Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

I-V-vi-IV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Ootrek posted:

that poo poo is way too complicated.

that's why it's next level and a guaranteed panty dropper

like musical rohypnol

e: unless you're these fedora-wearers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOlDewpCfZQ

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
learn a few jazz chords and that thing where you play partial barre chords but let the b and e string ring open

also the iron maiden progression (i-VI-VII-i) played as slow arpeggios is surprisingly not a vagina repellent

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 29, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

RandomAction Man posted:

its a piece of wood with strings on it who the gently caress gives a poo poo

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

thank you

it's so hard to find lefty instruments

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
don wilson and nokie edwards

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

thelightguy posted:

and seriously, i can count on one hand the number of touring professionals i have encountered that had speakers in those 4x12 cabs stacked behind them. poo poo is set dressing and nothing more

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

Look at the tubes glowing in those ENGLs. I love that glow. Don't you?

no because i'm not that fascinated by 140 year old technology

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

thelightguy posted:

i unironically use danelectro pedals and duncan designed pickups come at me bro

i used to play in a lovely d-beat band with a yamaha pacifica and a black coffee pedal into a crate bass combo it totally owned

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Spanish Manlove posted:

We were all teenagers once

like i said it toally owned

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9el2lg2olpE

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
the ibanez jem is the udo dirkschneider of the guitar universe

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

01011001 posted:

he definitely owns

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Jedrick posted:

how long till the good doctor goes full puppet master on us?

check back several iterations of the wall of text replies, it's buried in there somewhere

Odinsgrace posted:

I actually see this bass all the time. Its really popular for some awful reason.

i think one of the dudes from fleetwood mac or whitesnake played one

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

axolotl farmer posted:

that black acoustic with the white buttprint is pretty ugly

some are okay and others are ugly, but the truly hideous thing is the music that's made with them

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

saganite posted:

acoustic guitar still works as well as it always has though (provided you are also attractive and can sing)

jamming some dave out on the quad and nailing tri-delt chubsters is america's favorite pastime

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

saganite posted:

I'm sure that works as well, but I don't gently caress fat or chubby chicks

you don't know what you're missing

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

saganite posted:

they're supposed to give great head, but so does a lot of attractive girls so I don't see the point

oh it's so much more than that my friend

Rhopunzel posted:

i thought paul mccartney was responsible for that

wasn't he in queen? or am i thinking of system of a down

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
that's really lovely bookmatching for what that dumb thing costs

plus it's probably got serious neck warp issues knowing gibson's quality control

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hobohemian posted:

I am a bad guitar player and I bought this recently:http://www.rondomusic.com/CETIP90bk.html Tell me experts, how ugly is this guitar?

cheap guitars are largely exempt because they're not pretending to be anything other than cheap

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

thelightguy posted:

Actually it is really kind of sad, Agile makes better sounding, better quality Les Paul-alikes than Gibson makes Les Pauls, and they charge loving pennies for them.

agiles are basically rebranded epiphones/ibanezes depending on model made in the same korean factories, except they're paying whoever does the fretwork a little more because they always have really well-dressed frets

gibson's the one company where you really are just paying for the name on the headstock, which nobody except the dr. faustuses of the world gives a poo poo about. at least fender still puts out an okay instrument at a reasonable price, and you can still get a japanese made one (which are the best, hands down) for only a few hundred

if you can find one the early 90s mexican standard fenders which had a small "squier series" label on the headstock are really good. at the time only the bodies and final assembly were done in mexico. the necks were still made across the border in ontario because they hadn't set up the tooling yet in the new factory, and they shipped them back up north for final qc to ensure the mexicans got it right

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

White Dog Eggs posted:

Worth noting that PRS post-1994 are really terrible price-wise, £1000+ for something made on a CNC machine is not on at all, they also have these horrible neck heels for some reason, makes it way harder to reach the lower frets than it should do.

lol ed roman is that you?

http://www.edroman.com/techarticles/prs_heel.htm

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

White Dog Eggs posted:

Famous guitar players never use actualy branded instruments, if Gibson signs a deal with someone to play nothing but Les-Pauls on stage they will go to a master luthier, get them to build a bespoke instrument them slap gibson on the headstock and make the luthier sign an NDA, it's skeevy as gently caress.

to their credit ibanez is kinda open about that with lacs

e: and i think fender does the same with the masterbuilt series, though they're way too expensive for what they are

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 31, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Bonzo posted:

This explains any endorsement deal of drums, bass, and guitar In the 80s. So many assholes bought $150 guitars in 1986 because EVH had a Kramer logo on the headstock.

the irony there is van halen's frankenstrat is just off the shelf warmoth parts, which the real deal shredder dudes on shrapnel who put out all those instructional tapes used as well

tbf warmoth is pretty quality stuff and still cheaper than buying a whole guitar if you're going the made in usa route

e: speaking of custom shop/endorsee nonsense

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 31, 2013

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dolphin posted:

The Heritage is run by old Gibson employees that refused to move to Nashville and they still build their guitars in the original Gibson factory in Kalamazoo Michigan. Much better than Gibson, and much cheaper.

i dunno, heritage charges about as much as gibson does these days, though they are nice

edwards (esp) is probably the best current non-gibson lp maker. even with shipping/customs and poo poo from japan they're still about half the price of a new gibson. and they come with good stock pickups and a less doofy headstock

