Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I love how bluesdad didn't even bother hooking up a fake cable in that video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I've been in an isolation booth at -6 dB for a friend of mine's study when I was in college. It was infuriating, and yes, you can hear the rushing blood in your ears, and it seems REALLY loud until another normal noise happens. After a while it feels like your ears are constantly pressurized like on a plane before they pop.

gently caress isolated anechoic chambers.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Bonzo posted:

But what if you are like me and have severe tinnitus? If it can silence that I'll take two of them.

No man you got it backwards

It'll make your tinnitus seem completely deafening.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Synonamess Botch posted:

i gave a guitar to a friend/bandmate 4 years and 2000 miles ago and i thought i'd never see it again. well the other week it took a plane home and she's all mine again.

in honor of this i'm going to post it here so you can tell me how ugly it is. hope yall like old-rear end abused guitars!!

I thought this was the worst music equipment thread not the music equipment that owns bones thread

(I wanna play the hell out of that thing)

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Rosewood AND maple fretboards together?!? :barf:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Ferrous Wheel posted:

And speaking of Ibby, can we talk about the fact that they still make a signature model for the guy from the Offspring? Did they just sign him to a hundred-year contract in 1992? I don't exactly hate the guitar, except for that input jack. Also the TV-yellow-over-basswood probably looks pretty underwhelming in person but whatever.

I don't know what to think about this thing. It's basically a tele with P90s and an arm contour in concept which should be awesome, but the execution is... lacking. The body is some weird reverse offset with a really long and ugly lower horn. The jack is on the chrome electronics plate, along with ONE of the black knobs, while the other is chilling out on the black pickguard and basically invisible. I mean, it looks comfortable to play, and probably sounds great, but it's just an aesthetic mess, and not in an endearing way.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

My main problems with that supreme are that the fretboard inlays are dumb and ugly, and the mini HB looks dumb jammed right up against the neck like that and also looks like it might fall off if it encountered a stuff breeze. Also I don't like gold hardware, but that's a personal preference. Personally the aesthetics would be OK if they stuck with the standard HH setup or dual P90s or something, but that mini at the neck just makes it look kinda misshapen.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Chrpno posted:

Yeah let's turn a funky classic into some easy listening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN6VeTP75kY

The whole thing is just ugh. I would rather see Henry Kaiser loving up a C major scale than hear this John Mayer elevator tripe :colbert:

Is... Is that the same dude playing each of the instruments?

Edit: oh my god that bass solo :gonk:

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Aug 21, 2014

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

iostream.h posted:

Dodged a bullet my rear end.
It's achieved sentience and has already launched its first attack on the human race!

Gonna plug that sumbitch into the Soldano and it's Skynet 2014 WDE and I are gonna be responsible for the obliteration of us all! :dance:

totally ok with armageddon as long as my face is being melted by sick riffs and not h-bombs

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

^^^ based on this I knew it was going to be a Chappers vid before I even clicked.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

White Dog Eggs posted:

I missed this first time around. This is the funniest loving thing. I'm going to get some vinyl stickers made and put them on the next JEM I work on.

get some giant googly eyes instead

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I sure hope that neck joint is pocketed somehow

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

All the strat pickguards I've seen have some foil in the area the pots attach to. Maybe just to provide some extra grounding or something?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

crashdome posted:

Looking for something to do with that old 50s, 60s, or 70s counter top your replacing?

would

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

this fukken Zachary guy posted:

why is it that most of the Idiots in the world gravitate toward guitars?

well at least he got this part right

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Dr. Faustus posted:

Is it fair to say that actual SOLID-BODY production guitars had straight headstocks?

IDK if this is a realpost or not but hasn't pretty much every Gibson ever made had a tilt-back headstock?

In fact, didn't pretty much all electric guitars of any stripe have angled headstocks because that's what accoustics had right up until Leo Fender shook things up with the Telecaster and its utilitarian design? Even the Rickenbacker frying pan had an angled headstock.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Faustus.

Faustus.

You do not need to defend your or your guitars' e-honor whenever someone impugns you or them in this or any other thread.

Let it gooooooooooo

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Faustus.

Faustus.

Skill is in no way a prerequisite for criticism. Particularly aesthetic criticism. Film critics are usually not accomplished filmmakers. Music critics are not usually accomplished musicians. Art critics are usually not accomplished artists.

Suggesting that criticism is invalidated because the critic is not accomplished in the field being criticized is a losing proposition every time.

