. Unless it says it elsewhere, he isn't saying whether or not stat caps come into play. Nino starts at level 5, and with 14 levels, that's only level 19, so no worrying about promotion gains or max level. But it's entirely conceivable for Nino to slam into her pre-promotion Speed cap. It's a 60% growth, she starts with 11, and the cap is 20.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If the grade includes her bases you can't fail the course, if it doesn't you're guaranteed to.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Fajita Queen posted:

If the grade includes her bases you can't fail the course, if it doesn't you're guaranteed to.

Well, no, *technically* it's possible to get a perfect levelup on all fourteen levels - at which point, without bases, your maximum grade... is 91%.

With bases, assuming you utterly flub every level and get 14 empty levels, you have 59%... unless I'm mistaken, some places have a different "Failure" threshold, so in some places that may be a failing grade, barely, if the threshold is 60%? But if the passing grade simply requires over 50%, then yeah, you're correct on that front.

But it's definitely a touch fucky either way.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The whole thing is moot. Anyone who has ever played fire emblem knows this class should only be audited as the statistical averages are moot: your Nino will not gain a single point of defense and will be -4 on magic and speed to boot.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I want to make a joke about bench units and 35% of your class grade coming from attendance but I just can't make it work.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

Quoting a friend's analysis of this here, there is not enough information here. Unless it says it elsewhere, he isn't saying whether or not stat caps come into play. Nino starts at level 5, and with 14 levels, that's only level 19, so no worrying about promotion gains or max level. But it's entirely conceivable for Nino to slam into her pre-promotion Speed cap. It's a 60% growth, she starts with 11, and the cap is 20.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/1ct5qod/im_the_instructor_for_the_fire_emblem_college/

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

i thought that avatar was Harle on top of an offcenter trans flag at first

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What college is this, also so I can pretend to be a student

Oh wait, it's Carnegie, just saw the reddit post

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 16, 2024

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I will say this for the Fire Emblem Heroes team, they take the question of "who could beat up who" very seriously.

Nergal: Bwahaha I'm going to enslave all these loser humans in the FEH realm!
Duma: Oh? Yeah right :lol:
Nergal: How dare you I'm the supreme Fell Dragon of blah blah blah!
Duma: Yeah still :lol: no.
Nergal: Debate me, loser!
Duma: Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Idunn: Should I remember this Nergal guy now that I have my soul back?
Roy: Nah, don't worry about it.
Fae: Let's go pick flowers!
Idunn: Yeah that sounds fun, gently caress all those loose ends.
Lyn: I'm right here, drat it.
Other Lyns: So are we!
Idunn: :lol: who cares.