Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
A short-scale 7-string? I wonder what the intended tuning was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
http://www.rondomusic.com/al3010se122ts.html
I love Rondo Music's willingness to build every drat thing under the sun but I'm really drawing a blank on who the target market for a fretless 12-string guitar would be.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Sometimes I wonder if Nile is death metal's Spinal Tap.

(The problem of course is that extreme metal is already so ridiculous that you can't really parody it, Impaled Northern Moonforest-style silliness aside.)

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
5-course or 10-course?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Thorpe posted:

10-course :getin:

What's the tuning on that monster?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

If I watch that second one long enough will it eventually turn into Rebel Meets Rebel, or does it stay lame the whole time?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Iirc the first few slayer albums were made with an eq pedal and a rat plugged into a JCM800

Just tried this in Amplitube, it sounded pretty nice -- for a given value of "nice", anyway.
I also screwed around with their Big Muff analog and I had the damnedest time finding a setting between "off" and "gently caress EVERYTHING :black101:"
Bad modeling or is that how real Big Muffs are too?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I was getting some nice Sabbath-y sounds out of it I liked, it just had no dynamics whatsoever. Even with input volume way down and the volume on my guitar almost all the way off it was still ALL THE GAIN:black101: until I turned the gain knob down to about 2, and then it was MOST OF THE GAIN:black101:. I don't think it's an Amplitube problem, their Rat knockoff reacted to dynamics just fine.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Which does he have more of, boutique Tube Screamers or Klons?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Fair Hallion posted:

That said, are you sure you want to make stickers on your guitar (semi) permanent? (well nothing's permanent with enough sanding but sealing makes it a greater pain to remove)
A nice belt buckle-induced patina will just make it more punk rock.
Also, if they're quality stickers they might last on their own anyway. I put a big sticker right on the arm cut of my first bass and the drat thing is still there 20+ years later, arguably in better shape than the actual paint.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I thought the guitar already died in the early 80s, and then again in the mid 90s. Is it triple dead now?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
The real tragedy is that those guys would be pretty good if they took that crap off and stopped acting like dipshits and just sang songs like normal people.

Edit: I think my main problem with this is that their gimmick and their music just don't match up at all. They're brass age robots but all they do is play acoustic guitars and sing? If they had a calliope and a hydraulic drum machine you could at least admire their commitment but as it is all they are is the Kingston Trio in KISS makeup.

BDA fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 26, 2017

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Is "Wild Thing" really a song you can play badly? All I can think of is "forgot how to finger the chords because you've only been playing guitar for half an hour".

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
That Floyd looks like it isn't routed at all and is just sitting on the top. Am I looking at it wrong, or is it extreme cargo cult engineering?
I'm also a fan of the extremely out-of-place Danelectro headstock and the much-too-round fretboard radius. That thing really is a visual feast.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Concatenation posted:

I don't know how I feel about this.
They look like poo poo hth

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

NonzeroCircle posted:

I think it was either Dimebag or Kerry King who used a ten band eq pedal set to 'frowny' with the low and high cut right down and the mids boosted to max into the amp with pretty much the reverse settings on the amp eq.
I've been trying to get a classic Slayer tone in Amplitube. The spiky mids are easy but balancing the low end between flabby and brittle has been tricky. I'll have to give the "take it away, then put it back" approach a try.

Edit: Is that the "Metal Muff with Top Boost" or is that a different pedal?

BDA fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 22, 2017

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
http://picosong.com/vyVF/ First attempt. It was crazy harsh at first but then I tried switching to both pickups (whaaaat) and I think it ended up pretty decent.

Well. Decently Slayer-ish, which is not a normal person's "decent".
It might actually be a little too distorted, I'll have to do some more tweaking.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I've heard the same thing about the tenor saxophone (minus the stringed part, obviously). All I know is I never want to hear a Stirring Horn Theme ever again. No other instrument has been so thoroughly ruined by soundtrack hacks.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

KozmoNaut posted:

While I like the idea of being able to plug a guitar into a boombox as a makeshift guitar amp, I wish they would have chosen someone who could actually play the goddamn guitar to demonstate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTSz2ZRzOIg

Dirt cheap battery-powered actual guitar amps are a well-established thing and lots of them have aux inputs if you want to plug MP3 players or whatever into them, so I'm kind of drawing a blank on what the point of this product is.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

If you were going to build a solidbody guitar with one pickup why the hell would it be the neck pickup? It's not like anybody's going to be playing bebop on an SG.

