Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

gently caress Henry Juszkiewicz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Did reddit make that? I can see them calling it The Upvote

Oh no, it's real. I have taken this exact guitar off a rack at a music store and held it. It was such a hideous abomination I had to touch it to make sure it was really there and that it wasn't just me having a stroke and imagining it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Harry in Rio posted:

i'm pretty sure it broke like this, and the neck joint held, exposing yet another flaw in a gibson that cost probably $6000 dollar ffs

Yep. A $2,000 Gibson is a nice $800 guitar but a piece of poo poo $2,000 guitar. A $6,000 Gibson is a nice $1,200 guitar but a piece of poo poo $6,000 guitar.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 31, 2013

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

White Dog Eggs posted:

A bit kinder than I would have been, but this is pretty spot on. Post-1994 PRS guitar are a loving rip off too.

Yeah, for $6,000 you can get just about any of the best luthiers in the world to build you your dream guitar with exact customization on basically every possible customizable part.

For $3,500-$5,000 you can buy a top-of-the-line production guitar from basically any of the best guitar companies in the world, any of which would laugh the best most expensive Gibson you can find these days out of the building.

Gibson's prices are ludicrous by basically any measurable degree.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Every time I almost write Zakk Wylde off as a ridiculous cartoon redneck biker version of his former self again I hear about him doing something kick rear end like that and just decide to keep liking the hell out of him.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Oh cool, so that's where Trapper Keeper got its cover artist.

Digital Madness

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Rhopunzel posted:

Yep, same. I'd hang out on guitar forums where they'd gush over Dream Theater and jazz fusion and I tried to play along with it but I just couldn't. I got sick of trying to convince myself I liked prog rock or wanted to play it and was like gently caress this I'm gonna play things I like.

e: they'd gush over poo poo like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzBht22d4ts

double e:

this was supposedly faked/embellished and he said it was actually water. though the man literally took a chainsaw to his guitar so who knows

I think a lot of guitar players go through this. I definitely did. I have managed to find exactly one shredder with decent phrasing. Guthrie Govan. And as expressive as the guy is, it's still basically impossible to sit through an entire song on one of his records.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUZK9dasP8s

That video shows the guy has some decent feel and musicality despite all the notes, but it's just him messing around over a backing track. His actual album is way more experimental and he's a lot more acrobatic on the fretboard... so in other words it's basically soulless and unlistenable. If you ever want to clear every girl out of a room, put a shredder's album on. It is the musical equivalent of watching a drag race. Kind of awe inspiring, but ultimately pretty pointless, and almost entirely misses the big picture.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Bolek posted:

lot of people ashamed of their musical taste itt

Goon post ahead:

Getting into shred is like getting into a modern Elder Scrolls game. The flash and technicality is at first overwhelming and awe inspiring and really impressive, enough so that all you do is just kind of wander around with your mouth hanging open because of how impressive everything seems, but over time you start realizing that the flash is all there is to it. There's no depth at all, and pretty soon all you can see is just how shallow and empty it is, so you put it down and ignore it.

So yeah nobody is saying they're ashamed of music they used to like, they're just saying that they liked it once upon a time but have since realized it's stupid!

As for Vai, yeah his music is dumb but the guy has the coolest music room ever and it's perfect for this thread:

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 31, 2013

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Ed Roman is the biggest douche rear end in a top hat that has ever been involved with guitars in any capacity. Think about the heights of that achievement for a second.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Rhopunzel posted:

Someone at one of the guitar forums I went to swore he was a piece of poo poo and that he sold fake guitars. v:v:v

I can't say anything about the quality of any of his guitars, but what I do know is that both a good friend of mine and I have called him before with the intent to buy from him. As in he didn't even have to sell us on anything. We just wanted some information before we made our purchases. In both instances, on separate days, he answered the phone with an immediate, horrible attitude, like he just couldn't believe the audacity of someone interrupting his day to try to give him money in exchange for an instrument.

My friend asked him about whether a guitar he was interested in was in stock and without another word Ed literally interrupted with "And just how do you plan to pay for this thing, kid? Are mommy and daddy going to buy it for you?" My friend was in high school at the time and had a relatively well-paying job so he could definitely afford whatever it was he was interested in. A few days before that, I had called in and asked about one of the brands of guitars he was carrying at the time, which he immediately told me were all pieces of poo poo, which honestly wouldn't be so bad on its own because hey it's just an opinion, but then he tried to sell me on I believe it was one of his Steinberger knockoffs, you know, those headless 80s style guitars with just enough body wood to house the electronics and nothing else, and would not even entertain the idea of discussing other guitars with me, even when I asked about them directly. He just kept deflecting back to whatever he wanted to talk about, which by the way was not even close to what I was looking for in any capacity, which I tried to explain to him more than once. Needless to say neither one of us bought anything from the guy.