I mean, it's not like we're saying JEMs are BAD guitars, they're actually fantastic to play. They're just (IMO) ugly and harken back to the worst excesses of deplorable 80's style.

It's kind of like DeWalt power tools. They're pretty darn good at being actual tools, but I think they look kinda dumb, like Stryper in impact drill form.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I need to get some ugly guitars. All my stuff is p vanilla right now.

Ugly poo poo owns.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

tbh the first four of those look like guitars for bassists

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I would buy the poo poo out of that thing if I found it languishing in the dusty corner of a local pawnshop.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Dude, iostream, you're actually a working loving musician. That's something that half the people in these threads (including scrublords like me) can only dream about. thingdads are dudes who buy hella gear and only sit around in their office when they're not doing lawyer/doctor/whatever poo poo and play blues licks on $12k of studio-grade equipment.

If you're gigging you're automatically exempt from bluesdad status. Also older people that still rock out own incredibly, so keep on keepin' on. :guitar:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

make a fuzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Tele talk: if you want to get started with teles to see if you like the shape/tone, it's hard to go wrong with Squier's Classic Vibe series. They're fantastically made guitars for the price, and nail that classic tele sound.

Downside: heavy as gently caress (CV50's, at least, can't speak to CV Custom)

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

My first guitar was a Teisco Del Ray ET200 tulip in red. It was an irredeemable piece of poo poo, with high action, flaky electronics, a trem that basically made it impossible to keep in tune, and a warped (not just bowed) neck. I hated that loving thing and got rid of it after about 8 months.

My second guitar was an early 90's MIA Peavy Predator that I still have and refurbished with all new GFS hardware and electronics earlier this year. :)

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Synonamess Botch posted:

You know I just picked up a 94 predator and I was gonna gut it and do it up gfs style too. Any recommendations on hardware? In particular I'm curious about tuners

The tuners and the trem were the two hardest parts to get right. The tuners use the vintage bushing size (8.5 mm) which means most modern tuners won't fit without boring out the headstock. Fortunately, using one of these and boring only from the backside worked perfectly, and then I dropped a set of these GFS tuners in, where the screw hole lines up with one of the existing screw holes for the poo poo-awful tuners the Predator came with. I only bored from the backside because the bushings those tuners come with actually fit great through the original headstock diameter holes on the top side.

I've heard the Wilkinson vintage Fender-style tuners fit the spacing on the Predator headstock perfectly, but would need all-new screw holes drilled.

The Predator trem only uses 4 screws and has a slightly oddball spacing. The only one I could find that was a direct drop-in replacement was the Wilkinson WV6SB, which I had to order off eBay. Only need mild sanding around the trem cavity and it worked great. It works because 5 out of the 6 holes are elongated slots, and line up with the existing holes.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Fair Hallion posted:

my guitar is a bong, your argument is something something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcCrTahsLg0

That poor, poor Reverend :(

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

muike posted:

what the gently caress is this

someone let the tone air out

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I was distraught, for example, when I discovered The Distillers and realized there'd never be any more.

I'm now much happier there will never be another Distillers album. And holy poo poo does Spinneret suck.

Brody Dalle released a new solo album earlier this year that's pretty Distillers-y. Maybe take a listen?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Stux posted:

furthermore: punk owns

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

IronLawnmower posted:

Tips to avoid demolishing my house? It's kinda already been bought and it's just sitting in my garage waiting till Christmas.
Have I done goofed?

Play it in the garage. Cheaper to rebuild when you explode it with sick metal riffs.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

nws that poo poo man, jesus

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

neck dive on that has gotta be ridic

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Get 2: one to play slide on, one to use as the slide. Which you also play slide on.

Slideception

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

this is like the polar opposite of that dope-rear end lee malia epi les paul that was posted in the ml guitar thread

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Allen Wren posted:

Was that the HB/P90 one with the plain wood finish?

Yessir

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Chalupa Joe posted:

New for 2015:

Yours for only $2599!

The pickup rings aren't even aligned with each other. Top-notch Gibson Craftsmanship right there.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Fair Hallion posted:

c'mon thread, don't die.

anyone wanna laugh at the cartoon amp I just bought ?

why would i laugh at it

vaporizers own

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I posted this in the other guitar thread but it's too hilarious not to share here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

White Dog Eggs posted:

The thing that confuses me the most is the Mosrite bridge.

Hallmark mostly makes (really nice) Mosrite clones, so it's probably the only tremolo they stock.

• Locked thread