Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

causticBeet posted:

You could have just said yes jfc
That would be too old GBS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Salt Fish posted:

Predamaged new guitar!
There can be only one Frankenstrat :argh:

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Nubile Hillock posted:

edit: bort, I think the guitar you posted is hella rad

God loving drat it

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

glandmine posted:

how old is the oldest acceptable age to like punk rock?

punk rock is old person music

so maybe like 100 or so

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 26, 2013

Funambulist
Aug 3, 2012

The Gloaming posted:

I, too, hate people who like Steve Vai. People who say that "G3" or whatever is the best band ever are always insufferable music snobs. Soon leads to being told how awful Kurt Cobain was.

i remember when i was hugely into prog metal and shred

i still thought steve vai was the dorkiest motherfucker on earth

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

Dr. Faustus posted:

SO agreed. I hate relicing new guitars. It's just a poser move to establish fake cred.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Dr. Faustus posted:

SO agreed. I hate relicing new guitars. It's just a poser move to establish fake cred.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Is that Andrew WK?

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Funambulist posted:

i remember when i was hugely into prog metal and shred

i still thought steve vai was the dorkiest motherfucker on earth

edit: gis'd "steve vai dumb guitar" and got this, which seems in line with the thread

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 26, 2013

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

remember to look for the frankstrat (tm) neckplate to insure you are getting the real mccoy, 1971 quarter not included

Funambulist
Aug 3, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

Is that Andrew WK?

think so

im hoping that was an ironypost because andrew wk fuckin rules

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

This is a legitimately cool guitar.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Dr. Faustus posted:

No, I actually think it's a good idea to drop $6,000 on a brand new $2,000 guitar that just came off the assembly line and then had $4,000 of UV light and chiseling and finish crackling done to it to make it look like it's 40 years old; so I can look like I've been playing since I was in the womb to show you how awesome I am before I even play the first bar of the song.

"Look how many years' worth of cigarettes have burned my headstock before I bought it last week!"

They're designed after famous artist guitars and some people want to own a replica of what that artist is using on stage. Or of a guitar they saw at Hard Rock or something. It's not to fake usage to try and get credit for the 'damage' on the guitar.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Noctis Horrendae posted:

i actually like these and considered buying this exact same one

am i a bad person

i think they look alright. i have a jackson flying v, although i prefer the Dinky style ones but this was free, anyway, if you usually play sitting down, the v's really really suck. if you want a cool "metal" guitar style then get one with the Explorer style IMO

also the guy who wrote the long serious post thinks he was gonna get owned because of clashing serious opinions because he's important or something and his thoughts matter and doesn't realize he's just harshing the buzz of posting ugly guitars, what a circus clown

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Horror Queefs posted:

i think they look alright. i have a jackson flying v, although i prefer the Dinky style ones but this was free, anyway, if you usually play sitting down, the v's really really suck. if you want a cool "metal" guitar style then get one with the Explorer style IMO

Flying V is a great guitar. Light, sits super comfortably with a strap, sounds good. Get one and play it standing up because thats how you should practice anyway.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
Steve Vai is really good at releasing albums with only one good song on them if that. And playing ugly guitars

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

comes along bort posted:

pretty much every "vintage" guitar looks stupid

Phantoms are awesome :colbert:

Funambulist
Aug 3, 2012

ZombieParts posted:

Steve Vai is really good at releasing albums with only one good song on them if that. And playing ugly guitars

i was listening to one of his albums way back when i was 17 and crazy about all that stuff

and this really dumb spoken word bit came on, in super deep serious voice

"WE MAY BE HUMAN, BUT WE'RE STILL ANIMALS"

and i went hahaha holy poo poo

has he gotten any less cringeworthy at trying to be Serious And Thought Provoking; like i remember the music was alright but the occasional Deep Thought From Steve Vai was just uhhhhh

Funambulist
Aug 3, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

Flying V is a great guitar. Light, sits super comfortably with a strap, sounds good. Get one and play it standing up because thats how you should practice anyway.

flying vs are pretty cool but im a giant baby who plays light comfortable guitars and not huge chunks of wood like les pauls

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Horror Queefs posted:

Salt Fish posted:

said it last page but bears repeating this isn't the serious ownage guitar thread. direct all discussion of the jackson king v, rhoades, dinky, soloist, warrior, kelly, ibanez xiphos, bc rich warbeast, dean ml, and associated guitars to the appropriate place

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

comes along bort posted:

said it last page but bears repeating this isn't the serious ownage guitar thread. direct all discussion of the jackson king v, rhoades, dinky, soloist, warrior, kelly, ibanez xiphos, bc rich warbeast, dean ml, and associated guitars to the appropriate place

Direct your directions to my butt

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ZombieParts posted:

They're designed after famous artist guitars and some people want to own a replica of what that artist is using on stage. Or of a guitar they saw at Hard Rock or something. It's not to fake usage to try and get credit for the 'damage' on the guitar.
Nope. Some are reliced to match specific instruments, but you can order relicing on anything from the Custom Shop, and if you think it's not for fake cred then I've got bad news for you.

http://www.fender.com/custom-shop/store/

Horror Queefs posted:

also the guy who wrote the long serious post
"Horror Queefs," how many posters singled you out and put up pics of your personal guitars in this thread to attack you for your taste in instruments? I can't help that I'm being stalked by console warriors.

