Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Fax Sr posted:

i'm not even convinced that having a set neck or neck-thru guitar is any better than an inexpensive bolt-on. plus repairs are easier with a bolt-on.

only matters on bass. guitar is way more forgiving

ugly as hell. yeah, i own one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Dr. Faustus posted:

That's this ugly guitar:

Sorry for ruining your thread. I'm still getting used to being stalked.

haha a gross natural finish strat and a locking nut HSH zebra abomination

sorry for ruining your thread with these quote unquote ugly guitars :smug:

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
no one even mentioned his ugly rear end warwick bass. holy loly

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Harry in Rio posted:

i've got a good friend with sort of a similar story. ed overcharges, is a complete narcissist, won't shut the gently caress up, ever, and wants to chip in his two cents, no matter what the freakin' topic is.

so I don't want to make a huge mistake, but is an ibanez Jet King acceptable? i mean, i really like the sound of the guitar. I think it could have done without that top bit of tortex imho, but drat i really like the feel of this fuckin guitar

am i in love with an ugly guitar?

its bad
isnt it

guitar is butt ugly but if you like the sound and feel it Does Not Matter

plus it's cool ugly not sperg ugly so if your halfway attractive you can probably pull it off

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

drunk asian neighbor posted:

A little late, but

no need ot justify the purchase, man. those basses always have great action. i'm a split-pickup purist, but you're not going to find one on a 5 string in that price range. best thing you could get that suits your needs, there

still ugly tho the curvy shiny smooth bodies are what alien poop looks like

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
just tell me you play through a 15'' speaker any other transgression is forgivable

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Allen Wren posted:

I'm thinking of buying a new guitar this spring. How can I be sure I am not buying an ugly one?

if you want a serious reply: acoustic or electric, budget, style of music you like, post or pm or whatever i'll help narrow down your options

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
can't slap? worthless

edit ugly guitars for a new page

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

lol

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Dr. Faustus posted:

I know! White pickups on a tobacco sunburst bass with a black pickguard???
How gauche!!

"string through bridge?? fuuuck that poo poo"

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
butts

mclast fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jan 2, 2014

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
i would play the everhecking hell out of snakitar or horsitar

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

man thats gross posted:

lol we need this

also ive been eyeing the gently caress out of the guitar on the left

im not usually one for figured anything but ive been looking for something in a humbucker and i own the guitar on the right and i loving love it sooooo

my oldest piece is a bass that color

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
on the one hand that 60th anniversary telecaster with the laquer finish did sound noticeably better than the polyurethane ones

on the other hand fender american standards sounded like poo poo before the 2012 pickup upgrade, so the competition was pretty weak

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

used to have this guy with creme P90s :3:

if you're gonna go flashy, go flashy

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

iostream.h posted:

Bigsbys look like a 55 year old with jet black straightened hair and Ed Hardy patches on all his clothes trying to pick up a 20 year old coed

i never whammy but the heavier bridge made it sound better. yup i'm that guy

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
for the F of it here's my collection now

missing my strat because i keep it at work

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
for sure that's a Tim Armstrong Hellcat deluxe, solid mahogany top laminate mahogany back and sides. i'm not a big fan of fender acoustics generally but i like this one. no cutaway on an acoustic electric, and that's a magnetic pickup so it still sounds acoustic plugged in but there's less feedback and distorted it sounds halfway decent. $450 with hardcase included

there's three common wood configurations to acoustics, spruce top mahogany back and sides is most common, which has a punchy midrange (lots of G and B strings in the tone, spruce top with rosewood next which has fuller lows and sweeter highs, expensive ones can get a really cool boom if you hit it right, and this one mahogany top with mahogany back and sides has a more even response, kind of a smoky, mellow flavour to the tone. it's great for vocal accompaniment

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

a retard posted:

exactly. the most important things in sounding good are (in descending order) skill/technique, amp, and pickup

this is true, but i disagree that all the other stuff doesn't matter at all. i work in a store, and A/B stuff all the time, and different guitars from the same line can sound very different even before you get into ash vs alder, maple vs rosewood fretboard, all sorts of different things. i actually dislike block inlays because i do think it affects.... something.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
that makes a lot of sense. my go-to story is that 60th anniversary telecaster, stock USA standard except for the laquer finish.. but i'd bet the QC was loads better besides

thumpo both of those are awesome ugly. kilhamster sorry but uncentered fretmarkers are ugly ugly

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
ah ha ha is that a moveable pickup like on the gibson grabber?

do you have any recordings with that monstrosity?

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Allen Wren posted:

I really wanted to make fun of his ridiculous wiring, but it's not that ridiculous.

