Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

axolotl farmer posted:

jazz_fusion.gif

ever hear of jaco pastorius? huh? SO HAVE I! pffffffffffff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

thx for the boner

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

lol

best part is the you suck written on it near one of the dials

You think it'd give him perspective.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Majority of guitarists are idiot superstitious children who think the wood their instrument is made out of matters in how it sounds coming from an amplifier so its not really surprising they have terrible taste occasionally

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

alaska and hawaii available for extra skrilla

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Harry in Rio posted:

alaska and hawaii available for extra skrilla

:911:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

axolotl farmer posted:

jazz_fusion.gif

This: a good fusion show.

A better fusion show: 2 guys with balding hair are air guitaring that in the audience.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ularg posted:

You think it'd give him perspective.
That was my first solid-body electric.
I put it there, upside-down, to remind me that I suck so I would practice more. It worked. I can play, now.

Also, all of you Steve Vai and Seafoam Green haters can go gently caress yourselves. The only guitar playing most of you can do is acoustic strumming and guitar video games.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

I put it there, upside-down, to remind me that I suck so I would practice more. It worked. I can play, now.

Also, all of you Steve Vai and Seafoam Green haters can go gently caress yourselves. The only guitar playing most of you can do is acoustic strumming and guitar video games.

that poor jazzbox is like what did i do why am i even here wtf

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

I was just starting when these were new and hot. Even back then to my untrained eye they just seemed cheesy and they certainly have not aged well.

The Gloaming
Apr 2, 2008

by Ralp
I, too, hate people who like Steve Vai. People who say that "G3" or whatever is the best band ever are always insufferable music snobs. Soon leads to being told how awful Kurt Cobain was.

Composting Toilet
Oct 24, 2009

Harry in Rio posted:

bc rich makes pretty ugly guitars i mean look at that poo poo

That's a great looking guitar. Mockingbirds are fantastic.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Oh hey it's a Dr. Seussaphone

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
There are tons of stereotypes out there. I love that D'Aquisto as much as my JEMs or my home-built Strat-style or my 1930's Martin Orchestra model, which, BTW, my Grandfather bought from Mel Bay in St. Louis and has passed down to me.

I know this is the new FYAD-lite so it's wrong to actually like anything, and tearing people down is the joy of the anonymous hater; but I come from a long line of musicians (guitarists specifically) and I enjoy a good song. I do not apologize for my taste, my honesty, or the fact that I am earnest about my music and my instruments. I've been around this place a long time and I am used to the negativity.

I can love a complex piece from a guy like Vai (really, hating on a performer who graduated from Berklee and started out with Frank Zappa and P.I.L.) or anything by Nirvana or Bela Fleck, from three-chord simplicity to crazy progressive stuff, from single note solos to the most terrifying virtuosity (e.g. Tommy Emmanuel or Michael Hedges or Robben Ford), I just follow my ears and I love music. Piano music, classical music, old Hip-Hop, acoustic wizardry, searing country/bluegrass, whatever owns.

I love a vintage Fender or Gibson as much as I love my pointy, cheesy Ibanezes (they were very much in vogue when I got serious about playing and we knew they were cheesy then) and they hold a special place in my heart.

There is no accounting for taste, true, but my final word here is that I love my guitars like my own children, and I have devoted 27 years to collecting this gear and learning to make music with it.

Thanks for your time. It's nice to see my collection getting so much attention, even if it's mostly just Crapslock et. al loving with me because I like my Xbox.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Going by quote count, Goons think the greatest crime you can commit against a guitar is paint it teal and put a loving handle on it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dr. Faustus posted:

There are tons of stereotypes out there. I love that D'Aquisto as much as my JEMs or my home-built Strat-style or my 1930's Martin Orchestra model, which, BTW, my Grandfather bought from Mel Bay in St. Louis and has passed down to me.