I wish this was hyperbole and that I was exaggerating. Call it anecdotal if it makes you feel any better. I really wanted to like a guy with a guitar store that kick rear end, but what a douche.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 31, 2013

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Here's some hot licks I just laid down in case anybody is still up for a bitchin' guitar-off. I picked this particular song for its soulful emotional content.

Flight of the Bumble Bee at 1400 BPM. Starts at 1:15.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE-T__qtTVY

Beat that. Do you have what it takes?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

I need this 9 string guitar so I can play metal using just the two lowest strings, 5th fret and below only.

edit: hey look an even uglier, even stringier guitar.

13 count em 13 strings. Gosh just think of how heavy the metal coming out of that sweet axe could be.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 2, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Wata can play whatever she wants though :swoon:

Christ look how huge that Les Paul looks next to her. Is she like three feet tall?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

White Dog Eggs posted:

I made this, you may have a point.

Edit: Holy poo poo that's the 3rd time I've posted this. Enough is enough.

Nah it's uglier than that surfboard guitar that gets posted every third post so you're good.

And now for two more beauts. See if you can spot the common theme:

Just looking at them makes me feel like the 2nd amendment is even more protected now.

edit: bonus: Maybe nsfw:

:nsfw::nsfw:

edit edit: Holy poo poo boys we've struck oil!

Here's a loving site that named itself "Awesome Guitars Beautiful Guitars" and it's about what you'd expect based on what we've seen so far. Hell yes.

Some examples:

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 3, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

This one is great. It's like it was purpose-built to part 50+ year old dentist/lawyer classic rock guitar players from their money.

Just think how great Carry On My Wayward Son would sound on that thang.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Back up. What is this.

Please tell me somebody somewhere for real thinks these are cool.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 3, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Think I'd rather hang out with Ed Roman.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

That said I prefer the spacing of a 22 fret instrument (although I guess it's only because 24 fret instruments are the exception rather than the rule)

:sperg:
There is no difference in the relative placement of frets on a 22 or 24 fret instrument. They don't stretch out the scale to fit in two more frets, they move the neck pickup towards the bridge a little bit and add 2 more frets where the 22nd fret left off.

I think you're referring to scale length, which is a variable independent of the number of frets an instrument will have.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 4, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

HEY GUYS I BOUGHT ONE OF THESE ONE TIME AS A JOKE OK WHY IS THIS ENTIRE THREAD NOTHING BUT A PERSONAL VENDETTA AGAINST ME ME ME MEEEEEEEEE LETS HAVE A GUITAR OFF

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

White Dog Eggs posted:

No idea what I'm going to do with the thing once it's built though....

Paint it seafoam green and sell it to King Of The Thread.

He'll buy it because he loves ugly guitars.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
This is actually a very well made, very good playing, very good sounding, very expensive guitar.

But good lord.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Rhopunzel posted:

oh btw while i'm here, can anyone recommend me a decent enough guitar cable and strap on amazon? the guy who shipped my guitar didn't include the arm for the floyd rose, so i'm just ordering another one on amazon and figured i'd grab those too

I found you something. It fits right in with the thread, too:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0007WQZGY/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?qid=1388960401&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

bonus:

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 5, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

iostream.h posted:

hot r not?

I actually don't mind that. I've also never really seen a transparent black that I liked but that's just subtle enough that it works. The cream P90's look good against that finish too.

I Might Be Adam posted:

Does the seam showing on those quilted maple tops bother anyone else but me?

I've never really thought about it. I always assumed it's done for the symmetry. Maybe it's done because it means you can start with a more narrow, and therefore cheaper, piece of wood? Either way, I've seen guitars that have fancy tops without the seam and to be honest I like the seam more.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 7, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Fair Hallion posted:

don't think I've ever seen a Strat with the matt gold (anodized?) pickguard... it's more of a vintage Jazzmaster thing isn't it?
Looks goofy on a strat. That guitar would be improved 100% with just a black pickguard (maybe even single ply so there's no white outline)
Something like:

Really? I've always hated black on black strats, especially with maple fretboards. My brain can only focus on all the metal screws and components as opposed to the contours of the wood, and a pickguard the same color as the guitar really only breaks up an otherwise clean looking surface.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Fair Hallion posted:

then sorry about your brain I guess

but seriously, what colour would look better ?
Red or tort would stink, white would make it look like a guitar hero controller

Actually I think out of those three, tortoise would be best... not that it would look good relative to most other good looking guitars.

Actually I think the biggest problem is the maple fretboard. Put a rosewood fretboard on there and I think a white pickguard would be best:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Prawned posted:

I'm only on page 13, but I just wanted to say thanks to the thread for causing Dr Faustus to have a major loving autsie attack.

You're only on page 13?

You haven't seen anything near peak autist yet.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

White Dog Eggs posted:

Oh yea, Guitar companies will milk that poo poo for all it's worth, but I just never heard about loving tone-paint. The PAF pickup fetish is all kind of hilarious too, I've had one person tell me that new PAF pickups aren't as good because all the new magnets have too much radiation in them so the electrons don't flow as well :shrek:

You know, I go back and fourth about whether the home stereo audiophile industry or the the guitar industry is crazier and more filled to the brim with snake oil.

At this point I'm settling on them being about the same. The only reason audiophiles seem more insane is because they generally put a lot more money into their retarded and misinformed beliefs.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

comes along bort posted:

i see you've never been in the market for a two rock, klon, or dumble

Haha. You know, I was actually fortunate enough to get to play a Dumble Overdrive Special + Dumble vertical 2x12 cab last summer. And to be honest, and I'd probably be murdered for saying this in front of the wrong person, I really wasn't impressed at all. Yes, it was able to pick up every tiny little detail and nuance I put to the fretboard, so you definitely could call it a very expressive amp, but the way it did that was by emphasizing the mids to such a ridiculous, unbalanced degree that I couldn't dial the amp to sound like I wasn't playing through a megaphone. The overdrive channel was just the most raw (not in a good way to my ears at least) overdriven sound I've ever heard. Maybe it would sound better in a mix, so you'd heard it behind a good mic and preamp compressing the poo poo out of everything on top of hefty post eq, but the "Dumble in the room" experience was totally lackluster for me.

The clean channel was better and definitely what I'd call usable, but it was nothing I haven't heard blackface Fender amps and even several Plexi clones do significantly better.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 8, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Sire Oblivion posted:

I love SRV but no way in loving poo poo am I going to ever try and play like him, the sheer fact that he used 13s is ridiculous.

Not to mention that everybody can spot an SRV wannabe from a mile away and nobody respects them. The best complement they'll ever hope to get is "hey man you sound just like another guitar player who's already done it and done it better than you ever will."

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

comes along bort posted:

haha totally, i had the same reaction playing one once as well. it sounded like a fizzier mesa mk1. sounded okay for dumb white guy blues which was probably what it was designed for, but bleh

This is especially hilarious because

A Mesa/Boogie Mark I costs about this much vs a Dumble which costs around this much.

lol

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 8, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Howard Alexander Dumble, ladies and gentlemen...

Only the finest of amps from the gooniest of amp builders.

vvv holy poo poo yes. It is an entire video of concentrated what the gently caress. And hey, there's even an ugly guitar or two in it!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 8, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Even Mr. Dumble, excuse me, "Dr. D" heyyyyyy :cool: is a full-of-poo poo audiophile who fails to understand the basic physics of his own products.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 8, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Wonder how long it'll be before a belt buckle or stray Indian headdress feather gets caught on that trigger.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I don't know if Henry Kaiser can actually play or not but he sounds like one of those guys who just refuses to try to put time in and learn to develop technique with his instrument, so instead he just demands to be taken as seriously as anybody else, so he brute forces around the no-talent thing by adopting a lame, hilariously pretentious beatnik style of presentation to try and cover the fact that he is the guitar equivalent of a toddler banging on pots and pans.

edit: found another guntar

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

I can buy that there's nothing intrinsically "special" about one type of wood over another, but there's no way what a guitar is made of doesn't have an effect on the tone. Don't get me wrong, I think a guitar's pickups probably make up the vaaaaast majority of the overall tone at least, but make two guitars, all things identical except one is made from something like mahogany or maple and one guitar made out of thin, hollow plastic, they're going to sound different, even through an amp. Maybe not a super compressed and chorused-out distortion monster like whatever the djent stick was played through, but a relatively clean amp I'd bet there would be a little difference at least.

I would be happy to have this disproven to me so I can rearrange my priorities when I look for guitars to buy though, but I don't think it will be.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

comes along bort posted:

is that electrical guitar company?

the guitar they made for buzz from the melvins is alright, even if they are kinda travis bean ripoffs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M648mDUbf54

Wow this video is incredibly depressing. What a sad lonely rear end in a top hat.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Fair Hallion posted:

guitars custom made for Man O War...
by none other than our dearest ED ROMAN

Look at that guitar in the middle. When the guitar is being played, wouldn't that rear strap button face upwards? Because if it is, lol at having to catch your guitar from falling out of the strap every 2 minutes.

Hell even if you put in strap locks, the screw would eventually come back up and out of the guitar from the weight.

Great design, Ed.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 13, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Mr. Mallory posted:

im really late to this thread but it should have ended here. this thing is ugly as poo poo
the guy that plays it is ugly and sucks really bad
and hes a weird creep. and he has really weird fake teeth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suXXUti2kik

so bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaIIqxS6W6o

I am speechless. This is unbelievable.

This guy needs an account. Pronto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

• Locked thread