Not like some.

funniest post of the thread got drat. dream theatre man is the only one with taste in amps and adrian belew uses two different modeling brands, into a bose PA rofl

parker fly adrian belew signature with built in line 6 hurgle burgle hrrrrf

mclast fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 10, 2014

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
different amps for different applications, imo a $2000+ amp is justified if you're regularly drawing 150 people or so at gigs. if you don't draw, f*ck it just be loud enough over the drummer

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
Ibanez and Fender both make decent stuff between $200-$300. Ibanez necks are a little more comfortable, fenders sound a little better

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
if keidis has ODd after One Hot Minute they'd have gone down as legends

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

I Might Be Adam posted:

Maybe if Dave Navarro had stuck around they could have squeezed out another good record.

i just like Aeroplane too much to wish it out of existence

rofl dean is the funniest company

VVVVVVVV yesssss

mclast fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 12, 2014

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

someone knws bass and is too antisocial to make friends and doesn't want to take the time to learn to play guitar or sing

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
lol at that subtitle

the man with five penises

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
jane's addiction is better than soundgarden but worse than the toadies. ba-boom.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
[ask] me to sperg out about ranking 90s bands

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

ashgromnies posted:

in terms of popular 90s bands I have to say NIN and smashing pumpkins and nirvana are all really amazing

ok amazing is hyperbole but they're loving good and I bet their live shows were fun in their heydays

aw poo poo so

NIN is forgettable because big black, killing joke, and nick cave exist. smashing pumpkins have like 5 good songs but that's commendable, i'm talking disarm and porcelina because zero is superceded by the one song RATM kept making. nirvana is good because swap meet is good enough to justify a career, they turned me on to the pixies, and steve albini produced in utero and any road that leads there can't be all bad. Pearl jam is a good 90s band if you lived through it and the afghan whigs are the #1 90s band in existence

the melvins are good because they inspired drone metal, the one good kind of metal

edit: nirvana also gets points for being remembered, a 11 yo girl i teach was all pumped up i could teach her smells like teen spirit including the part after the chorus and the solo. but for a band of young dumb assholes, playing music simple yet interesting enough that its practically inviting kids to pllay it, blink 182 is better

mclast fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 12, 2014

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

ashgromnies posted:

NIN took a different direction from any of those bands imo. Trent Reznor is cool and creative.

Big Black is cool and all but it's more on the lo-fi punk spectrum of simple aggressive songs. NIN took a much more produced, poppy route, putting sheen and polish over aggressive music combining sampling, live instruments, and synthesized instruments. If you play a NIN album really loud you'll see how dynamic/well produced it is. Plus the apparent insanity of the band's early live shows and the spectacle of their modern shows means that they've always tried to have a good live show

In Utero is the best nirvana album, Tourette's is my fav song

Blink 182 was cool as hell and yea learning to play their songs and nirvana songs was how I got started on guitar.

:shrug: i don't like well-produced music made before 2006

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

White Dog Eggs posted:

I would totally do this.

hypothetically how much would something like that cost? cheapo body, fake wood panelling, some halfway decent lipstick tube pickups? thing is so kistch it's cool again

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

man thats gross posted:

how about the spaceranger

still in production

lol derpy strat, derpy jaguar, derpy tele. derpy dano

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

that's about double in american money? probably not this year but that's rad as hell. thanks

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
i was really, really into Primus in highschool. Seen them a handful of times when Herb rejoined the band in between '04 and '06, and the Fancy Band once (bass, drum, percussion, sitar, saxophone - their cover of Shine On You Crazy Diamond was pretty alright). he's been getting more and more into the jamband scene for over a decade now, and i saw Primus with jay layne at a festival a few years ago and it was like seeing an old girlfriend, 'oh, nice, you're still alive and that's good. welp bye'

relatedly i fuckin love your av 3rd street residents guy

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

over $10,000 for this. and it's a 6 string fretless lol

and this is a lemmy signature rickenbacker wthhh

VVV word i only tolerate that on $200 danelectros

mclast fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

White Dog Eggs posted:

The intonation won't matter because tone!!!

I am totally torn about this... It comes with a stethoscope.

we carry those trevellers at my store. the action's always just ok but they do sound pretty good. i'd like this one if i thought it made sense to spend money on a guitar just for travelling

edit:

a kitten posted:

people, people
The bands I like are the good ones the other ones are overrated at best

from early last page but man, yeah that's how opinions work and when i drink i get talkative

FURTHERMORE nine inch nails has always been on the periphery of my experience, share some influences with bands i really like, and don't seem to have influenced anyone i really like. so,

mclast fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 13, 2014

• Locked thread