Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

bunky posted:

*i'm lying and I clicked on everything and I owe you an apology*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day

Dr. Faustus posted:

The gibbis hath spoken. The gibbis knows that dead spots on the fretboard, attack, sustain, moisture content, wood density and mass, finish type and thickness, and least of all timbre are relevant to the quality of a guitar. Aesthetics matter. Wood is just wood, dumbass.

It is known.

you are THE WORST, :getout:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

number one pta fan posted:

you are THE WORST, :getout:
Only ugly posters in this thread.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

haha you edited my post how funny. go back to musicians lounge and let all those dudes jerk off your sweet guitar licks until you die a lonely death.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i made a guitar thread once in musicians lounge, it was pretty sweet

Bolek
May 1, 2003

ZombieParts posted:

The only way wood density won't matter is if you're playing a digital amp. those can make a top of the line les paul and a $50 guitar bought at walmart sound exactly the same. Then you're getting into the elitist $2500 tube stack versus the $450 digital amp debate

youre a dumbo but it's ok you're in good company

Hwbrgdtse posted:

ahahaha he changed her outfit!

goddamn son iv'e been looking all over for an acoustic with a sweet, savory tone thats not too brigght how much

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Roland Synth guitar reporting in.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

bunky posted:

haha you edited my post how funny. go back to musicians lounge and let all those dudes jerk off your sweet guitar licks until you die a lonely death.
I am here by invitation (see pages one and two) so I might as well hang around and chill with you cool dudes.

Thanks for the compliment on my guitar licks. I'd love to hear your stuff sometime! Didn't you say you had posted works in progress somewhere? What gear did you play it on? Is it pretty? Any ugly guitars in it?

Link me some, it's only fair. I shared, it's your turn!

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
i'm not even convinced that having a set neck or neck-thru guitar is any better than an inexpensive bolt-on. plus repairs are easier with a bolt-on.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Fax Sr posted:

i'm not even convinced that having a set neck or neck-thru guitar is any better than an inexpensive bolt-on. plus repairs are easier with a bolt-on.
I doubt you could hear the difference in a band situation, but acoustically you'd probably notice the neck thru resonates better. Depends on a lot of variables, though.
Meant to add, you're definitely correct: repairs and upkeep are so much easier and cheaper with bolt-on necks. Some people just won't settle for less than neck-through, though. Musicians are finicky.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

I am here by invitation (see pages one and two) so I might as well hang around and chill with you cool dudes.

Thanks for the compliment on my guitar licks. I'd love to hear your stuff sometime! Didn't you say you had posted works in progress somewhere? What gear did you play it on? Is it pretty? Any ugly guitars in it?

Link me some, it's only fair. I shared, it's your turn!

you reek of trying. it's cute but sad. back away slowly, pumpkin.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

bunky posted:

you reek of trying. it's cute but sad. back away slowly, pumpkin.
Pumpkin?

Who did you say is trying?

edit: Wait, are you coming onto me?

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 27, 2013

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Pray Queer
TIESCO

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

guys

stop fighting and look at carmen miranda. quite a dish!

put your flags down this is a party motherfuckers

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Harry in Rio posted:

guys

stop fighting and look at carmen miranda. quite a dish!

put your flags down this is a party motherfuckers

Pray Queer
TIESCO

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

Cobalt60 posted:

Pray Queer
TIESCO

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

Pumpkin?

Who did you say is trying?

edit: Wait, are you coming onto me?

i'm always coming on to everyone. even you, "try-hard guitar guy."

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

bunky posted:

i'm always coming on to everyone. even you, "try-hard guitar guy."
Ok, whew. When a dude with an Aatrek fruit-hat calls me, "Pumpkin," it gives me a serious case of the, "Hey dude I'm 42 and, yeah, I'm into Star Trek but trust me, the stars won't align for us."

But you see, now you finally understand the "You Suck" on my old Kramer Striker 3000ST from 1988.
It was to motivate me to try hard. And I did, and the results, however feeble they might be, are online right here for you to pick apart. You won't, though; because you have nothing to come back with except hollow, catty, try-hard "the-bitch-is-back" retorts. To the back of the line with you.