Vai isn't for everyone, that's cool. It was a different time when he hit the scene. I don't exactly look to GBS for informed discussion of guitarists or their instruments.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 26, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Salt Fish posted:

Direct your directions to my butt

like i said the appropriate place

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Also every Dean guitar is hideous. Who thought it was a good idea to make a headstock that is nearly the same size as the guitar body?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

Nope. Some are reliced to match specific instruments, but you can order relicing on anything from the Custom Shop, and if you think it's not for fake cred then I've got bad news for you.

Fender is proud to announce a jewelry line for musicians and music enthusiasts who have an affinity for the passion of music combined with cutting edge fashion

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Dr. Faustus posted:

I didn't realize this was a thing

worse than pre-ripped jeans

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Salt Fish posted:

Also every Dean guitar is hideous. Who thought it was a good idea to make a headstock that is nearly the same size as the guitar body?

it works with the ml and Vs but yeah it's a little too big for any other instrument. they also have a dumb bc rich looking inline headstock

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

comes along bort posted:

a fuckin xiphos, you have got to be kidding me lol, also a warbeast? i have a jackson kelly bass and it's hella ugly. it does sound terrific, but that thing is so goddamn ugly i'd rather be caught in public with my squier vintage modified jazz bass

xiphos is so loving pointy

jesus christ that belongs in a head shop with the ninja stars, right next to a fine selection of water tobacco pipes ffs

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
/\/\/\/\/\/\
like i said, serious loving ownage

ZombieParts posted:

I didn't realize this was a thing

worse than pre-ripped jeans

http://www.fender.com/features/fender-wines/

Subjected to only the most particular of soil and climate conditions, harvested and filtered to discerning specifications, and stored exclusively in 40% new French Oak barrels. FenderŪ wines are produced with the same attentiveness and consistency as each of our historic instruments. Grown on hillsides throughout the Sonoma region of California, this 2012 vintage produced a collection of ripe, juicy wines that speak to the level of quality, prestige and character for which Fender instruments are known. Like our classic guitars and the sonic formulas from which they're born, each of these distinguished wines affirms that some things truly get better with age.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
one of the few upsides of the fact gen x/millenials will have on average far less wealth than their parents is nobody's going to be marketing a line of wines to people who buy 7 string universes to match their kikwear pipes

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

comes along bort posted:

one of the few upsides of the fact gen x/millenials will have on average far less wealth than their parents

Funambulist
Aug 3, 2012

comes along bort posted:

http://www.fender.com/features/fender-wines/

Subjected to only the most particular of soil and climate conditions, harvested and filtered to discerning specifications, and stored exclusively in 40% new French Oak barrels. FenderŪ wines are produced with the same attentiveness and consistency as each of our historic instruments. Grown on hillsides throughout the Sonoma region of California, this 2012 vintage produced a collection of ripe, juicy wines that speak to the level of quality, prestige and character for which Fender instruments are known. Like our classic guitars and the sonic formulas from which they're born, each of these distinguished wines affirms that some things truly get better with age.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Dr. Faustus posted:

someone out there shelled out $15,000 for a strat that happens to be weathered like eric clapton's and brags about it to everyone

gently caress guitarists

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

a+ for hard partying topping combo

also the xiphos rules :rock:

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Not outlandishly ugly, just dumb and stupid.

On the left is some kind of home made rough chiseled strat copy with poo poo brown paint that I rescued from a Salvation Army store. You could actually get a splinter playing it. Two of the pickups work.

On the right is a 90s Lotus mini strat copy with broken head nut so you can't put the low string on it. It has only one whammy spring in the back making the strings extra loose for tuneless skronking.

They both are playable I dunno, I'm a drummer.

Ralph Hurley fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 26, 2013

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

http://tailpeace.com/product_purchase.html

put that tail piece on that '66 SG because the original just doesn't say anything about your personality like a cattle skull or a big rear end chrome snake, which are your spirit familiars on the astral plane

EDIT: If you don't know what this is...you must be a drummer.

Harakiri Potter fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 26, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
i wonder if they do custom orders. i want a dolphin taipiece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

comes along bort posted:

Fender is proud to announce a jewelry line for musicians and music enthusiasts who have an affinity for the passion of music combined with cutting edge fashion
That jewelry is a total rip-off. A small sterling silver pendant on a chain shouldn't cost $600+.

• Locked thread