Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

comes along bort posted:

probably has more to do with the longer scale

longer scale and higher gauge both equal more tension.. but yeah there's things a 30" scale can do that a strat never will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
my mind is trying to make sense of that and it's not happening

gonna need a youtube

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

:monocle:

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
i just tape my pic to the end of this thing

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
there's definitely a new string sound that lasts for a day or too, then they stabilize at 95-80% niceness for a bunch of weeks.

i haven't noticed much difference in guitar string brands, but i hate 80/20 bronze acoustic strings and i'm strictly DR for bass

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
syncopation?

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
i'm pretty mad you posted steve albini just now

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Squirrel Burger posted:

There is now a whole new way to use your guitar skills to make horrible ringtones and elevator music.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yourockguitar/yrg-pro-professional-grade-midi-guitar?ref=live

who the gently caress uses a 13'' fretboard radius !

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
rofl i didn't realize that was Slint they're not math rock any more than Albini is. jesus.

C64 bass lady made a bried appearance but she owns, so, no worries

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
:arghfist: i heard of them as shoegaze, some little bridge between grunge and postrock, but fuckitall i dunno

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
fret buzz on one string? raise or shim the saddle

edit: buy everything for under $90. EVERYTHING

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
looks like a baller p90 variant too :sparkles:

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
Ibanez makes decent basses and acoustics. Their electrics are silly.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

BUSH 2112 posted:

For some reason it's hard to find a good picture of the whole guitar, but that includes all of the terribleness. The finish and inlay really pop and look amazing in person, though.

hehehe i like that

for bass, the Fender Precision is always gonna be my top pick unless you're playing metal. that big fat split pickup sound with fresh, thin DRs, you can growl, thump, or snap better than anything.

Warwicks have that, there's like a thing bass players are into with natural looking woods and exaggerated shapes, just GIS custom bass and you can fill this thread for days. i've played a few warwicks and never been really moved by one

Ibanez basses get near the fender tone, and generally play way better

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
o btw the guitar i commissioned from WDE is still gonna happen, now that he's back around. and i got myself one of these to hold me over

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

bitchtard posted:

I recommend doing what feels good, than doing what sounds good

I recommend doing what sounds good, than doing what feels good. Then after that, what looks good.

BUSH 2112 posted:

Yeah, I don't think I'd want to play in a normal rock band with my bass. I'm more into the Les Claypool style of bass playing. I do love J-basses, though. P-basses do nothing for me, for whatever reason. They sound kind of wimpy imo.

I went through a hard enough Claypool phase that I used two A strings and two G strings in standard tuning. And yet, we are forever enemies because my strongest musical opinion is that P basses own.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
i'll narrow my eyes and reluctantly accept

i'm watchin u tho

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

gently caress Your Website posted:

OOoooooooh

When you said "guitar shirts" I thought you were talking about the kind of guitar t-shirt you get free for sending in empty D'Addario string packs or buying a Fender guitar or doing other stupid things, of which I've owned and worn dozens over the years despite dubious-at-best aesthetics--but you know, hey who cares, free shirt.

But these, these other shirt. Are bad. V bad

yeah.... i have one of these

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
guitarists need 12'' speakers, bassists need 15''. I'll let gear be gear and modeling be modeling but I will never EVER trust a bassist who plays through a 8x10''

also White Dog Eggs e-mail me? I would like to revive the station wag-uitar!

mclast fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 7, 2015

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Harry in Rio posted:

I just played a Teye La Pirata. Looks like someone went crazy on a Gibson Nighthawk, but with just one pickup. The owner is asking 2500. It plays nice. Sounds great. Not a fan of dragons, the tuners, the "mood" knob or the whole "Day of the Dead" Mexican motif going on.

Extremely cool. $600 or less.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

muike posted:

i just like metalcore bnads that were into pantera

can you post some of those? i'm just getting into harder music and that sounds cool

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

s.i.r.e. posted:

lol

What's the goon consensus on Steinbergers (guitar, not bass)? I wanted to try one out hoping that it'd be lighter than my current guitar due to my current back pain preventing me from playing it too long. It's loving miserable.

