Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
It's that much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Story and writing-wise, hell yeah. Gameplay-wise it's also better but a game of weak terrible enemies kinda works against the gameplay, because it's not a challenge to figure out how to deal with enemy mobs that are in the way of your side objectives most of the time, outside of HHM.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Last Celebration posted:

Like, I get that a dude that can get through one of the most infamous challenges the series has to offer without breaking a sweat on the highest rank is gonna find Binding Blade Hard a little simple, that's fair. But it kinda feels like he's almost looking for poo poo to hate on at points, like the freaking endgame map music that sounds really energetic and hopeful that he hates because it sounds energetic and hopeful even though that's the point.

Also how much he loves Blazing Blade to death when it's not that much better.

My favorite part was when he shat on Binding Blade for not making sense with Blazing Blade. The game that came after it.

EDIT: I would also argue that story-wise that Blazing Blade is worse. Mainly because while Binding Blade is simple, it doesn't literally blow it's load mid-game, feature an entire arc of pointless faffing about and then repeat the same end game climax that they used in the mid-game except no-actually-really.

Also, Binding Blade didn't utterly gently caress up its message. Blazing Blade is a story about how you can't change the past and have to accept your loss, that seeking vengeance or a way to return those who've died to life is a foolish errand that destroys you. That then ends with Eliwood getting his waifu back, because gently caress it why not.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 9, 2017

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah ok Shadow of Valentia seems a good game and all

But is there gay

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Leo will be changed to be straight in the english version

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Tae posted:

Leo will be changed to be straight in the english version

is that a yes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Melth is the one who taught me that FE7 is the Les Miserables of video games

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that guy that did the s rank lps was way biased towards fe7 and against fe6 but I can at least agree that 7 was the better game on every level

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

dude had colorful opinions on everything but heck, he knew how to max rank a game. also I remember him being somewhat against some of the consensus wrt mechanical stuff (like he thought Marcus was overrated) which was interesting since he obviously has the skills to back himself up

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

What is time if not the interval in which you may or may not finish a max rank HHM run?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Melth is a cool guy in my books. Brilliant at strategy games, and his opinions on story are at least weird in an interesting way. I would totally read another FE LP by him (preferably of Thracia or Conquest).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

Yeah ok Shadow of Valentia seems a good game and all

But is there gay

leo is gay, like explicitly, but he doesn't have any paired endings. however he isn't really presented in a weird way. he's a bit of a fop with a big gay crush on valbar but he's happy just being around valbar and doesn't creep anyone out or anything, if anything the gag is Valbar not getting his obvious come-ons, not Leo being weird. Actually, there's even a base conversation where Celica just flatout asks if his feelings for Valbar are romantic and her response to being told yes is just 'Huh, how about that.' it's neat.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

his opinion on Harken was kind of weird

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nihilarian posted:

his opinion on Harken was kind of weird
in this, the year 2017, we can finally do this

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

dont think legault is into that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

dont think legault is into that
my read on him was always bisexual tbh, he seemed like the kinda guy that'd get weirdly attached to and also gently caress anybody

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

thats probably fair, i only really remember his support with heath

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

Legault: It’s a shame, though. If I’d met you a bit earlier? I wouldn’t be able to leave a beauty like you alone.
Isadora: Master Legault! Are you teasing me?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

i think i have a pretty good idea of what an S Rank run looks like anyways, since the only ones i missed on was Total Exp Gained and Cumulative Level of Army it would mostly have come down to cycling in some b-team members more aggressively instead of just sticking to a core and maybe having some prepromote tag alongs, I'd be more interested in returning to a Hard mode run if anything else. Normal mode was a lot better paced with enemy strength than FE7 was, but it still slides into mostly chump territory, and once when you get the promotion wave going a lot of the enemies cannot keep up.