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Bolek posted:

jesus if you think vai is a boring shredder you should hear zakk wylde

mr. wielandt at least had the occasional half-decent song to play endless pentatonic scales and pinch harmonics over

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
lol you develop serious country roots as a jew from the new jersey suburbs

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

MotherFuckingT-REX posted:

it would be HELLA rad to own as a 12 yr old ill definitely give you that though

that would be some next-level swag for a little kid

it's either that or a middle aged dork still slumming in his rockabilly band that even the girls in the roller derby league think is a little sad

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
kind of an odd history lesson considering a) nobody except guitar for the practicing musician subscribers have ever heard of king's ex and b) blue cheer, led zeppelin, black sabbath, van halen, etc.

but i guess if you're the kind of person who can stand to listen to more than a minute of steve vai and have zero frame of reference it makes sense

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
so i just found out ibanez put up all their old catalogs, which is a great resource for finding ugly guitars to post. anyway going through them i realized this thread has a perfect mascot (other than poster emeritus and our muse dr faustus): mr. frank gambale

frank gambale is according to the copy in one of the catalogs a "distinguished jazz guitarist and sweep-picking virtuoso", which i guess meant something in the dark ages of guitar playing, unlike today where every 14 year old kid can bust out more sweeps than a janitorial staffing service, but none of them know how to write a memorable riff

during his endorsement deal with ibanez, his appearance in their catalogs chronicles the sudden rise and prolonged, increasingly bizzarely-dressed fall of one seriously weird looking dude and his ugly guitar, as he's gradually pushed further and further back while young upstarts like the korn guys, some dude from offspring, dino cazares, and even giz butt from the prodigy get higher billing as the 90s wear on

1989:

1990:

1991:

1992:

note: apparently mr. gambale has taken to shopping from the mckids collection
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSlXIWhJ6gA

1993:

1994:

as frank takes a backseat to the guitar ibanez desperately tries to peddle to the five remaining people who even know who this guy is and haven't already bought his signature axe, we note a special friend makes an appearance in part of the same photo:

that's right. none other than our friend, mr. bassface himself john patitucci

1997:

1998:

big changes in 98 for ol' frankie. he finally allowed his mom to cut his hair after she'd been nagging him for ages that he'd never find a nice girl looking like a drowned rat. apparently he also had a disco ball surgically attached to his knees. perhaps from a freak sweep-arpeggio accident?

and finally we come to 1999, when gambale's endorsement ran out and his last appearance in the vaunted ibanez catalog, almost as an aside. a tiny photo tucked in the corner of page 10, alongside guys from such well-remembered bands like pitchshifter and reel big fish

thanks for taking a trip down memory lane with photos of some goober's lovely haircut. here's another page of totally rad guitars from the ibanez usa custom shop, which seemed to have been painted by the design team that makes those shirts with the wolves and unicorns and wizards dunking flaming basketballs

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

The Tao Jones posted:

Chris Poland

him and marty friedman. though he quit doing the shred thing pretty early on in favor of new age and j-pop

pretty funny watching tour videos from like 1990 and he's translating japanese fan letters for dave mustaine. dude was the alpha weeaboo way before they coined the term

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Rhopunzel posted:

Yup precisely. I was even thinking of Guthrie Govan as one of the bulletproof artists they'd reference. I had a similar realisation with art - I can appreciate stuff like that from a technical standpoint, but it would never go in my playlist.

kinda says everything that needs to be said when you type his name into youtube and an actual song doesn't pop up until like the third page of results

Rhopunzel posted:

marty friedman was one of my idols but that j-pop poo poo was just lol, i really hoped he'd have come back when megadeth reformed in 2004.

my favorite guitarist though is robbin crosby and i know it makes no sense and i'm not sorry ._.

he probably makes way more money now as a tv personality than he'd make touring with the grampas of thrash oldies tours

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Rhopunzel posted:

he's had TV shows and features on a lot of stuff and other artists songs, but every time I've seen him on one they're all super awkward around him and subtitle his japanese

that could just as easily be because everyone else is japanese and that's how they treat outsiders

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
supposedly he's a nice guy but the tone king dude should probably kill himself

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

haha they actually released as a bonus disc on one of their albums just the guitar solos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP5mJUwnX9k

e: can't bring up trey azagthoth without posting this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MImaK0MDac

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ZombieParts posted:

why

because he's exactly like most of you?

yep. he's living the dream

Snowy posted:

Oh god holy poo poo that's awesome

the best part is his quake iii arena clan is named sailor scouts

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jan 1, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
guitars in this vid range from okay to ugly but johnny demarco sure knows how to sell it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRQJgZVxRX0

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

saganite posted:

dear thread, are these guitars acceptable :ohdear:

can we not post our normal boring guitars asking if the thread approves?

Captain Tolerable posted:

I remember watching Cribs and Redman was living in this tiny house with a Dreamcast and lotion on his nightstand near his bed.

Redman owns.

that was the one where he shows off the casio keyboard from radio shack in the tiny bedroom and it's like that's where all the wu-tang albums were made and there's some dude passed out on the floor in the basement living room right

totally owns

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jan 1, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

VarXX posted:

i think we can all agree anyone who voluntarily buys a guitar is a clown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx