Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass

Scuzzm0nkey posted:

gently caress all the BC Rich and Dean haters in this thread. The pointier your guitar the more brutal your riffs, proven science. I'm shocked this thread made it this far without this steamer:

fight me

(actually i really hate the headstock on those but the rest is fine)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SearchForDelicious
May 29, 2008

Scuzzm0nkey posted:

gently caress all the BC Rich and Dean haters in this thread. The pointier your guitar the more brutal your riffs, proven science. I'm shocked this thread made it this far without this steamer:

lol stfu and go impale yourself with your pointy gay devil guitar

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Scuzzm0nkey posted:

I hope Bruce Springsteen literally rapes you to death.

With his telecaster shaped penis.

SearchForDelicious
May 29, 2008
teles are some of the best looking and sounding guitars out there

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

lol this thread is great. when i was a stupid idiot 17 year old who liked metal and was in a metal band i owned both of these.

i've a nice plain black gibson les paul studio since i was 16 that i never used to play at the time because it wasnt metal enough lol

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fax Sr posted:

fight me

(actually i really hate the headstock on those but the rest is fine)

at least you're not a headstock snob. I lol every time someone brings in a squire to the music shop I work at to get their squire label sanded off and replaced with a fender sticker.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Nutsngum posted:

I hope Bruce Springsteen literally rapes you to death.

With his telecaster shaped penis.

they should srsly only make teles with the born to run finish and black pickguard. it looks objectively the best.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

SearchForDelicious posted:

teles are some of the best looking and sounding guitars out there

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
realtalk teles are really versatile and good sounding guitars, great to learn to play electric with and good enough to keep

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?

Bolek posted:

Majority of guitarists are idiot superstitious children who think the wood their instrument is made out of matters in how it sounds coming from an amplifier so its not really surprising they have terrible taste occasionally

(it does)

also some of the people in here i'm surprised can identify a guitar by looking at it

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
doesn't it depend on the type of guitar, pickup and amp? What effect would a different wood have on a solid state amp that's picking up vibrations from the string?

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Nubile Hillock posted:

doesn't it depend on the type of guitar, pickup and amp? What effect would a different wood have on a solid state amp that's picking up vibrations from the string?

The effect of you justifying a 2000 dollar purchase

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Acquire Currency! posted:

realtalk teles are really versatile and good sounding guitars, great to learn to play electric with and good enough to keep

they fall within with the simpler=better design aesthetic, which is ideologically correct

then again technically so does van halen's frankenstrat

e: sucks fender/charvel don't offer a plain strat with just a bridge humbucker/single volume control without a doofy paint job

i mean you could just get it through allparts and it'd probably cost about the same, but still

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 26, 2013

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Acquire Currency! posted:

I kept mine maybe two weeks. It's a solid guitar and I get their appeal, but they have this kind of toy piano-ness to their sound that you just can't quite get rid of. It works okay for certain songs/genres, but it keeps the guitar from being universal enough for everyday use.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frankenstyle posted:

I kept mine maybe two weeks. It's a solid guitar and I get their appeal, but they have this kind of toy piano-ness to their sound that you just can't quite get rid of. It works okay for certain songs/genres, but it keeps the guitar from being universal enough for everyday use.

I feel you on that but I'm kinda biased because a tele fits what I like to play. I also run a big muff through some effects pedals to an Orange so my sound is basically soda.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Bolek posted:

The effect of you justifying a 2000 dollar purchase

Figured. Unless it's like an acoustic-electric I don't see why it matters at all. I re-did my buddy's "Maple" guitar once, and it turns out it was 2mm veneer over particle board (after I got like 3mm of epoxy coating/plastic "paint" off)

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

the most terrible guitar is one that isn't played, idgaf what it looks like if you're loving making music and improving yourself through playing it

the second most terrible guitar is whatever that guy in Creed played

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nubile Hillock posted:

Figured. Unless it's like an acoustic-electric I don't see why it matters at all. I re-did my buddy's "Maple" guitar once, and it turns out it was 2mm veneer over particle board (after I got like 3mm of epoxy coating/plastic "paint" off)
It does kinda matter, in that heavier and harder materials won't dampen the vibrations of the strings. Anyone that tells you they can tell the difference between alder and maple is fooling themselves, but if you make a guitar out of balsa it's going to sound like poo poo. As long as the material is heavy enough it'll work just fine; a block of solid bronze would work great as an electric guitar body.

It matters more if you have an old guitar with overly microphonic pickups because they'll pick up more than just string vibrations, they'll also sound like poo poo no matter what though.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

thelightguy posted:

the most terrible guitar is one that isn't played, idgaf what it looks like if you're loving making music and improving yourself through playing it

I always said if I ever got that good at the guitar, I'd play the stupidest-looking guitar I could find. The disconnect alone would cause a few minds to implode.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I always said if I ever got that good at the guitar, I'd play the stupidest-looking guitar I could find. The disconnect alone would cause a few minds to implode.

i think guys like grundlefoot and vai already beat you to that "mind blower"

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
This has been sitting in the window of my local pawn shop for at least two years now

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

There's nothing uglier than the late 60's early 70's era of Tiesco's and other trash Japan was making before they got their poo poo together.

Its amazing how these turds still fetch 2 to 3 hundred on eBay,

People want a vintage guitar so bad, they'll overlook the fact that these pawn shop specials make a modern Squier bullet seem like a custom shop master built strat by comparison.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

When it's time to farty I will always Farty Hard!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Why would you glue fig rolls onto a guitar?

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

exactly what i expect from a country that was nuked in anger x 2

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
sorry a lot of teiscos are awesome and i wont hear otherwise

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Fax Sr posted:

sorry a lot of teiscos are awesome and i wont hear otherwise

teisco beat vai to the punch

the prosecution rests, your honor

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
poo poo

SearchForDelicious
May 29, 2008

Harry in Rio posted:

these guitars aren't ugly though. quirky but charming and cool.

Funambulist
Aug 3, 2012

Harry in Rio posted:

1st one looks like a rejected prototype for the jazzmaster and jazzmasters rule

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
The only way wood density won't matter is if you're playing a digital amp. those can make a top of the line les paul and a $50 guitar bought at walmart sound exactly the same. Then you're getting into the elitist $2500 tube stack versus the $450 digital amp debate

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ZombieParts posted:

The only way wood density won't matter is if you're playing a digital amp. those can make a top of the line les paul and a $50 guitar bought at walmart sound exactly the same. Then you're getting into the elitist $2500 tube stack versus the $450 digital amp debate

yeah it's all gonna be irrelevant in 20 years when there's nothing but axe-fx/kemper/line 6 amps

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

ahahaha he changed her outfit!

Rockii
Mar 6, 2013

It's Mr. Steal Yo Power

It looks like if Epiphone made a signature guitar for Hot Topic, but its for Zakk Wylde who actually intentionally set out to make it as ugly and stupid as it looks because he got the idea from Billy Gibbons who also set out to make a noxious instrument that looks like it could double as a ship rudder.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ZombieParts posted:

The gibbis hath spoken. The gibbis knows that dead spots on the fretboard, attack, sustain, moisture content, wood density and mass, finish type and thickness, and least of all timbre are relevant to the quality of a guitar. Aesthetics matter. Wood is just wood, dumbass.

It is known.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Rockii posted:

It looks like if Epiphone made a signature guitar for Hot Topic, but its for Zakk Wylde who actually intentionally set out to make it as ugly and stupid as it looks because he got the idea from Billy Gibbons who also set out to make a noxious instrument that looks like it could double as a ship rudder.

That is originally a Bo Diddley signature guitar, later appropriated by Billy Gibbons into the the "Billy-Bo". That guitar shape was around for decades only to be revived recently. So don't blame Billy F. Gibbons, blame Bo Diddley.

Rockii
Mar 6, 2013

It's Mr. Steal Yo Power

Automatic Slim posted:

That is originally a Bo Diddley signature guitar, later appropriated by Billy Gibbons into the the "Billy-Bo". That guitar shape was around for decades only to be revived recently. So don't blame Billy F. Gibbons, blame Bo Diddley.

gently caress Bo Diddley

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

*listens to every track*

I clicked on all of your links and to be honest, I loved every minute of my exposure to your skills.
*i'm lying and didn't click on anything and you are a dweeb*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Harry in Rio posted:

must post an ugly guitar if you're gonna post music

there's nothing ugly about the Epi Masterbilt, even if it was made in an orwellian hellhole

but then there's this

go city name sports team

https://soundcloud.com/harryinrio/epimasterbilt-1

Ah yes the Cleveland Brown Note

• Locked thread