Anything else you want to say, save it for PMs; because you've played your hand here and your bluff failed. Adios, Senora. Vayos con Dios.

SearchForDelicious
May 29, 2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

Ok, whew. When a dude with an Aatrek fruit-hat calls me, "Pumpkin," it gives me a serious case of the, "Hey dude I'm 42 and, yeah, I'm into Star Trek but trust me, the stars won't align for us."

But you see, now you finally understand the "You Suck" on my old Kramer Striker 3000ST from 1988.
It was to motivate me to try hard. And I did, and the results, however feeble they might be, are online right here for you to pick apart. You won't, though; because you have nothing to come back with except hollow, catty, try-hard "the-bitch-is-back" retorts. To the back of the line with you.

Anything else you want to say, save it for PMs; because you've played your hand here and your bluff failed. Adios, Senora. Vayos con Dios.

*dr faustus plays a loud as gently caress divebomb through a marhsall stack, exits thread to thunderous applause*

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
more like tasteful, almost note perfect recreation of jeff skunk baxter's solo in rikki don't lose that number

Bolek
May 1, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz3JhKXJDTM

Bolek
May 1, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiIm3tjCi7U

Bolek
May 1, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAZdiJGWdfI

Bolek
May 1, 2003

and of course https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w37MSOnRhhA

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
i saw this steve vai thing vh1 classic played years back and i guess it was the part of the show where he farts around with the whammy bar. anyway he goes on this rant about britney spears for some reason even though it was definitely in the mid-2000s, so past when she was in the public spotlight or anyone normal gave a poo poo about her.

then he ends by undermining his autist spiel by saying she's okay all music is good, but adds that he bets "she can't do this" then makes one last triumphant fart noise with his whammy bar because he a man in his late forties totally showed that chick half his age what's what because she didn't spend her teenage years studiously learning the subtle mechanics of the floyd rose double-locking floating tremolo system

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Photex posted:

Roland Synth guitar reporting in.

The G707 is awesome as hell and the only acceptable guitar synthesizer

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
also this is the sickest divebomb ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG9esxpAUP0

SearchForDelicious
May 29, 2008

this song loving rules

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Fax Sr posted:

only matters on bass. guitar is way more forgiving

ugly as hell. yeah, i own one

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

comes along bort posted:

i saw this steve vai thing vh1 classic played years back and i guess it was the part of the show where he farts around with the whammy bar. anyway he goes on this rant about britney spears for some reason even though it was definitely in the mid-2000s, so past when she was in the public spotlight or anyone normal gave a poo poo about her.

then he ends by undermining his autist spiel by saying she's okay all music is good, but adds that he bets "she can't do this" then makes one last triumphant fart noise with his whammy bar because he a man in his late forties totally showed that chick half his age what's what because she didn't spend her teenage years studiously learning the subtle mechanics of the floyd rose double-locking floating tremolo system

lmao. cool.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

comes along bort posted:

don't know why you're all mad at steve vai

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
wasn't really mad more mildly amused

SearchForDelicious posted:

this song loving rules

you know it's legit because the tape fucks up a minute or so in and they kept it when mastering due to budget constraints

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 27, 2013

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Some guitars have entirely too many loving strings. Korn started it with the loving 7 strings (because when you're in drop A it's important to still hit dem high notes right guys?), but then

no

poo poo

stop

JUST GET A PIANO ALREADY YOU PRETENTIOUS FUCKS

speaking of korn here's fieldy with a 15 string bass. 5 tripled groups, like a 12-string guitar. for that bright, chiming bass tone you want in a nu-metal band.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

comes along bort posted:

because he a man in his late forties totally showed that chick half his age what's what because she didn't spend her teenage years studiously learning the subtle mechanics of the floyd rose double-locking floating tremolo system transcribing Frank Zappa's music to notation, sending the sheet music and a demo tape from New Jersey to join his band, getting accepted until Frank found out he was too young to play adult clubs, but was told to come back when he was 21. In the meantime he went to the Berklee school of music, learned to sight-read, used that skill to learn piccolo and violin pieces, and then went on to play the coolest version of Paganini's (Violin) Caprice #5 ever committed to film on an electric guitar.