Overall I enjoyed 6 though. If you're gonna cut all but one map objective, i think seize is probably the best one to keep, defeat boss is rarely ever that different and I don't have too much against rout maps, but it's satisfying to take a throne on a basic symbolic level, i think. Using junky units was fun but its really not that long before it starts handing you competent units outside your starting cavs; Rutger and Deick stand out to me particularly, and then in early middle game you get Milady, who owns. There's also a real lull in map difficulty after 11A, though I'm sure Hard Mode is more consistent on this front. A good chunk of it came from Kleins inconsistent behavior and 100 HP walls though, and then having to ferry klein straight up the map. Why does he just not move sometimes? and his archer army really loves to clog the direct path to him, but at the very least that Orion's Bolt is probably the least useful side objective on the map, since you get another one from a village anyways and i think Shin is probably the only unpromoted bow unit who really wants one.
After that the most dangerous things are generally status staff users, thankfully berserked units give you a player phase to figure out a solution, and sleep staves mostly just get in the way of LTC runs.

Gradually collecting the Divine Weapons was also a fun part about FE6. I didn't bust them out too much before the final 3 chapters, i think i used durandal to slay a manakete or two along the way to make some side objectives cleaner, but I'm glad the games give you the option to bring them out earlier, theyre flashy and powerful.

Gaiden requirements were pretty reasonable too, the turn count they give is fairly lenient. Maybe the most difficult one was manipulating douglas into Dougtona while i recruited zeiss and swept the rest of my army past him, and that one isn't even a turn limit.

Hitrates were pretty shakey in the game, on the whole. Notably, I can't remember a single armor boss that the hammer was a better choice than the armorslayer on, despite most of them having lances, the 30 avoid on the throne was just too brutal on the lovely hitrate of axes. Of course, the bad axe hitrate mostly works in your favor because axe wielding units are probably some of the most common enemy types in the game. Also as far as I know, you don't get a hit or mt boost for ranks in 6. Shoutouts to anima tomes for only having like 4wt, max. It's also nice they just hand you a thief who has high enough speed to steal almost everything important at base, but it does make your other thieves look a bit silly in comparison.

Story wise, it was okay. Mostly straightforward a dragon did it kind of stuff. But I like the chapter music that starts playing when you start your invasion on Bern (In contrast the musics that FE7 would later arrange, in a not terrible soundfont), and I feel like story and chapters tended to nicely match each other. I talked about this earlier but FE6 is way more effective in making Bern feel like it commands armies of Wyvern units.

It's a good fire emblem game

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph posted:

my read on him was always bisexual tbh, he seemed like the kinda guy that'd get weirdly attached to and also gently caress anybody

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Melth is a cool guy in my books. Brilliant at strategy games, and his opinions on story are at least weird in an interesting way. I would totally read another FE LP by him (preferably of Thracia or Conquest).

You should watch his ongoing Age of Empires LP. He is somehow even more arrogant on video (in a good way).

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

leo is gay, like explicitly, but he doesn't have any paired endings. however he isn't really presented in a weird way. he's a bit of a fop with a big gay crush on valbar but he's happy just being around valbar and doesn't creep anyone out or anything, if anything the gag is Valbar not getting his obvious come-ons, not Leo being weird. Actually, there's even a base conversation where Celica just flatout asks if his feelings for Valbar are romantic and her response to being told yes is just 'Huh, how about that.' it's neat.

This is good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

here lies leo, he never scored

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I mean I would like a better joke than "ha ha he's into someone who has no idea because heteronornativity" but that's kind of a quibble. It's a type of joke I don't like very much for reasons, is all.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

on a side note/tangent, since playing the GBA FEs got me thinking about it again
but FE7s localization changes tried to ease difficulty by lowering the mt multiplier on effective damage from 3 to 2, but i always felt like that hurts the player over more than enemy units. What the player gets out of it is mostly that your flying units can tank Archer shots, but in process you lose a lot of effectiveness on the lord weapons. Wolfbeil ends up great anyways because its an axe so doubling and tripling with hectors high strength isn't as relevant, he only needs to hit a few str gains to clear the thresholds, and Lyn makes the mani katti work the way myrmidons can often make the armorslayer work, but poor eliwood rapier is merely okay at slaying some of the earlier cavaliers, especially combined with his low bases and decent but flat growths, but many of the generic effective weapons end up for the worse too, because much like eliwoods rapier they cant overcome some of their own disadvantages. And armor units are so much less useful for the player so its not like youre ever worried about armorslayers or hammers the enemy has

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What was the effectiveness coefficient in JP FE8? I seem to recall it was 2 in all versions, which suggests it was maybe a change the JP team was considering but didn't decide upon until it was time to release FE7 overseas.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

i know its 3x in NTSC, but NTSC is the only version of 8 i've played
its probably not too hard to check, you get a rapier and the boss of Chp1 is a knight, so its just some basic math to account for throne bonus

