Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Man of Many Pants posted:

Is this a steam punk?

This was a real thing but yeah, pretty much just steampunks and Tom Waitses are into them now

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroh_violin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I made it with my dad when I was 16 and I will never get rid of it. :3:

Anyway, I used to be really into exactly the same guys and music Dr. Faustus is catching poo poo for. If it was super hard to play, that meant it was Good MusicTM and I was into it no matter how boring and unlistenable it was. Then I actually went to a G3 one year and realized that Steve Vai had no soul. It happened sometime between the part when he came prancing out swinging his guitar around his neck and poo poo and when he started playing in front of his strategically positioned fan so his shirts and hair and stuff would billow dramatically while he shredded. Even as an 18 year old kid I remembered thinking to myself "this is pretty loving stupid". I was pretty pissed at myself for avoiding good music for so long when I finally started listening to new things.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Rhopunzel posted:

Yep, same. I'd hang out on guitar forums where they'd gush over Dream Theater and jazz fusion and I tried to play along with it but I just couldn't. I got sick of trying to convince myself I liked prog rock or wanted to play it and was like gently caress this I'm gonna play things I like.

Yeah I was that Dream Theater kid, I went to that G3 mostly to see John Petrucci.

White Dog Eggs posted:

That's pretty sweet! Is that an oil finish?

Haha nope, polyurethane :slick:

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

brickswereshat posted:

I just listened to Quantum Whatever and honestly, it wasn't THAT bad for it's genre. I've played with a LOT of spergy guitarists over the years, and while he DOES appear to be largely insufferable (I've never worked/played with/met him in person), as a guitarist he's... OK.

What I actually thought was genuinely interesting was the "Early Rush"/"Tony Levin" feel of his bass playing. Very clean and bright with a measured staccatto like Levin with all the chord arpeggio breakdowns of early Rush. Dr. Faustus, your soloing seems choppy and broken, where it almost seems like you're taking breaths in the solos. Those breaks feel unnatural and really jarring in the context of the fluidity of the rest of the song. This isn't "FLAME ON" or anything like that, but simple honest opinion. I honestly think that in the right band, you could be an excellent bassist (again following the Quantum Eh genre), but your guitar work needs to find a little more of an organic, fluid feel.

This post is 100% non-sarcastic, for the record.

No one is ragging on him because he's a laughably bad guitarist or anything, it's just kind of fascinating to find someone who's been around here for so long but still honestly doesn't understand how a troll works. Doctor, here is a useful primer on internet malevolence written for older folks that might help you understand what's happening to you here

this one new York times article posted:

At the next table, middle-schoolers with punk-rock haircuts feasted noisily on energy drinks and whipped cream. Fortuny sipped a white-chocolate mocha. He proceeded to demonstrate his personal cure for trolling, the Theory of the Green Hair.

“You have green hair,” he told me. “Did you know that?”

“No,” I said.

“Why not?”

“I look in the mirror. I see my hair is black.”

“That’s uh, interesting. I guess you understand that you have green hair about as well as you understand that you’re a terrible reporter.”

“What do you mean? What did I do?”

“That’s a very interesting reaction,” Fortuny said. “Why didn’t you get so defensive when I said you had green hair?” If I were certain that I wasn’t a terrible reporter, he explained, I would have laughed the suggestion off just as easily. The willingness of trolling “victims” to be hurt by words, he argued, makes them complicit, and trolling will end as soon as we all get over it.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

KING OF THE THREAD

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Flops posted:

not so fancy

Seasick Steve owns, here is that guitar in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BkI3zKX1vc

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Boob scotch on the rocks

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Haha holy poo poo, I had no idea he pulled a Carrot Top. Good for him I guess.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n1l-_UiWbs

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

sporklift posted:

And yes that dual pick guard atrocity is ugly as gently caress.

He says it's a 1930s Martin though, so it might be a nice guitar that happens to be ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Oozedad

• Locked thread