The part that's there is still solid, right? You should look into a Dan Electro or something else hollow, this this Guild http://guildguitars.com/g/m75-aristocrat/

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

reallivedinosaur posted:

I never said that at all. You can keep your old ways. You can even play a classical lute strung with real cat gut if you want.

:crossarms: Almost every electric guitar uses passive pickups. What are you talking about?

Active is is standard on acoustic/electrics, otherwise is it's some basses and like EMGs

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
I'm not gonna poo poo on digital modelling as a concept, but I am gonna laugh at you if you have a strat and only ever use two pickups at once

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
lol like why even buy a strat?? you want humbuckers dawg

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

reallivedinosaur posted:

I don't have much choice for recording stuff to practice over, the wiring in this building is pretty crap and the mains hum is annoying to me and it's not a problem worth throwing my money at.

So it's not worth throwing money at, but it is worth revamping the standard of every guitar, amp, and effects manufacturer. Ok

Also using computers to make music, literally impossible in tyool 2016. You are a silly dude

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

White Dog Eggs posted:

Haha, amazed I was missed!

I want to give a bit shout out to BigHustle for not sending me turd in the post as the poor bugger has been waiting ages for his guitar, I've been having horrible trouble with the finish, should hopefully be sorted soon.

Anyone got any idea what happened to the guy who wanted the GBScaster? He stopped replying to my emails/PM's. I now have this horrible guitar sitting in my living room that people keep pawing over/avoiding eye-contact with.

I'm back around if you want to give the Station Wag-guitar another go

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

One of the Best

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Dr. Faustus posted:

I have a moral objection to bootleg instruments.

This is my newest obsession, actually. I've always wanted a T-Type electric without actually buying a Fender, but I found this new Ibanez Talman TM302MTFB and I put a horrendously expensive set of Joe Barden Electronics Danny Gatton T-Type pickups in it. I absolutely love it. I bought a Fulltone OCD with the FPS-3 18V power supply to power the pedal and a wonderful tc electronic Corona Chorus to go with.
All my outboard gear is old and dead, so I guess I'm building up a pedal collection.

Yay for tax refunds! Also I'm back at my old job and feeling pretty good about life in general.

I could definitely understand how and why Telecaster purists (and others) would consider this instrument truly (ugly) stupid music poo poo. I think if you were a Tele person and you played it, you'd at least admit it plays great and sounds amazing.

P.S. - It's a shame WDE is stuck with the GBS guitar. I wanted that story to have a happy ending, and I hope it still will!

We have that at my shop, it's cool and almost reminds me of the guitar WDE and I never really got off the ground

I'm a little surprise you put 'buckers in it, is all

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Dr. Faustus posted:

If they're good enough for Gatton, they're good enough for me!

(also, the bridge pickup was noisy with any gain, these 'buckers solve that)

A little more about the pickups: You know how P90s have that reputation about being so clear and precise that they point out every flaw in your playing? I would say that having played both, these pickups have that same scary beautiful characteristic.

really what i'm saying is, you're right it's definitely not a tele purists' guitar. glad you dig it tho it's cool lookin. it's way better for you than P90s too, those are only for 90s alt-pop

I have one SG and one split-coil PBass and another 5 single-coil electrics, just is what it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Fair Hallion posted:

serious question - what's your beef with Fenders
(is it build quality, design, VFM, what)

correct me if I'm wrong Dr. F but it's mostly just fretboard radius?

Ibanez keeps an extremely flat fingerboard radius compared to fenders' modern [sorta flat] and classic [not really at all flat] fingerboard style

gibson is a bit flatter than fender but ibanez, warwick, PRS, etc. all run even flatter and very technical players prefer them for that reason, you can get the action lower and more consistant.

• Locked thread