(That's a rhetorical question, I know the answer is ":lol: if you think the guy who buys that will ever actually play it")

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Does it at least have two separate necks and not one enormous horrible mononeck?
My local Guitar Center's boring, nothing dumber than a Chinese bootleg BC Rich.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
More pertinent question: Is the strap mounted in such a way that you can flip the guitar to instantly change necks? I don't know how that would work engineeringwise but I think we can all agree it would be Extremely Important.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

peter gabriel posted:

It's rare I say this about any guitar but I think those are out and out poo poo.
There's usually something I like on a guitar but with those, I dunno I guess the knobs look OK!

I think you have to give it a little credit for being audaciously stupid, instead of just the regular ol' boring kind of stupid.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Wikipedia posted:

A 1988 year-end roundup of the year's top albums in Melody Maker ranked Isn't Anything third after the Pixies' Surfer Rosa and the Sugar Cubes' Life's Too Good and said "Isn't Anything is raving nymphomania and out-of-body experience. These are swoon-songs, oblivious, languorous vocals and out-of-focus guitars which are like being taken to the brink of consciousness and held there. My Bloody Valentine are always 'falling out of sleep', or slipping back into amnesia. And sexlove is their ultimate drug, a deliriant, hallucinogen, and narcotic all at once. 'Isn't Anything' establishes them as absent-minded rulers of this daydream nation."
Stupid music reviewer poo poo rather than stupid music poo poo but jesus christ what kind of colostomy bag writes this inane nonsense.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Chrpno posted:

I was thinking about this the other day, particularly Q magazine in the late 90s and how they would praise some drab offering to the moon and back when no-one else cared. In particular "Let it Come Down" by Spiritualized was heralded as the 5 star second coming of Elvis Lennon Cobain, and disappeared without a trace weeks later. Meanwhile Oasis got 2 stars and called a "misfire" for What's the Story Morning Glory...

I was amusing myself at work by reading Wikipedia articles about My Bloody Valentine albums (the one about Loveless is especially tragicomic, and good God does Kevin Shields sound like the biggest rear end in a top hat in the world) and every review excerpt is this same godawful college-poetry word salad. I get that writing about music is not the most straightforward thing in the world (the old "dancing about architecture" problem) but that doesn't mean you can just write whatever fuckin thing you want.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I wanna be a gear reviewer.

Just remember the most important rule: Nothing can ever sound as good as something that was made in the 60s.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

White Dog Eggs posted:

This is the most horrible instrument I've ever seen, I can't think of a single nice thing to say about it.

A guitar you never play is the perfect accessory for the classic car you never drive.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

metaxus posted:

This is peak Bluesdad.

I assume it lives here, in a corner plugged into a Deluxe Reverb that has never been turned on next to a repro jukebox that has nothing but Beach Boys songs in it.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
The hell is an Ibanez ARC-100?

Fake edit: Just found one on reverb for $120 so I'm guessing it's not exactly a prestige instrument.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
This isn't a problem I've had to deal with very often since nobody ever says "hey cool a bass guitar, lemme try" but unless you specifically know somebody is a destructive dipshit I don't really see a problem with letting them play. Worst they can do is break a string, and strings are cheap.
(Well, bass strings aren't but nobody's going to break a bass string.)

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
At this price point I suppose Stupid Music poo poo becomes Sure Why The Hell Not Music poo poo.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I'm not usually a fan of natural finishes but that shape plus that color have just the right amount of Really loving Seventies to make me like it.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Snowy posted:

Whoops I shouldn't drink wine and shop. The seller accepted my $55 bid on this :v:

Your bad decision prevented my bad decision so thank you.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

I have so many questions I don't even know where to start.
What on earth is that neck? I can't make out the logo.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Sounds like it would've been more work than it was worth. Too bad... janky as it was, there was something weirdly compelling about the look. Symmetrical doublecut + treacle-thick natural finish is just so 70s.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Brand logo and model have been professionally removed from the neck. :jerkbag:

I had no idea this was a thing, but I guess I'm not surprised.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I wonder what the correlation is between doing that + having severe deep rooted fears of losing masculinity.

What's funny about it is the same thing that's funny about putting deceptive badges on a car: People who care won't be fooled (it's still got the Yamaha headstock shape) and people who would be fooled didn't actually care.
Actually, having a blank headstock probably makes it look more low-rent, like it's a bootleg or something.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
If I bought it I'd just write "$100" on the headstock with a sharpie. If I had any space left over I'd try to draw the Yamaha logo. Cheap guitars deserve to be celebrated, not scorned.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

KozmoNaut posted:

I like stuff without logos, because I'm not really a fan of excessive advertising :shrug:

So I actually like it, it's low-key in a good way.

If he'd said "for a nice clean look" instead of "because i'm insecure about playing a low-prestige guitar" I'd have been a lot less derisive.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Some people like the sound of batteries that are starting to run down. I guess you could make boutique batteries that are under voltage on purpose, and then charge 30x as much for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

I was thinking "that's kinda neat actually" until I saw the price tag.

• Locked thread