I know this is the new FYAD-lite so it's wrong to actually like anything, and tearing people down is the joy of the anonymous hater; but I come from a long line of musicians (guitarists specifically) and I enjoy a good song. I do not apologize for my taste, my honesty, or the fact that I am earnest about my music and my instruments. I've been around this place a long time and I am used to the negativity.

I can love a complex piece from a guy like Vai (really, hating on a performer who graduated from Berklee and started out with Frank Zappa and P.I.L.) or anything by Nirvana or Bela Fleck, from three-chord simplicity to crazy progressive stuff, from single note solos to the most terrifying virtuosity (e.g. Tommy Emmanuel or Michael Hedges or Robben Ford), I just follow my ears and I love music. Piano music, classical music, old Hip-Hop, acoustic wizardry, searing country/bluegrass, whatever owns.

I love a vintage Fender or Gibson as much as I love my pointy, cheesy Ibanezes (they were very much in vogue when I got serious about playing and we knew they were cheesy then) and they hold a special place in my heart.

There is no accounting for taste, true, but my final word here is that I love my guitars like my own children, and I have devoted 27 years to collecting this gear and learning to make music with it.

Thanks for your time. It's nice to see my collection getting so much attention, even if it's mostly just Crapslock et. al loving with me because I like my Xbox.

:bravo2:

and that guitar is legit ugly. sorry

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Steve Vai is cool he is self aware and cultivates his image intentionally. How else do you become the guitarist behind the Wyld Stallyns?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Dr. Faustus posted:

Didn't read, don't care. Guitar still ugly. World spins on.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Yaldabaoth posted:

Going by quote count, Goons think the greatest crime you can commit against a guitar is paint it teal and put a loving handle on it.
It's Seafoam Green, not teal. It's based on an old car paint color Leo Fender used. Ford and Chevy both had versions, one was Seafoam Green and one was Surf Green.

Leo was a tightwad and used to buy up unused car paint at low prices to use on his guitars. It's a throwback to the surf era more than anything else.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
One thing I really like about Via's guitars is that he scallops the high frets which lets you run the action lower while being able to really grab the strings for bends. I have a ibanez 3750z and I wish it had the scalloped frets.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Razor blade on the 12th fret, but you can't slash your wrists with it. Fail.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

SearchForDelicious
May 29, 2008

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

i actually like these and considered buying this exact same one

am i a bad person

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Southern by looks, Korean by the grace of god

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

post your music asap

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Dr. Faustus posted:

sorry that your family line is a bunch of guitarists

probs should break the chain yourself and take up a respectable instrument

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

that's beautiful

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

bunky posted:

post your music asap
After you.

Dylan-D posted:

sorry that your family line is a bunch of guitarists

probs should break the chain yourself and take up a respectable instrument
Quoth "Dylan."

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

glandmine posted:

'sure I'll learn to play a guitar and do gay solos in 2014 when rap music exists' - some of you idiots

Hahaha rap isn't music dumbass

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

you must be confused; this isn't the serious ownage guitar thread

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ya know, i was just looking for the "kill bon jovi" on hetfield's old flying V and found this as a bonus:

:):haw:

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Wasn't steve vai the name of that gook from smashing pumpkins?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Predamaged new guitar!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Salt Fish posted:

Predamaged new guitar!

SO agreed. I hate relicing new guitars. It's just a poser move to establish fake cred.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Dr. Faustus posted:

SO agreed. I hate relicing new guitars. It's just a poser move to establish fake cred.

Lol r u for real

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

causticBeet posted:

Lol r u for real
No, I actually think it's a good idea to drop $6,000 on a brand new $2,000 guitar that just came off the assembly line and then had $4,000 of UV light and chiseling and finish crackling done to it to make it look like it's 40 years old; so I can look like I've been playing since I was in the womb to show you how awesome I am before I even play the first bar of the song.

"Look how many years' worth of cigarettes have burned my headstock before I bought it last week!"

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
You could have just said yes jfc

• Locked thread