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Serenes says the effective bonus is 3x unless it's a sacred twin, which have 2x bonuses because ???. Presumably this holds up in all versions.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

boss has 9 def, with 3 bonus from throne
eirika has 4 str base
rapier is 7mt (6 effective from WT)

3x6 + 4 - (9+3) = 10
vs
2x6 + 4 - (9+3) = 4

so it was definitely 3x in Jpn too
Fire Emblem wiki says Effective Bonus for PoR is only double however, and i've heard that was in development before 8?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Fun fact, the JP version of FE8 forgot mage knights were horses so hose-effective weapons aren't good against them

e: my memory is hazy but this might only be rapier/reginlief, not horse-specific weapons

RME
Feb 20, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Fun fact, the JP version of FE8 forgot mage knights were horses so hose-effective weapons aren't good against them

e: my memory is hazy but this might only be rapier/reginlief, not horse-specific weapons

nomads/troubadors/valks also dont get hit by rapier or halberd effective damage in 6, either, so its a repeat mistake (though narrower)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RME posted:

nomads/troubadors/valks also dont get hit by rapier or halberd effective damage in 6, either, so its a repeat mistake (though narrower)

I think in FE6 it was intentional--it was copying FE1, where horse-effective things only worked on cavaliers and paladins, not horsemen

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RME posted:

on a side note/tangent, since playing the GBA FEs got me thinking about it again
but FE7s localization changes tried to ease difficulty by lowering the mt multiplier on effective damage from 3 to 2, but i always felt like that hurts the player over more than enemy units. What the player gets out of it is mostly that your flying units can tank Archer shots, but in process you lose a lot of effectiveness on the lord weapons. Wolfbeil ends up great anyways because its an axe so doubling and tripling with hectors high strength isn't as relevant, he only needs to hit a few str gains to clear the thresholds, and Lyn makes the mani katti work the way myrmidons can often make the armorslayer work, but poor eliwood rapier is merely okay at slaying some of the earlier cavaliers, especially combined with his low bases and decent but flat growths, but many of the generic effective weapons end up for the worse too, because much like eliwoods rapier they cant overcome some of their own disadvantages. And armor units are so much less useful for the player so its not like youre ever worried about armorslayers or hammers the enemy has

Yeah, this was always a weird change but a lot of times they change that stuff at least partially going off of fan feedback and what they wanted to change up too. At least going off of FE9 where everyone thought they took out Maniac because it was too hard for but it was actually just not a good difficulty (but Awakening Lunatic was fine because???) and they apparently rebalanced Hard so it was halfway between JP Hard and Maniac difficulty-wise.

cheetah7071 posted:

I think in FE6 it was intentional--it was copying FE1, where horse-effective things only worked on cavaliers and paladins, not horsemen

Because, yeah, enemy nomads didn't need to be good enough already or anything. *glowers at 12 speed level three HM nomad*

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 10, 2017

RME
Feb 20, 2012

that's possible, and the updated translation patch that i used changed the item description to say "Effective against Cavaliers" instead of Mounted, but as a tl patch it could just be fitting how things truly are instead of anything else

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
"It may be a waste, but I could use the hammerne to give her (recruit Amelia) more javelins" -iateyourpie

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

better then most people's strategy of not using it tbh

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

dude789 posted:

"It may be a waste, but I could use the hammerne to give her (recruit Amelia) more javelins" -iateyourpie

My gut reaction was :gonk: but then I remember I've never used a single Hammerne charge in any FE I've played so like, sure.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I....
Oh my god. He's better at fire emblem than me.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

cheetah7071 posted:

Fun fact, it isn't. The first village you get the Horseslayer intentionally says that Nomads are weak to it. It's simply a case of not programming in the weakness. I fixed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013

Onmi posted:

Fun fact, it isn't. The first village you get the Horseslayer intentionally says that Nomads are weak to it. It's simply a case of not programming in the weakness. I fixed that.

Yeah, that sounds like a pretty simple coding issue in theory (only targeting cavaliers instead of all horse units).

Out of curiosity, did you also check if your fix makes it effective on troubadours and valkyries? Mostly because I remember it not working on them either.