(For the uninitiated, Ralph is shown playing it, but Vai actually recorded it for the movie.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8eymimAV8k

Partially fixed.

O, and all you 7-string people? Yeah, that was Vai and Ibanez in 1989 when he first released it on an album, Korn was just forming. Look up "Passion and Warfare." Fucknag, the Chapman Stick has been around since at least 1974.

Bolek posted:

don't know why you're all mad at steve vai

Because they are ignorant as gently caress-all. Vibrato-arm tricks were novel and fun back then. So were crazy paint jobs, monkey-grips, and features no Strat-style had ever had like deep cutaways, cool tremelo routs, and awesome 24-fret necks with scalloped frets, tilted-back headstocks for better string tension, and great access to the high notes. But remember this is the ugly guitar thread so the era or the features mean nothing.

While I'm at it, let me tell you about a band called King's X whose bassist played a 12-string Hamer bass. They are the band that inspired all the drop-tuning bands you've pretty much ever heard of:
http://www.12stringbass.net/doug.htm

No offense, Bort, I love a few Steely Dan tunes but they're before my time. I like the solo to "Hey Nineteen," though. The chord progression is even cooler.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 27, 2013

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Cannot Find Server posted:

The G707 is awesome as hell and the only acceptable guitar synthesizer

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

comes along bort posted:

nothing riles up a metal crowd like making fun of pop music icons

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

bunky posted:

I clicked on all of your links and to be honest, I loved every minute of my exposure to your skills.
*i'm lying and didn't click on anything and you are a dweeb*

I'm gonna kinda almost take up for Dr. Faustus, for a second or two. I gave a fair listen to all of his links, and he really does have some respectable skills. He's a good lesson for aspiring guitarists, and that lesson is:

There are two types of guitar players. One type is like my old friend Mike. Mike was competent but not great at the instrument. But he was dedicated, reliable, and fun to be around. For over a decade I never performed live or recorded a track without Mike being there, and Mike never missed a mortgage or house payment and he filled that house with all the toys a boy could want. Mike was a team player.

The other type of guitar player is the Scarlett O'Hara drama queen that minces around the tour bus pissing and moaning and generally making everybody miserable. Sure they have technical skills, but after three days on the bus you realize you don't care. So you hand them an envelope with bus fair and ditch them at the next truck stop. Years later you see him working at Lowes stocking lumber and bragging about his mad shredding skillz to his twenty year old shift manager. You decide not to say "Hi" because you don't remember his name. It's probably "Dick".

So you kids remember that if you want to make a living making music, the person you are is just as important as musician you are. And most importantly, don't be a Dr. Faustus.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Dec 27, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

O, and all you 7-string people? Yeah, that was Vai and Ibanez in 1989 when he first released it on an album, Korn was just forming. Look up "Passion and Warfare."

vai only had one made to transcribe the clarinet part on mo n herb's vacation for zappa. he never used it for what the most esteemed hoshino gakki mfg company designed it, just more namby-pamby weedly-wee nonsense. also vai is in large part responsible for foisting devin townsend on the world so gently caress him a million times over for that on top of being a lovely musician

morbid angel were in fact the first to use 7 strings for sick riffs. we should give credit where it's due

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhj2P5MKvgQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djF1AfY2O9Y

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Um, you guys ever heard of russian gypsies from the 1800s?? Noobs in this thread talking about corn or whatever...

edit:

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ZombieParts posted:

nothing riles up a metal crowd like making fun of pop music icons

dunno if i'd call them "metal". it's mostly the kind of people too weenyish for dream theater, but not secure enough in their masculinity to go see george benson

Salt Fish posted:

Um, you guys ever heard of russian gypsies from the 1800s?? Noobs in this thread talking about corn or whatever...

to be fair the russian instruments largely used open tunings like three courses of triads based an octave apart

no way jonathan davis could scat over that kind of thing

• Locked thread