Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

1962 jazz bass bound in leather

that looks so loving gross to hold and to play

*peels arm skin off of bass like an rear end off a couch*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

if you use tabs you should probably kill yourself

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

thread challenge; show me a five string bass that isn't goofy and retarded

mtd kingston

NOT LTD

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

can we go back to posting the surfboard guy :colbert:

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Dolphin posted:

that's nothing, this guitar has 47 strings

my university orchestra sometimes plays pieces that call for a harp. so we usually hire this girl to come in and do that.

first time she came everyone was like "wow what a hottie :eyepop: " and a bunch of awkward squiddy orchestra dudes tried hitting on her for awhile

then i noticed the angry man giving people the deathglare from off stage - her father, as she was a highschool student, and those dudes figured that out real quick

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

this is a tromba marina. it is a medieval and renaissance era instrument. it's a big ugly box with one string. you can only play natural harmonics.

have fun!

rare photo of worthless tromba player

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

bootsy is awesome but i never understood what he needed those 5 pickups for

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Cobalt60 posted:

Thread challenge 2: Absolute maximum number of pickups.
Humbuckers count as one pickup, piezo's and midi count, knobs and switches don't matter. Guitar and bass entries welcome.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Dewgy posted:

that one was like $110 five or six years ago and i don't know what the hell i'm doing is why the bridge isn't shaped

actually that bridge looks fine to me. violins are pretty small and their bridges aren't usually shaped and rounded off as much as cello bridges

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

what the hell is that cutaway that cuts into the body right near where the fingerboard terminates?

e: and alvarez makes weird electric guitars? i thought they just made acoustics. i own one of their mahogany top models

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Manky posted:

I've never heard an electric violin played through anything other than minimally EQ'd house PA systems and low-end guitar combos/powered speakers and they just sound awful. I have no idea what amplification you need but maybe that's most of the problem

yeah if you are amplifying a violin or something like that you usually need to run it through a preamp or something like that before you DI into a PA. i use one of those little fishman guys to do a little preliminary eqing and to invert phase if i need to, otherwise all your overtones will just sound horrible

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

White Dog Eggs posted:

I just saw this on ebay and.... I'm considering it.

Edit: I mean, just look at this loving thing. I can't hate it. God help me I want it.

goddamnit dude do not buy that. it looks like a goddamn gourd.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Troglyfe posted:

Let's just get this one out of the way, then.

Garbage: the instrument
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7gXLqMe5Bw

My friend brought a tiny version of one of those things into my conducting class the other week. I think it's hilarious and adorable and a pretty interesting idea for a midi instrument! The fretless fingerboard is pretty cool!

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Thanks craigslist.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

why would you do that to a violin, dan trueman

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Gilgameshback posted:

Is this guitar designed for some new, unheard-of type of dad?

A gross squiddy sound engineer girl in my conducting class has this exact guitar. She's terrible.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Jumping in on stringchat.

Cello strings are like retardedly expensive. A good set can cost you anywhere from $100 - $200 and up. There are also a crazy amount of different string materials and methods of construction. Top strings are usually steel or nickel or silver or tungsten (all the rage when they came out like 10 years ago) while lower strings can be any of those or brass or copper, even. Also, some players opt for gut strings to get a period sound which requires slightly different neck setup.

My current teacher told me a story about how he was in the pit orchestra for les mis or something a while back, when tungsten strings were really popular. He had gut strings on his lower two. The cellist next to him leans over and asks, are those gut strings? He answers yes. The other cellist immediately responds "WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!"

yeah. theres plenty of gear sperging in classical string instruments too. dont get me started on bows.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

loving lmao at whoever wrote this

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Clapton was also a gigantic racist

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Fun fact about Zach Hill, he drums for infamous scary rap band Death Grips. Who are awesome. Unfortunately I have never seen them even though I bought a ticket to see them a couple years ago, and then that show was cancelled and rescheduled a year later, and then they cancelled that too, so I don't think I'll ever seen them

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Dirt posted:

Also, post more Paul Gilbert.

this owns

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Is that a speaker or a big weird circular pickup

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

my old roommate is a total ibanez fanboy. he owns an RG and now his main guitar is from their artist series. he also wears an ibanez shirt all the time.

glad he's no longer my roommate

e: and yeah it's true about bassists and Natural Wood Finishes. i'm actually about to have the paint stripped off of my jazz bass and then replaced with a nice red wood stain

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

the split output on the bass big muff pi is the Best :eyepop:

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

So, ugly guitars thread, I would like a verdict once and for all.

The Gibson The Grabber

Yes, a Gibson bass from the 70s. Ugly? Elegant? The pickup slides up and down within that square. Gimmicky or brilliant?

The headstock says THE GRABBER on it.

e: my buddy bought one a few weeks ago.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

I hate hoffners and the only reason they are still around is big paul. They are the worst offenders of the ding dingy tone

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Looks like a knockoff pokemon holographic.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

crikster posted:

When I saw Dillinger Escape Plan oin 2004, when Greg first joined and before the 2nd album, those guitar players had the really pointy headstocks and would run around violently thrashing the headstock right in my loving face. It was frightening. Greg put his hand on my shoulder with all his weight, that man is an ape.

Dillinger is insane. I hear they just toured with Tera Melos. God those shows must have been nuts.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Can we talk about how good Tera Melos is. Those guys are ridiculous.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

the guitarist of tera melos is selling this :regd13:

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

he just said "i'm selling this" in the caption so you can join the bidding war in the comments

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

muike posted:

for how much pls tell me

this is up for bidding now

e: :barf:

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Floyd Roses are always disgusting

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

more from facebook

quote:

Best reasonable offer gets this 84' BC Rich NJ Mockibgbird with custom painting and custom hardware fresh set if DR Neon multi colors 10's set up.

the artwork, the skull pots, the neon strings... it has it all

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Having monitors helps everybody tremendously, I really can't stress that enough

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

someone explain to me what is going on with this guitar

e: yes this is the same person with the bart guitar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

oops did i accidentally post a Good Guitar in this thread

i honestly couldn't tell, the double-reverse leftiness threw me off in addition to the fact that the guitar looks all wobbly and lumpy

• Locked thread